So what has British Eventing done wrong?

ihatework

Visit site
You're talking serious levels of elitism if you only cater for people who have no need to work due to wealth or sponsorship, or earn their money by competing, or have a job that can be done sat in the living of a lorry for several weeks at a time.

Yes and no.
It’s elitism in its finest to go abroad for that.
But it could be accessible to non-elite if done in the UK.

It wouldn’t need to be weeks on end. 2-3 weeks maybe, with 3-4 events over that timeframe.

To make it viable in areas such as East Anglia (for example) they would need to be assured of sufficient entries and to do that a core of entries might be those who base there for the duration - yes those are the elite. But it wouldn’t prevent the non-elite for coming for the day/weekend just like they would for regular events.

You could run the masters, some YEH classes, PT, Badminton GR pre-run.

I’m not quite sure the infrastructure would quite work (yet), but the concept could be explored. Assuming the venues had interest, if adequately supported by BE and competitors. And that’s not a given!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Yes and no.
It’s elitism in its finest to go abroad for that.

It wouldn’t need to be weeks on end. 2-3 weeks maybe, with 3-4 events over that timeframe.

To make it viable in areas such as East Anglia (for example) they would need to be assured of sufficient entries and to do that a core of entries might be those who base there for the duration - yes those are the elite. But it wouldn’t prevent the non-elite for coming for the day/weekend just like they would for regular events.

You could run the masters, some YEH classes, PT, Badminton GR pre-run.

I’m not quite sure the infrastructure would quite work (yet), but the concept could be explored. Assuming the venues had interest, if adequately supported by BE and competitors. And that’s not a given!

yeah, i mean the point would be to make something more accessible than having to go to Europe. And also to reduce mileage getting driven in trucks too. I think there's an interesting concept to explore, but it is a shame that none of the venues with masses of all-weather arena space are also the ones with good reliable winter going.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
the catch is I can only WFH from within the UK, sadly :rolleyes:
And I deal with the ones who are dumb enough to not work from UK!! Had a really stupid one the other day who went from Belfast to Scotland and it got pinged because the ferry server came up as Sweden.

SOS

Visit site
You're talking serious levels of elitism if you only cater for people who have no need to work due to wealth or sponsorship, or earn their money by competing, or have a job that can be done sat in the living of a lorry for several weeks at a time.

Yup.

Not everyone has fancy lorries with a living, some of us only have trailers and trucks. I wouldn’t think living out of a tent for several weeks is particularly fun.

I wouldn’t be able to afford “holiday livery” and hold a stable on a livery yard. Unless we are also assuming everyone keeps them at home so having them away doesn’t cost anything.

I could WFH anywhere but I would have to take a few weeks off my second (and third) jobs which pay for my training.

If I won a few thousand and had nothing to spend it on, I’d love to go away and spend a few weeks eventing but realistically it’s not achievable for the average horse owner. Most people want reliable events, they can attend on a weekend around their day to day life, within 2 hours driving distance. UA seems to be the only way to achieve that now.

EventingMum

Visit site
I'm sure I read that back in the distant past that lots of pros would take a bunch of horses up to Scotland for the height of the summer where ground was hard further south, and go and stay and compete in Scotland for July/August.
In the fairly recent past, maybe 15 years ago, we had Eglington and Auckleck running on consecutive weekends with Intermediate and Advanced classes so lots of people came up and stayed for both. As well we had Scone and Burgie for intermediates plus Aske and Witton Castle just over the border now no longer running. Sadly now there seem to be only four running at novice level 2 x Forgandenny, Kirriemuir and Hopetoun and none above that. Apart from the weather causing cancellations, there now seems to be little incentive to progress up the levels in Scotland unless you have the time and money to travel extensively. Even at the lower levels I think losing Blair will have a knock on effect, many people's main ambition was to ride there and when the Scottish Grassroots was added to the schedule it became a possibly and something to aim for.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Yup.

Not everyone has fancy lorries with a living, some of us only have trailers and trucks. I wouldn’t think living out of a tent for several weeks is particularly fun.

I wouldn’t be able to afford “holiday livery” and hold a stable on a livery yard. Unless we are also assuming everyone keeps them at home so having them away doesn’t cost anything.

I could WFH anywhere but I would have to take a few weeks off my second (and third) jobs which pay for my training.

If I won a few thousand and had nothing to spend it on, I’d love to go away and spend a few weeks eventing but realistically it’s not achievable for the average horse owner. Most people want reliable events, they can attend on a weekend around their day to day life, within 2 hours driving distance. UA seems to be the only way to achieve that now.

Yup, I dont think theres many people who could or would just walk away from day to day life for a month to play ponies.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
They currently do though, it's just that they have to go to Montelibretti in Italy to do it...
I think I know of maybe 3 amateurs who would go on the old Portuguese tour but it was super expensive and would only be going usually as often based with a pro who was going already. I don’t know any who went over for Italy.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

How?

2-3 weeks in a megabucks value lorry fit to live in for that long or a 2-3 week stay in a hotel.
2-3 weeks at competition rates for stabling
2-3 weeks with a job that will allow you never to attend the office or meet with a customer face to face

Doesn't sound very inclusive to me.

ihatework

Visit site
How?

2-3 weeks in a megabucks value lorry fit to live in for that long or a 2-3 week stay in a hotel.
2-3 weeks at competition rates for stabling
2-3 weeks with a job that will allow you never to attend the office or meet with a customer face to face

Doesn't sound very inclusive to me.

Duh!
If it’s in the UK then they don’t have to stay the duration. I did say that in my post.
If there is a core of ‘elite’ that were to make it viable to run then the rest of us could just come for whatever bit of it we fancied.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Duh!
If it’s in the UK then they don’t have to stay the duration. I did say that in my post.
If there is a core of ‘elite’ that were to make it viable to run then the rest of us could just come for whatever bit of it we fancied.
Exactly - and if it helped events that aren't centrally located to run then it helps secure event in locations for grassroots amateurs who don't happen to be based next to Aston le Walls

DressageCob

Visit site
If the competitions were up in Scotland as suggested, and it's a couple per week, I don't think many people would be able to travel up and down from anywhere south of Brum, so they would end up having to stay for the duration. If they didn't it's a few hundred quid on fuel , stabling en route etc.

If what you're suggesting is reorganising the calendar so that a few events relatively close to each other are organised to be close in time so people can stay, then that may make sense (although it will still be prohibitive for some to do that). It wouldn't appeal to the people who like having a few weeks between events at least, but I'm sure others would like it.

ycbm

Visit site
But why spoil a good not-at-all-invested moan about elitism 😜
Duh!

I was responding to this comment you made.

Yes and no.
It’s elitism in its finest to go abroad for that. [2-3 weeks at a coordinated set of events]

Sorry, struggling to see being able to leave home to event for 2-3 weeks as anything but for the elite.

ihatework

Visit site
I was responding to this comment you made.

Sorry, struggling to see being able to leave home to event for 2-3 weeks as anything but for the elite.

You have deliberately partly quoted.
Something I have seen you get annoyed about when done to you.

I am going to sit on my hands, take a deep breath and choose not to say to you what I want to type.

1 week off UI. Should have known better.

Squeak

Visit site
To be fair, I've always been surprised by the amount of people that manage to go on the sunshine tours and an Eventing 'tour' sounds amazing. I think with remote working people may be able to work from an event during the week if they wanted to do two weekends or something.

If it was done correctly it would be the most incredible experience, even for grassroot amateurs, which would help to justify the costs of it. Top class sport at the weekend if you have people doing their badminton prep (as well as grassroots - maybe some BS and BD during the week or some demos and clinics etc. could make it like a boot camp to get you going at the beginning of the year.

ETA you could maybe put the BE arena eventing and ACE championships on there too.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I remember seeing a very funny youtube clip of a woman at the Sunshine Tour. I can;t remembr the exact details but it was along the lines of a woman squealing 'she's come 6th', with a man off camera muttering 'boody brilliant - that rosette cost me £8000!

BUT I have a friend, definitely not rich, considering it for her daughter as an alternative to a family holiday aborad. They would all go and stay for a holiday. All horse sport is expensive to varying degrees but sometimes if also depends on what you are willing to prioritize. I think it sounds fab and I'd try and find a way to be part of it.

ycbm

Visit site
Apropos of absolutely nothing.... This is my 10,000 post. (Takes a bow). So what happens next? Do I get a medal? Admittamce into the HHO Hall of Over-enthusiastic Posters?

You get to replace "well known member" below your avatar with any words you choose (within forum rules! ).

Congratulations 🍾 🎊 👏 💐 🥳

humblepie

Visit site
Probably also depend on family commitments but lots of people take the week off work for stay away shows like Equifest, BSPS champs etc. I’ve done 6 days stay away for Aintree in the past. Had to be holiday although these days could do a WFH but prefer holiday as can chill. It does sound something worth being explored by the powers that be. Even if someone couldn’t do a long period it could work for some staying a short period others longer.

teapot

Visit site
To be fair, I've always been surprised by the amount of people that manage to go on the sunshine tours and an Eventing 'tour' sounds amazing. I think with remote working people may be able to work from an event during the week if they wanted to do two weekends or something.

If it was done correctly it would be the most incredible experience, even for grassroot amateurs, which would help to justify the costs of it. Top class sport at the weekend if you have people doing their badminton prep (as well as grassroots - maybe some BS and BD during the week or some demos and clinics etc. could make it like a boot camp to get you going at the beginning of the year.

ETA you could maybe put the BE arena eventing and ACE championships on there too.

What's possibly so frustrating is the UK has venues that can do that too. The number of times I've seen Wellington's vast outdoor standing empty on weekdays is beyond me. What a waste of an investment, especially when arenas need maintaining regardless of whether they're in use or not.

dominobrown

Visit site
I'm not eventing this year simply because of cost... I can't afford it, I have to work all the blooming time to afford the horses, which would be amazing event horses...
So like a lot of people have the horse power but the cost of joining, entering, competing, travelling and training is just not justifiable and to add to that with all the cancellations and less events its even further to travel and takes up even more time as there is less and less nearby, spiralling costs further.

The 'slightly less rain' tour is an idea, and I think we all (and BE!) need to throw around ideas about to find something that sticks (completely unrealistic and unaffordable for me, though maybe different areas could do different tours... I/e Scotland in high summer with less baked ground than the south etc).

I do believe that Eventing has had its 'hey-day' and is a dying sport that will be gone is 10/15 years completely. Unless something can be done and I think we need to capture what made is special in the past while having out the box ideas and re-thinks for the future.

Its a prefect storm... bad weather, crippling health and safety and insurance costs, changes in land management and estate use, changes in the ethics of horse riding and competing, the cost of fuel and travel and not to forget that the majority of the UK is struggling to finance even a Freddo.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Forgandenny now gone as well 👀 ascott under wychwood as well 👀

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
That’s hendersyde gone as well due to the weather. No reschedule.

That’s hendersyde gone as well due to the weather. No reschedule.

Not a BE event this year - think was running unaff. And the Cotswold cup event at Waverton is also off this weekend.

Norton Disney BE had run Friday and guess is still going with the rest of the weekend...