Should I hit the panic button?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My mare was on her own for 3 weeks before she foaled, as there was not room for another horse at the field that was suitable for the purpose. It wasn't what I'd have chosen if there had been alternatives, but she was visibly ready for some peace and had been distancing herself from the other mares she lived with for a while.

Hope you aren't hanging on too long, I was a zombie by the time mine popped and it took ages before i could sleep longer than 40 mins at a time after doing weeks of night checks :rolleyes:

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'm excited to meet it, and I'll be happier once it's safely here.

Been scanning the web for wifi wildlife cameras that transmit remotely, but so far, the only ones we've found that we could get today are like £400. I don't know anyone who has one.

milliepops

Visit site
reolink go on amazon prime? on offer at the mo. I have 2 and been pleased with them. be another night watching but might give you some peace of mind tomorrow?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Reolink go are great, No mains power or wifi needeed. Runs of a data sim for £4 a month and can be charged by solar panel or mains.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'm trying to figure out how the SIM part works, and my head is a bit fuzzy. Does the SIM come with the camera? Do I need to take out another data plan? Can it be linked to my (or OH's... he like 100GB per month with Virgin... I have 50GB with Vodafone) existing plans?

meleeka

Visit site
I'm trying to figure out how the SIM part works, and my head is a bit fuzzy. Does the SIM come with the camera? Do I need to take out another data plan? Can it be linked to my (or OH's... he like 100GB per month with Virgin... I have 50GB with Vodafone) existing plans?
my Vodafone V- SIM came with mine, but a friends didn’t come with one. They cost £5 to buy and when you connect to the camera, Vodafone just add £4pm to your current plan account. It couldn’t be easier really.

The sim and SD card go inside the camera so all you need to do is charge it, download the app, connect it and put it up somewhere.

Sandstone1

Visit site
You get a vodaphone sim with it which you have to register, you will have a rolling £4 a month contract which you can cancel anytime. If you watch from home it will use your wifi but if you watch out and about it will use your mobile data. You can link 5 other phones to it, it also works on my lap top and kindle. You have to download the reolink app. Its really easy to set up. Even I managed it and Im rubbish with technology. Reolink customer service are really helpful too. It comes with pretty clear instuctions. I wouldnt want to be without mine now.

PurBee

Visit site
That looks useful.

Re-chargeable battery - how long does 1 full charge last? How long does it take to charge to full?
Camera will have to be dismounted to charge it, unless you can put any rechargeable batteries in it, for continuous use?

Finally see on the reolink site its an inbuilt battery so will have to take down the camera to recharge, then remount. Not great for foaling watch unless 1 charge lasts weeks. Id get 2 cameras then...1 in use, 1 fully charged ready to replace drained battery of camera in use. Just change the sim over.

Sandstone1

Visit site
That looks useful.

Re-chargeable battery - how long does 1 full charge last? How long does it take to charge to full?
Camera will have to be dismounted to charge it, unless you can put any rechargeable batteries in it, for continuous use?
That is the one I have, its easy to dismount as just screws in to the mount, a charge lasts me about a week but would depend how often you use it. You can also get a solar panel to charge it up. It really is simple to set up and use. you dont have to use it on the mount either. You can just sit it anywhere safe ie on a shelf in stable. It is better on the mount be takes seconds to unscrew.

milliepops

Visit site
Finally see on the reolink site its an inbuilt battery so will have to take down the camera to recharge, then remount. Not great for foaling watch unless 1 charge lasts weeks. Id get 2 cameras then...1 in use, 1 fully charged ready to replace drained battery of camera in use. Just change the sim over.
You can get solar panels for them which make them maintenance free.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I can get one that pans and one that doesn't. I don't know if the one that doesn't will see the whole field. How wide is the angle?

PurBee

Visit site
You can get solar panels for them which make them maintenance free.

yeah the solar is useful...in a sunny place!

SP’s about as useful as a chocolate teapot in cloudy locations....(she says having run out of power from my large 200watt panel during summer in a cloudy climate.)

Depending on wattage of camera (should be low) depends on effectiveness of persistent cloudy scottish climate to receive enough drip charge to power the cam. Reolink dont say what wattage their 30 quid tiny panel is or whether its mono or polycrystalline solar cells -( one is far more effective than the other in cloudy conditions)

Hmmm id be looking for a camera that can take rechargeable removeable batteries that you exchange with new and take home the batteries to charge while keeping the camera on 24/7 wifi hookup.

Caol Ila

Visit site
2.4G wifi means it needs a wifi connection. I think YO is using a dongle for her internet, so that probably wouldn't work. We really need a 3/4G one.

milliepops

Visit site
I've been using 2 solar 4g reolinks for 15 months without an issue so the puny SPs do work ?‍♀️

The pan/tilt one's weren't out yet when I bought mine. I can cover most of my field with one standard camera but I'd have had a P/T if it had been available as I had to fence off the corners to avoid blind spots.