Should i pay the bill?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Under the Animal Welfare Act the owner could actually be prosecuted for leaving the Animal to suffer. The vets and yourself (as he is with you) have a duty of care to this horse...speak yo the vets and see if you have options with this given that he is suffering. I'd hate to be in your shoes OP, I hate watching animals suffer :(

AmieeT

Visit site
Under the Animal Welfare Act the owner could actually be prosecuted for leaving the Animal to suffer. The vets and yourself (as he is with you) have a duty of care to this horse...speak yo the vets and see if you have options with this given that he is suffering. I'd hate to be in your shoes OP, I hate watching animals suffer :(

I don't think OP would be prosecuted given the messages she has sent to the owner. But I totally agree (and have posted likewise) that something should be done.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have to be honest, in the vast majority of cases (save for freak accidents etc) if you're meeting BEVA guidelines you've most likely failed the horse.

Exactly, it is quite scary that someone seems to be suggesting that!

OP I think it is awful she is making you wait until the 5th, though if she is going to just throw horse in a field it isn't going to make much difference to him, all you can do is keep your vet informed really and if he deteriorates act on that. Does she know which vet she will be using? I am wondering whether it might be an idea if yours gave them the heads up of a potentially slightly delusional client heading their way! I am not surprised when you say she has only owned him 2 years, and obviously some of that time then spent with yourself anyway.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Send the horse back , don't pay for the X-ray you are not legally obliged to pay for bills once horse is returned... owners issue

It's attitude like this as to why I wouldn't loan my horses out, so if a loan horse you had got kicked in the field you would quite happily hand it back to the owner instead off taking responability for the animal in your care. ( not talking about your case op just in general here) my friend had the same problem, her loan pony got laminitis so instead off taking responsibility she handed it back to the owner, not good enough.

meleeka

Visit site
It's attitude like this as to why I wouldn't loan my horses out, so if a loan horse you had got kicked in the field you would quite happily hand it back to the owner instead off taking responability for the animal in your care. ( not talking about your case op just in general here) my friend had the same problem, her loan pony got laminitis so instead off taking responsibility she handed it back to the owner, not good enough.
The loaner has taken veterinary advice and was dealing with it! The owner wants X-rays which the vet isn't recommending so it's got to be down to them. The loaner is t just returning the horse because it has vets bills, she's returning it because she thinks it should be pts (because her vet says so) and the owner disagrees.

D66

Visit site
Not very cherished by the owner. If she disagrees with your vet she should be getting her own vet out to do the x-rays in a timely fashion and should remove him from your premises.

Veegeeay

Visit site
Not very cherished by the owner. If she disagrees with your vet she should be getting her own vet out to do the x-rays in a timely fashion and should remove him from your premises.

If the vet had told me he had a good chance of recovery within say 3-4 months I would not even consider sending him back until he was totally fixed. Laminitis would not be an issue, a kick can be dealt this as long as there is a good prognosis. I have had chiropractors, saddlers and thermal imagers out to this horse (not related to the injury, simply as maintenance) together with my own to ensure he is cared for in the best possible way.

I agree with you completely, if it were my horse and I disagreed with the vet I would move heaven and earth to get my horse home so I could at least see for myself.

Veegeeay

Visit site
Having said that... I think someone said above, isn't it the point of a loan pony that if it doesn't suit your needs anymore for any reason it can just go home, likewise if the owner decides their circumstances have changed and they want the pony back.

Not that this is the case. Horse is happy with us except his devastating field injury.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I would possibly loan mine, but if this one was mine it would already be dead. It's not 'attitudes like this' - it's half the point of loaning in the first place, not to have to take responsibility for long term issues.

If your friend was unhappy with what happened, why didn't her contract say it couldn't happen? It was in her own control.

Archangel

Visit site
Forgetting about money for a moment

There is a difference of opinion (loaner says horse worse, owner says better) therefore vet should attend again for follow up visit with both owner and loaner present for the sake of the horse especially as the future circumstance for the horse will change - is the horse fit to be moved? Ongoing management of injury? Prescription for bute?

Having had two stifle injuries - star fracture with stitches and torn stifle ligament I would not move the horse without a vet check. I take it vet has ruled out torn ligament - this presented like a broken leg initially but was diagnosed without x-ray.

As to who pays... if xrays are now found to be needed then I think it falls to the loaner as comes under umbrella of original problem, this follow up visit falls to the owner as regardless of end date of contract it really is down to them now and in the case of a difference of opinion between loaner and owner the responsibility lies with the owner.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

and the flip side is that a loaner can take away the horse at any time-or give notice to, no matter how much time/money etc they've put into the horse. Loans and shares have to be treated as business deals-imle thats the only way they work and if either party can't deal with that, they shouldnt be doing it.

pansymouse

Visit site
Forgetting about money for a moment

There is a difference of opinion (loaner says horse worse, owner says better) therefore vet should attend again for follow up visit with both owner and loaner present for the sake of the horse especially as the future circumstance for the horse will change - is the horse fit to be moved? Ongoing management of injury? Prescription for bute?

Having had two stifle injuries - star fracture with stitches and torn stifle ligament I would not move the horse without a vet check. I take it vet has ruled out torn ligament - this presented like a broken leg initially but was diagnosed without x-ray.

As to who pays... if xrays are now found to be needed then I think it falls to the loaner as comes under umbrella of original problem, this follow up visit falls to the owner as regardless of end date of contract it really is down to them now and in the case of a difference of opinion between loaner and owner the responsibility lies with the owner.

I think this is a very sensible and fair approach.

southerncomfort

Visit site

Agree with this. My old girl tore the ligaments in her shoulder. I've never seen a horse in so much pain. Vet said she'd be on heavy duty painkillers for life. When she worsened overnight I decided not to put her through any more and had her PTS.