Saddles Aaaarghhh Treeless or ridiculously spendy for a young Welshie

palo1

Visit site
Did you do a search on here about Solution saddles? Please proceed with caution, they do not suit every horse.

Yes, I think proceeding with caution is always wise with saddles! Please feel free to PM me if you feel there is something in particular I should be cautious about :)

Marigold4

Visit site
Mmm, well I have rung and hopefully will be able to arrange a trial of a Solution saddle soon. No harm in looking to see what they are like after all I guess!! They are one of the only treeless saddles I have found that seem to be good for jumping as well as other stuff...
Thank you - Solutions fitter is coming to see me with a few saddles early next week. I feel sick at the potential cost tbh and I would be sad to pee off my existing saddle fitter but no point in having a blimming horse if I can't ride her!! There are other options of course so no problem with trying it out. I would be interested to hear more about anyone who has had issues with shimming, movement etc etc. Please feel free to share good and not so good experiences!! :)

Exactly - you have very little to lose in doing a trial. I really liked the fact that I could try it out for a week. It's so difficult to make decision on a saddle in the usual way with an hour max to make up your mind, then you are stuck with it. You may not like it but at least you have given it a whirl. I don't use shims for mine - I use the dorsal pads that velcro onto the saddle cloth, so it's not that much different to a putting on a normal saddle but gives it more clearance over his spine/ wither. I backed mine in it and he has been as good as gold and when checked by physio, she commented on how good his back felt.

palo1

Visit site
black country? its the only thing that fits my wide sec B...they do a native tree esp for these types :)
Sadly the Black Country trees don't really fit my mare: she needs a really wide gullet; although the front of the tree on the Black Country (various) is lovely and wide, it isn't really wide enough all along. I know they are hugely popular with Welshies though so a bit peed off that my horse doesn't conform!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have been looking at the solution treeless saddles and they look good! Expensive to buy but would hopefully last ages ? I cannot for the life of me find any second hand Solutions native saddles but perhaps I am not looking in the right places...I would definately ask a Solutions saddle fitter to help if I was to go down that road. :)

The beauty of a treeless is that it will accommodate the horse's changing shape. We have Solutions and they certainly are ok over varied terrain. I don't jump so can't say one way or the other about that. I have had an SC before and had it altered to fit 2 completely different horses. I like it because it was very light compared to the saddles that it replaced.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Do they hold their resale value fairly well too? Even if its a sensible stop gap while she grows up, I find working out cost per year makes me feel better about stuff.

palo1

Visit site
So, a bit (a lot) worried about the cost of a solutions saddle as the newer ones seem to have less good feedback than older versions... more experiences and views please!! Well out of the box could be a Total Contact Saddle - I can't quite see how they can NOT produce pressure hot spots but can't find any negative feedback about them either...well not specifically.

Could a TCS be an interim measure ?

TPO

Visit site
I have no personal experience of treeless and only have bad secondhand experiences (sore backs).

In your shoes I'd get a second hand saddle company. It maybe changed but they only had 3 trees at one point so it shouldn't be too hard to pick up what you need. If there is a specific gusset and/or panel configuration that you need then email Dave at The Saddle Company (or have your fitter do it) and get a quote for adjusting or fitting whatever your requirements are. SC dont hold their value and you'll get one for £300 or less via ebay or the SC second hand page on FB. I'm sure the quote for whatever changes are required will still being your total in well under the £800 it would cost for a new custom version.

That would allow you to continue working the horse for weight management and the SC saddles are adjustable as the horse gets fitter. Then when she is a stable/fit size consider a more expensive saddle that you get on with better?

palo1

Visit site
I have no personal experience of treeless and only have bad secondhand experiences (sore backs).

In your shoes I'd get a second hand saddle company. It maybe changed but they only had 3 trees at one point so it shouldn't be too hard to pick up what you need. If there is a specific gusset and/or panel configuration that you need then email Dave at The Saddle Company (or have your fitter do it) and get a quote for adjusting or fitting whatever your requirements are. SC dont hold their value and you'll get one for £300 or less via ebay or the SC second hand page on FB. I'm sure the quote for whatever changes are required will still being your total in well under the £800 it would cost for a new custom version.

That would allow you to continue working the horse for weight management and the SC saddles are adjustable as the horse gets fitter. Then when she is a stable/fit size consider a more expensive saddle that you get on with better?

Yes, I probably need to accept that this is the best compromise though I will probably have to get a SCS made up with the extra wide gullet. It would still be cheaper by far than a Solutions saddle and not as 'out there' as a TCS!! I have had them before too though I tried one again today (on a different horse) and found it really uncomfy. Horse seemed ok with it though!! :) The problem is that I will undoubtedly have to wait several weeks for anything now and so will have to think about alternative activities for madam!! :)

Reactions: TPO

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
thorn pad :p
I think with that and the TCS it depends on your weight though those that do have stirrup bar issues tend to be adults using them on bigger beasts.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Just to chuck another option in there as I was in a similar position to you with my native (I wasn't prepared to shell out for a solution, but tried quite few of the other options here) - I ended up with a tekna maximus, which is a flat treed version of their standard saddle. Mine carries her bit of extra weight just behind the shoulder, so I figured that a changeable gullet may come in useful as she fittens up. It actually fits really well, and certainly doesn't move at all, and seems to agree with her roly poly self. It's not a patch on my black country to ride in but it certainly isn't uncomfortable and I would happily jump in it, plus it is phenomenally light and wasn't expensive enough for me to worry about replacing it in a couple of years.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
You could also consider a Wow. If you have a helpful fitter you can source your own bits second hand and ought to be able to get a saddle that would last a long time with loads of tweakability for £5-800 i would think.

Reactions: TPO

palo1

Visit site
So, having stewed for several hours I think sadly I will cancel the Solutions fitter; I simply cannot spend over £2k on a saddle no matter how wonderful :( I have ordered a Christ Lamfelle bareback pad so I can toddle about a bit. I will have to work through several options now. I never thought it would be this difficult to find a saddle for a Welsh cob!! Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas - please keep them coming :)

palo1

Visit site
You could also consider a Wow. If you have a helpful fitter you can source your own bits second hand and ought to be able to get a saddle that would last a long time with loads of tweakability for £5-800 i would think.

This is an interesting idea - hadn't thought of that!! Thank you. Good suggestion for further research :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
They are marmite saddles but I like marmite ? I have had several over the years and like them.

Jellymoon

Visit site
Shame you have cancelled your Solution trial, I have been using them for years and they are absolutely brilliant, if used correctly with the help of a good fitter. I do everything in them, and I am yet to have a horse or pony of any shape who hasn’t gone well in them.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
So, having stewed for several hours I think sadly I will cancel the Solutions fitter; I simply cannot spend over £2k on a saddle no matter how wonderful :( I have ordered a Christ Lamfelle bareback pad so I can toddle about a bit. I will have to work through several options now. I never thought it would be this difficult to find a saddle for a Welsh cob!! Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas - please keep them coming :)

It really is worth trialling the solutions saddles, if it doesnt suit then its one to cross off the list for minimal outlay and maximum trailing opportunity and there are many options to buy second hand (looking for misspelled words on ebay sometimes throws up bargain solutions saddles and extras) and they offer a sort of finance on the new ones, deposit and so much per month for x months by standing order :)

palo1

Visit site
It really is worth trialling the solutions saddles, if it doesnt suit then its one to cross off the list for minimal outlay and maximum trailing opportunity and there are many options to buy second hand (looking for misspelled words on ebay sometimes throws up bargain solutions saddles and extras) and they offer a sort of finance on the new ones, deposit and so much per month for x months by standing order :)

Well I haven't cancelled the trial yet and will probably go ahead tbh. I am just in a complete quandrary and rather anxious about the potential cost of a solutions saddle. However, it is not ridiculously expensive to try so I will probably give that a go, even if it is wonderful and I can't afford one, at least I will know and can, possibly, save up! :)

Wheels

Visit site
If you are still going to trial the solution then dont cancel the fitter, you will need the fitter to get the balance right otherwise the trial may not work just because you haven't got the padding quite right

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Yes, they are lovely saddles as are the LM saddles but I don't know how the rails etc would work on my horse - they are not a saddle that my fitter has identified as being suitable (I don't know the reason for that though). If I go for a treed saddle I would probably choose one where I have seen the 'naked' saddle tree on my little mare. :) I love the Harry Dabbs saddle and also the Adam Ellis Entice whose tree would fit my mare beautifully (at the moment!) but the main reason for NOT choosing a treed saddle is the fact that it would be very expensive if/when my mare changes shape more than anything my saddle fitter can cope with!

Not many fitters know of them, we're a fairly small niche brand but many of us fitters are recommended by local regular saddle fitters for wide horses that they don't have easy solutions for. Do look up reviews on FB, Google etc,

Speak to sbloom on here, she excels in this sort of work, I don't fit saddles now but I am happy to recommend her to give you the advice you need, Oz (Saddler)

Thank you Oz, it obviously wouldn't be me as I dont' cover the area but we have fitters all over, search us out on t'interwebs and you'll find more info. We also run this group on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641386762817197/ and the fitter for your area should be able to help you decide which model would suit so you can hunt for a second hand one. I always say spend well on a good second hand leather saddle and you might even make money when you sell it, don't scrimp, look at what you make or lose over time, as long as you can find the cash in the first place. I'm usually reluctant to fit a new saddle to a 4 year old and will help customers with this. We moderate the group closely so if you see an AH saddle listed it should be what it says it is.

palo1

Visit site
If you are still going to trial the solution then dont cancel the fitter, you will need the fitter to get the balance right otherwise the trial may not work just because you haven't got the padding quite right

No, fitter nor trial cancelled! I will see what that experience brings us and go from there :)

ozpoz

Visit site
I think Solution saddles can work out cheaper in the long run as they can be continually adapted to fit a changing shape or different horses, and they hold their value so well. But you do need to have one of their fitters out as they fit differently to other saddles.
Trying one out sounds like a good idea.

Baccara

Visit site
Im having a Solutions advisor out this morning for a wide shouldered dressage horse. Ive always had Albions in the past but they are not quite right for this horse. I will be trialing it for a period of time to give both of us a fair chance of getting use to it. Did you know they do interest free credit for up to 12 months? That might help you out financuialy.

palo1

Visit site
Speak to sbloom on here, she excels in this sort of work, I don't fit saddles now but I am happy to recommend her to give you the advice you need, Oz (Saddler)

Thank you - I think something like an AH or LM second hand saddle might work. I will check this out. :) I am not sure why my fitter hasn't got those on the list tbh as they seem obvious possibilities to me. I feel a bit frustrated - I really like and trust her and she has always found what we need, in budget (small or large) previously so I would be loathe to ignore her advice but if all she can find are things that don't work for some reason or another (at this point money and the age of the horse) then I may have to go freestyle. That makes me a bit sad and also slightly concerned in all honesty. But I do need to investigate different things or I will end up spending more money than I have available or finding myself a saddle that won't work. Boohoo. Oh the boredom of the saddle hunt...

palo1

Visit site
Not many fitters know of them, we're a fairly small niche brand but many of us fitters are recommended by local regular saddle fitters for wide horses that they don't have easy solutions for. Do look up reviews on FB, Google etc,

Thank you Oz, it obviously wouldn't be me as I dont' cover the area but we have fitters all over, search us out on t'interwebs and you'll find more info. We also run this group on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641386762817197/ and the fitter for your area should be able to help you decide which model would suit so you can hunt for a second hand one. I always say spend well on a good second hand leather saddle and you might even make money when you sell it, don't scrimp, look at what you make or lose over time, as long as you can find the cash in the first place. I'm usually reluctant to fit a new saddle to a 4 year old and will help customers with this. We moderate the group closely so if you see an AH saddle listed it should be what it says it is.

Thank you - I have sent a request for details of a fitter more local to me and it may be that someone could help me to find a lovely second hand saddle that will work beautifully for my youngster :)

palo1

Visit site
Im having a Solutions advisor out this morning for a wide shouldered dressage horse. Ive always had Albions in the past but they are not quite right for this horse. I will be trialing it for a period of time to give both of us a fair chance of getting use to it. Did you know they do interest free credit for up to 12 months? That might help you out financuialy.

Yes, I was aware of the finance options and that may be useful. I am just struggling to accept that a saddle for a nice young cob (unlikely to be used on anything else) could be over £2k...tis all!! I would not want to be in debt for a saddle if I am perfectly honest as I really find it hard to believe that for a shape of horse that has existed and been in ridden work for centuries, something so expensive is genuinely the only option. That is not to say I haven't got an open mind and I will enjoy looking and trying them out! :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
If it helps at all I've been using Solution Saddles now on and off for about 10 years.

I love the old type saddles, they're adjustable, comfortable and the horses really quite like them. They just look a bit odd.

The newer ones I just don't get on with very well. My mid aged Dressage was fine for the horse but I just couldn't get it balanced for me. And a couple of years ago I treated us to a new Pro Jump. Was very excited, spent alot on it. But absolutely hated it. Horse was fine. But it made me sore. It actually bruised me. I was assured it would wear in, but I couldn't put myself through it. I started to avoid riding because I didn't want to sit on it. Sold it on for a big loss.

I am currently back in my old Solution GP. Which is beautifully comfortable, and with different padding can be made to fit them all. I have periodically gone back to a treed saddle (in my heart of hearts I do prefer riding in them) but it's been incredibly useful to have when the treed saddle inevitably stops working. I've evented to BE100 in it and have hunted some big country. It never causes my horses any issues.

I'm currently considering selling up the treed saddles I have that aren't working and buying myself a second hand Jump and Dressage Solution in the old style, because I do always end up using it again.

palo1

Visit site
If it helps at all I've been using Solution Saddles now on and off for about 10 years.

I love the old type saddles, they're adjustable, comfortable and the horses really quite like them. They just look a bit odd.

The newer ones I just don't get on with very well. My mid aged Dressage was fine for the horse but I just couldn't get it balanced for me. And a couple of years ago I treated us to a new Pro Jump. Was very excited, spent alot on it. But absolutely hated it. Horse was fine. But it made me sore. It actually bruised me. I was assured it would wear in, but I couldn't put myself through it. I started to avoid riding because I didn't want to sit on it. Sold it on for a big loss.

I am currently back in my old Solution GP. Which is beautifully comfortable, and with different padding can be made to fit them all. I have periodically gone back to a treed saddle (in my heart of hearts I do prefer riding in them) but it's been incredibly useful to have when the treed saddle inevitably stops working. I've evented to BE100 in it and have hunted some big country. It never causes my horses any issues.

I'm currently considering selling up the treed saddles I have that aren't working and buying myself a second hand Jump and Dressage Solution in the old style, because I do always end up using it again.

That is really interesting and helpful thank you. :) I will ask the fitter how easy it might be to find an older style saddle if that looks as if it may work with both horse and budget. :) I had read that the older ones were a bit different.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
From personal experience Solution saddles don't work for every horse and not all problems show up within the two week trial period.