Rearing horse

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
I really feel for OP to be honest, we’ve all been young and looking for our first horse, the excitement and romanticising the situation. I was 11 and relied on my trainer and the vet to help me choose, if I didn’t have that help I’d have possibly ended up with the wrong horse myself. Even now at 33 I’d take someone experienced with me.
that picture is terrifying, I couldn’t do it and I don’t know the OP but I’m worried for her safety, that’s no little ‘napping’ that’s about as dangerous as it gets.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
I don’t think the OP will get back on the horse.

The real loser here is, of course, the horse. What on earth were the sellers thinking selling to someone so novice? Or to anyone really for that matter?

I thought the same thing. I think they must have wanted rid of the horse themselves. I know I’d take my horse straight back and refund even with full disclosure in the first place if I thought they’d be sold on again and it wasn’t the right home.. but then I love my horses! X

stormox

Visit site
I thought the same thing. I think they must have wanted rid of the horse themselves. I know I’d take my horse straight back and refund even with full disclosure in the first place if I thought they’d be sold on again and it wasn’t the right home.. but then I love my horses! X

But giving a refund rather depends on if you still have the money - but you may not, bills, covid new horse - easy to spend money straight away!!
I actually posted on this thread how to deal with a rearer and thought I was helping the OP. But when someone showed me the video I posted here again saying dont take any notice of what I said, those rears are far worse than I thought theyd be! I hope OP has read my latest post even though she hasnt posted again.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
But giving a refund rather depends on if you still have the money - but you may not, bills, covid new horse - easy to spend money straight away!!
I actually posted on this thread how to deal with a rearer and thought I was helping the OP. But when someone showed me the video I posted here again saying dont take any notice of what I said, those rears are far worse than I thought theyd be! I hope OP has read my latest post even though she hasnt posted again.

true but I would do what I could to take back my horse out of the wrong hands, that’s me anyway but then easy for me to say as I would be in the position to give back the money.
I have never dealt with a rearer in saddle and I wouldn’t want too.
And as much as the seller gave ‘full disclosure’ I can’t help thinking this big of a rear was played down and the OP probably thought the little front feet off the ground rears at the viewing was as bad as it got. Who would buy a horse that did that (in the photo) at a viewing ?

Reactions: JJS

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
true but I would do what I could to take back my horse out of the wrong hands, that’s me anyway but then easy for me to say as I would be in the position to give back the money.
I have never dealt with a rearer in saddle and I wouldn’t want too.
And as much as the seller gave ‘full disclosure’ I can’t help thinking this big of a rear was played down and the OP probably thought the little front feet off the ground rears at the viewing was as bad as it got. Who would buy a horse that did that (in the photo) at a viewing ?
The rears the horse is doing now are not relevant to whatever rears it was doing at the time of purchase. A propensity to rear can be amplified by whoever is riding it, or indeed eliminated. Some riders are capable of getting rears out of completely saintly horses too.....

i don't feel particularly sorry for the OP. Silly girl, but I do feel deeply sorry for the horse.

Flicker

Visit site

To be fair to the seller, they did fully disclose the issue. Plus the horse reared when the buyer was trying her and she STILL wanted to buy her.

We also don’t know their circumstances, and they may not be able to take the horse back. Personally, if I had a horse that reared like that, I’d PTS but I also don‘t want to judge. Tricky one.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'm not sure why people are taking about returning this horse. She was sold in good faith with full disclosure, there is no basis whatsoever that I can see to return her to the seller.

I was wondering the same. Buyer beware and all that. To me if a horse rears it is only for one reason and that's due to pain. Obviously you get the odd exception, (i.e being overheld at a fun ride when seeing others in the distance is one example I can think of, waiting in the start box at a O.D.E is another) i.e if it's in a state of great excitement and then that is understandable on the odd occasion. But everyday. No.

It wouldn't matter how much i liked a horse I tried out, if iwas told it bucked or reared or it displayed either of these traits in my presence I'd bolt in the other direction.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
The rears the horse is doing now are not relevant to whatever rears it was doing at the time of purchase. A propensity to rear can be amplified by whoever is riding it, or indeed eliminated. Some riders are capable of getting rears out of completely saintly horses too.....

i don't feel particularly sorry for the OP. Silly girl, but I do feel deeply sorry for the horse.

completely agree, I’d have never got the horse but looking through the eyes of a novice (and taking reassurance from the seller) I don’t think she’d have got this horse if she knew that it would be as bad as it is... I mean a lot of people deal with rearing horses but that photo is next level, I honestly thought she meant half off the ground initially not vertical and the advert said the horse was sound in company and the OP is in company on the photo...

Cowpony

Visit site
I went to see a horse years ago, which reared twice during the viewing. I declined to get on it. But then I was much older than the OP, and well aware of my abilities, or rather lack of them! I knew I wouldn't enjoy a rearer and couldn't cope with one. The owner tried to tell me all the horses were unsettled because a foal had been born at the yard the night before. Ooooookaaaaay.........Still not getting on it!

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
To be fair to the seller, they did fully disclose the issue. Plus the horse reared when the buyer was trying her and she STILL wanted to buy her.

We also don’t know their circumstances, and they may not be able to take the horse back. Personally, if I had a horse that reared like that, I’d PTS but I also don‘t want to judge. Tricky one.

Exactly If it were my horse I sold, I’d refund and have it back. I’d never risk my horses life but it sounds to me like they wanted rid. Then again, we don’t know what the seller said to the novice or what the novice said to the seller, I can however see that the horse is described as ‘sound’ hacking in company but the OP is in company in that terrifying photo... just this alone is not full disclosure. Perhaps the horse never did that with previous owners in company, still though it’s a reason to accept the horse back as it wasn’t described as acting like this in company. x

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I went to see a horse years ago, which reared twice during the viewing. I declined to get on it. But then I was much older than the OP, and well aware of my abilities, or rather lack of them! I knew I wouldn't enjoy a rearer and couldn't cope with one. The owner tried to tell me all the horses were unsettled because a foal had been born at the yard the night before. Ooooookaaaaay.........Still not getting on it!
My friend went to try one, very sensibly asked to see it ridden, no sooner had the woman climbed the mounting block and put her foot in the stirrup the horse reared and went over backwards knocking the poor woman out.

Friend had to run and find her hubby as she couldn't give accurate directions to the ambulance as she was only vaguely aware of the address. Poor woman had various broken bones and said to my friend later when she rang to enquire how she was recovering that the horse had never done anything like that before. My friend was inclined to believe her, if it had, it was obvious the woman wouldn't have dared got on it!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Exactly If it were my horse I sold, I’d refund and have it back. I’d never risk my horses life but it sounds to me like they wanted rid. Then again, we don’t know what the seller said to the novice or what the novice said to the seller, I can however see that the horse is described as ‘sound’ hacking in company but the OP is in company in that terrifying photo... just this alone is not full disclosure. Perhaps the horse never did that with previous owners in company, still though it’s a reason to accept the horse back as it wasn’t described as acting like this in company. x

To be fair, we don't know if the horse has reared in company before- it's not impossible things have gotten worse during the short time the horse was with the OP. If you're going to tell people a horse rears (and it rears with someone whilst they are viewing it), I can't believe you'd then lie about it hacking out in company.

I don't think they should have sold the horse to the OP- I don't think they should have sold it at all if it's gone up like that with them in any situation. But maybe they couldn't keep the horse for financial reasons, and if they have managed the issue ok themselves, then they might think it would be better to sell on with full disclosure than PTS. PTS an apparently healthy horse is a really hard decision to make.

Private sellers don't have to accept a horse back and you have no idea about people's circumstances- if they were e.g. previously on livery, they may have nowhere to put the horse now, or they may not have the money available to refund.

I feel hugely sorry for the horse in all of this though.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I really feel for OP to be honest, we’ve all been young and looking for our first horse, the excitement and romanticising the situation. I was 11 and relied on my trainer and the vet to help me choose, if I didn’t have that help I’d have possibly ended up with the wrong horse myself. Even now at 33 I’d take someone experienced with me.
that picture is terrifying, I couldn’t do it and I don’t know the OP but I’m worried for her safety, that’s no little ‘napping’ that’s about as dangerous as it gets.
This isn't her first horse, she refers to her previous horses.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
That photo makes my blood run cold

I haven't commented as I dont have any experience in rearers (fortunately!)

The closest I've come is when I took H out hacking on my own for one of the first times, he used to be in an rs. There was a flattened cardboard box in the road and he refused to go past it. I was trying to drive him on but he had planted. He then felt like he was rocking back slightly and while I'm 99% sure he wouldn't rear the slight rocking back motion and the fact I was on my own on the road having never needed to sit a rear that 1% that he *could * have gone up after the rocking back lead to me turning for home as we weren't getting past the box safely

We got over the hacking alone issue by me getting off and leading him if he went to plant I'd walk on foot with him for about 100m or so and then get back on, I'd also use someone on foot/ a bike. The getting off wasnt me giving in as he still had to continue the hack just a bit was on foot. Though with a rearer like that it would scare me that there would be the possibility it would go up when I was on foot. We would also do quite a bit of trotting so he was thinking forward and doing shortish hacks and turning back while there were no issues

I think the advert looks honest and if you look at the photo the rearing horse looks like it is in front so that may be why? Perhaps it is fine in company as long as it is behind? In the early days of trying to get mine hacking alone he was still nappy in front fortunately no rears though just planting.

Like many others on this thread if I was told the horse reared I would be running extremely quickly in the opposite direction. I wouldn't have the skill to deal with it and it can cause serious injury especially if it goes over. The picture makes me think its reared on OP more than once as the original post said it carted her into a field then reared in the picture it's on the road? Rearing is a vice I wouldn't touch

Could you ask the seller how they used to deal with it if you haven't completely burnt bridges but I'd be wanting urgent help but then I wouldn't have bought a disclosed rearer in the first place, I'd have a lot more sympathy if OP had bought it seller hadnt been honest then it started rearing. I wouldn't be hacking again does it behave in the school? If so I'd stick to that or hack behind someone if it doesnt rear in that situation.