Rearing horse

MiniMilton

Visit site
Weird, I don't expect an adult to have their parents involved in stuff.
Agreed. Most people have a job of some sort from their mid teens. Saving up and buying a horse yourself at 18 really isn't that unusual. I'd like to think I had more sense at that age and wouldn't consider a rearer. I did buy an unbroken connemara at that age so I guess it could have turned out horribly wrong for me too.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Agreed. Most people have a job of some sort from their mid teens. Saving up and buying a horse yourself at 18 really isn't that unusual. I'd like to think I had more sense at that age and wouldn't consider a rearer. I did buy an unbroken connemara at that age so I guess it could have turned out horribly wrong for me too.

when I look back at what I used to do with horses at 18 it’s half way between admiration and dread lol x

Lois Lame

Visit site
The rears the horse is doing now are not relevant to whatever rears it was doing at the time of purchase. A propensity to rear can be amplified by whoever is riding it, or indeed eliminated. Some riders are capable of getting rears out of completely saintly horses too.....

i don't feel particularly sorry for the OP. Silly girl, but I do feel deeply sorry for the horse.

I feel sorry for the girl because I've done foolish things many a time, and I'm thankful that the internet didn't exist until I was rather long in the tooth.

Apart from that, I agree with your post. :)

Visit site
OP, I havent posted until now but this situation has got out of control.

You need to look at the clear facts, you knew the horse's issues and it reared with you at the viewing, yet you still bought the horse. You continue to have issues once the horse is with you and now are blaming the seller (yet the seller has been clear with you and you knew what you were buying).

You are slating the seller and you need to stop. YOU have made a mistake buying the horse, you werent forced to buy the horse. YOU have put yourself into this situation and no one else. YOU need to remove posts about the seller as this is extremely unfair. YOU need to decide what you are going to do with the horse, as it is YOUR responsibility, you need to get a full vet check and stop riding the horse in the first instance.

Absolutely everyone on here has made a mistake in their life but it is how you handle it, which shows your true character. YOU have currently handled this poorly but you can turn it around and make yourself into a better person (by learning from your mistake and moving on), delete your posts slating the seller and ask for help!

If you had come on here saying that you had bought this horse, despite it rearing at the viewing and youve now realised you are out of your depth and ask for advice on what you can try (vets!) to help the horse as it is clearly unhappy, then I guarantee you would have experienced such an outpouring of support and offers of help and advice and YOU would have come out of this as looking like such a genuine person.

Many of us on here are mothers, who's children have made incredible mistakes whilst growing up and this support is here for you, please stop slating the seller, that is so incredibly unfair and unjust.

I would personally love to see you come back to this thread and ask for help and not blame anyone else for what happened.

The PRIORITY here is to keep you safe from being hurt and to help the horse.

From mistakes comes great learning but only if you wish to grow as a person.

If you do not feel strong enough to come back to the thread then PM me and I will offer support to you.

RubyNoir

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to put the truth out there as I know this horse & have ridden her myself (in an extremely stressful situation for the horse). I will elaborate on that later.

First & foremost the original owner has NOT refused to take the horse back, in fact freckles is currently on her way home! The owner (M) & her daughter love the horse & only wanted to see her in a good home, as daughter is really too tall for her, hence the honest advert & full disclosure

So the op (L) is a novice, (didn’t make that clear at the 2 viewings). There was no pushing by M to sell the horse, she had plenty of other viewings lined up & was in no hurry.

This isn’t op’s first horse, she previously ‘rescued’ A 9 year old unbroken newforest gelding & ‘broke him in’ in 3 weeks. The gelding was sold on as a dangerous bolter less then a year later.

freckles owner sold her with full disclosure, her 13 year old rider is an excellent & calm rider who has had no problems with the rearing, they were bunny hops with her & with me, generally resolved by going forward.

Freckles rears when she is stressed or out of her comfort zone, she lacks confidence & needs a calm rider she can trust.
The previous owner (M) told op (L) this, L was also told That freckles did not hack alone, yet the first hack L did was on her own!
L asked M for advice who suggested scaling it back, doing groundwork, bonding with the horse & hacking in company but not at the front, as freckles didn’t like being at the front.

L decided to get ‘a professional rider’ (we don’t know who this is) to hack the horse out the very next day!
That is the video & screenshot you are seeing... the professional rider taking the horse in front, and pushing her well past her comfort zone less then a week after op’s purchase.

M is devastated to see Freckles in such a state & to be libled all over the internet (fb, here, Instagram, who knows where else). M is taking freckles back but I’m not sure she should refund the money (she was sold in good faith, thoughts on that please?).

m is also concerned about the possibility of selling freckles on, which she would like to do to enable her daughter to get a horse more suited in height. She’s worried about similar happening again or people just thinking this is a dangerous horse!

There’s always 2 sides to every story!

as for when I ride freckles, it was after an incident when my horse dumped me & ran off, freckles was clearly stressed but did not dump her rider! When my horse had vanished into the distance I borrowed freckles to catch her up. I rode her on her own away from her friend & her owner to find my horse, she reared (bunny hopped) only Once, I pushed her on & had no further issues. We rode for 3 miles on our own till I found my horse! That was my first ride on freckles in a stressful situation yet she behaved extremely well, even going alone!!

RubyNoir

New User
Visit site
I thought the same thing. I think they must have wanted rid of the horse themselves. I know I’d take my horse straight back and refund even with full disclosure in the first place if I thought they’d be sold on again and it wasn’t the right home.. but then I love my horses! X
Horse has been taken back, was never refused! Freckles is well loved & has never reared like in that video with owner!

MiniMilton

Visit site
Thank you for the details RubyNoir. The poor owners have been really messed around by this girl.

I had a similar situation a number of years ago (thankfully minus the Facebook slating)
I sold a tricky horse to a competent 18year old. All quirks fully disclosed, with clear instructions of what they shouldn't ask of the horse especially in the early days of partnership. Within a week the horse was returned for doing exactly what I said would happen if they did what they did. I stupidly gave full refund. Horse was never really the same. The amount of psychological damage they caused the horse she never trusted me again and she was eventually practically given away as a broodmare (excellent confirmation and bloodlines, just very quirky).

Wishfilly

Visit site
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to put the truth out there as I know this horse & have ridden her myself (in an extremely stressful situation for the horse). I will elaborate on that later.

First & foremost the original owner has NOT refused to take the horse back, in fact freckles is currently on her way home! The owner (M) & her daughter love the horse & only wanted to see her in a good home, as daughter is really too tall for her, hence the honest advert & full disclosure

So the op (L) is a novice, (didn’t make that clear at the 2 viewings). There was no pushing by M to sell the horse, she had plenty of other viewings lined up & was in no hurry.

This isn’t op’s first horse, she previously ‘rescued’ A 9 year old unbroken newforest gelding & ‘broke him in’ in 3 weeks. The gelding was sold on as a dangerous bolter less then a year later.

freckles owner sold her with full disclosure, her 13 year old rider is an excellent & calm rider who has had no problems with the rearing, they were bunny hops with her & with me, generally resolved by going forward.

Freckles rears when she is stressed or out of her comfort zone, she lacks confidence & needs a calm rider she can trust.
The previous owner (M) told op (L) this, L was also told That freckles did not hack alone, yet the first hack L did was on her own!
L asked M for advice who suggested scaling it back, doing groundwork, bonding with the horse & hacking in company but not at the front, as freckles didn’t like being at the front.

L decided to get ‘a professional rider’ (we don’t know who this is) to hack the horse out the very next day!
That is the video & screenshot you are seeing... the professional rider taking the horse in front, and pushing her well past her comfort zone less then a week after op’s purchase.

M is devastated to see Freckles in such a state & to be libled all over the internet (fb, here, Instagram, who knows where else). M is taking freckles back but I’m not sure she should refund the money (she was sold in good faith, thoughts on that please?).

m is also concerned about the possibility of selling freckles on, which she would like to do to enable her daughter to get a horse more suited in height. She’s worried about similar happening again or people just thinking this is a dangerous horse!

as for when I ride freckles, it was after an incident when my horse dumped me & ran off, freckles was clearly stressed but did not dump her rider! When my horse had vanished into the distance I borrowed freckles to catch her up. I rode her on her own away from her friend & her owner to find my horse, she reared (bunny hopped) only Once, I pushed her on & had no further issues. We rode for 3 miles on our own till I found my horse! That was my first ride on freckles in a stressful situation yet she behaved extremely well, even going alone!!

This sounds like the best outcome for the horse.

Legally, if they are taking the horse back, the money does need to be refunded- unless you can come to an agreement with the OP, which doesn't sound likely. It does sound like the current owners have been messed around a bit but they can't take the horse back and keep the money!

I do think that unfortunately it's unlikely your friend will be able to sell Freckles on again quickly, and this is unlikely to be the best thing for the horse. Is there any option to maybe loan something for her daughter in the meantime?

RubyNoir

New User
Visit site
TBF having seen that screenshot its possible she can't respond as she's now in hospital.

it wasn’t op riding in that video, she’s not in hospital she’s busy libelling the owner all over the internet. She won’t come back & post here because she got too much truth. On Instagram all she is getting is oh you poor darling so I assume she’s sticking with that!

RubyNoir

New User
Visit site
Thank you for the details RubyNoir. The poor owners have been really messed around by this girl.

I had a similar situation a number of years ago (thankfully minus the Facebook slating)
I sold a tricky horse to a competent 18year old. All quirks fully disclosed, with clear instructions of what they shouldn't ask of the horse especially in the early days of partnership. Within a week the horse was returned for doing exactly what I said would happen if they did what they did. I stupidly gave full refund. Horse was never really the same. The amount of psychological damage they caused the horse she never trusted me again and she was eventually practically given away as a broodmare (excellent confirmation and bloodlines, just very quirky).

it’s so so sad I hope freckles hasn’t sustained any permanent damage. Bet will be out to assess any physical issues initially & then a behaviourist if required

ihatework

Visit site
Hello everyone,

I think this is every sellers nightmare. You do your best to give an honest representation of the horse and still find yourself with a numpty buyer.

I’m glad they are taking the horse back, it’s best for the horse. In their shoes I wouldn’t refund the money immediately I’d assess the horse, see how much damage was done and advise the buyer that they will get a partial refund after expenses once the horse has been sold. Then take extra care to place the horse in right environment. I expect the warning signs on this buyer were there if they had looked closely

RubyNoir

New User
Visit site

Legally, if they are taking the horse back, the money does need to be refunded- unless you can come to an agreement with the OP, which doesn't sound likely. It does sound like the current owners have been messed around a bit but they can't take the horse back and keep the money!

I do think that unfortunately it's unlikely your friend will be able to sell Freckles on again quickly, and this is unlikely to be the best thing for the horse. Is there any option to maybe loan something for her daughter in the meantime?

that’s fine at the end of the day it’s about the horse not the money, the daughter will just ride mums horse for now & work gently with freckles to help her get over this trauma

RubyNoir

New User
Visit site
I think this is every sellers nightmare. You do your best to give an honest representation of the horse and still find yourself with a numpty buyer.

I’m glad they are taking the horse back, it’s best for the horse. In their shoes I wouldn’t refund the money immediately I’d assess the horse, see how much damage was done and advise the buyer that they will get a partial refund after expenses once the horse has been sold. Then take extra care to place the horse in right environment. I expect the warning signs on this buyer were there if they had looked closely

thank you fir your help

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I am so pleased that the horse has been removed from the situation. If it was mine I would be disinclined to refund the purchase price - the horse now belongs to the buyer (18 year old), but perhaps they might consider selling the horse on for the new owner (the 18 year old), minus any livery, vet, etc. costs.

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site

I dont think she should have to give the full amout back. The horse now has a bad reputation and the seller has been slagged on FB. She is entitled to keep 'reasonable deductions' as has often happened in court cases.

Visit site
Thank you for coming on and posting and letting us know the horse is away from the new owner. I cannot imagine the stress it has caused the owner and her daughter. I have had a similar case a few years back and the girl was a complete nightmare and thankfully the horse was moved to a far more suitable, capable and sympathetic rider.

OP- I hope you have learnt a lesson from this, this is the reason you need to be HONEST about your abilities to yourself and anyone selling a horse, I’ve seen good dealers get slated for someone’s fluffing up their own ability.

OP, you have had one hell of a lesson and it could have easily ended up with a very serious outcome for you. You should thank your lucky stars that you have dealt with a decent owner who clearly wants what is best for their horse. I would seriously advise you review your abilities and be honest for any future purchase.

I feel outraged for the owner and the owner’s daughter and thank goodness the horse is no longer in that new home.

eggs

Visit site
I am very pleased to hear that Freckles is being removed from the OP but am also dismayed on behalf of the original owners that they have been slated by the OP all over the internet.

I don't know the legal situation but maybe they could have her back to sell on behalf of the OP - commission and livery fee to be deducted from the sale price or buy her back at market value (£500 ?) as this has been seriously reduced due to the internet shenanigans of the OP.

Wishfilly

Visit site
If the current owner (OP) is willing to accept selling the horse back to the previous owner for a lower price, that is obviously fine but given how she has behaved so far, I would get the new price clearly agreed in writing.

Yes, technically it is a new sale, but given the OP legally owns the horse (and can presumably prove this via text messages etc) I doubt she is just going to give it back for free! If another arrangement is agreed, I would be concerned that the OP would turn around at the last minute and say she has changed her mind.

For me, the priority would be getting the horse back and not getting involved in any kind of ownership dispute- hence saying a full refund is probably the easiest option.

I do accept the horse has gone down in value, and the sellers have been put in a rubbish position, though!

hellfire

Visit site
I’m so glad to hear Freckles is back in capable hands again. I feel for that seller and how she has been made out to be the bad guy. The horse is always in my opinion the main concern and I hope they come to some agreement. I personally would not be giving a full refund due to the mental stress that poor horse has suffered and the slander from op. My newest horse was sold to me quirks on the table and the seller had turned away a few people. She’s kept in contact and still does to see his progress. He had turned out to be a amazing little horse. She’d of taken him back in a moment if she thought he was not ok here and I was not capable. This seller clearly cares about her horse and I can only imagine how they must feel. Your invincible and cocky at 18 and feel you can ride anything. I hope op has learnt from this not to over horse yourself and take on something beyond your capabilities. For the horses sake and safety sake.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Glad to hear another side of the story, I did wonder if she was rearing despite being "in company" in the screenshot due to the fact she was in front

I have no legal knowledge nor have I sold a horse so please dont quite me on this but I wouldn't be inclined to refund anywhere near the full purchase price for the following reasons:

- Seller was honest in advert yet OP still purchased horse

-OP had more than one trial with the horse, during one of which the horse reared yet OP still buys horse- have you any texts you could screenshot to support any potential dispute?

-M and her daughter are now inconvenienced as they need to share a horse

-resale could now be compromised by OP slating owner on the internet

-Horse may now be injured from rearing after putting it in a situation M said not to which will cost her money to fix

I'd possibly only refund once horse has been sold, less any livery/ vet costs incurred in the mean time

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP SCREENSHOTS OF EVERYTHING EG THE AD/ OP LYING ON FB/ ANY TEXTS BETWEEN YOU AND HER

Like I say I'm no expert on the legal information I know people have said about ringing the BHS legal line on previous threads so may be worthwhile for some advice. But definitely keep screenshots of every piece of communication/ M trying to advise OP/ the original ad etc