Rant - The Current Dog 'Pandemic'

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I wonder why it is deemed more acceptable to cross horse breeds but not dogs?

don't see much point in that either. I mean, before WBs took over you had ID x TB and anglos, got the point of those.

But (and I will upset folk with this) why cross (for example) an Iberian with a WB? They are two very different animals, you either want one type or the other surely and if you want something thats middling at extension or collection, there are breeds that do that too.

There are (or maybe were) breeds of horses and ponies for every job that your leisure rider could want-before people wanted something to ride in an arena day in day out and thought that they needed something else for that.

And to be honest, this does happen in horses-Belwade I believe have just rescued 100 poorly bred cross bred colts. No doubt they will all go on to be useful companion horses.

skinnydipper

Visit site
What problems are you insinuating these dogs have? I have one and know of four others all have better health than any pure breed dog I know

Well, I am not insinuating - I am telling you straight - I met a Yorkiepoo with severe hip dysplasia - see my post above.

First time owners who are devastated at the diagnosis.

Please don't start with that crap about cross breeds and mongrels being healthier.

I had a mutt with numerous health issues including grand mal epilepsy and multiple allergies. She had other health problems I won't bore you with. She dispelled any myths regarding hybrid vigour.

ETA. TBH any owner would be devastated to receive that diagnosis for their new puppy but perhaps a more experienced person, when buying from a breeder, would have asked to see the results of the dam and sire's screening tests.

Last edited:

MinKo

Visit site
Well, I am not insinuating - I am telling you straight - I met a Yorkiepoo with severe hip dysplasia - see my post above.

Please don't start with that crap about cross breeds and mongrels being healthier.

One cross breed dog with issues does not mean all will have, you are trying to sound like an authority on the matter. You are very much not. You met ONE Yorkie X poodle with a health issue, therefore you are out to tell the world all will have them. Not remotely true.

bonny

Visit site

I’m not sure that knowing one dog with dodgy hips is significant of anything, anymore than someone else saying their cross breed lived to be 18 and never suffered with anything.

skinnydipper

Visit site
One cross breed dog with issues does not mean all will have, you are trying to sound like an authority on the matter. You are very much not. You met ONE Yorkie X poodle with a health issue, therefore you are out to tell the world all will have them. Not remotely true.

You seem familiar. Do you go by other user names such as BaronSamedi, BMWKIPP or Five&Two?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
don't see much point in that either. I mean, before WBs took over you had ID x TB and anglos, got the point of those.

But (and I will upset folk with this) why cross (for example) an Iberian with a WB? They are two very different animals, you either want one type or the other surely and if you want something thats middling at extension or collection, there are breeds that do that too.

There are (or maybe were) breeds of horses and ponies for every job that your leisure rider could want-before people wanted something to ride in an arena day in day out and thought that they needed something else for that.

And to be honest, this does happen in horses-Belwade I believe have just rescued 100 poorly bred cross bred colts. No doubt they will all go on to be useful companion horses.
In Spain they used to cross PREs with TB (and or Arab) to make them quicker for bull fighting or Doma Vaquera. It was also because breeding lines mean a lot and they don't want the nice ones to get gored by a bull ?.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I’m not sure that knowing one dog with dodgy hips is significant of anything, anymore than someone else saying their cross breed lived to be 18 and never suffered with anything.

A dog with "dodgy" hips is significant to me, having previously taken on a GSD with hip and elbow dysplasia.

Dam and sire should be screened for known health problems related to their breed.

Any dog with known health problems should not be allowed to breed.

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
A dog with "dodgy" hips is significant to me, having previously taken on a GSD with hip and elbow dysplasia.

Dam and sire should be screened for known health problems related to their breed.

Any dog with known health problems should not be allowed to breed.
In an ideal world we should probably just stop breeding dogs that are known to have health problems but that’s not going to happen. A lot of the more popular breeds are the ones that have health problems, funny thing human preferences.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
In an ideal world we should probably just stop breeding dogs that are known to have health problems but that’s not going to happen. A lot of the more popular breeds are the ones that have health problems, funny thing human preferences.

If we started that though there would be hardly any dogs left. Off the top of my head we'd have to stop:

- English Bulldogs
- Brachy Dogs - Frenchies, Boston Terriers, Pugs, Pekingese
- King Charles Cavalier Spaniels
- Rottweilers - epilepsy and bone disese
- Great Danes - dysplasia and short life span
- Weims - Von Willebrand Disease
- St Bernerd - hip/elbow dysplasia
- Boxers - cancer
- Bloodhounds - eye problems
- Doberman Pinscher - liver disease
- Irish Setter - Epilepsy
- Poodles - bloat
- Toy Poodles - bladder stones
- Golden Doodles - heart conditions
- Shih Tzu - patella problems
- Shetty Sheepdogs - skin problems
- Australian Shepherds - just about everything, dysplasia, cataracts etc
- Chow Chow - crap bones
- Newfies - Heart Problems
- Labradors - EIC and cancers
- Basset Hound - just about everything
- Retriever - dysplasia hip & elbow
- GSD - Hips and ears
- Cocker Spaniel - epilepsy, heart disease, liver disease, various orthopedic problems..

bonny

Visit site
If we started that though there would be hardly any dogs left. Off the top of my head we'd have to stop:

- English Bulldogs
- Boxers - cancer
- Poodles - bloat
- Chow Chow - crap bones
- GSD - Hips and ears
- Cocker Spaniel - epilepsy, heart disease, liver disease, various orthopedic problems..
Maybe we have got the answer though, cut down the crazy amount of dogs we’ve got, cut down all the walking vets bills and all will be well !

paisley

Visit site

- English Bulldogs
- Boxers - cancer
- Poodles - bloat
- Chow Chow - crap bones
- GSD - Hips and ears
Hey, don't leave out whippets! Or 'chronic self harmers' as I know them

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
What problems are you insinuating these dogs have? I have one and know of four others all have better health than any pure breed dog I know

Next door’s appears to have luxating patella from what they’ve told me. Again, I think some breeders of these poocrosses are not ethical and don’t hip/elbow score. Saying they’re healthier than pure breds who might have 5 generations of excellent hip/elbow scores recorded is not at all necessarily correct. Of course, a cross may be healthier than a pure bred, but health tests are key, not the fact of being a cross.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
The biggest issue with any dog pedigree or crossbreed is whether or not the parents are sound and healthy. Provided the parents have had the relevant health checks done I have no problem with sensible crosses and have met some delightful mixes. I think some people cross two breeds just so they can come up with a silly name for the cross, worst possible reason for breeding.

Parrotperson

Visit site
All my dogs are crossbreeds. I have a Great Dane X Husky, who I got from a rescue at 4 months. She’s the most fantastic dog- is now 12, fit as fiddle and has the most incredible temperament- loyal and kind.
Bess is a Corgi x Cockapoo, weird mix but an absolute treasure of a dog who is loyal, funny, fit and healthy. Her temperament is second to none and she’s intelligent, trainable and so loving.
Lily-Rose is a Shihtzu x JR. I love that the JR influence has elongated her nose so she doesn’t have the associated problems of a brachy dog.
I don’t call them by designer names, simply the cross they are. But they are fabulous dogs.
I wonder if people just called them cocker crosses, would people feel less strongly about it? I almost wonder if the connotations of ‘cockapoo’ now brings almost instant negativity, particularly to those who are very pro purebreds.

possibly. In my day they'd all be mongrels or Heinz 57's!

Parrotperson

Visit site

really not "insinuating" anything! Its just an opinion which if you disagree with fine. I'm just adding to the discussion not trying to start an argument!! ??

But. Poodles are highly intelligent and need proper training and IMHO something to do. Cross with a yorkie who are protective, active and well terriers!

I can see problems arising which led to this little dog needing rescuing. Apart from anything else she is extremely yappy and not everyone will know how to cope with this.

Parrotperson

Visit site

also out of interest what would you say to the "wolf dog" I saw advertised the other day? A northern Inuit crossed with a wolfdog. It was about 8 mo the old been bought during lockdown and they couldn't cope with it. There's a surprise.

Why though on god's good earth would you breed this in the first place? Probably perfectly healthy. But........?

Parrotperson

Visit site
The biggest issue with any dog pedigree or crossbreed is whether or not the parents are sound and healthy. Provided the parents have had the relevant health checks done I have no problem with sensible crosses and have met some delightful mixes. I think some people cross two breeds just so they can come up with a silly name for the cross, worst possible reason for breeding.

yes indeed. Health checks are absolutely necessary

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
also out of interest what would you say to the "wolf dog" I saw advertised the other day? A northern Inuit crossed with a wolfdog. It was about 8 mo the old been bought during lockdown and they couldn't cope with it. There's a surprise.

Why though on god's good earth would you breed this in the first place? Probably perfectly healthy. But........?

Teh GaMe oF tHrOnz

misst

Visit site
I thank god I found my little JRT in the January pre lockdown. £900 KC registered eyes heart knees and ?? ataxia (I think) tested for both parents. 4 pups in litter, bitch will have one more then be speyed. Found by word of mouth at 17 weeks as breeder did not advertise and would not let them go before mid January due to not wanting them being xmas presents. She breeds one litter every other year and likes to show here and abroad. No litters since lockdown and her website is closed as she was fed up with idiots ringing her up.

I have posted on P.Ls thread about Lockdown dogs regarding a KCCS. 17 year old original dog died. Young woman distressed dog she had grown up with had died so in 3 weeks found and bought another. 8 weeks (or less??) puppy 4K. Went to Wales to get it. Looks like a springer x KCCS. Very flightly and scatty and nervous. Now at one year legs going in all directions. Walks on its "fetlocks" at the front and hunches it back as if it has discomfort. She is fed up with it as it is not like her previous dog - ie doesn't sit on your lap and is not "friendly". They say he is bad with other dogs (he likes to play puppy chase) and children! They have no children but he is amazing with my granddaughter who is dog aware and supervised at all times of course.

He has a lovely nature and once he knows you and has the right environment and is allowed to be a young slightly nervy dog he is fine. He adores my 2 and my son is trying to buy him as they leave him constantly with other people so they can go for country walks in peace!! They want their 4K. He is unneutered, uninsured and a walking time bomb for vets bills. My son is going to offer £500 tomorrow as he is so fond of the dog and feels so sorry for him and truely cannot afford more. Fingers crossed they will admit their mistake.

misst

Visit site
really not "insinuating" anything! Its just an opinion which if you disagree with fine. I'm just adding to the discussion not trying to start an argument!! ??

But. Poodles are highly intelligent and need proper training and IMHO something to do. Cross with a yorkie who are protective, active and well terriers!

I can see problems arising which led to this little dog needing rescuing. Apart from anything else she is extremely yappy and not everyone will know how to cope with this.

Agree entirely. We have a rehome who is propably a yorkie x jrt. I love him but he has leg deformities which have needed an operation (severe patella problems in one hind) and will have arthritiis in years to come from the other legs. This will probably shorten his life as I will not operate on the others as he did not cope with cage rest and handling by strangers.

He is yappy in the extreme. He is tricky if he does not like you and can be territorial. He is loyal and funny and affectionate and good with all family members and family dogs. He is super clever and quick to learn. Outside of the family he is a bit hit and miss though he only warns off never makes contact - but for a small dog he looks scary.

He came to us afraid and reactive but our older JRT at the time was a godsend and helped him learn. He now has our younger one to play with. We live in a quiet area with direct access to open common and no attached neighbours. He would be a nightmare in an urban setting and I can imagine in an inexperienced non terrier home may have become more agressive. So I am with Parrotperosn - health checks are important but Yorkies are not good crosses and to cross with another intelligent high energy breed of any kind is madness.

bonny

Visit site
I thank god I found my little JRT in the January pre lockdown. £900 KC registered eyes heart knees and ?? ataxia (I think) tested for both parents. 4 pups in litter, bitch will have one more then be speyed. Found by word of mouth at 17 weeks as breeder did not advertise and would not let them go before mid January due to not wanting them being xmas presents. She breeds one litter every other year and likes to show here and abroad. No litters since lockdown and her website is closed as she was fed up with idiots ringing her up.

I have posted on P.Ls thread about Lockdown dogs regarding a KCCS. 17 year old original dog died. Young woman distressed dog she had grown up with had died so in 3 weeks found and bought another. 8 weeks (or less??) puppy 4K. Went to Wales to get it. Looks like a springer x KCCS. Very flightly and scatty and nervous. Now at one year legs going in all directions. Walks on its "fetlocks" at the front and hunches it back as if it has discomfort. She is fed up with it as it is not like her previous dog - ie doesn't sit on your lap and is not "friendly". They say he is bad with other dogs (he likes to play puppy chase) and children! They have no children but he is amazing with my granddaughter who is dog aware and supervised at all times of course.

He has a lovely nature and once he knows you and has the right environment and is allowed to be a young slightly nervy dog he is fine. He adores my 2 and my son is trying to buy him as they leave him constantly with other people so they can go for country walks in peace!! They want their 4K. He is unneutered, uninsured and a walking time bomb for vets bills. My son is going to offer £500 tomorrow as he is so fond of the dog and feels so sorry for him and truely cannot afford more. Fingers crossed they will admit their mistake.
I’ve just done the same thing, my dog died and for the first time in my life I was dogless and totally lost without one. I went out and bought a puppy, didn’t pay 4 thousand though, saw his mum but not his dad, no checks, no reg. now I’m thinking everywhere I go with him I’m being judged for having a lockdown puppy ! Which gets me wondering, what is a lockdown puppy ? Is it anyone who bought one since Covid ?

skinnydipper

Visit site
I think this post might cover it all - inherited disease, poor breeding practices and an upsurge of ignorant owners.

A few days ago a dog ran up behind my dog and I, started running round us and jumping up at my large (giant size) dog. I looked around and could see no owner. When he did finally crest the brow of the hill he was shouting "he only wants to play" :rolleyes:.

My dog was tolerant but not thrilled at being jumped on so I suggested to the owner that he might like to put his dog on a lead so that my dog and I could continue our walk unhindered. You would think that even the most stupid owner could see that a situation like that might not end well.

I let him go ahead and big dog and I ambled behind.

He let it off. It made straight for a Bedlington on a lead and proceeded to jump all over that. The poor thing was screaming in terror. This frail young Bedlington is ill, copper storage disease. Must feel like shit and vulnerable and some idiot is allowing his dog to jump all over it. It was awful to witness the distress of the Bedlington.

For information, copper storage disease (copper storage hepatopathy). is an inherited disease in Bedlingtons caused by a genetic mutation, You have to ask yourself why the breeders of the pup did not test the DNA of their breeding stock.

We meet some nice dogs with their people and my dog is sociable with those with 4 legs and with 2 but there is an increasing number of untrained, ill mannered or aggressive dogs with idiot owners.

I think I must have heard every excuse as to why the idiot's dog has kicked off at my dog: their dog doesn't like big dogs, its because she is on a lead, only does it with dogs it doesn't know, it usually likes other dogs but not on Wednesdays. If you know your dog is likely to kick off at another dog, for whatever reason, kindly put it on a lead when you see me coming because I am nowhere near as tolerant as my dog ;)

Last edited:

skinnydipper

Visit site
I’ve just done the same thing, my dog died and for the first time in my life I was dogless and totally lost without one. I went out and bought a puppy, didn’t pay 4 thousand though, saw his mum but not his dad, no checks, no reg. now I’m thinking everywhere I go with him I’m being judged for having a lockdown puppy ! Which gets me wondering, what is a lockdown puppy ? Is it anyone who bought one since Covid ?

Dogless?

I am confused. Did your old dog and your youngster die and you got another pup?

I did exactly that, I had an old collie who was 15 and got a puppy and it worked out really well. She couldn’t be bothered with the pup and he learnt right away to more or less ignore her but she was a great help in him learning about life. He followed her on walks so I never had a problem with him being off lead and because she was quiet at nights etc so was he. I think puppies learn by following other dogs much more than they learn from humans so I would say in your situation just go for it.