Riders you admire and why

alexomahony

Visit site
A nice motivational Monday post on a snowy hard-to-get-motivated day!

Which riders do you admire and why?

I could watch Laura Collett all day - I love that she lets the horses ‘play’ while they work (helps being able to stick to them like glue when they do!)

Some time last year I came across a Swedish SJ’er caller Cornelia Rylan who has the most amazing seat and feel for her horses - a very soft rider who’s cues you never see. Really inspiring!

windand rain

Visit site
William Maxwell as a showjumper he is an up and coming rider so hope he continues to be such a stylish and quiet rider as he progresses. Dressage has to be Carl Hester and eventer Roz Canter so fairly predictable on that front.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Laura Kraut, Beezie Madden (why are the Americans so much more stylish than us?!)

A bit lesser known, but Karl Cook and Kaley Cuoco (8 Simple Rules/Big Bang) I really like as horse people. Both quite successful, do lots of charity work, and Kaley is a really stylish show jumper.

Pippa Funnell will always be my favourite though. She was my idol growing up!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I love Pius Schwitzer, the Swiss showumper. His horses always look so relaxed. And Michael Jung the Gernan eventer - he was riding Badminton in a snaffle and he has such great style.

And Tik Maynard because he is passionate about learning everything he can from anyone he can and is incredibly hard working but also generous with his time in teaching or supporting others. I like that attitude.

Visit site
yeah, I was just going to say Daffy44 :) great inspiration to me, in her riding and general approach to horses, and a thoroughly nice person too!
I was going to say you ? ever since you posted your first psg on Kiera I've been smitten with your riding style and horses.
I like Cortez and ycbm's riding an awful lot too, and ihatework and be positive inspire me a lot in their general approach to horses. There's more than just mentioned here though.

BBP

Visit site
Giorgio Pagliaro. Obscure and a parelli instructor which usually would make me switch off, but I watched a video of him riding a very happy looking big, powerful horse bareback and bridleless over some serious fences and he rode beautifully.

Alycia Burton for same reason. Gutsy, balanced and a real partnership with the horse.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was going to say you ? ever since you posted your first psg on Kiera I've been smitten with your riding style and horses.
I like Cortez and ycbm's riding an awful lot too, and ihatework and be positive inspire me a lot in their general approach to horses. There's more than just mentioned here though.

Seriously, no false modesty, I have to rule myself out of this Chinch. I will admit to having (had) guts and a natural balance over big cross country fences, and a lot of experience, but the riding I think you are mostly admiring is just a long legged body shape I was lucky to be born with.

Cortez, I agree with you. Not me in the same sentence though :)

Kareen

www.germanhorseconnection.com
Marcus Hermes for sure, he is one of the most elegant and skilled dressage riders I know. And Steffen Frahm (tghe guy who trained Damsey before Helen got the ride. Luis Fernandes (from Portugal) from the classic league. Nobody teaches a horse such a calm collection and piaffe, passage tour as him. Also a great horseperson and inspiration for his students. As far as jumping and eventing goes I admire my friend Stephan Dubsky's riding (originally from Ireland but has been based in Germany for decades). He will get anything to work and has impeccable balance over a fence. And then from Britain Carl Hester of course and most of his students I've seen. Beautiful riders with feel, technique and lots of empathy. Back in the day I also was a big fan of Conrad Homfeld (gosh I'm old!) There are so many great ones out there, way too many to name...

millikins

Visit site
I remember watching John Francombe ride the XC course at Cheltenham, may have been with Brough Scott, it was effortless. Another male rider when we were at a livery yard rode the same way, he didn't appear to do anything at all but any horse just moved or jumped beautifully. And I admire Pippa Funnell and my daughter who rides in a similar way, neither has the long legged shape that ycbm describes but they get results when nature didn't give them a head start.

Smitty

Visit site
Dare I say, William and Harry. I'm sorry.

And loved a vid that Millipops put up of a lesson with Adam Kemp on the Pre she rode for a while...

Visit site
Seriously, no false modesty, I have to rule myself out of this Chinch. I will admit to having (had) guts and a natural balance over big cross country fences, and a lot of experience, but the riding I think you are mostly admiring is just a long legged body shape I was lucky to be born with.

Cortez, I agree with you. Not me in the same sentence though :)

Sshhh. I admire who I admire.

In all honesty I find very few 'big name' international riders inspiring or motivating; they're just not relateable, with their sponsorships and lorries that cost more than my house and huge premises, however hard you can argue they've worked to get these things. But the everyday successful, contented partnerships I see on social media and forums etc are much more achievable and easier to relate to.

Anyway you've got a spotty. ?

Roxylola

Visit site
I've always liked Pippa Funnell - in part because she's little and I am vertically challenged.
Daffy and MP here for sure, fran and nic Turner, and Red as a horse person for sure - I think I'd admire her as a rider if I saw her ride. Adorable Alice is another good horse person imo.
There's quite a few folk on here who have a natural elegance on a horse that I will never possess. Many already mentioned.
I think I admire riders who connect with their horses and ride with sympathy. Michael Jung, Ingrid Klimke are both lovely riders.
Its easy to say Carl and Charlotte of course, and I do admire them - carl has the elegance; Charlotte's work ethic and the strength amd security in her position is phenomenal.
Lisa Marriott is a lovely rider, she has a way of just sort of smoothing out wrinkles without ever really forcing an issue. I really enjoy watching her ride when I get the opportunity.
Locally and not quite at that level, Hannah Doggett has done amazingly well to put herself back together after the loss of 2 (maybe 3) wonderful horses in really tragic unrelated situations in a very short period of time. Shes another with elegance and a light touch from what I've seen

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Without a doubt Tim Stockdale. He was so knowledgeable, great rider, a true horseman. I remember the first time I took my daughter to a BSJA show. She was very nervous and we were waiting to go into the ring. Tim Stockdale walked by & stopped the pet our horse. He praised the horse & spoke to my daughter. he didn't need to but he wanted to. She told him it was her first time a the show & he just said "you'll do fine, he's a lovely horse" he then walked off to the cafe. She rode a nice round, went clear British Novice. We were walking back to our box & Tim was sitting in the cab of his lorry having a phone call. He called us over & asked how my daughter did. We told him she qent clear & he said "You did well that was quite a technical course. This made my daughter's day. He was a real gentleman, he was always ready to chat. He is sorely missed. RIP Tim.

Winters100

Visit site
I think the rider that I most admire right now is the middle aged lady on our yard who bought her first horse about 6 or 8 months ago. She was very novice when she arrived at the yard, even afraid to canter, but she has worked with her trainer 5 days a week for these months and it is absolutely lovely to see her progress - now a totally different rider. I really admire that, someone who has stuck with it and worked hard.

Littlebear

Visit site
I like Ingrid Klimke. She has reached the highest level in both eventing and dressage and seems like a nice person too. She seems to have a nice way about her with horses also.

I agree, she is a total legend.

I think we all probably admire Carl Hester too, just looks like a walk in the park for him and always looks like he's having the best time with the horses.

I do totally admire the skill and dedication of the riders at the Spanish riding school.

Slightly off topic but I do totally respect all the riders I have seen do well and then had injured horses or they go into older age, they cant ride anymore or afford another but they still give 100% dedication to that horse and put their riding aside to give their horses a great life still.