Soggy weekend plans

JFTDWS

Visit site
Ah well, I hacked the mare yesterday and today without drama, other than a couple of killer pheasants, and highlands have been alternating hacking and archery, so it's been a better weekend than I was expecting on Friday at least! Could do with getting Skye out to arena hire this week before I have an archery clinic next weekend - need to make sure she's on an even keel enough to take, or I'll have to take a pony instead! Also, I want to jump and our field is a bit wet right now :p

Daemon being useful yesterday:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Went to meet a lady with a heavy horse who recently had a bad fall and can't show for a while...been offered the chance to show her rather handsome boy at a couple of local heavy shows in July.

Now regretting selling my tweed in a huff at Christmas and need to replace...

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ooo, that's exciting news SF - you totally deserve to be able to get back out prancing with a heavy! :D

Nothing really doing here, but on the plus side my horses are fabulous (yes I'm biased). Arty's trot work is starting to become much more consistent and she's even starting to get the idea of working through in the canter. We've recently been having a fantastic masterson practitioner coming to us, who also does a bit of aromatherapy (yes, I was sceptical too), and it's really helped with opening the door to getting her to thinking about concentration and focus. She's somewhat scatty and a bit of a wrecking ball by nature, so calm focus is always a running objective 😁

Chippers1

Visit site
Sounds like everyone has had good weekends, I managed a ride in the 'scariest' field on Saturday without too much drama - even when a digger appeared along the hedge line! There's a small xc step in there which is really useful to have a play on, so it's great that he was feeling relaxed enough to go in there. We have always had issues with steps but he was cantering up and down it like he'd been doing it forever.
Then a 3 hour hack yesterday which again he was very well behaved, this time it was a very low flying light plane coming into land at the airfield nearby, we were very close to it and he didn't run off, just stood on the spot worrying a bit. Very different to how he was last week! This hack also involves a steep winding hill that we trotted up, he didn't break a sweat whereas the other two were puffing, nice to see how fit he is!

sportsmansB

Visit site
We got a great school around the event course from the day before on Sunday morning. Weirdly, it was pouring at home on Saturday but at the venue which was less than 30 miles away, there was no rain at all, so the ground was perfect
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
NSEA JwS (Jumping with Style) report: Katie entered the 80/85 and Dolly jumped double clear, bang on the optimum time for both phases and with 6 style points to finish on 6 penalty points. She came 9th as an individual in a MASSIVE class in the 80. Winner finished on 4 so it was very tight at the top. Dolly then did her first 90/95cm class as we wanted her for the team 90/95. She was clear SJ and XC but after the final XC jump they put in an up to height skinny upright as the last fence and she rolled a pole for 4 faults. Fence did its job in catching out the riders who could not quickly adjust from XC style back to a showjumping canter! Super thrilled with them both and they are off to Keysoe in November for the National Championships Plate in both classes. What an awesome partnership this is becoming.

Jenny did very well too. Clear SJ in 80 and 90 and 4 jumping faults in each in the XC phase - though sat nav error in the 90 added to their pens and time pens. They are also through to the Champs in JwS having already qualified SJ. But Izzy is too big. Way too big. She is either sitting on the cantle or has her legs over the knee roll and we have already done all we can saddle-wise to give her more room. And Champs is still 5 months away and she is growing like a weed at the moment. I can't see how she can keep her that long and I am worried her back will suffer with Izzy on the cantle. Especially as saddle is just past last rib already. Time to face up to the inevitable.....:(

Fiona

Visit site
Aww AE that's not good about Izzy.... Poor you x x

I'm glad he's settling down again chippers..

SportsmanB I was so glad the event got to run in the dry, there was a real east/west split on Saturday...

Fionn had a day off yesterday as we were at Tetrathlon, so we did some gridwork this morning, or more accurately some double bounces. He was very chilled out though, unusual for him when jumping is involved.

Fiona

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Sounds like most have an excellent weekends (though sad at the thought of outgrowing ponies :confused:).

We just hacked, but we did get the old lady out too so she wasn't left alone (not alone, but what Doodle considers alone :rolleyes:).
64350725_1045344485651411_5070781442133327872_n.jpg

64395823_1045344798984713_2387714289990369280_n.jpg

64214315_1045344842318042_2456378675180863488_n.jpg

The-Bookworm

Visit site
NSEA JwS (Jumping with Style) report: Katie entered the 80/85 and Dolly jumped double clear, bang on the optimum time for both phases and with 6 style points to finish on 6 penalty points. She came 9th as an individual in a MASSIVE class in the 80. Winner finished on 4 so it was very tight at the top. Dolly then did her first 90/95cm class as we wanted her for the team 90/95. She was clear SJ and XC but after the final XC jump they put in an up to height skinny upright as the last fence and she rolled a pole for 4 faults. Fence did its job in catching out the riders who could not quickly adjust from XC style back to a showjumping canter! Super thrilled with them both and they are off to Keysoe in November for the National Championships Plate in both classes. What an awesome partnership this is becoming.

Jenny did very well too. Clear SJ in 80 and 90 and 4 jumping faults in each in the XC phase - though sat nav error in the 90 added to their pens and time pens. They are also through to the Champs in JwS having already qualified SJ. But Izzy is too big. Way too big. She is either sitting on the cantle or has her legs over the knee roll and we have already done all we can saddle-wise to give her more room. And Champs is still 5 months away and she is growing like a weed at the moment. I can't see how she can keep her that long and I am worried her back will suffer with Izzy on the cantle. Especially as saddle is just past last rib already. Time to face up to the inevitable.....:(
You could stop feeding the child. :D

My saddle was outgrown like that though and it was uncomfortable for me to not have enough room. I got a saddle with a lower wider cantle with the bars in a different place. The difference was huge.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I know you are joking but actually she is not eating properly! And I think part of that is trying to stay light for Jenny. :( Which is absurd because it is her thigh length that is the problem. We have already eked out a few more months on her by buying a new forward cut saddle. But we have advertised Jenny locally now and there is a lot of interest in her so hopefully she will stay near by.

Pippity

Visit site
I know you are joking but actually she is not eating properly! And I think part of that is trying to stay light for Jenny. :( Which is absurd because it is her thigh length that is the problem. We have already eked out a few more months on her by buying a new forward cut saddle. But we have advertised Jenny locally now and there is a lot of interest in her so hopefully she will stay near by.

From the look of her, she weighs about as much as my little finger, so it's heartbreaking if she is worried about her weight. Jenny's such a fabulous little pony that I'm sure you'll have your choice of homes for her. I hope you're able to find a bigger version of her for Izzy.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Yes she is tiny. I measured her up for some Deniro boots for her as they come in all sizes: standard adult for calf length and size 7.5 feet but she is XXXS calf width. So basically average or above height/feet but with stick like legs. So we need a nice, tall, leggy 15.2 for her now! A super-sized Jenny or Dolly would do very nicely!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
last minute last weekend plans... didn't mention it sooner as I wasn't sure it was all going to fall into place. Anyway, it did, so picked up new project this morning :) ex racehorse, hopefully going to enjoy being a dressage horse. For now he just needs to get used to his furious welsh neighbour and have a bit of tlc.

65226276_2567574493254045_1936249197808320512_n.jpg

Fiona

Visit site
MP you're in last weeks weekend thread....

Do a general post, he's gorgeous. Has Salty been turned out now with the oldies?

Fiona

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
MP you're in last weeks weekend thread....

Do a general post, he's gorgeous. Has Salty been turned out now with the oldies?

Fiona
Oh yeah! I got lost :p I will do a post when I know a bit more about him ;) Yep she's going to be a field potato now :) I will miss her on the yard but she's only a 5 min walk from home so we'll still get to have scratches and zoomies.