SO SHY IS GOING TO A RETIREMENT HOME ?

honetpot

Visit site
I offered to take a friend horse for free over the summer while she came to terms that he was probably best euthanised for various reasons, and I would have sorted that. She couldn't face it and rehomed him to a well known charity, who euthanised him two weeks later, and didn't tell her, and she was distraught.
I would worry that you will be far away, and what happens would be someone else choice. My old pony was euthanised whilst out on loan in September, he was only local, but it was an emergency and I was two hours away. I spoke to the vet and as the owner I decided to have PTS, he was thirty. I am still sad I was not there, I had owned since he was three, and the children did PC on him.
I would have him euthanised at home, and leave with a sad but clear heart, then there can not be any if only's.

Ratface

Visit site
Owning a horse is a great privilege. Mine is now 30, semi-retired and in great shape. My YO, who knows him backwards, having bred him and known him all his life, knows that if he damages himself by hooning round the field, or finds him colicking, to phone the vets first and me second. She agrees with me that pts is the last kindness we can give our beloved animals, and should be offered without delay at the end. I hope that I will be able to be with him at the end, as I have always been for all my animals.
There is no way that I would leave him and his welfare out of my absolute control.
He's my horse of a lifetime and owes me nothing. When it happens, I will be heartbroken, but relieved that he is safe from pain. He will be buried with his relatives (and the dogs he has played with, the cows he was wary of and the sheep he quite liked) in the far field.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Shys mum, I haven't seen any nasty posts on this thread. Only concern for you and the future of Shy.

It must be a very hard time for you :(

Please speak to the vet and see if they can directly invoice you for future vet bills of Shy, this way not only will you know for certain he is receiving the correct care. There can be no doubt on what your hard earned money is being spent on. To give a stranger a lump sum of money does seem very risky, and I am worried you have not completely thought it through due to being so emotionally distressed at the prospect of losing him.

Jenko109

Visit site
There might be one person who is genuine and can be trusted, but there will be twenty more that either cant or something changes in their life. How is it worth that risk?

To rehome a horse who is sweating trying to breathe doesn't sit right with me either. In fact, I think I would offer to take the horse and then use the cash to quietly PTS to end his suffering if he's as bad as described previously.

I know someone who did exactly this under pretty much the same circumstances, although the money gifted with the pony was only sufficient to pay for the associated euthanasia costs and not a sizeable amount as is the case with this pony.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Oh ShysMum, what a rotten situation to be in :(
I can completely understand you grabbing this opportunity with both hands as it could seem like an ideal solution but please, for Shys sake and your own sanity, reconsider your options carefully. PTS is an awful thing to have to do but there are times when it's in the best interests of the Horse. I understand the guilt this decision causes but just think how much worse it would be to never truly be 100% sure of his fate xx

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
... but I need Pepsi for my mental health, and he wouldn't cope in a herd.

My pets are my reason to get out of bed in the morning, I'd be a complete wreck if I didn't have them. Whatever you do with Shy, I hope it works out well, and I hope your travel home with Pepsi, and settling him in at his new place, goes as smoothly as possible.

{{{Hugs}}}

SO1

Visit site
I keep thinking about your situation and how difficult it must be.

I like others think it is so risky to sign him over to someone else so you have no control over his future when he has a serious medical condition.

Is this the only way the lady would accept him. Would she not take him and you pay a monthly livery fee and set up an account with the vets with a lump sum deposited there so that she knows the money is there for his treatment.

Will you be able to afford to visit say every 4 or 5 months to make sure he is ok or at least arrange for a vet to check up on him occasionally until you are sure he is settled and happy.

If you are giving her a large sum of money for vets bills and he ends up being PTS within a few weeks of being there will she return unused to funds to you?

If you don't want to use a nebuliser on him would you be happy if she decides to go down this route of treatment which she may do if he has a very bad flare up.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Tried to send a PM to @Shysmum , but I wasn't able to. I'm not sure she's visited HHO since her last post on this thread, so who knows, perhaps she'll never see this message, but I wanted to say that I was thinking of her.

Haven't reread the thread, but if I recall it correctly, she mentioned something about moving within a few weeks, but perhaps that was just Shy. Either way, I hope that Shy isn't struggling wherever he is, and that this difficult time for Shysmum, especially since it coincides with the already often somewhat stressful Christmas, and New Years Eve period of the year, isn't too unbearable for her.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
JUST A QUICK UPDATE !

The lady who has taken on Shy is a close friend of the vet. She has taken in two of his ponies, gathered as injured souls from his travels. I have visited, and Shy is blissfully happy with companion, living out full time, which he couldn't do here.

. I know I made the right decision for him. PTS was a wrong one.I can visit whenever I want, and am getting a monthly video. If needs be, my vet or I will act. I trust my vet 100%, its him who set this up.

Pepsi,33, my shetland has come into his own, after the initial shock. We go for walks daily, and he has new friends waiting in the UK.

SO yes, it's worked out well for both my beloved ponies.

Last edited:

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Retirement home , he can breathe living out , and my vet is two miles away. Shy and I are very, very lucky! And yes, he needs to lose a few kilos, which he will do living out ! ? He is on lower calories too, so will get back his normal bodyweight., the result of not being able to exercise, due to COPD. received_1689367781491438.jpeg

Last edited:

Getbackboys

Visit site
so happy for the three of you and hubby ofcourse makes four, i hope it all works out, everyone here incl myself have been very worried about the “what if’s”, fingers crossed he lives a long and happy life, might have to watch his waist line.

re your reply to Palindrome, the meatman doesnt care if its got a broken wind, but thankfully that wont happen and he will be cared for until the end

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
so happy for the three of you and hubby ofcourse makes four, i hope it all works out, everyone here incl myself have been very worried about the “what if’s”, fingers crossed he lives a long and happy life, might have to watch his waist line.

re your reply to Palindrome, the meatman doesnt care if its got a broken wind, but thankfully that wont happen and he will be cared for until the end
He's very fat, because he can't be exercised ?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
So happy to read that Shy is doing so well, even though it's not easy for you to say Au revoir. At least you still have Pepsi, hope the travel back to UK is uneventful.
Thankyou. An extremely difficult time, not least separating Shy and Pepsi ? I never thought in a million years they'd be separated, and its heartbreaking. Fortunately Pepsi, 33, is coping really well with lots of attention.

Last edited:

Getbackboys

Visit site
but may need strip grazing as being overweight wont help his breathing. i hope Carla will do this in summer, mine also have waist line issues but i can manage it as i am there daily

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
but may need strip grazing as being overweight wont help his breathing. i hope Carla will do this in summer, mine also have waist line issues but i can manage it as i am there daily
Wh
I'm glad he has settled and Pepsi is coping OK. I hope your journey goes smoothly!
Thankyou! I've been distraught, I even asked the vet how PTS would be carried out at my home. But he's doing brilliantly!