sad advert preying on my mind

Visit site
Why always think its cruel to rehome an oldie? Personally Id rather keep them (have one as a field ornament as we speak) but if the horse is still perfectly healthy then I think its a real shame to not at least try to find a nice companion home for it. Plenty of people will take on older quiet ponies.
........ have you seen the state of the animal? She looks like a walking vets bill. If I could afford her, as soon as I got her home I'd want to worm, full blood test & PPID, dentist and farrier. Passing on a horse in that state when it's too old to churn foals out for you isn't fair and there's a vast glut of unwanted companions looking for homes everywhere.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Why always think its cruel to rehome an oldie? Personally Id rather keep them (have one as a field ornament as we speak) but if the horse is still perfectly healthy then I think its a real shame to not at least try to find a nice companion home for it. Plenty of people will take on older quiet ponies.
And plenty of seemingly nice forever homes will attempt to sell them on for a quick buck. I wish people could take responsibility for horses that have given them so many good years. If you can't keep them in their retirement then pts. Don't pass the responsibility to someone else!

Skips11

Visit site
Sadly she won’t be coming home with me. She is 24, and whilst I am willing to put some love/time/money into something, my sensible head says that the eventual companion does have a purpose and will need to be around a while longer than I think this mare might be.
I wish I hadn’t enquired as now it feels worse leaving her, but we can’t save them all!

I really hope someone is able to give her some love and a dignified rest of her life, however long it may be.

Skips11

Visit site
I wonder if they'd accept offers. Really reluctant to spend £1000 on something in her condition because I'd absolutely want the vet out asap and to quarantine away from my other horses for a bit and it all quickly adds up.
Would have thought so, reason for sale is downsizing. I can’t imagine anyone sensible would turn down a good home for a horse like this

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
If she was a hand smaller and a lot cheaper I wouldn't mind her. Provided her health is generally ok she should have quite a few more years, I certainly hope mine will. Mine is 22 but has leg problems due to very straight hind legs and dropped pasterns.

Visit site
@Madd1 that's a really kind offer but I'm not sure it's feasible or fair. I don't like the idea of others funding my animals - besides, it's not so much the purchase costs, because - although it would pretty much clear me out - it is at least upfront and clear. But I would be concerned about ongoing upkeep on something that age, in poor condition and of unknown health, plus I only have 3 stables but getting her would mean owning 4 horses, all of whom would be pasture pets. I also don't have my own transport so would have to hire a lorry to collect.
If she was £500 instead of almost £1000 I'd have phoned already, though; I have a soft spot for plain bay mares, and she's got a kind face.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
@Madd1 that's a really kind offer but I'm not sure it's feasible or fair. I don't like the idea of others funding my animals - besides, it's not so much the purchase costs, because - although it would pretty much clear me out - it is at least upfront and clear. But I would be concerned about ongoing upkeep on something that age, in poor condition and of unknown health, plus I only have 3 stables but getting her would mean owning 4 horses, all of whom would be pasture pets. I also don't have my own transport so would have to hire a lorry to collect.
If she was £500 instead of almost £1000 I'd have phoned already, though; I have a soft spot for plain bay mares, and she's got a kind face.
They may take 500….

stangs

Visit site
Even if she were only 500 quid, the cost of Prascend - which, from the looks of her in the photos, she'll soon be needing - will soon bring you over 1000 again. I know I'm going against the HHO grain here, but I wouldn't take a punt on her.

Jambarissa

Visit site
I am glad a don't have my own land else I'd have so many pity ponies 😢

It would be very kind of someone to take her but agree that to do right by her and get her the treatment she'd need is likely to be a money pit.

A strong person might be able to give her a beautiful summer then put her to rest ♥️

Sandstone1

Visit site
I am glad a don't have my own land else I'd have so many pity ponies 😢

It would be very kind of someone to take her but agree that to do right by her and get her the treatment she'd need is likely to be a money pit.

A strong person might be able to give her a beautiful summer then put her to rest ♥️
On the other hand if someone takes her on, getting her wormed and teeth done and some decent food she could pick up no end. Hope someone can give her a chance.