Robert Whitaker

marmite

Visit site
well would i loan horses if i could no but i know more about SJ than snoozearge, but i have every right to say i think RW looks rubbish over jumps because i think he does he has no style just stands up and sticks his bum out dosent fold over the fence with the horse.
If anything he looks like a defensive rider.

buckybee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh for hevans sake, I'd expect criticism, some of it fair, some of it not fair. Thats what professional life is like!! Feeling are irrelevant to this arguement, when you are at the top of a profession, the adage "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen applies". If someone criticises an aspect of my work, I may not like it, it may even hurt my feelings, but I have to ask myself if there is anything in it, and if I feel I should learn from it. If I believe there is no foundation to the criticism, I put it aside and move on, but I don't say they have no right to criticise my work! If you work, I'm guessing you have to accept that others have a right to have an opinion on it! My daughter is a Journalist and she is just in her early 20s, if someone criticises her work, she would probably be more easily upset by it than when she is older and wiser, but that doesn't mean no one should comment in case it hurts her feelings - the same applies to professional showjumpers. After all, the comments on this thread are all about their work, not their figures or their noses! Its all perfectly appropriate!

[/ QUOTE ]

If she was criticised by a coleage then fair enough but if it was some n*b who'd read her artical and didn't have a clue about what was involved in Journalism then i think she would be p****d off!!

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah im not arguing that at all im only saying as a rider i really dont rate him i feel with the whole family they can feed from the last name they share and big things are expected of them.
I never really followed ellen until this past week and i think she deserved it but from watching him he has no pressence on a horse like ellen and i certainly would not want to adopt a jumping position like his.
Sorry just my opinion i really dont think he looks that great or tidy over a fence inbetween great but over a fence he looks tense and clumsy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Careful, apparantly we shouldn't have an opinion
shocked.gif

missshell

Visit site
I remember years ago seeing Robert at a show (he must have only been about 11). He did'nt have a very good round on his pony and went onto the warm up ring and beat it with his whip. He was put in his place by alot of by standers.

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
im only saying as a rider i really dont rate him i feel with the whole family they can feed from the last name they share and big things are expected of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very true hun, but thats nboth a blessing AND a curse.
The name means they have acess to great backing, rides they might not have been given otherwise and fab training.It also means the second they put a foot wrong the whole equine world is slagging them off.If you or did make a mistake its "oh well, bad luck- just not your day".If they do, everyone is on their backs.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Kate "I just happen to think you should only criticise when you know how to do something properly. If you can't do it yourself don't comment. I can't ride dressage, therefore I don't comment on it."
Well, IMHO that is utter rubbish, should people never comment upon or criticise the work of Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians etc because they aren't qualified to do their jobs? Should a person never say they don't like the voice of a singer because they can't sing?

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO. So would you tell a surgeon how to do a heart bypass????

This gets funnier and funnier....

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kate "I just happen to think you should only criticise when you know how to do something properly. If you can't do it yourself don't comment. I can't ride dressage, therefore I don't comment on it."
Well, IMHO that is utter rubbish, should people never comment upon or criticise the work of Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians etc because they aren't qualified to do their jobs? Should a person never say they don't like the voice of a singer because they can't sing?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Your right it does! but you might want to comment if he buggered it up. Still from what you say, its all about getting them over the fences eh?

marmite

Visit site
hang on your been rather defensive this is what is called a disscusion we all have our opinions people like me small time local sj stuff have theese professional riders to look up to and im sorry anybody who jumps like him looks like a pratt.
Yeah fair enough he gets over in one piece so do alot of other riders who actually have style.
He does not make me as an equine sit and go YES i want to ride like him i dont like his jumping position and like i said i feel he has no pressence on a horse he looks like he is sat on top and just steers them.
As for ellen she looks in tune with her ride feels every thought they have how on earth could she of got as far as she did tonight if that was not the case did not see the wonder RW get as far as her did we?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you can have an opinion,we can't wait to see the pics of your world class horses in the picture gallery.

Fiona_C

Visit site
Not knowing a lot about today's s/j, too old and long in the tooth, i'm still in the days of Harvey Smith etc, but talking of position and hands, who remembers a rider, now bear with me i know his surname but unsure on forename
confused.gif
of "Bowen", he'd crash down into the saddle on landing, his hands were like steel and had no give whatsoever
frown.gif
and he got results constantly.

ETS: He'd be kicking on and then holding back with his hands, can picture him riding now "shakes head" was horrible
mad.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Your right it does! but you might want to comment if he buggered it up. Still from what you say, its all about getting them over the fences eh?

[/ QUOTE ]
well, it isnt about going through the fences is it?? If he cocked it up I'd say "well he's tried his best, and his horse tried, and bad luck"

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you can have an opinion,we can't wait to see the pics of your world class horses in the picture gallery.

[/ QUOTE ]Oh so if we have world class horses we can have an opinion, but otherwise we can't. Is there what you resort to when you have run out of intelligent arguement?

marmite

Visit site
so your sat on the high horse slagging all of us off for daring to slag him off dont know if you know him in real life i would hope you do because if you dont you sound like a mental fan of his.

difference is we are entitled to opinions your basically saying by i cant wait to see pics of your world class horses we are not.

So come on if your opinion so much more important than ours and you know so much more than us where are your wonderful world class horses?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
I just happen to think you should only criticise when you know how to do something properly. If you can't do it yourself don't comment. I can't ride dressage, therefore I don't comment on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's silly; I can't hit a note but I can tell if someone can or can't sing
smile.gif
I think we're all entitled to our opinions... even if I disagree with someone I don't question their right to tell me what they think...
But that's getting a bit profound... will slide back into the shadows now.

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] So you stand by this comment do you? It speaks volumes!

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Havnt read the whole post just the opening post but i would say firstly he has improved ALOT since i saw him at his first hickstead (he was atrocious) and hes become a more mature and sympathetic rider of late
Would also say i find ellens hands a LOT more unforgiving, she hauls about all over the place, have not really noticed robert doing it.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
so your sat on the high horse slagging all of us off for daring to slag him off dont know if you know him in real life i would hope you do because if you dont you sound like a mental fan of his.

difference is we are entitled to opinions your basically saying by i cant wait to see pics of your world class horses we are not.

So come on if your opinion so much more important than ours and you know so much more than us where are your wonderful world class horses?

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS all I said was I felt it unfair to slag people off when the OP had already said she didnt know about SJ. I'm not prepared to get into a silly slanging match with you marmite because I can almost feel you getting wound up from here, and I have seen you wound up on forum...t'is not pretty
wink.gif

we have had our opinions, and that includes me. We have had a little discussion on whether we think Robert is a good rider or not, which had turned into a discussion on wheter we have the right to comment or not. You think it's fair, i don't. Afterall we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
'Afterall we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we? '

Not by your standards...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, but then I give mY opinion and am wrong to do so!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don't slag off someone who rides far better than I do. Therefore I have nothing to prove.

marmite

Visit site
you are wrong when you basically said none of us have world class horses so we cant voice our opinions and you seem to know everything and argue everyone who goes against you.

I fail to see your name on leader boards or see any fab pics off you and your horses.

RW is not that great at all his jumping position is frankly crap and he did not fair that well tonight did he where as ellen did,and with stlye nice pressence on her horse alot of trust to turn like she did and plus actually get into the jump off then to finish second.

And as for feeling me getting me wound up not really im sat with 2 other members from the forum and we are laughing at the fact none of us have ever heard of you let alone seen any wonderful pics of your horses and riding career that justifys to us that you have the right to put such challenges to us you can far from meet yourself.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
This is what I believe:

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it. " attributed, probably inaccurately to Voltaire (the first one, not the HHOer)

Whether or not I like what you have to say (and I don't mean you specifically Kate), I won't dispute your right to say it. In fact I am infuriated by anyone who says "you can't say that... for X, Y, Z reason"
I believe you have been saying that unless we can perform at the same level as RW, we can't criticise him because it's not fair...
That's not going to stop me saying Richard Gere is an inferior actor, that all politicians in Argentina are crooked, that footballers IMO earn FAR more than they deserve, that Anna Kournikova is not all that... God, I could go on....
That's what freedom of speech is all about.

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don't slag off someone who rides far better than I do. Therefore I have nothing to prove.

[/ QUOTE ] Define rides far better! Is socking a horse in the teeth but winning a class better than riding quietly and not winning better?

And your opinion is that we shouldn't have an opinion. We should be thankful that you are not a Politician given that we want to live in a democracy!

Oh and I am the original poster who knows little about SJ, this doesn't mean I know nothing about riding, horses welfare, comfort etc!

Face it your arguement on our discussion has run out of steam!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
you are wrong when you basically said none of us have world class horses so we cant voice our opinions and you seem to know everything and argue everyone who goes against you.

I fail to see your name on leader boards or see any fab pics off you and your horses.

RW is not that great at all his jumping position is frankly crap and he did not fair that well tonight did he where as ellen did,and with stlye nice pressence on her horse alot of trust to turn like she did and plus actually get into the jump off then to finish second.

And as for feeling me getting me wound up not really im sat with 2 other members from the forum and we are laughing at the fact none of us have ever heard of you let alone seen any wonderful pics of your horses and riding career that justifys to us that you have the right to put such challenges to us you can far from meet yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

So when did I say i had great horses and was a fab rider? I don't critisise others, because I am not in their league, so feel it unfair to do so. If you criticise someone in their riding then at least do it because you CAN do better, and back it up and demonstrate how it should be done, We can all talk the talk hun.

2 other forum members?? LMFAO.
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

marmite

Visit site
My god babe you are on fire tonight lmfao this is why i love you my word you just get your opinion across on more than one level.

Love you to death babes x x x x x x x x