Sad news about Lari

SO1

Visit site
I am sorry to hear this bad news. I am sure you will do what is best for Lari in order for him to be happy and comfortable.

It is difficult to be able to rehab a retired horse from a soft tissue injuries as when it comes to the trotting you will need to long rein or run with him till you get to the point where they can have turnout.

Birker2020

Visit site
I am sorry to hear this bad news. I am sure you will do what is best for Lari in order for him to be happy and comfortable.

It is difficult to be able to rehab a retired horse from a soft tissue injuries as when it comes to the trotting you will need to long rein or run with him till you get to the point where they can have turnout.
I have no intention of rehabbing him. I've spent months rehabbing him which is why he's at retirement livery in the first place.

If his injury is such that he can't go out with the others and has to spend his life in a little paddock then its the end of the line.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
I think you need to check with your vet about the VirkonE but I have used it for exactly that in the past. My theory was if it was safe to totally wash down walls and floors in stables it was safe enough to use as a bed eating deterrent.
But it was not a colic prone horse I was dealing with so safer to get your vets opinion I think.
Yeah it was the last one that was colic prone. Luckily Lari gas the constitution if an Ox.

Currently sat in a layby waiting for yard to open with a sick feeling.

meesha

Visit site
Thinking of you Birker2020, hope all is better than expected but if not, having had one PTS the decision is the hardest thing, I only felt relief after and the slight worry I should have done it sooner ...you have his best interests at heart and the courage to make the right decision.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I'm sorry he has thrown a spanner in the works. I think you are right in your decision to give it the weekend and have a scan though, for peace of mind.

I am thinking of Mr Red's horse who even the vet thought had done a tendon, turned out the be mud fever in the making. Then again on another occasion, everyone thought he'd done a tendon, but it was just a small bruise on the sheath.

Fingers crossed the path is clear on Monday. Whatever happens, you know you did your best for him.

Last edited:

cauda equina

Visit site
I hope Lari is more comfortable this morning and that the scan is encouraging
You and Lari both deserve a break, you've been through so much

Trouper

Visit site
However the day goes we are all thinking of you and know you will have the courage to do the best for him as always.

Birker2020

Visit site
Just got back. Leg still hot and swollen but walking better but then he's had two bute. He's very quiet which is a bit worrying.

Soaked leg in cold water again and re bandaged. Going to ice vibe later. He's had his antibiotics. He's eating his hay and seems like he's placing his leg better with more weight distribution.

Hoping its to do with his toe, if it is infected the antibiotics should have kicked by tomorrow.

Bradsmum

Visit site
I am so sorry that things have gone a bit pear-shaped, it’s time both you and Lari got some good luck. Hoping he continues to improve and can enjoy his retirement as planned.

eggs

Visit site
So sorry to hear this Birker, no-one can doubt that everything you have done / will do have been in Lari's best interests.

Fingers crossed that the problem is coming from the foot and can be resolved easily. Like Red-1, I had a horse who looked like he had blown a tendon and was hopping lame but that also turned out to be the beginnings of mud fever.