Rearing horse

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I know the market was insanely hot the weeks ago, but honestly, who pays that for a horse they have been told rears? The OP has been naive and had to learn a very expensive lesson, i feel a bit sorry for her.

See I could feel sorry for her at first.
She bought a horse with a known issue which she thought she could overcome. So over confidence and naive- hardly a crime.
The bit I struggle to sympathise with is posting on Facebook acting like the victim, changing her story and trying to blame the previous owner. At no point has she admitted to seeing she's made a huge mistake.

She must feel very stuck but all I can really think is poor horse. I wish she'd come back, admit she's made a mistake and ask for help. I don't know where she's from but if I could help, I would.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
See I could feel sorry for her at first.
She bought a horse with a known issue which she thought she could overcome. So over confidence and naive- hardly a crime.
The bit I struggle to sympathise with is posting on Facebook acting like the victim, changing her story and trying to blame the previous owner. At no point has she admitted to seeing she's made a huge mistake.

She must feel very stuck but all I can really think is poor horse. I wish she'd come back, admit she's made a mistake and ask for help. I don't know where she's from but if I could help, I would.
I agree, but it's always the horse that suffers, it's why I struggle to sell.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
My Dolly can nap. It involves planting, spinning, and running backwards (usually only happens when there is a ditch behind her). I’ve owned her for 18 years, and in all that time, she has reared once. It was just a little couple of feet off the floor rear, and that was because she’d run backwards into a hedge that had a wall in it, so nowhere else to go but a little bit up. I would never buy a known rearer.

Visit site
the fact it reared while she was viewing/riding it clearly didnt put her off which in itself is a bit of a worry!

i don't feel particularly sorry for the OP. Silly girl, but I do feel deeply sorry for the horse.

I second this. Actually very surprised at any 18yo who thinks they're experienced enough to have bought a horse alone with no input (apparently, from an experienced adult for that money.....I wouldn't do it, but what do I know.

*Ducks and runs*

Last edited:

Nari

Visit site
I don't feel remotely sorry for her. I should imagine she mislead the seller about her ability and experience because she was stupid enough to think she could do better than they had. When it went wrong she then bad mouthed the seller on here - a busy forum - and fb, and who knows where else. How must the seller feel if it's been brought to their attention and people have believed the OPs story? And story it almost certainly is, at least in parts, given the inconsistencies. No, I feel sorry for the horse and the seller to a lesser degree, but not the OP.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
I feel for you. I bought a 10 yo ISH last year, stunning looking, he didn't rear but bucked me off 3 times and I just lost my confidence. I am 61, I was lucky to sell him to a young man who loves him and I was honest about his quirks, and he's not bothered. I cut my losses, horses should make you happy and I wasn't at all with him.

Nari

Visit site
I feel for you. I bought a 10 yo ISH last year, stunning looking, he didn't rear but bucked me off 3 times and I just lost my confidence. I am 61, I was lucky to sell him to a young man who loves him and I was honest about his quirks, and he's not bothered. I cut my losses, horses should make you happy and I wasn't at all with him.

How would you have felt if, the first time the horse had bucked, he'd then plastered it all over what is probably the busiest horse forum and a well known fb page that you'd mis-sold the horse and he felt you should take it back and refund him? I know I would be furious, and after the stories told even if I could afford to have it back I'd be worried I'd be stuck with it for good since the horse was labelled as a bad rearer and I would now have an undeserved reputation for dishonesty.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Whilst I’m absolutely not condoning OP’s behaviour I can kinda see how this might have happened. If I think back to when I was 18, I absolutely didn’t know what I didn’t know. Add to that a childhood of being the one drafted in to sit on the tricky ponies, I reckon I most definitely had an inflated opinion of my ability back then. At that age you bounce, and don’t realise your stickability is more luck than judgement half the time.

OP sees the horse advertised and whilst they know it’s a rearer, they think well if a 13yo can handle it, at 18 they most definitely can. Also for some inexplicable reason that I’ve never understood, it seems popular for some circles to post pictures of them sitting rears etc. So there was possibly an element of showing off too. Then reality hits and they realise they’re completely out of their depth, but pride makes it difficult to face facts so they blame others instead.

I just hope in all this the horse doesn’t end up suffering.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Whilst I’m absolutely not condoning OP’s behaviour I can kinda see how this might have happened. If I think back to when I was 18, I absolutely didn’t know what I didn’t know. Add to that a childhood of being the one drafted in to sit on the tricky ponies, I reckon I most definitely had an inflated opinion of my ability back then. At that age you bounce, and don’t realise your stickability is more luck than judgement half the time.

OP sees the horse advertised and whilst they know it’s a rearer, they think well if a 13yo can handle it, at 18 they most definitely can. Also for some inexplicable reason that I’ve never understood, it seems popular for some circles to post pictures of them sitting rears etc. So there was possibly an element of showing off too. Then reality hits and they realise they’re completely out of their depth, but pride makes it difficult to face facts so they blame others instead.

I just hope in all this the horse doesn’t end up suffering.

I completely agree we were all brave kids once... until we realised otherwise x

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
i was the same FF and DG, i would get on anything, even a rearer and managed to survive, as i am now an oldie i need safe and sound now, the wisdom of age and the realisation that i dont bounce now...

I do have to laugh when I look back at some of the horses I rode when I was younger, how I didn’t end up properly hurt at times is anyone’s guess! These days I’m the same as you, give me safe and sound any day.

Misty 2020

Visit site
I also was the same ff and dg I used to ride crazy horses and ponies when I was younger . I also nearly bought a 3 year old unbroken horse lucky I have very sensible parents that didn’t allow me to buy the horse.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
someone bought a horse to see the trainer at my yard as it reared and she didnt know what to do. i offered to ride it (i was 16) and the trainer told me he wouldnt allow anyone to get on it to sort it out and told the girl to get a vets opinion first. i remember i was most put out and felt the trainer was being difficult, how wrong was i :)

View

Visit site
I’m another that as a youngster used to ride lwharecwr cane into the dealer’s yard attached to the riding school. But we were never allowed to get into a rearer until any pain issues were resolved. Anything not showing pain that one lad couldn’t ride forwards and through it in a couple of seconds was shot. The dealer had a reputation to protect and didn’t want horses passed from pillar to post.

But now I’m older and definitely don’t bounce I would never try it.