So this is Sadie

smolmaus

Visit site
She's lovely and I'm glad she's settling in

What's her background?
She was a voluntary surrender. Wouldn't be right to give too many details as the person involved did do the right thing in the end and I don't think was ever bad to her on purpose (benign neglect?) but she was stabled for a very extended period of time (multiple years) with no turnout or direct contact with other horses. She loves people and is very trusting, the only significant long term issue (hopefully) will be building up her strength VERY slowly.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Ah thats just lovely
She already looks less worried on sunday than friday :)
So are you going to focus on groundwork for the winter and do all the prep stuff for the backing?
If you need any rec's for backing in NI let me know.
She looks so sweet

smolmaus

Visit site
Ah thats just lovely
She already looks less worried on sunday than friday :)
So are you going to focus on groundwork for the winter and do all the prep stuff for the backing?
If you need any rec's for backing in NI let me know.
She looks so sweet
Yes that's the plan! I'm in absolutely no rush so she will have all the time she needs just doing little bits and pieces. There are a lot of very experienced ladies on the yard who have said they can help with backing when the time comes, one is starting a friends youngster at the minute and doing a fab job with him and there are several other babies who will also be doing little bits of work to be started in the spring so plenty of opportunity for me to observe (and look elsewhere if required, ty for the kind offer ❤)

sportsmansB

Visit site
Yes that's the plan! I'm in absolutely no rush so she will have all the time she needs just doing little bits and pieces. There are a lot of very experienced ladies on the yard who have said they can help with backing when the time comes, one is starting a friends youngster at the minute and doing a fab job with him and there are several other babies who will also be doing little bits of work to be started in the spring so plenty of opportunity for me to observe (and look elsewhere if required, ty for the kind offer ❤)

Ah thats brilliant that you have a stable somewhere with lots of experienced people around who are used to green / young ones. By the time the spring comes she'll trust you and have all the basics there and hopefully the backing part will be almost a formality. You can lead her round the lanes in the meantime and keep the step count up :)

ArklePig

Visit site
Smolmaus! I had half an eye out for this thread and I missed it, and I must admit I just did a wee stalk to find it. She is PERFECT. Big fluffy baby, I am obsessed with her. I was going to say I hope you're very happy together but she already looks chilled out in your latest post. Good luck!

smolmaus

Visit site
Smolmaus! I had half an eye out for this thread and I missed it, and I must admit I just did a wee stalk to find it. She is PERFECT. Big fluffy baby, I am obsessed with her. I was going to say I hope you're very happy together but she already looks chilled out in your latest post. Good luck!
She is so settled! She is the easiest little pony. To be fair we have done very little so far except a few exploratory walks around the yard and a little walk around the arena but she just investigates everything I show her first time, walked over some ground poles without even a snort which she has definitely never seen before in her life, traffic cones, wheely bins, drains in the yard, every weird shadow since it's dark ALL THE TIME NOW. I am absolutely delighted with her.

She gets wormed tomorrow if the post man comes on time so she may yet get some points on her record ? Oh and she turned off her own stable light on me last night while I was putting her bed down so I was left in the pitch black and had to grope around her bum to get to the door. No points for that though, it was very funny.

smolmaus

Visit site
She outdid herself this evening as well. Put her out for a play in the arena with her buddy which was very sweet, until he refused to be caught again, tanked off and did laps as a fire breathing dragon trailing the lunge line and ran right up her bum twice before we could get out the gate. She stood right beside me, not calm but not pulling away either and barely moved when I had to chase him with the lead rope.

Extra carrots for Sadie and buddy got the legs run off him till he behaved and then hosed for good measure ?

smolmaus

Visit site
OyQC76El.jpeg

We have attempted lunging in walk and she understands the question going left but she does NOT understand the question going right. Reverse Zoolander? But she tries very hard which is all I want and I'm going to ask the lady who was lunging her at the sanctuary to see how I'm not asking properly ?

Zuzan

Visit site
We have attempted lunging in walk and she understands the question going left but she does NOT understand the question going right. Reverse Zoolander? But she tries very hard which is all I want and I'm going to ask the lady who was lunging her at the sanctuary to see how I'm not asking properly ?

I had an epiphany moment when I realised a difficulty we were having on one rein in groundwork was actually me being very left handed.. it was my co-ordination on the right rein and not my horse at all!!! lol.

smolmaus

Visit site
I had an epiphany moment when I realised a difficulty we were having on one rein in groundwork was actually me being very left handed.. it was my co-ordination on the right rein and not my horse at all!!! lol.
That could very well be part of it! She keeps trying to correct me when I'm on her "wrong" side and I also feel awkward doing it so both of us have to do homework!

smolmaus

Visit site
A very good friend was taking some portraits today and groomed Sadie for me (a VERY good friend) and then took some beautiful photos and I had to post them somewhere ?
x8SFifl.jpeg

TsncfJg.jpeg

Have you ever seen such a loveable little face ? I'm so annoyed I still don't have her nameplate up! But these are still ones for the mantlepiece.

Her halo is still shining so bright its blinding btw.

Lois Lame

Visit site
A very good friend was taking some portraits today and groomed Sadie for me (a VERY good friend) and then took some beautiful photos and I had to post them somewhere ?
x8SFifl.jpeg

TsncfJg.jpeg

Have you ever seen such a loveable little face ? I'm so annoyed I still don't have her nameplate up! But these are still ones for the mantlepiece.

Her halo is still shining so bright its blinding btw.

This lower one is good enough for a painting, maybe in pastel. I'm new to pastel (and other paint, who am I kidding) but maybe one day I'll give it a try.

smolmaus

Visit site
In the interest of the new year I have decided to DO THINGS with Sadiemoo so she now has her very own cheap-as-chips bridle and a donated bit from the sanctuary. As soon as she realised she could still eat with the bit in she stopped caring very quickly. When I tried to do her feet I was getting nudged in the bum "The bit is in my mouth without treats also being present, this is unacceptable" ?

We are also doing a bit of free lunging which she understands much better when there is no rope involved and learning our voice commands. Arena time is still mostly playtime (which I am very much okay with) but in between bucking and trying to get me to chase her she is getting it!

Does anyone know if you can get those instagram ring lights for horses, filming anything in this stable is just depressing!!