Reality check...

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Ok quick update...apparently passport photos were sent to my phone on Friday. Have asked them to be emailed to me now so will see what I get sent.

He was apparently started by an eventer and evented up to BE100 before being sold. I have no ambitions beyond 90 so if he's a point and shoot confidence giving jumper that's done a bit of everything I'd be happy.

ETA I rarely buy horses so stupidly assumed T meant telephone ��

A quick look at the eventer's name/horse's name on BE website will get you his results in this case.

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
well I think he has a lovely kind face! He looks a bit of a sweet heart ... but I am a sucker!

the guy's face going over the jump made me laugh ... don't get me wrong, I'm no Mary King ... but he looks terrified. If that's the old owner and he got him over jumps I should think there's a good, honest horse in there somewhere. I hope the yard are just genuinely disorganised re passport and photos and he's a nice horse fallen on harder times. I also really like that he's just in a cavesson noseband and snaffle! how old fashioned does that make me! I still don't know why he would look quite so thin after two months though ... my boy was a bit of a hat rack when I got him, but he's moving into weight watchers camp now (3 months) and that's only on hay and grass ... You sound very sensible, as if you have thought it all through from your other post. fingers crossed for you!

PorkChop

Visit site
Too many if's and but's for me I'm afraid.

Why isn't he advertised on her Facebook page or website?

They should be making it easy for you, and providing all the information up front - it's like they don't want to sell the horse - alarm bells for me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I wondered why he wasn't on her site or fb page either, almost like she doesn't want to be too associated with him.

Also as a sales livery does that make it technically a private sale?

OP he might be great but I think you can likely find something with fewer question marks over it and unless she has been hunting him for the last 2 months I'd want to know why he had dropped condition.

ihatework

Visit site
Oh Gawd - just looked at the advert.
This is a low quality RC horse that may/may not be physically right. Just look at its way of going and muscling will tell you that.

You would be far better investing 3k in a young green horse than that one if you have any competitive aspirations

FlyingCircus

Visit site
His price was reduced Jan 27th and Feb 15th.
Interesting given that was a month ago and I thought you said he had only been for sale for a month? People don't drop the price the day after they put it up for sale.

ETA: Original ad posted on their FB group on Jan 19th.

Last edited:

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Can't edit my last post so will just add to this...

He came 5th Novice pairs hunter trials in Oct 14
Went to fun ride Aug 14

Seems to be part of Warlingham & District Horse Club with his previous owner
Owner entered into dressage test (BE test 94 at RC event) with new horse this March 2016...So guess that part adds up?

It's so scary how much you can find out about people on the internet!!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Hmm...so this may be a coincidence but...

His old owner competed a horse named Dudley that did what this horse has proclaimed to do.
His old owner and Dudley were registered BE, the horse under Dudley Hynes.
DOB for horse is 2002, making it similar though not quite right for this horse. Also height is 17hh, so similar but not quite right.
Horse also has no runs BE that are registered.

So I guess if you find out his name is Dudley Hynes, it's safe to say he hasn't been run affiliated BE.

Of course could all be a coincidence...

abb123

Visit site
Depends what you want him for.

If you want a friendly confidence giver for low level riding club activities (e.g. novice dressage or jumping up to 3 ft) with a bit of scope to go further then it might be worth pursuing. Plus you have already bonded with him and feel confidence with him, which is worth a lot in my opinion.

If you want a true school master that has been there done that and can teach you to ride properly to a high level then I don't think this is the horse for you.

If you do decide to go ahead then I would get a thorough vetting done and I would be tempted to ask for the horse to be scoped for ulcers. He looks like a horse that has not done well through winter and has been stressed out by moving homes.

I would also put in a very low offer, well below the asking price. He is advertised for £3K now and the price has already been reduced. I would be tempted to offer £1500 and see what they say. Be prepared to walk away if they wont accept a low offer though, there are nicer horses out there for less money!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Depends what you want him for.

If you want a friendly confidence giver for low level riding club activities (e.g. novice dressage or jumping up to 3 ft) with a bit of scope to go further then it might be worth pursuing. Plus you have already bonded with him and feel confidence with him, which is worth a lot in my opinion.

If you want a true school master that has been there done that and can teach you to ride properly to a high level then I don't think this is the horse for you.

If you do decide to go ahead then I would get a thorough vetting done and I would be tempted to ask for the horse to be scoped for ulcers. He looks like a horse that has not done well through winter and has been stressed out by moving homes.

I would also put in a very low offer, well below the asking price. He is advertised for £3K now and the price has already been reduced. I would be tempted to offer £1500 and see what they say. Be prepared to walk away if they wont accept a low offer though, there are nicer horses out there for less money!

I agree with above, but best to find another horse, there are plenty about, yes not many that are schoolmasters, but tbh I don't think you need something push button.......

Last edited:

WelshD

Visit site
Hi

I'm not going to comment on the suitability of the horse, sellers reputation, passport etc as thats all been said by some very experienced people above

What I would say is this:

Its been a very mild winter, most equines will come out of it with a bit extra weight as opposed to dropping weight like you'd might expect during a colder winter, it would make me concerned that the horse was underweight

With regards to money, no one likes to pay over the odds but the price of a horse soon pales in to insignificance as the months and the ongoing costs roll on, personally if I wanted a horse I would pay over the market price if needs be

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Hi

I'm not going to comment on the suitability of the horse, sellers reputation, passport etc as thats all been said by some very experienced people above

What I would say is this:

Its been a very mild winter, most equines will come out of it with a bit extra weight as opposed to dropping weight like you'd might expect during a colder winter, it would make me concerned that the horse was underweight

With regards to money, no one likes to pay over the odds but the price of a horse soon pales in to insignificance as the months and the ongoing costs roll on, personally if I wanted a horse I would pay over the market price if needs be

We would all pay over the market price for the perfect horse [for us!], but in this case, the market price is about £1200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets be realistic, OP buys it, spends £1200 to decide he needs a new home, ......
will he be an attractive buy at £2400?

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
How did you get his old owner's name? Just curious as I haven't seen anything that suggests a name to google!

While it's good to be wary and check everything out, I think if you really like him don't pass up the opportunity on the basis of us cynical lot on here. If your instructor - who knows you well and has seen the horse in the flesh - thinks he could be good for you, that's the opinion I'd care about. Definitely do your homework and you've already said you'd get him vetted, but a gut instinct is never something to ignore. The vast majority of us will embellish slightly when selling a horse so I wouldn't be too concerned if they've oversold him a bit, but I would be offering less given his condition etc. If he's on sales livery they won't want him there too long! Is he local enough to you that you can ask around about him? For what it's worth, I like the photo of him jumping he looks a decent sort. The less said about the other the better and I hope it is just a case of him being turned away and neglected a bit. Would they do LWVTB? Again, given that he's on sales livery, it might be a cheaper option for them than keeping him there until someone else comes along?

Good luck, whatever you decide.

WelshD

Visit site
We would all pay over the market price for the perfect horse [for us!], but in this case, the market price is about £1200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets be realistic, OP buys it, spends £1200 to decide he needs a new home, ......
will he be an attractive buy at £2400?

I haven't seen the figure £1200 as the actual value of the horse on this thread, perhaps I missed it.

I didn't suggest what the horse may be worth, or make any comment on his market value v actual asking price, I just gave a different spin on it based on my personal opinion. Only the OP knows what the horse is worth to them.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
How did you get his old owner's name? Just curious as I haven't seen anything that suggests a name to google!

While it's good to be wary and check everything out, I think if you really like him don't pass up the opportunity on the basis of us cynical lot on here. If your instructor - who knows you well and has seen the horse in the flesh - thinks he could be good for you, that's the opinion I'd care about. Definitely do your homework and you've already said you'd get him vetted, but a gut instinct is never something to ignore. The vast majority of us will embellish slightly when selling a horse so I wouldn't be too concerned if they've oversold him a bit, but I would be offering less given his condition etc. If he's on sales livery they won't want him there too long! Is he local enough to you that you can ask around about him? For what it's worth, I like the photo of him jumping he looks a decent sort. The less said about the other the better and I hope it is just a case of him being turned away and neglected a bit. Would they do LWVTB? Again, given that he's on sales livery, it might be a cheaper option for them than keeping him there until someone else comes along?

Good luck, whatever you decide.

I'm very nosey ;)
His old owner liked one of his ads on the FB group and he had a pic of him jumping the horse as his profile pic :p

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Guys thanks so much! You put Sherlock to shame with your sleuthing skills!

He is indeed called Dudley. Have just received passport pics and his sire is apparently Baron De Chantepie and the dam is Glen Prinsess (not a typo) if either rings any bells for any of you?

Price seems pretty non-negotiable sadly, so it's £3k or walk away at this point.

ihatework

Visit site

He is indeed called Dudley. Have just received passport pics and his sire is apparently Baron De Chantepie and the dam is Glen Prinsess (not a typo) if either rings any bells for any of you?

Price seems pretty non-negotiable sadly, so it's £3k or walk away at this point.

In the grand scheme of horses 3k is not a lot of money.
However it is a lot of money if the horse doesn't do the job you want.

Am I right in thinking you want to compete BE90 and school on a bit Ele type level?

If so, the price and breeding matter not a jot. This horse isn't worth wasting time and money on for that job. If he is sound, sweet and safe and happily toddles out hacking and tucks its nose in enough for unaff prelim and pops 2'3 in a riding club rally - then someone might love him dearly.

Is 3k your max budget? There is a coloured 'flash' advertised opposite that looks like a fun allround future competitive type

Hetsmum

Visit site
Adding in my piece.....
Underweight would not bother me as its winter. Lots of dealers keep them lean. I assume you will 5 stage vet with bloods?
If you trust your instructor and they have seen them in the flesh then I would rather take their advise than a load of strangers from the internet.
You have had confidence issues in the past and the fact that you happily got on and jumped this horse a reasonable height means you clicked/felt right. Honestly would I pay £3k for that - yes I probably would but lots would call me a fool and I may well be one. I recently paid £3k for a very green and young cob but he has already proved to me what a star he is. The price of a horse is nothing compared to the cost of the upkeep.
I do think the word schoolmaster has been a bit romantically used here but if he truly was a schoolmaster who would take you to 1m etc then sorry but I think he would be more like £4-5k. You are in the most expensive area of the country which does have some impact on prices.
Good luck whatever you decide :)
If your heart is set then offer £2750 and leave it on the table..........

FlyingCircus

Visit site

He hasn't competed BE, so something has been fabricated down the line!? The horse registered to BE had those same parents, 2002 17hh gelding.

I'd walk away 100%. If they're making up that he has competed BE when he hasn't, what else aren't they saying?
There's loadsa nice horses you could buy for 3k.

ester

Visit site
I have to say I would also be put off by anything that had been with a male novice rider for too long.

A green young cob has potentially, and the luxury of time to bring on etc this chap is 13 or 14 depending on which is right.

ester

Visit site
OP I hope you don't think all the sleuthing etc means we are being extra mean, I think just don't want people to make the wrong decisions/spend more than they should.