R.I.P Corae Damien

MiniMilton

Visit site
Even if you get no compensation, it would be good to get evidence that this was an issue they knew about and then expose them for it. I would follow up on the clues you had on facebook and try to speak to anyone that may have tried the horse out previous to you or known the horse locally.

On the other hand after such an emotionally exhausting few weeks, you may also benefit from just putting the whole horrible experience behind you

hayinamanger

Visit site
DA, you need some time to process all that has happened. I am relieved that Damien is safe from any further danger and trauma, and also that you were not hurt.

The breeders actions are beyond the comprehension of any decent people. It is hard to get your brain around the fact that they sold a young homebred horse that clearly was incompatible with living a normal life and had no thought for his safety or yours.

I will gladly chip in if you decide to take them to court.

maree t

Visit site
I am so sorry that it has come to this. Give yourself some time to come to terms with it and then get really angry !!. They shouldnt be allowed to get away with it as only by luck was nobody hurt or killed. They are sick people to have put you and others through this , but , it is going to drag things out and cause you more grief . I dont have many spare pennies but I would glady add to a fund to see them bought to task and hope you see some of the money back. Nobody would blame you for moving on but you will have massive support from your friends on here if you need them .

Suechoccy

Visit site
Take at least two weeks to yourself to let yourself calm down and your head stop spinning with the emotion of it all.

Then have a think about whether you want to take it further or not. If you want to take it further, be very clear in your own mind what you expect realistically to get out of taking it further, then have a further good think about whether that end is worth putting yourself through further stress over several months/couple of years for.

Don't let yourself be swayed either by well-meaning peeps who say "you must take it further to stop it happening again.." or by those who say "put it behind you."

Has to be your own personal decision once enough time has passed for you to think calmly/rationally from a stepped-back-out-of-it perspective.

Whatever decision you then make will be the right one for you.

xx

Dollysox

Visit site
Take at least two weeks to yourself to let yourself calm down and your head stop spinning with the emotion of it all.

Then have a think about whether you want to take it further or not. If you want to take it further, be very clear in your own mind what you expect realistically to get out of taking it further, then have a further good think about whether that end is worth putting yourself through further stress over several months/couple of years for.

Don't let yourself be swayed either by well-meaning peeps who say "you must take it further to stop it happening again.." or by those who say "put it behind you."

Has to be your own personal decision once enough time has passed for you to think calmly/rationally from a stepped-back-out-of-it perspective.

Whatever decision you then make will be the right one for you.

xx

^^^^^^ This, totally.

_GG_

Visit site
im not going to make any decisions today. just going to try to heal. have a drink and stop beating myself up. im getting better.

I like the post above about taking some proper time. You have support if you need it, but that is all up to you and in your own time. Just so sad for you :(

AshTay

Visit site
Have also followed this thread quietly and fully support your decision. I have known someone else have to make a similar decision and you really have rescued him by letting him go peacefully and without any pain or fear. The alternative would no doubt have been a horrific accident sometime soon leaving him, and probably others, frightened and in pain. Have that drink, think about his qualities and personality that attracted you to him and cry for him. But don't for one second forget that you did the right thing and his and your story may help others in similar situations.
xxxxxx

digitalangel

Visit site
I am hoping this thread will serve as a warning to others - i am not naming the breeder so within Ts and Cs but im sure if someone wanted to know they could find out.

_GG_

Visit site
I am hoping this thread will serve as a warning to others - i am not naming the breeder so within Ts and Cs but im sure if someone wanted to know they could find out.

This thread is currently the top result on google search for "Corae horses" so yes, I think it has the capacity to warn others.

cambrica

Visit site
I have noticed they have a 4yo (2009) Appaloosa few spot mare for sale for £750. Sold as a brood mare as not 100% sound ?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
RIP Damien - no more worry or pain fella, just a good rest, lots of mates to play with, and lots of green grass to eat to your heart's content.

Run Free Fella. You have touched a lot of hearts x

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have noticed they have a 4yo (2009) Appaloosa few spot mare for sale for £750. Sold as a brood mare as not 100% sound ?
I just saw this too. A homebred 14.3hh unsound 4yo (no cause for unsoundness given) to make 'a lovely brood mare.'

Sorry for thread hijack DA, but what reputable stud sells on unsound stock to breed from? If the lameness was due to injury, the ad would surely have stated it.

So sorry that you ever got involved with these shysters. There are some real low lives around.

Saneta

Visit site
Well at least you won't go to bed tonight, dreading tomorrow. You and your friends have a drink tonight, know you have done the only possible kindest thing you could do for your poor horse, and as you say, give yourself some time to reflect. If you do decide to pursue this wicked person, I would be happy to contribute too.

digitalangel

Visit site
YOu are all *so* sweet. no idea what to do next. i need a few days to think things through. Ive put the post on the epona stars / dodgy horse dealer FB so people can be aware. If people dont buy maybe they will do the right thing with the horses they do have. I dont know about the mare who is unsound, they told me at the time it had an injury but they also told me he was safe as well. i wouldnt trust anything they have to say again. Part of me wishes they would do the right thing, get in contact and take him back, or give me the money i paid back. but i doubt they are those kind of people. Im sure they will justify it to themselves one way or another.

paddy555

Visit site
I hope eventually you will be able to look back and realise what an amazing thing you did to help Damien. He was a very lucky boy to have come to you.
RIP Damien.

I found this
http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/equine_uveitis.htm under "causes", half a dozen lines up from the bottom of that section.

I did just wonder if that was the problem and if he was OK in his old home as he knew his way around. When he moved it was literally blind panic.

Shantara

Visit site
Oh what a handsome boy :(
Such a terrible shame, but as everyone else has said, you did the right thing for him.

And as others have said, it was a good thing he found someone so brave and kind to help him :(

*biggest hugs*

digitalangel

Visit site
Thank you all.

Given what the hunstman had to say, i would say probably a brain tumour. a horse that had eyesight issues would not have been able to jump and clear electric fencing ( neighbours use that elastic thread stuff )

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to amtw23uk who is my livery and just came in an gave me a hug. As hes known the horse for a few weeks now i am sure it was hard for him too. and i missed his post on the earlier thread. so thank you Ant xxx

Biska

Visit site
What a truly awful story, and shameful behaviour by the breeders. I wonder if a dispassionate and clear report of the whole sad saga should be sent to the relevant breed society for the attention of their committee. I see that the breeders advertise on the site of The British Appaloosa Society, I am almost certain that this society will have a code of conduct or ethics to which members will have to adhere.
The society will not wish to see the breed represented in this way and may take action. At the very least it will be noted and discussed. The breeders will probably be asked to give their side, which will be uncomfortable at least & might make them think twice in future.

Enjoy your drink tonight sure in the knowledge that you at least did the right thing.