Second weekend of August plans!

Sheep

Visit site
Hi Sheep,
Yes I would buy unseen if it was good enough and competitively priced. I’m waiting on details for one in France too. BUT I’m being super fussy to warn you!

Sorry for indulgent thread derailing to everyone else ?

We are all enablers here!

I don’t know what exactly she has for atm but her place is called Gorsehill Sport Horses, she has a page on FB. Just doing my bit to support local(ish) business ?

Buy my boy’s full brother from her ? he’s a little older than you’re looking though, he’s 4yo and just backed I believe.

Good luck with your search. We will all be plaguing you for updates!

PSD

Visit site
day of showing on Sunday, been 4 years since I was last in the ring! Thankfully youngstock classes are early so will hopefully be done and on our way home before it gets warm.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Tomorrow we have dressage club, so excited, I love dressage club :cool:

Sunday I would like to ride, but we are expecting wild weather and lots of rain so may just be hiding inside painting walls instead.

Going to try and make to most of the nice weather while we have it, the winter weather is persisting into next week. Not complaining, we need more rain!

Have fun all :)

dorsetladette

Visit site
3 days off so long weekend for me. Yesterday we hacked quietly up the road. Wanted to do the same today but the animal farm opposite have a big car boot sale on so the traffic will be hideous. B1 isn't worried by it but the road is narrow and a bus route so adding us into the mix just isn't worth the hassle. 2 car boots a week until the end of September is going to be draining to say the least.
Saturday B1 is doing pony rides for 2 little people and Sunday I'll try and get a quick hack in if it's not to hot.

Off to do some schooling today while people sat in traffic watch on.

Have a good one everyone x

Northern

Visit site
Well it’s currently pouring rain and will continue all weekend. No riding, but if it weren’t freezing I would be rolling in the mud in celebration :D we need the rain.

A week of firsts for baby Bella. First time on the trailer, first time wearing front boots and first time with a saddle on yesterday ? didn’t take much notice of it, now we can go exploring all dressed up!

Have a good weekend all!

Attachments

• 017F03A6-6212-4800-8A05-A1F7209A34E7.jpeg
    017F03A6-6212-4800-8A05-A1F7209A34E7.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 3

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Well it’s currently pouring rain and will continue all weekend. No riding, but if it weren’t freezing I would be rolling in the mud in celebration :D we need the rain.

A week of firsts for baby Bella. First time on the trailer, first time wearing front boots and first time with a saddle on yesterday ? didn’t take much notice of it, now we can go exploring all dressed up!

Have a good weekend all!

So exciting when it rains!! I am waiting in anticipation for it to start here on Sunday and plan on watching the dam filling up :p

dorsetladette

Visit site
Slight change of plan. Neighbour cow was struggling to calf so went over to help (he's in his 80s) so ended up covered in baby juice this morning. 27 degrees at 11am so riding has been put off until this evening. Everyone has water and plenty of shade, covered in fly spray and left them alone. Currently sat in the garden watching the baby turkeys scratching about.

oldie48

Visit site
It's going to be a hot one but not as bad here as in the SE! Rose had Tues and Wed off, followed by another great hack on TROT round a 50 acre field on Thursday, she didn't put a foot wrong! Today she was schooled for me and sweated buckets although it's not that hot yet but it is very humid. Tomorrow we're doing a pole work session and she's having Sunday off as we are spending three days at AM Dressage (Mon-Wed) so looking forward to it as apart from the lessons it's such a treat to watch other clients' lessons! Thursday Rose is having her back checked and Friday is probably a quiet hack. Rose has put loads of muscle on her topline, shoulders, back and bum since coming back into work, she looks and feels great, both saddles have had to be widened! Have a great weekend, everyone and I hope you don't have it too hot!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It's going to be a hot one but not as bad here as in the SE! Rose had Tues and Wed off, followed by another great hack on TROT round a 50 acre field on Thursday, she didn't put a foot wrong! Today she was schooled for me and sweated buckets although it's not that hot yet but it is very humid. Tomorrow we're doing a pole work session and she's having Sunday off as we are spending three days at AM Dressage (Mon-Wed) so looking forward to it as apart from the lessons it's such a treat to watch other clients' lessons! Thursday Rose is having her back checked and Friday is probably a quiet hack. Rose has put loads of muscle on her topline, shoulders, back and bum since coming back into work, she looks and feels great, both saddles have had to be widened! Have a great weekend, everyone and I hope you don't have it too hot!
might see you there :D

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I went out in the horsebox....with a horse on board ???

Didn't dare post yesterday because Arts has been turning in with a sick note every time I had booked to go out, so I was fully expecting to bring a horse with a minor, but nonetheless play stopping, injury this morning. But no, after several paranoid checks over found her in perfect nick so off we went for a clinic. My timeslot was 12:45, and it was indoor so hot hot hot (though nowhere near the south east temps I don't think). We were sweaty when we got there, splashed ourselves off and then promptly got sweaty again within 5 mins of starting, but she worked her little socks off for 45 mins and still seemed bouncy and full of energy at the end. Love love love my mare.

Working on canter transitions to start, attempting to tame my wobbly legs so that they can actually be some use to lift her and keep her through. Then some medium trot and focus on consistency of contact and gradually ramping up so that we keep her round (rather than her losing her balance and throwing her legs around), and got some really impressive feeling steps ?. Finished with some bits of counter canter, which is no bother as long as I actually use my legs to ride and direct the horse.

So so good to be out again.

No photos of the clinic, so tried to take one of her when we got back, but she had her moose face on and then decided she needed to itch her tail ?. Epitome of elegance.

20200807_142856.jpg

20200807_142958.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Should have been dressaging with Dim Tim today. First time out in forever, OCD surgery, covid etc etc.

So he decides he will be naughty loading for his lesson on Wednesday, get over that and give him a little school yesterday, throws a tantrum on the ramp and takes a back shoe off.

Didn't really want to go anyway.................! Flipping horses. Could have substituted Ted The Twit but it is far too hot for him and his black bulk, so we lunched and watched Escape to the Country instead.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Thanks guys. Also discovered that she has a somewhat unexpected taste in men...she's in season and quite a flirty type, but couldn't have cared less about the very nice dressage warmblood gelding that we shared a school with for the session, but towards the end she spotted (at a distance) a small hairy black cob pony and it was like love at first sight. I became that person cantering around with a calling horse :rolleyes:. They passed at the school gate and exchanged loving expressions and were still calling to each other as we loaded up to leave. Daft mare.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Oh no! Tim that's not acceptable behaviour at all - parties is fun you know!

It is pretty normal behaviour for my lot. Alice is the best at it, we never tell her what is in her diary. She was due out at County level for the first time this year, bear in mind she is 9 now, she has had 4 seasons of not quite making it for various health reasons including trying to die in 2019. Got her measured in Feb and Covid arrived in March just before her first outing. China has nothing to do with Covid, we are convinced Adorable Alice invented it !

rosiesowner

Visit site
had some... 'help' with the poo picking this morning!! Off back to the yard soon to give chill a bath. hope everyone is managing to survive the heat! makes me wonder how we lived through summer 2018o_O
117320041_1601384610021180_7868083534592896817_o.jpg

j1ffy

Visit site
We had a great time at our lesson yesterday despite the heat! Danny was perfect, it really hammered home how much he’s come on in the last few months. No tension and he worked his socks off. The trainer, a list one judge, absolutely loved him. It’s lucky his owner is on holiday as I think she’d have cried if she’d heard the gushing comments!

I think the trainer nearly cried with how often she had to tell me to shorten my reins, my old demon has returned!! I think I’ll have to get some continental reins again...

Here’s a little clip:

Sheep

Visit site
Super day out at dressage for me!
He was so with me throughout and worked his nonexistent socks off - finished 4th in prelim on 70.4%. Not sure where I finished in the novice but scored 65.63% so very pleased with that. Home now for bbq and a bottle of Prosecco!!!
7A537264-BAE6-4672-BE30-F51CD9384330.jpeg

GinaGeo

Visit site
Glad you made it out DD! Shame to hear about those whose horses have come up with excuses! It sounds familiar and is why I have too many ?

We attended a Socially Distanced Hunt Amble today. Well organised, Very civilised and looking forward to going again. Mickey was on Nanny duty, with mum’s small ginger pony having his first outing. It was a super first time out for a hunting newbie. Sufficiently not exciting and he was as good as gold.

Mickey was a little perturbed at the lack of hounds, but he found some jumps to have a play over so that made his afternoon.

After deciding it would be a good outing for the four year old we returned home to find him sulking with blood all down his back leg and a nice gash. He’s not the best patient anyway, but it wasn’t pretty and he’s now accessorised by a drain, staples and a dapper bandage which I will be re-doing throughout the week ?

Guess he won’t be going next weekend then ?

Jesting aside I think we’ve been quite lucky to avoid anything too serious. It does mean a course of antibiotics. So now I’m panicking about his shoddy hind gut and his hives again. Packing him full of Pre and Probiotics and hoping we don’t free fall back to where we were last year. Please cross your fingers for us ?

Attachments

• B5A336CB-3C04-428D-8A96-3D5328CDE350.jpeg
    B5A336CB-3C04-428D-8A96-3D5328CDE350.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 3

Wheels

Visit site
Lovely video jiffy and great pic sheep, sounds like lots of worthwhile trips out so far.

M is doing really well, he is bouncing back and his topline is coming back too which is nice to see.

I misjudged our hacking time a bit this morning, was aiming for 45 mins but my route actually took an hour and he was tired at the end bless him. Will keep to an out and back route for now rather than circular so I make sure we dont go longer than we should. In hand pole work tomorrow as well as per rob Jackson's instructions so the hack will be a bit shorter anyway.

scats

Visit site
Lovely trip out today with Millie. 66.84% in the prelim and managed to come 5th out of 18. I threw away a couple of marks for overshooting the centre line (twice haha!) and then Millie chucked a couple away with a fantastic leap over a patch of sunlight on the ground in right canter and some spooking at the judge in left canter. Grinned my way round though, it was just fantastic to be back out!

Attachments

• 31A8D890-5E2E-4D75-BD53-2C7FA706F5FC.jpeg
    31A8D890-5E2E-4D75-BD53-2C7FA706F5FC.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 13
  • CC2FE6BF-4CB5-4927-B460-99B47672CCF2.jpeg
    CC2FE6BF-4CB5-4927-B460-99B47672CCF2.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 12

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh god GG! That sounds a bit melodramatic. Fingers firmly crossed for a hiccup-free recovery.

If it's any comfort on the gut front, Arts has a spectacularly useless digestive system when she was younger, that spiralled out of control after she fell ill as a 3yo, and there was a period of about 8 months when I was pretty much convinced we wouldn't get her through to adulthood. But she did come out of the other side - once I got her management right it helped, but to a large extent I think she just grew out of it gradually as her overall health improved. Haven't had a loose poo, gassy colic, or any other poorly gut indicators since she turned 5. So hopefully yours might be the same ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
We had a good day today, it was SOOOOO hot yesterday nothing got done, so this morning I was up early to ride Kira before the sun got too strong. Had a good ride just recapping what we did last week, getting into the passage from walk so we dealt with the napping before asking for passage, then trying to keep the tempo up and chasing after that feeling of her coming up under the saddle. Good pony.

then off to arena hire with a friend, hadn't ridden Darcy since last weekend for a variety of reasons and was expecting explosions, but he was super sweet and just toddled around doing his work :) Nothing very exciting but really good attitude and seemed quite comfortable in his new turtle top, not as much chomping as normal and only a little bit of yawping in his half pass practice :p

Relaxed ears :)

117319217_3515178765160275_7735100167022391647_o.jpg

Bernster

Visit site
We didn’t melt! Went xc for the first time this year. Berwick farm which is a new venue for us. Showered him before we went and put a little fan in the horse area aimed at his face. He seemed to like it.

We had a lovely day pottering about. Didn’t do too much but thankfully it wasn’t as hot or sticky as I thought it was going to be. Lots of rest and shade during sunny patches. We still managed to do a few sections and then ended going round a field of mini jumps solo. Very good practice as he did his backward thinking thing at the start so I missed out the first two fences just getting him to go forward but then he suddenly switched on, picked up canter and we bounded around the rest of the field ?‍♀️ Need to work on that.

j1ffy

Visit site
Another good day out with Danny! Once again he was much more relaxed and focused away from home. I didn’t get the connection quite as well as we managed in the lesson and he was a little tight in his back, but I’m delighted with him. He broke into canter on the right trot circle and had a spook at the judge in left canter, but otherwise had most 7s for a 66% score and 2/4 overall (I was the only Gold rider so we got a red frillie!).

Having been nervous to get on him post-lockdown I’m so impressed with how much he’s matured. I can’t wait to get out again ?

Sheep

Visit site
Another super day for us!
Took the big horse to some local sj as we haven’t actually done very much of it at all since we got him, and he can be a wee bit green with it. Got a friend to ride as a) she is better at sj than we are and b) her horse is off games atm so it was good for her to get out and ride!
He was a wee bit spooky in the warm up but gave her a super ride for double clears in both 80s and 90s - wanted to keep it low pressure for first outing. Delighted with them!

Kat

Visit site
We went xc today! I am so pleased.

Neither of us are terribly brave about jumping but we did a bit of xc last summer and had a lovely time so the plan was to do some (teeeny tiny) hunter trials and one day events. We managed one arena eventing in March the weekend before lock down then stopped jumping due to lockdown.

Since lockdown eased we have jumped twice in lessons and been to one sj clinic. I have found it really difficult to motivate myself to get out and have made excuse after excuse. But I pulled my finger out and booked in for xc this morning.

It was pretty low key, the venue are just doing schooling rounds due to covid making full competitions tricky.

This was our first time at the venue all xc and arena eventing has previously been done at a local college so we are quite used to their fences and the course which is quite compact. This venue could not be more different, much more of a traditional hunter trial course. Only one combination, but lots of fences in hedgerows, hills and long galloping stretches.

I nearly finished myself off walking the course, it was bloody miles!

It was a good job it was just a schooling round as we would have racked up a cricket score L decided that she needed to inspect the fences before jumping them so quite a few stops.

She did jump everything second (or for one fence third) time though and she was jumping well just a bit too busy gawping at things and checking where other horses were.

Interestingly several of the ones I was worried about she jumped nicely first time, so maybe I just need to ride more strongly.

L didn't get the memo about it not being against the clock, she wanted to crack on at a good hunting pace, so we overtook two groups ahead of us, despite walking a bit!

The husband met us at the end with his camera so hopefully there is a photo of us over the last. In fact I jumped it twice to make sure and then he sent me back to do the middle sized one instead! So we finished on a good note, with L still full of beans.

Really enjoyed it so I am going to book the next one and try to jump everything first time, and a few more of the bigger ones too!