Spring Bank Hol weekend plans

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Loving this weather.

What a weekend of 2 halves. Amazing horse yesterday leading our pairs team start to finish for a 2nd place! Only had a small moment at the ditch where the front feet thought about stopping, but the back feet were still moving so he wasnt left with much of a choice but to keep going.

However, our quiet sunday morning stretchy hack turned into my worst nightmare when I found out he really HATES horse drawn vehicles and we ended up galloping up the road. Hopefully no damage, gave him a good hose of the legs when we got back (seemingly in one bit!)

And the happy herd moved to their summer field so will be feeling fat and happy tomorrow.

Chippers1

Visit site
Had a great round today :) despite for some reason wearing my tweed jacket in the heat ?
Buzz felt great and was flying round and I didn't feel nervous which was a change! We did a lovely clear, only one slip up where he almost stopped at a bright pink butterfly jump but we did it from a standstill so was fine ?
There were 78(!!) in the class so I didn't stick around to see the results but I don't think we'll place as there were lots of whizzy ponies!

TheMule

Visit site
Loving this weather!
Jumped dramatic ginger this morning and she was super which has restored my faith in her a bit. Xc training on Tuesday to try to formulate some plans.
Haylage was cut today (so early!) and looks good so ?the sun keeps shining. And I will gain the most perfect canter field once it's baled

6684450B-A87A-4597-BB4A-FE54D973A661.jpeg
7FEC2C0C-A3D8-4199-8C18-26073A48F2B0.jpeg

scats

Visit site
Decided to shelve the farm ride idea today and just have a chill out day before my lesson tomorrow.
I took the dogs out to the shore, popped to the local feed store, did a bit of housework and then had a couple of hours in the garden with the dogs. They had their paddling pool and I relaxed on the swinging hammock. Heaven!
Then I popped over the road to my friends house for a couple of hours for a catch up, before finishing the day off with an evening hack.
I really needed today, I feel so much better.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
My achievement for the weekend was having a go at long reining! Henry was the test subject and was very unconvinced at first but we had success after he realised that the reins were not going to murder him. It was really hard to coordinate but we walked and trotted a little bit around that place and navigated some poles. I need some refinement but I think it'll be very useful.

We also whet and watched some eventing and I cannot wait to get back out there. Though it was very, very wet and I was quite pleased not to be riding this weekend.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Yesterday was awful. I’ve always had trouble at this show ground with another horse I used to ride. It’s a proper local show with lots of people and it’s right next to a busy a road. We got there at 11am as we didn’t know when my classes would start, but I wasn’t on until 2.30! So pony was stood around for ages. When we got there, walking into the field and through the crowd, he spooked at so much and didn’t even want to go into the field. He warmed up sweetly, which I’m happy with. When we go in, there’s a huge trailer at the side of the arena with graffiti and stuff on it and then a load of jump wings next to it. Well he spooked at all of that. Fence one had a horrible line to it, so we stopped at that. We also stopped at fence 3 (right in front of the spectators), 4 (a big white gate filler in front of the trailer), 5 (the first part of the double which was two poles and then a big gap underneath). We also started napping at fence 8, which was right by the gate and right by where the other horses were waiting for their round. I was then meant to go into the 80cm but changed to go back into the 70cm HC. Still wasn’t great. The course was massive for 70cm (was probably more like 80cm at some jumps) and a lot of people were having problems. But I felt so disheartened. I genuinely thought about selling him because I didn’t feel good enough. We’ve had two disheartening competitions in a row. I just want one nice clear round so that my aim of eventing at some point next year can actually happen.

I would say that busy showgrounds aren’t for him and not take him to any again and just concentrate on unaffiliated show jumping, but surely he needs to get used to it to event?

j1ffy

Visit site
Lovely weekend here so far. Hacked on Friday then schooled Saturday, and Danny remembered the ‘self-carriage’ discussion from our Wednesday lesson and felt fab.

I also rode Chilli in the arena on Saturday. He’d not been ridden for three weeks but I hopped straight on with no issues - such a sensible 4yo! We were just working on steering and moving away from the leg, mostly in walk and a little trot. All very nice and only a couple of moments of confusion! Then yesterday we hacked with a friend and again, he was fab. I absolutely adore him!

Danny and I are off to AMD this afternoon for a couple of lessons. Can’t wait!

Asha

Visit site
Lovely weekend here so far. Hacked on Friday then schooled Saturday, and Danny remembered the ‘self-carriage’ discussion from our Wednesday lesson and felt fab.

I also rode Chilli in the arena on Saturday. He’d not been ridden for three weeks but I hopped straight on with no issues - such a sensible 4yo! We were just working on steering and moving away from the leg, mostly in walk and a little trot. All very nice and only a couple of moments of confusion! Then yesterday we hacked with a friend and again, he was fab. I absolutely adore him!

Danny and I are off to AMD this afternoon for a couple of lessons. Can’t wait!
Your 4yo sounds amazing! Love your reports about him
Yesterday was awful. I’ve always had trouble at this show ground with another horse I used to ride. It’s a proper local show with lots of people and it’s right next to a busy a road. We got there at 11am as we didn’t know when my classes would start, but I wasn’t on until 2.30! So pony was stood around for ages. When we got there, walking into the field and through the crowd, he spooked at so much and didn’t even want to go into the field. He warmed up sweetly, which I’m happy with. When we go in, there’s a huge trailer at the side of the arena with graffiti and stuff on it and then a load of jump wings next to it. Well he spooked at all of that. Fence one had a horrible line to it, so we stopped at that. We also stopped at fence 3 (right in front of the spectators), 4 (a big white gate filler in front of the trailer), 5 (the first part of the double which was two poles and then a big gap underneath). We also started napping at fence 8, which was right by the gate and right by where the other horses were waiting for their round. I was then meant to go into the 80cm but changed to go back into the 70cm HC. Still wasn’t great. The course was massive for 70cm (was probably more like 80cm at some jumps) and a lot of people were having problems. But I felt so disheartened. I genuinely thought about selling him because I didn’t feel good enough. We’ve had two disheartening competitions in a row. I just want one nice clear round so that my aim of eventing at some point next year can actually happen.

I would say that busy showgrounds aren’t for him and not take him to any again and just concentrate on unaffiliated show jumping, but surely he needs to get used to it to event?

Could you get your instructor to take him out for you ?

Roxylola

Visit site
.I would say that busy showgrounds aren’t for him and not take him to any again and just concentrate on unaffiliated show jumping, but surely he needs to get used to it to event?
Yes and no, obviously he does need to be able to focus on his job when it's busy but you can deal with one gremlin at once. I'd look to jump a smaller round rather than feeling you should be jumping bigger - build confidence by asking easy questions with obvious answers.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Asha - I did think of that and will mention it to her when I have my lesson next week. Only issue is she’s ridden him but never jumped him and seems a bit against jumping him because he’s so pingy!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
J_sarahd I agree with RL. I took my mare Amber to Weston Lawns early on in our competing career. It totally blew her brains! It was horrendous. But over time she gained confidence and actually ended up pretty chilled in most situations. Busy showgrounds are very intimidating. So much to see/hear. If the course was also up to height then that is just one more stressor. You can think of stress as cumulative: A bit for travelling., A bit for heing somewhere new. A bit for every potential trigger: tannoys, flags etc. A bit for a busy atmosphere. A bit for your competition nerves. A bit for the actual performance stress. He had all that all in one go so it is not surprising he was distracted, spooky, unconfident and wanted the security of the other horses and was napping back to them.

Some venues do very quiet midweek shows. Try and look around at what is localish to you and add in new experiences one at a time.

J_sarahd

Visit site
It’s just annoying because this is the first time he’s been like this. He was fine at the ODE at Eland - a bit spooky, tense but rideable. Even at the last place we went to, it was just one fence he took a dislike to. I’ll definitely try and get him out again soon to get our confidence back. My only problem is I don’t have my own transport so rely on hiring or the goodness of people offering to take me.

Roxylola

Visit site
Sounds like he's just building a bit of anxiety, spooky and tense but rideable, then taking exception to one fence, then multiples. I'd definitely look to dial back a bit for a few outings

J_sarahd

Visit site
Sounds like he's just building a bit of anxiety, spooky and tense but rideable, then taking exception to one fence, then multiples. I'd definitely look to dial back a bit for a few outings

So would you say 60/65cm for our next few show jumping rounds?

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
So after Skye's funny turn on Wednesday, she did a complete 360 on the Thursday and by the Friday was her normal self, if not slightly better than normal. Vet hadn't written off still competing and left it to how I thought she felt. My coach came out to teach me, and said just put her in the lorry and go to the Petplans - its only overnight and as I don't let her graze away from home anyway it should all be ok. She is also the most chilled traveller / stay away-er so that wasn't something to worry about.

Prelim Bronze for us, P19. The fact there was only one test was nervy, so I decided that I was just grateful to have been able to come and that I would just cruise round the test with no pressure on either of us. Warm up was two circles of trot, a hack round the show ground, and two circles of trot and canter each. She was lovely and quiet, I didn't have her in front of my leg and she had one bad canter transition - but it was an overall nice test and I was pleased. One judge had us at 67%, on at 63%, and one at 58% which was really disheartening, I've had better marks in tests where she has had complete meltdowns. Average score of nearly 63% seen us in the top ten, taking 8th. Marking looked fairly consistent across the board with that one judge marking very low. Riding wise I was tipping forward again!!!!

Us in the arena walk in the morning
452-AEC2-E-FCA3-4-B01-948-A-77-AD2604-E909.jpg

Sunbathing before the test
8-D018-B7-D-A401-4-F02-B82-B-81-E0349-E5-A87.jpg

Test
40-F0-FB35-1826-4-EFE-9052-F4908-DB4-F43-A.jpg

88-F31858-4-AEA-4-F45-BF6-E-CE860-DD498-B7.jpg

Rosette & Plaque
C00-A4-D39-DFF7-4388-AB7-A-F8-BE5-EC06-C87.jpg

Ready for home
39-B790-AA-6900-4-B56-BB36-D41329-CC6-A44.jpg

Home on Saturday night, only for her to have a full bath Sunday morning ahead of a wee trip to the Oakden's place at Dunbog to take part in a very cool Sunday activity. We were 'modelling' the new Apt Cavalier clothing range - I was given the new red riding leggings and grey short sleeved base layer. Nice to be invited as a rider who's far from a size 8! We did some individual flat shots, some side by side schooling shots with another rider, and then got to play over the arena XC fences / the water. She was flying and gave everyone such a laugh at her squealing and taking off through the water. Two months ago I would never have jumped, let alone go myself somewhere and jump for cameras. Again probably jumped 75cm max but it was a great laugh! i can't wait to see the pictures this week.

C200-D540-C5-B5-425-D-B7-CD-5-B867-B48-A42-E.jpg

14-C477-EB-9003-4-DDA-B8-E9-AE4-E2585-F240.jpg

080-AA26-A-A161-44-E2-B250-1-B47-F4892052.jpg

David G lesson on Wed.... and then hopefully another scary / exciting outing this Sunday!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
great result Jeni :) how exciting!

I cooked Kira yesterday afternoon and also got sunburn riding outdoors :oops: just practiced our lesson exercises. Came to the conclusion that the weak spot now is the quality of the canter, it needs to get quicker off the ground again. it's hard flowing sideways when you have short little legs so we need the air time :p Chipped away at that this morning while it was still misty and cool.

OH is welding the lorry as we speak... *celebration klaxon* as the weather looks good for a bit I will get it parked in the field so we can do loading practice with the youngsters and then they can move to their summer residence. Been a long time coming!

scats

Visit site
Back from my lesson. I’ve been working hard on getting everything a bit ‘bigger’ with Millie over the last few weeks and the canter has really come together now. My trainer said that was the best she had ever seen Millie go and that I rode really well, so that was a boost for my confidence coz I’ve just felt so useless lately.
I was flying solo today, so no-one to take any video, though my trainer did get her phone out to film one of our canters so hopefully I’ll have that later.

After my little meltdown last time I had a lesson I have tried to switch it so that I concentrate on pushing Millie because of her weight, rather than my desire for success.

Asha

Visit site
Great news jenni , and fab report jenni the dragon .
Hope the welding goes to plan MP . Such a relief when you have wheels ?

We’ve had a fab weekend . Started with picking Aria & Amara up from the vets on Friday ( have to wait until 14th June to find out if she’s in foal again ) . Then a fab trip out to Kelsall on Saturday for Frank , really chuffed with him . Then my daughter and I went off for a lovely relaxed back around delamere forest today . Pip was so much better with the go ape this time . Was lovely to be out and about again .

DirectorFury

Visit site
We jumped the tiniest, weeniest, little jump and I didn’t fall off, though did nearly get jumped off twice - YO was watching and said I may as well have whacked it up to 1.20 because thats how high she was jumping :rolleyes:. Unfortunately I’ve completely lost my nerve in the 5 years we’ve not left the ground and wanted to cry while I was setting the jumps up (wtf), though I did enjoy it when we got going. BAE49FC1-121E-495A-9250-E05FF6ECCD61.jpeg

Asha

Visit site
We jumped the tiniest, weeniest, little jump and I didn’t fall off, though did nearly get jumped off twice - YO was watching and said I may as well have whacked it up to 1.20 because thats how high she was jumping :rolleyes:. Unfortunately I’ve completely lost my nerve in the 5 years we’ve not left the ground and wanted to cry while I was setting the jumps up (wtf), though I did enjoy it when we got going. View attachment 72784

Brilliant! I’m the same at the moment . So totally understand why you feel that way . It takes real bottle to overcome your fear like that ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've had a blooming great (but flipping tiring) weekend ?
Friday I went to local gallop circuit with hacking chum, the surface was super! We made the most of our 45 mins booked time! B did shift into 4th gear politely when asked, left our friend standing a little.
Saturday, I hacked with hacking chum and her young teenage son on his new horse, once I'd established he did have brakes, we opened up a bit a couple of times. A good active hour and a half out.
Pleasant solo hack on Sunday for almost 2 hours.
Today we did a 15k training ride, v glad we started by 9.30 as it was really hotting up by the time we got back. So pleased that B was a little star today ?
A quieter couple of days coming up I think..... just home solo hacking.

Roxylola

Visit site
So would you say 60/65cm for our next few show jumping rounds?
Yeah, until it seems easy and a bit boring.

We went to eland today. One stop, no falls - win! We mostly popped the 70 and 80 fences, and starting to feel better again. Again just restoring his self confidence a bit, he was very happy to be out and doing though.
Some fabulous reports from today ?

Michen

Visit site

We went to eland today. One stop, no falls - win! We mostly popped the 70 and 80 fences, and starting to feel better again. Again just restoring his self confidence a bit, he was very happy to be out and doing though.

Epic well done!!! Xx

Michen

Visit site

Sorry managed to post twice

palo1

Visit site
Maesmynach Alw - Eardisly May 21.jpg
A weekend of several parts from us! At last a bearable photo of Alw and I having fun. We went off to her first fun ride; longer trip than she has done before and travelling with a friend too. She loaded on the road brilliantly and travelled very coolly :) Very sensible to tack up and the ride itself was lovely. We enjoyed doing lots of little jumpies and I could feel her enthusiasm and confidence growing which is lovely. On the other hand this did reveal just how much work is needed on my lower leg; I haven't had a horse that enjoys jumping for years so 'rusty' is a good description of me and 'enthusiastic' as a description of her! Alw is forward and careful but does need a pilot at this point in her life. I can do piloting but need to get things together a bit better for bigger adventures!! BUT I am so proud of her attitude, her boldness and her sweet 'up for it' nature :) :) On the other hand, having seen several official photos of us there are other things which need addressing. It's not a bad thing to have those moments of 'awareness' and really I love this happy picture as a point in time - good stuff achieved; much more to work on!!

racebuddy

Visit site
With smallwood cancelled went to kelsall on the cross country field schooling was such good fun did loads of confidence boosts steps and jumps in and out of the water xxx chilled in the lazy spa and drank a lot ?? worked yesterday rode at 6 am before work , chilled day today schooled and hacked and spent the afternoon sunbathing ???? i am on the waiting list for eland lodge but not feeling hopeful ???