Rude/thoughtless things people say . . .

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's sometimes an easy mistake to make though. Friend was telling me about a coloured cob for sale on her yard, would make a lovely allrounder but green & therefore cheap & I should buy it as daughters next pony as it would be ideal. My response 'theres no way she's having a coloured cob next'. Which if it had been overheard could easily be seen as rude. But, as my friend already knows, my daughter has always preferred finer types. Connies are the only chunkier ones she likes & that's only cos I've got one. She likes show ponies, section b's, show hacks & fine tbs. And secondly I find coloureds a pita to keep clean, they show dust & dirt, & unless it had v little white I would only buy my daughter any coloured when I don't have to help keep it clean. So not a rude comment at all, but it could easily be taken that way.

I don't like coloureds or cobs and not afraid to say it, but I wouldn't make a rude comment to someone about their horse. If they asked me my honest opinion I would tell them I am not into coloured cobs but if their horse is what they want then great!

STOP COB BASHING. You're SO rude :mad:

*throws custard pie*

Littlelegs

Visit site
Seriously, daughter thinks sec a's are 'too wide' & has already told me when she's big enough for a tb she wants a flat racer type not a chunky tb like the ones mummy likes.
< toddles off to look for Apple crumble to go with the custard>

JFTDWS

Visit site
Seriously, daughter thinks sec a's are 'too wide' & has already told me when she's big enough for a tb she wants a flat racer type not a chunky tb like the ones mummy likes.
< toddles off to look for Apple crumble to go with the custard>

I would make some really inappropriate joke about her changing her mind when she gets to her teens and such, but lets not go there :eek:

If you insult highlands too, I will have a tantrum and throw steaming hot apple crumble at you next ;)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Highlands are smelly!
(I really fancy Apple crumble & custard now, & I'm just debating whether I cba to core an apple & fill it with syrup & wait for it to cook, or do I just eat doritos?)

JFTDWS

Visit site
*There is apple crumble, custard, clotted cream, napkins and cutlery literally flying around the forum now. Heads up guys, a knifey impalement isn't made much more pleasant by a splattering with apple crumble and custard y'know!*

Ow, that custard had some serious skin on it :eek:

alainax

Visit site
Its Natural to be hurt by unkind things others say.

From their comments you have to think 2 things;

1. Is there any wisdom to be gained from the comment that I can use to my advantage in life.

2. What is the motive for the comment.

I have found ( not always in the horsey world) that most comments will have a motive which is not 100% as it has be implied. Insecurities of the party involved play a huge role.

You have to rise above the comments, and to feel sorry for those who passed them in an unkind way. For it is them who are lacking in some part of them, not you.

Do not be upset by them, life is far too short for that. Worrying is not effective. Take what you can, and use it.

Dont waste your time on jealousy. Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.

I have found, the greatest sense of calm by listening to what other say, gleaning from it any of the truths and using them as a tool, and with the rest deciding when to know that they are wrong - and understanding why they feel this way.
Understanding that it is them who are lacking the education, the knowledge or just the openness of mind - and not berate them or be angry with them, but just to know in yourself that your concern shouldn't be with their comments, but to feel sympathy for them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

In the end, if we only have one shot at this... lets not waste it around the ones who have negativity surrounding them- rise above, find the positive in every situation and dont let the basterds get you down!

Last edited:

trottingon

Visit site
I hate TBs with their lanky legs and agree Highlands stink! Sorry alainax I didn't hear a word of that..... was too busy thinking about apple crumble and custard and cream......
If anyone has any rhubarb would they mind telling me what horse they've got please and I'll hate those too!!!!

(This thread was getting far too serious!!)

I struggle with foot in mouth disease even though I fight it like mad on a daily basis ..... If you can't say anything nice or constructive don't say anything at all is the motto I would love to live by. Unfortunately I'm rubbish at expressing myself so what should be a nice comment sometimes comes out the wrong way, and then when I try to explain it the right way I get myself in such a muddle I usually make it worse....and I'm a forty-something well educated woman who should find talking and making sense at the same time a doddle!!!!!
:) :) :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Flying food???!!!! Why didn't anyone a.ert me to this event????

You're all a bunch of fat cobs!

:D

cob&onion

Visit site
There seems to be a pattern, most people who have had rude things said about them tend to be cob owners......

tallyho!

Visit site
It's only coz they're jealous C&O...

For a start, cob owners are usually the only ones who have horses they can actually RIDE (I mean, who'd a thunk that was possible?).

Then, cobs are usually the ones you can actually catch from the field.

After that, you're probably richer than what the average Belgian Warmblood owner is, as you spend very little in the way of feed/bedding coz they live out on fresh air. Warmblood owners just *look* rich but how can they be if they spend every penny on ANKY dayglo clobber and dead sheep??

That's another point... how many dead sheep do you need before it's actually COMFORTABLE to sit on a bony thoroughbred?? LOL!!! :D

So, you know what they say, if the green eyed monster is watching, you can tell from the loud noises it's making :):):):):)

Hope I wasn't too rude and thoughtless... :D

Last edited:

cob&onion

Visit site
It's only coz they're jealous C&O...

For a start, cob owners are usually the only ones who have horses they can actually RIDE (I mean, who'd a thunk that was possible?).

Then, cobs are usually the ones you can actually catch from the field.

After that, you're probably richer than what the average Belgian Warmblood owner is, as you spend very little in the way of feed/bedding coz they live out on fresh air. Warmblood owners just *look* rich but how can they be if they spend every penny on ANKY dayglo clobber and dead sheep??

That's another point... how many dead sheep do you need before it's actually COMFORTABLE to sit on a bony thoroughbred?? LOL!!! :D

So, you know what they say, if the green eyed monster is watching, you can tell from the loud noises it's making :):):):):)

Hope I wasn't too rude and thoughtless... :D

:D:D:D

Goldenstar

Visit site
There area group of people who ask your opinion and then don't want to hear it ,if someone asks me about N issue with their horse I will tell directly what I think.
Some people just hate this but why ask a direct question of someone is you don't want a straight answer.
I don't understand that but have learnt over time that unless I really am committed to the individual it's easier to be non committal .

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Very responsible.

Hope neither of them were hurt. Not to mention of course, your horse which 'disappeared off into the sunset with said rider.

FWIW, I think out of the two, putting someone at risk for your own self pride and entertainment is a darn lot worse than someone being slightly ignorant or rude about cobs.

Christ almighty :rolleyes: Tongue in cheek comment, my dear.

Both riders were "experienced with youngsters", one claimed to have worked in backing / breaking on an eventing yard. I was having problems with a very green 4yo cob (i.e. he decked me three times in a month), but as it's just a cob it'll be a piece of cake, right? Obviously I'm just a crap rider.

The first one was a spook and a drop of the shoulder. She hit the floor. She was fine. I laughed. Second one took him in a large (but enclosed) field, me on foot. He spooked, tanked forward, she wobbled, then claimed she wanted to "run it out of him". Judging by the fact she went rather pale and I never heard off her again, I'm not inclined to believe her.

Pone wasn't hurt or put at risk in any way, shape or form. In fact, had they been as experienced as they said they were, they would have been doing me a huge favour. As it was, they were full of bulls*** and yes, it was very entertaining :)

Captain Bridget

Visit site
The horse I ride is an ex race horse, he was pretty rubbish, ran in 3 races, came last in one and pretty sure he didn't finish the other two. He isn't the brightest spark but he's sweet and does everything I ask of him.

The girl who rides him loves him and is generally kind to him, though she does laugh at him sometimes for being an idiot. But her dad can be really mean about him sometimes calling him stupid and assuming it's always him that's been naughty or something when it's pretty much always the other horse.

It doesn't sound like much but it really gets to me. I've been working hard with him and I really love riding him and being around him but her dad makes me feel really stupid for believing he's such a lovely horse, like he's different when I'm not there! But I very much doubt her dad has any idea he's kind of hurting my feelings when he says these things. He's just joking around but it's not kind.

Also, it's not just people laughing at cobs, this is a 16.2 TB, albeit he only cost £800!

Spotsrock

Visit site
Captain B mine was considerably less £ than that even! He's an absolute star!

I recently was told his brother isn't doing so well racing so a girl at my yard who I adore has previously said she would like a tb and makes favourable comments about my lads temperament, work and progress. so I asked if I am offered his brother cheap at any point would she be interested as I am not looking but don't like the thought of him going off to sales if he is sensitive like his big bro. Anyway she said yes but only if he is more correctly put together than mine as she would have to get him past her mother!

Love her to bits and I know my lad is long in front but it was a bit of a curve ball and I did come over all protective of him lol! I know what she means but he can do any job I've asked of him so far and he doesn't look deformed or anything! Still, I just took it as badly expressed and moved on. I like her horse but probably would not choose to own it so can't really be offended if she feels same way about mine!

Interstingly I have a coblet and never have negative things said about her! She is kept trimmed and hogged though and and looks like a little sports horse!

Orls

Visit site

As the owner of a Belgian Warmblood I have to say this is absolutely true :D I may have a flashy horse and some very flashy equipment but behind the scenes I'm eating baked beans every night and going to bed in three layers to avoid the expense of having the heating on! I exaggerate but I will say I am one of those warmblood people ..... Although to be fair to be I can actually ride my monkey of a horse :)

PonyFeet10

Visit site
My best friend had her beloved horse PTS last year after suffering with acute laminitis to the point where the pedal bone had dropped through.. She left after he was gone and I stayed with him until the lorry came to collect his body.. Our yard owner at the time came out whilst I was sat crying over him and said 'Jessie will be next then' with a big grin on his face. Jessie is my first pony which I've owned for 11 years, she's retired to sidebone, ringbone and arthritis but is sound and very happy out in the field. Couldn't believe what I had heard and sat there in shock afterwards.. It wasn't the first time he had mentioned it either!

tallyho!

Visit site
As the owner of a Belgian Warmblood I have to say this is absolutely true :D I may have a flashy horse and some very flashy equipment but behind the scenes I'm eating baked beans every night and going to bed in three layers to avoid the expense of having the heating on! I exaggerate but I will say I am one of those warmblood people ..... Although to be fair to be I can actually ride my monkey of a horse :)

No way! A warmblood? Being ridden??? We need proof Orls!!

Orls

Visit site
No way! A warmblood? Being ridden??? We need proof Orls!!

image_zps7b129cd6.jpg

Here's proof. In this photo you can clearly see I am riding riding him (even if I did hit the dirt seconds later!) :D

Orls

Visit site
Sorry that photo is huge, first time I've posted a pic ( and not a very flattering one for a first attempt haha!)

1stclassalan

Visit site
Excuse me for joining in so late - but what exactly is being "rude" these days?

It used to be a word for being rough, countryish manners - as in a rude building ( one cobbled together ) or not knowing how to eat with knives and forks properly or use the correct words - droppings, might be acceptable whereas poo or s*it would be rude. Rudimentary - means basic etc., etc.

Now, all the posts I've seen above that complain of rudeness merely detail information the listener would have rather not heard - so where's the rudeness? This is especially so when some of the forthright answers were ASKED for in the first place!

I'd love to know how many of the offended posters have sat through a comedy act on telly in which every other word is an expletive or an offensive comment ..... without turning a hair .... or more's the point - ignoring the bad language and laughing!

I suspect - all of them.

Expressing a preference for one colour of horse over an another - is personal choice - nothing more - using the word "hate" maybe a trifle strong but some people have a limited vocabulary - oops, I've just been rude to the uneducated!

LucyAmelia

Visit site
Really annoys me when people decide to point out if they think a horse is 'ugly' to the owner. You might think so but they obviously don't so why even say something so hurtful. At the end of the day, everyone has their own taste in horses and for many people its not just about looks.