Riding school still teaching in lockdown- poor form??

angrybird1

Visit site
Unfortunately I think this is comparing apples and oranges. The two situations are totally different one is to do with social distancing and the other to do with time spent away from home and potential risk.
Anyway although competitions aren't currently running, Oliver Townend did a quick interview recently and said he had horses fit and ready for badminton, he couldn't possibly just chuck them out in the field as they'd be creating their own badminton course around the field.
Most things aren't as black and white as your statement suggests.
I'm afraid anything that man said holds as little interest for me as watching paint dry.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you have a horse fit for competing and there are going to be no competitions then what's the point keeping them fit.

Because it takes a minimum of 8 weeks to get a let down horse fit to compete again. When the season starts it will start with a bang, there will be no lead-up to get them fit again, or the whole season would be lost. Whilst there is hope that the season will restart, people who want to compete need the horse to stay fit.

And it's allowed in the guidelines.

Amateurs can ride as their exercise and travel short distances to do so. Professionals are working.

angrybird1

Visit site
Can't you see his point? That fully fit eventers can't just be turned away?
of course I can see the point.. However I happen to think that being responsible and trying to do as the government asks and only doing essential stuff is more important.
I'm sure OT has facilities to let down his horses in a sensible fashion.
Do any of you actually watch the news and see how many people are dying from this virus?
Can you see that trying to stop the spread of it is a little bit more important than playing ponies.
I give up.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
OK this is silly now, having black and white opinions and being unable to discuss things without flouncing is a bit unnecessary.

It's impossible to not be aware that people are dying. Goes without saying. But some elements of life go on, for some people, while they are still able to maintain animals in the best way for them. If the government thought that riding horses was a major problem right now then there would have been a pronouncement on it ;)

ihatework

Visit site
of course I can see the point.. However I happen to think that being responsible and trying to do as the government asks and only doing essential stuff is more important.
I'm sure OT has facilities to let down his horses in a sensible fashion.
Do any of you actually watch the news and see how many people are dying from this virus?
Can you see that trying to stop the spread of it is a little bit more important than playing ponies.
I give up.

There is life outside of the virus.
There is an economy to protect too.

Which doesn’t negate the need to act sensibly, follow guidelines and protect the vulnerable and NHS.

But continuing to work horses within the confines of a yard really does adhere to guidelines. I’m sure Oli and every other professional rider will be evaluating their own situation and the horses they are managing and making the best decision the can for them, the horse, the owner, their country. It’s not a one size fits all.

angrybird1

Visit site
OK this is silly now, having black and white opinions and being unable to discuss things without flouncing is a bit unnecessary.

It's impossible to not be aware that people are dying. Goes without saying. But some elements of life go on, for some people, while they are still able to maintain animals in the best way for them. If the government thought that riding horses was a major problem right now then there would have been a pronouncement on it ;)
I'm not " flouncing" you may not agree with me that's fine. I'm expressing my opinion and apparently that's stupid.