Self preservation

EventingMum

Visit site
The trouble here is none of us saw the incident and the explanation is not 100% clear. I have only witnessed a blind panic once that resulted in going through fences etc once in a ridden horse. It was a new livery who was very inexperienced with a young, unschooled pony. She was riding in a fenced outdoor arena and tried to canter whilst being very unbalanced, the pony reacted and the rider screamed and screamed and screamed (you get the picture), the rider fell off whilst continuing to scream and the pony ran/half jumped/crashed through the wooden arena fence and then through two more wire fences eventually stopping when her reins became tangled around a fence post on another fence. Obviously the pony was very traumatised and took a while to calm down. Long story short, I bought the pony as the owner decided to sell and once her cuts had healed, went back to basics with her as these had obviously been overlooked. She turned out to be amazing, a stalwart riding school pony, loved by clients who learned so much on her over the 15 years we had her and never once panicked again.

Michen

Visit site
The trouble here is none of us saw the incident and the explanation is not 100% clear. I have only witnessed a blind panic once that resulted in going through fences etc once in a ridden horse. It was a new livery who was very inexperienced with a young, unschooled pony. She was riding in a fenced outdoor arena and tried to canter whilst being very unbalanced, the pony reacted and the rider screamed and screamed and screamed (you get the picture), the rider fell off whilst continuing to scream and the pony ran/half jumped/crashed through the wooden arena fence and then through two more wire fences eventually stopping when her reins became tangled around a fence post on another fence. Obviously the pony was very traumatised and took a while to calm down. Long story short, I bought the pony as the owner decided to sell and once her cuts had healed, went back to basics with her as these had obviously been overlooked. She turned out to be amazing, a stalwart riding school pony, loved by clients who learned so much on her over the 15 years we had her and never once panicked again.

I think that’s different though, pony did attempt to jump the fence and wire fencing isn’t exactly a huge solid object like a car to run through- plenty of horses run through fencing just in the field pissing around. Running into a car however...

EventingMum

Visit site
I think that’s different though, pony did attempt to jump the fence and wire fencing isn’t exactly a huge solid object like a car to run through- plenty of horses run through fencing just in the field pissing around. Running into a car however...
To be honest, she only half jumped after running into it and feeling resistance from the timber fence, she was definitely running blindly, completely panicked.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would say so and I agreed with you early in the thread but then the story changed and so did my opinion.

Then you're responding to the information given and not making critical sounding surmises about other stuff which we don't know, so you still agree.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site

I agree.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Isn't the most sensible approach, until we have information to the contrary, to respond as if the facts are as they have been given?

And if you would care to look back over the posts you will see I refrained from commenting until OP started to drip feed further information, contradicting her original statement. I therefore based my first reply on the alternative version of events that she supplied and my second reply on her continued alternative description of events.

When posters continue to slowly chip away at their original story, I am afraid for me I rapidly begin to dismiss the validity of their original post.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
How do we know horse did not put brakes on and skid into car or had no where to vere off to eg walled narrow track. Would have thought a horse hitting a car at a flat out gallop would have either had a rotational or be so mashed up she would have the vet wanting to p t s already and bring sued by the driver as I would assume the car was a write off.

ycbm

Visit site
How do we know horse did not put brakes on and skid into car or had no where to vere off to eg walled narrow track. Would have thought a horse hitting a car at a flat out gallop would have either had a rotational or be so mashed up she would have the vet wanting to p t s already and bring sued by the driver as I would assume the car was a write off.

Because it says so in the first post.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Because it says so in the first post.
No it says she ran through 2 fences and into a parked car. So it makes you assume the horse hits a a flat out pace. It would have a huge bearing on opinion as I have seen a car hit by a horse that tried to anchor up and as it was on tarmac it did a huge slide into the car.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There is, from that description, for me, no possible excuse for a horse to collide with a parked car.

Well none of us know the set-up but from the description of the horse going through 2 fences it could have been that the parked car was near to the 2nd fence and that the horse was turning and lost its footing so slid into the car - who knows? And as the story has changed somewhat, I have decided that I don't really care. OP will do whatever s/he feels is best for her/him, without spending any more on vet bills than necessary.

I bet if every poster on the thread were to draw a map of what happened, there would be a different set-up drawn in each one:eek:

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Ok so you are misunderstanding the timeline of events.
1. Horse naps to field buddy. Doesn't go forward. After kicking her she broncs
2. Gallops over to field buddy (This was not a bolt)
3. When she gets to field buddy she puts head down to eat and reins between her legs.
4. She bolts and breaks reins
5. Runs through a fence and u turns back into fiels
6. Bolts to other end of field and goes through wooden fence then bolts off the property
But the significant event appears to disappeared by this post ?

HazuraJane

Visit site
For some of the people replying, the OP passes the smell test. For others, the changing story means OP doesn't pass the smell test. OP seems to have checked out.

Reactions: TPO

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Well none of us know the set-up but from the description of the horse going through 2 fences it could have been that the parked car was near to the 2nd fence and that the horse was turning and lost its footing so slid into the car - who knows? And as the story has changed somewhat, I have decided that I don't really care. OP will do whatever s/he feels is best for her/him, without spending any more on vet bills than necessary.

I bet if every poster on the thread were to draw a map of what happened, there would be a different set-up drawn in each one:eek:

The OP wants to PTS. Vet and others have said not to. I'm assuming that by posting on an internet forum having given a limited description, they were hoping to get support for PTS.

From the start all I could think was that I would want an awful lot more detail on the horse's background, the rider's ability, the location and the incident before I agreed with the OP's decision to give up on her.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
As much as it pains me to say it, if an owner can't be bothered to look after an injured animal with good grace and empathy and most of all kindness and understanding then the animal may be better off being PTS. Don't forget that animal does not have anyone else to depend on/ phone to see if it's okay or fight it's battles. It's on its own and at the mercy of its owners. Good on the vet if they refuse to PTS, but what happens when bill is up to limit and owner says they can't it won't pay ? The vet cannot force then to have the treatment or give up the animal, they can only appeal to the owner. Not many folk would take on an injured horse and pay out on vets bills, especially if owner can claim for its loss. Not sure what happens with insurance if limit is exceeded and owner won't pay with regards to a pay out after p TS.

It may already be too late, I hope it isn't and perhaps owner would allow her to be taken off her hands ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Storm20 - being new to the forum do you know you can send and receive private messages. These should remain private between the sender and receiver - althought some folks are asses and think it's clever to regurgitate contents on a public forum.
That aside, There is an awful lot of very kind and helpful people on here, although we do argue an awful lot, ,so please use this function as we may be able to find/broker a solution.
GW x

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
I feel really sorry for this poor mare. I agree that being pts is better then being passed on irresponsibly or neglected but I hope that this senario does not have to end this way.
It seems from the OP's posts that they are looking for justification/support on their inclination to pts.
The OP does not state what type of youngster she has had experience of in the past. I personally would be very cautious of giving a relatively newly backed youngster a 'good kick' especially if it was a TB/WB/ sports horse type in an unfamiliar environment. There are better ways of giving confidence to a young horse than applying (possibly unempathetic) aids. It is asking for an extreme response IMO and I have experience of backing and riding away competition youngsters.
I have found that young horses often have one moment where they do something completely unexpected or seemingly 'mad' and utterly out of character but it is IME a one off and not something which is repeated if a sensible approach is taken to ensuring that all the basics are in place.
I hope this young horse gets a second chance. I've had a few panicky youngsters in my time and they generally grow out of it with age and appriopriate training.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
One of the posts where people love to discuss how wicked the OP is
I don't think anyone has said that the OP is wicked or taken relish in discussing it. However, people are allowed to disagree with an OP, we don't have to just blindly agree.

Storm20

New User
Visit site
Sorry everyone for ignoring he post.
Maybe I haven't explained the situation very well - i rushed the first post and should of put more information. I have made my decision based on professional advice. But thank you all for your advice.

DressageCob

Visit site
Sorry everyone for ignoring he post.
Maybe I haven't explained the situation very well - i rushed the first post and should of put more information. I have made my decision based on professional advice. But thank you all for your advice.
What decision did you reach in the end?