Sorry for this...but if racing is cruel than what is this...

Tia

Visit site
Sorry but those horses are most definitely not feral horses! It is nothing more than a stunt show.

I love rodeos - I go to every single one around my area. Wonderful looking horses who love their job...some have been touring for 10 years or more and the bronco's in particular are highly prized muscle-machines.

Guessing a lot of you haven't actually been to a rodeo.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Onto its backlegs!!!

I have watched the damn thing in slow mo 4 times now, he neither uses his head nor his front legs.

I have no idea whats wrong tho, his head is folded round and his front legs are sticking out, but he is stepping back onto his hind legs. At one point the pally is standing on his rope, but I can't see why it effects him after the pally has gone!

hayliana

Visit site
im sure competitive rodeos can be a real example of horsemanship and care of a prized animal, and i agree these horses could well be part of a stunt show, but the aggression that is inflicted upon these animals is NOT entertaining. i havent been to a rodeo, but then i havent been to a concentration camp and i know they're wrong!

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but the aggression that is inflicted upon these animals is NOT entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ] What aggression?? I saw no aggression whatsoever from any person on this video. Two horses unfortunately collided and were injured - that is not aggression - that is an unfortunate accident.

[ QUOTE ]
i havent been to a rodeo, but then i havent been to a concentration camp and i know they're wrong!

[/ QUOTE ] Please.........what a totally ridiculous comment to make. You cannot possibly suggest they are the same.

hayliana

Visit site
well i thought it was ridiculous to say that just by having not been to one, no one can form such an opinion. and IN MY OPINION roping a horse so it crashes to the ground, having it in a headlock, causing it to be so frightened it is kicking out and desperate to get away, is aggressive behaviour.

lordflynn

Visit site
yes I have-although it was an Australian one. horses were in good condition certainly but couldnt find it entertaining or laudable I'm afraid.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I agree how is wrestling a horse to the ground fun, entertaining and good horsemanship? I went to a rodeo in arizona but it was put on by the stud i was at and it was in no way cruel, it didnt involve hurting or distressing horses in the slightest and the horses were most definately not wrestled to the ground. Those horses are quite clearly in distress IMO

Tia

Visit site
If that is the case how can you possibly know what goes on at a rodeo? How can you possibly understand why cowboys do the things they do? These are working horses and working people who participate in rodeos - they ride for a living, probably more hours in a week than most of these "pet-horse" owners ride in a year - they raise most of the world's beef - they breed some of the best bloodstock in the world.....

I reiterate; I did not see any aggressive behaviour. I saw regular cowboy practices. If Roping is not acceptable, what is in your opinion?

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
In America I watched a lot of the bull rodeos on television. Those beasts were looked after way better than I am! They showed them in the fields and they were the biggest most handsome lumps of steak I have ever seen. Some of them are in the rodeo for many years and get treated like human athletes. I have never seen a horse rodeo so I am in no position to comment. I do agree the horses on the video look very well cared for to be ferral animals - the bay one is gleaming and fat! When they are galloping they are not behaving like newly backed horses either. The accident is unpleasant but both horses lift their heads suggesting a broken neck is unlikely - it would be interesting to see another few seconds of the video.

Tia

Visit site
Well when you come to visit me I will take you to all the rodeos around me - they are on most weekends, for the whole weekend, in the summer and are pretty fantastic to watch. I particularly like the Brahma Bulls - scary creatures!!

All the horses and bulls are kept together in the arena overnight and you can go around them all and pat them afterwards. Quite superb animals.

hayliana

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If that is the case how can you possibly know what goes on at a rodeo?

[/ QUOTE ]

forgive me if im wrong but i thought we were commenting on this particular video, im not trying to claim anything about all rodeos everywhere

[ QUOTE ]
How can you possibly understand why cowboys do the things they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought these were stunt performers? are they even proper cowboys?

[ QUOTE ]
they raise most of the world's beef

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure what on earth that has to do with this video, if the people in this vid are those that raise the worlds beef this doesnt exclude them from treating animals with kindness

[ QUOTE ]
they breed some of the best bloodstock in the world.....

[/ QUOTE ]

and i dont think they would treat those like in this video

[ QUOTE ]
I reiterate; I did not see any aggressive behaviour. I saw regular cowboy practices. If Roping is not acceptable, what is in your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

then i'll agree to disagree, we have different opinions on what counts as aggressive behaviour, ive pointed out what i disliked. i think everything i saw on the video was just totally unnecessary.

Tia

Visit site
I think you can pretty much be assured that they are real cowboys performing the stunts they undertake daily in their chosen profession.

For some bizarre reason I thought we were actually talking about rodeos
crazy.gif
. Can't think why.

Ahh so by your reasoning, because this video happened to show a couple of horses having an accident, that makes this cruel and in turn proves rodeos to be cruel.

What raising horses and cattle has to do with this video is that every single rider featured in this video is a cowboy and this is a rodeo. Cowboys raise cattle and horses.....

Yes I think we will have to agree to disagree as there definitely seems to be confusion over tactics. Head-locking and heeling are all regular practice - used to ensure the safety of the animal being caught.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Would this roping be the same practise which often snaps calves necks as they race away from the cowboys and their mounts?

The same roping that snaps legs and cracks skulls as the ropes tighten and the animals crash into the ground?

Nope, not a single sign of aggression there.

I know how much work has been put into making rodeos into the sort of thing you are singing the praises of. They are not the true rodeos.

Cowboys are painted as something they aren't and haven't been. I studied them once, and it has instinctivly put my back up against them.

Sooty

Visit site
Personally, I think there is far more cruelty in the indiscriminate breeding of racehorses, resulting in a huge surplus, than in rodeo riding. Then there is the issue of racing horses before they're developed. In all walks of life there will be good, caring owners and bad, exploitative ones. The rather hysterical commentary on this vidoe made out it was far more dramatic that it actually was, but I really don't think what is on that video can be classed as more cruel than racing. Yes, horses in racing have a choice - race, or end up as dog meat.

hayliana

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For some bizarre reason I thought we were actually talking about rodeos
crazy.gif
. Can't think why.

Ahh so by your reasoning, because this video happened to show a couple of horses having an accident, that makes this cruel and in turn proves all rodeos to be cruel

[/ QUOTE ]

i have just said that ive been talking about this particular practise on this particular video!!!!! OTHERS have disagreed with all rodeo practise, please aim those comments at them.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I think we will have to agree to disagree as there definitely seems to be confusion over tactics. Head-locking and heeling are all regular practice - used to ensure the safety of the animal being caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

then what a shame that IN THIS INSTANCE they couldnt ensure the safety of the animals involved in the accident. and accidents will happen while there are frightened crazed horses galloping around. perhaps im too far removed from the cowboy lifestyle to understand, and i certainly wouldnt call myself an expert, but if you did some of those things on a livery yard then no doubt someone would be straight on the phone to the ILPH!

Tia

Visit site
Sorry but I do not have any interest in anything that PETA says.....some have classed them as nothing less than terrorists.

No rodeo I have ever been to, and I've been to quite a few, has shown any cruelty. Animals who end up with broken bones or serious injury do not make their owners any money - therefore the care given is generally second to none.