Stallion Showcase GB

oldywoldy

Visit site
Was there today impressed with fabrics van overis really jumped but small. Barrichello seriously jumped but was not an easy ride nice stamp. Disappointed with Craig jump unimpressive and not at all careful but very pretty! Honour cruise jumped but would love to know why he has only ever done one event as a 7 year old would have thought oli would have fast tracked him if he wanted to do the job. Thought Brit mail was ok bit ordinary and did not move will be interesting to see him eventing this season well produced by Lucinda but to be expected. Loved the Arko trio Arko himself plus aristio and argento although they did not do a lot of jumping. Interesting day not that many people there which was sad as v well organised event.

chrissie1

Visit site
I had high hopes of Brit Mail at Hartpury but my views were exactly the same, he was kind in the box etc but lacked that Wow factor under saddle, time will tell but I really have to be instantly taken with a stallion, then look more closely and then decide from there.

Am going today with the sole intention of seeing Supertramp but prepared to be swayed by something else, I'm interested in Decanter too and a buckskin would be nice...but not guaranteed of course!

woodlander

Visit site
Thanks to all at SSGB today......really lovely friendly team to support all of us and the commentators did a great job. I nearly fainted when I heard all those German names so well pronounced. Congrats to you and your team, Shirley.

Very pleased with our boys who are sooooooo young, and met some lovely new people over the Bucks Fizz.

Klaus

New User
Visit site
My friend and I be the only people who did not enjoy Addington!!
We are here from Belgium visiting friends and we breed and jump horses there, thought it would be interestings.
We were sat with a very wonderful crowd of people, who seemed very misunderstanding of the marking for the jumping of the young horses.
The horses did not get marked as they do in our country or France.
We were leaving and heard one of the judges,(my friend told me he was owner of show) talking with someone saying that no one in the crowd new anything of horses and should not be there!! we left, it is shame, we have been to jumping shows and seen good young horses that are as good or better than we have abroad.

We were not happy to hear we know nothing and listening to the people with us they were very knowing and had big love of horses.
We ask you come to our country and we show you good jumping and how we mark the jumping and we will not insult you :)

HBM1

Visit site
I cannot even imagine someone saying that..especially as many in the audience are also breeders. Sorry..just do not believe it.

eventrider23

Visit site
I would be shocked to hear ANY of the organisers or judges say such things about the audience at the loose jumping so that is not something I would readily believe whatsoever as they are nothing if not professionals. Also the 'owners' of the show are women and so there wouldn't have been a man who 'owned' it say anything like that.

avthechav

Visit site
Was there today impressed with fabrics van overis really jumped but small. Barrichello seriously jumped but was not an easy ride nice stamp. Disappointed with Craig jump unimpressive and not at all careful but very pretty! Honour cruise jumped but would love to know why he has only ever done one event as a 7 year old would have thought oli would have fast tracked him if he wanted to do the job. Thought Brit mail was ok bit ordinary and did not move will be interesting to see him eventing this season well produced by Lucinda but to be expected. Loved the Arko trio Arko himself plus aristio and argento although they did not do a lot of jumping. Interesting day not that many people there which was sad as v well organised event.

Agreed, was very surprised by Brit mail. I loved Lord Luis and thought Ramiro B and progeny sparkled. Arko trio were cleverly presented and all just oozed quality. What was everyone's opinion of Pepper mill? I havent been to a stallion showcase before but given Pepper mill's record I was surprised by his presentation. On a seperate note has Pepper mill been retired from competition now or is he still recovering from injury?

stoneybroke

Visit site
I would be shocked to hear ANY of the organisers or judges say such things about the audience at the loose jumping so that is not something I would readily believe whatsoever as they are nothing if not professionals. Also the 'owners' of the show are women and so there wouldn't have been a man who 'owned' it say anything like that.

Hmmm thinking it's quite possible from the man that leases and runs the venue.....quite opinionated. I am sure it has nothing to do with the event organisers

floradora

Visit site
Unfortunately couldn't make it to Addington due to illness. Looking forward to hearing everybodys views on the stallions. Why ??? does the thread get ruined already? If you have issues with either the organisers or the venue then discuss it with them. Ridiculous 'wind up' posts on public forums are not the way forward, sad to read your pathetic post, Klaus.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Unfortunately couldn't make it to Addington due to illness. Looking forward to hearing everybodys views on the stallions. Why ??? does the thread get ruined already? If you have issues with either the organisers or the venue then discuss it with them. Ridiculous 'wind up' posts on public forums are not the way forward, sad to read your pathetic post, Klaus.

I think that it could be significant that it's a first post from this contributor, which points to a wind-up. Agree with you floradora, sad and silly, and inaccurate.

Actually it was a fabulous weekend, the best SSGB yet, and feedback from Lynne Crowden underlines what a friendly and welcoming atmosphere there was at this event, not to speak of many fantastic stallions. The sight of the great Arko with his two stallion sons all together in the arena was memorable, as were the John Whitaker demo and Dane Rawlins masterclass. The exciting thing about the two days is how many very impressive young stallions are beginning to come through now, not least the Woodlander boys, and Brendon Stud's hugely impressive Clintissimo stallion, to mention just a few. It was also so good to see the two RID stallions and stunning pony stallions at the event, underlining the variety of talent that we have in the UK. I'm looking forward to 2014 already, and may the two stallion shows that are really getting established at Hartpury and Addington go from strength to strength without being criticised and carped at. Its time that we all worked together to promote the talent that we have in this country, and stopped allowing a few divisive voices to damage that unity.

levantosh

www.levantosportshorses.co.uk
I hope everyone don't mind I just wanted to start a new thread on the stallion showcase as the other thread has 4 pages and the stallion opinions start on that page.
I didn't go but am interested in everyones opinions on the stallions who attended (good and bad points) but hopefully un-wanted comments won't be posted :)

Pippin79

Visit site
Agreed, was very surprised by Brit mail. I loved Lord Luis and thought Ramiro B and progeny sparkled. Arko trio were cleverly presented and all just oozed quality. What was everyone's opinion of Pepper mill? I havent been to a stallion showcase before but given Pepper mill's record I was surprised by his presentation. On a seperate note has Pepper mill been retired from competition now or is he still recovering from injury?

Pretty sure Peppermill is now retired. He was working beautifully in the collecting ring that morning but I think he went into the main ring, saw the jumps and was a little tensed up. It's hard to know how to present the former superstar showjumpers and do them justice if they're not still jumping. I think the way they presented Ramiro B works best, in hand with a video showing them jumping in their heyday so to speak. My favourite of the younger horses was definitely Barrichello, he did look as though he could be a little sharp but an out and out jumper and very impressive over a fence. Was also very friendly in the box and enjoying all the attention.

eventrider23

Visit site
I went with a friend who took her two stallions Craig and El Thuder. It was a big weekend for her as Craig has never been to a 'stay away' party before farless been in an arena like that with the announcers, music, etc. and she was very nervous to say the least as having injured herself earlier in the week she had had to get a substitute rider on both boys. All in all though it was a huge success with Craig loving his adoring public, just being a bit shell shocked and tense on the Sunday as I think with the new lack of SJ's in the arena which he has seen the day before he found it a bit 'scary' but we were very pleased overall with how they went and looking forward to next year.

My favourites of the weekend would have to be getting to watch Arko parade with his sons Argento and Aristio on Saturday as well as falling in love with the 12.2 pony stallion Trefiw Markus. On Sunday, highlights for me would have to undoubtedly be watching the STUNNING mini-Totilas pony Rembrandt DDH as well as the breathtaking Treliver Decanter and in the stables watching the fabulous bromance that started between Avanti Amorous Archie and H Tobago, who spent most of their ime with noses stuck through the gap at the back of their stables licking each other adoringly!

no_no_nanette

Visit site
These are, of course very individual opinions : but standouts for me were, as always, Caretino Glory - I just think that horse has such presence and showed himself to be incredibly quick to learn during Dane Rawlins' masterclass; the Trakhener stallion Craig, who has near perfect conformation, beautiful frame and very pretty head, showed himself to be superbly willing and rideable, and from the photos that we saw of his first small crop of foals looks like he would have a very strong refining influence on any mare.

Cambrio van Overis Z is very like his sire Clintissimo, and although he is not yet three, the power already evident through his loins and hindquarters was very impressive indeed. He looked to me like a superstar in the making.

The two older stallions shown in-hand by Harthill Stud were both in the peak of health and fitness, Carousel (sire of Carousel Quest) and Ramiro B, and both on their progeny record and their appearance in the arena really appeal as event sires. Carousel is a more traditional type of Holsteiner, with more bone and a stronger frame than you see in some of the modern examples of the breed, but his youngstock seem to be very blood.

Another stallion who was new for this year was Sula Blue, again a nice one for event breeding, and a lovely traditional type of NH TB. Very calm and easy, a credit to his temperament, as his rider had apparently only met him ten minutes before they went into the ring.

Arko - what can you say? He really is stunning in person, and the record of his progeny is amazing.

I'd agree with eventrider that the pony stallion Rembrandt was outstanding, wonderful paces and presence; and Treliver Decanter outshone any photo that I have seen of him - loved his movement and softness in the hand, he looked as though he was an absolute pleasure to ride.

chrissie1

Visit site
I didn't get there until late morning, the ones I wanted to see all being later in the day. I loved Caretino Glory last year and he went so well in the Masterclass, did nothing wrong, a strong contender.

I wanted to see Supertramp, but am now a bit unsure as he was led into the warm up, with rider on top, and once free lost the plot a little and the rider did well not to be unseated to the side, nor to slide off backwards.

He was fine by the time I saw him at his actual time, but my mare will breed to what I use on her, so although she is very laidback I don't want to risk anything sparky.

Rembrant was outstanding and I wish he was 16.2.

Decanter. I loved him, I've avoided using a coloured horse of any description but am seriously rethinking on that one having seen him in the flesh.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
I didn't get there until late morning, the ones I wanted to see all being later in the day. I loved Caretino Glory last year and he went so well in the Masterclass, did nothing wrong, a strong contender.

I wanted to see Supertramp, but am now a bit unsure as he was led into the warm up, with rider on top, and once free lost the plot a little and the rider did well not to be unseated to the side, nor to slide off backwards.

He was fine by the time I saw him at his actual time, but my mare will breed to what I use on her, so although she is very laidback I don't want to risk anything sparky.

Rembrant was outstanding and I wish he was 16.2.

Decanter. I loved him, I've avoided using a coloured horse of any description but am seriously rethinking on that one having seen him in the flesh.

I think that I would be very seriously considering Decanter if I were looking to breed a dressage foal. And I would guess that they are very saleable,especially if you were lucky enough to get a palomino or buckskin!

chrissie1

Visit site
Not really setting out to breed a dressage foal, my mare is by Monte Carlo so is bred to jump as much as anything, her dam was TB x Skippy. So never going to breed the next Valegro!

Which is one reason that CG may suit as he has paces enough for most people to do dressage on and of course a phenomenal jump. OTOH I believe that Decanter offspring are well able to leave the ground!

Her Don Ricoss foal had very good movement for dressage, her PP moves like a show horse/eventer, and this family tend to give you what you send them to.

sallyf

Visit site
I certainly wouldnt rule decanter out as just being a dressage sire ,i have seen a very smart eventer by him (just cant remember whats its called ).
And didnt Dimaggio sire a Burghley young event horse winner to

Stuart harvey

New User
Visit site

I think that it could be significant that it's a first post from this contributor, which points to a wind-up. Agree with you floradora, sad and silly, and inaccurate.

Actually it was a fabulous weekend, the best SSGB yet, and feedback from Lynne Crowden underlines what a friendly and welcoming atmosphere there was at this event, not to speak of many fantastic stallions. The sight of the great Arko with his two stallion sons all together in the arena was memorable, as were the John Whitaker demo and Dane Rawlins masterclass. The exciting thing about the two days is how many very impressive young stallions are beginning to come through now, not least the Woodlander boys, and Brendon Stud's hugely impressive Clintissimo stallion, to mention just a few. It was also so good to see the two RID stallions and stunning pony stallions at the event, underlining the variety of talent that we have in the UK. I'm looking forward to 2014 already, and may the two stallion shows that are really getting established at Hartpury and Addington go from strength to strength without being criticised and carped at. Its time that we all worked together to promote the talent that we have in this country, and stopped allowing a few divisive voices to damage that unity.
Not quite sure how to use this yet as just registered but here goes !
PEPPERMILL is officially retired from competition and is in my stables in Surrey as I'm writing this. He is hacked out and goes in the field every day. I work him sometimes and jump some small jumps just for his enjoyment. Hes sound and good to hack but not up to jumping at the top level anymore.There seemed no point in jumping him over small jumps at Addington .We all know he can jump the biggest jumps in the world !I worked him at Addington in the morning as I knew he would be fresh and he felt great. His last major outing was Munich where he won the grand prix with john whitaker 16 months ago. When i put his show bridle on and he went in the ring he was expecting to jump and cantered round like an excitable pony. Bit embarassing for me but he was expecting to jump and think he was disappointed ! His record in nations cups, grand Prixs and championships has been amazing and BECKY stones and I are very proud of his achievements at the very top of the sport. We have bred some very nice youngsters by him and we are looking forward to producing them when they are old enough. Hopefully some will live up to the expectations of Peppermill !!!
Hope this clears up any questions about his retirement which both BECKY and I have found quite emotional .

Klaus

New User
Visit site
Hi
I am sorry you do not believe my friend Klaus, my English is better than his and yes it was his first and last post on this forum.
He does not lie, I heard the comments also, we only joined this forum as we are or were interested in in your breeding system in Britain.
By the comments we have received except for one we now think this man , not a woman was correct.
We are sorry that we were surprised and confused by these words, we think we have it right in our country and I am sure you will all be happy that we will not be coming here again or thinking Britain is a country you v
Can tell the truth.
We are sorry if we have offended.

delphipuppy

www.treliverstud.co.uk
Here is a link to a picture of Decanters Frankie who is a 4/5 year old being competed by Sam Griffiths. I can't copy the picture but this is the link to the photographer on the photographers web site.

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=15086#image=535132

Here is Stan a Decanter 5 year old in a working hunter class

stan.jpg

Here is Desi as a 4 year old at Addington, she is now 5 and doing Foxhunters

sm%20Desdemona%202.jpg

sm%20Desdemona%201.jpg

Klaus

New User
Visit site
Hi sorry I have another thing I have to say,
Why when you have such a stallion as Peppermill would you have concern about high spirits? He has nothing to have to show he is a very wonderful stallion who we would be very happy to have in Belgium. If you visit stallion shows at top breeders in Europe most of the best stallions are very important and like their audiences to see this. Especially the older stallions like to show they are still young in the heart. I remember Sandro at one of his last shows showing like three years old. I am sure Peppermill will be one of those legend stallions that will be in many top jumper pedigrees but he is a stallion who does not require to jump anymore.

eventrider23

Visit site
There is no point whatsoever in the likes of Peppermill, Arko, etc having to jump same as with the older in hand boys. They have had their careers and proven themselves and all that will happen is that in their older days they might pop over a smaller fence with a rider who is not the one they jumped their big tracks on and end up disappointing people as it wasn't the breath taking display they would expect of them. They have done their jobs and proven everything they need to - it is just nice to see them out and having fun still!

shirleyno2

Visit site
We need to see these progeny at SSGB!!! Next year we will offer a discount to any stallions bringing progeny with them!! DELPHIPUPPY!!!!!!
And Stuart, I'm sure Peppermill enjoyed his party and will have progeny out next year!!
There were plenty of superb stallions, that covered a wide range of mare's needs and the turnout and presentation on the whole improves year on year, young or old they can all act a prat for a couple of minutes sometimes, that last statement certainly includes one of mine this year!!! Silly horses don't read the rule book sometimes!!
Klaus, perhaps you could email your findings/quibbles to shirleyno2@hotmail.com

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I think the comments about Peppermill are fair based on what was seen. He showed a development of the sternomandibular muscle? which would indicate he has a tendancy to go with a high head carriage. This could be interpreted as a horse who is not the easiest when ridden. Plenty of horses are great on the ground but are hot to ride. The concerns therefore could be that his offspring may not be for the amater.

Tim Price is known for his rudness, but I was not aware that he was near enough to any audience members to have overheard any of his comments.

I thought it was a great show. I am just not a fan of seeing babies under saddle, so was more then shocked to see 2010 born colts putting on a ridden display. There are a number of reasons for feeling dismayed. For one it puts out the message that this is ok to ride a rising 3yo & expect it to perform in this way. It was the only blight of the day & it is also clear to me that it is endorsed by many professionals as no one seems to have batted an eye over it. Well if this is the way forward for horse production, you can keep it. Perhaps for the few that feel as I do it might be a good reason to buy foals/yearlings before anyone has the chance to damage them! Really sorry to offend yet again, but I believe the horse has as much right to have it's time to grow & enjoy time out being a baby as most our human children do. They should have long enough under saddle, being stabled etc without taking away their chance to be a horse.

avthechav

Visit site
Not quite sure how to use this yet as just registered but here goes !
PEPPERMILL is officially retired from competition and is in my stables in Surrey as I'm writing this. He is hacked out and goes in the field every day. I work him sometimes and jump some small jumps just for his enjoyment. Hes sound and good to hack but not up to jumping at the top level anymore.There seemed no point in jumping him over small jumps at Addington .We all know he can jump the biggest jumps in the world !I worked him at Addington in the morning as I knew he would be fresh and he felt great. His last major outing was Munich where he won the grand prix with john whitaker 16 months ago. When i put his show bridle on and he went in the ring he was expecting to jump and cantered round like an excitable pony. Bit embarassing for me but he was expecting to jump and think he was disappointed ! His record in nations cups, grand Prixs and championships has been amazing and BECKY stones and I are very proud of his achievements at the very top of the sport. We have bred some very nice youngsters by him and we are looking forward to producing them when they are old enough. Hopefully some will live up to the expectations of Peppermill !!!
Hope this clears up any questions about his retirement which both BECKY and I have found quite emotional .

Hi Stuart- Thanks for replying, as I said I have not been to a stallion show before and he looked dressed for jumping but understandably didn't which is where the confusion lies. Certainly the horse, like Arko has nothing to prove re jumping, but I was confused to see him looking geared up for jumping and then not... it would have been really nice to see some of his youngstock in hand alongside him, but I guess in future once they are broken you can present them alongside Peppermill.

In regards to his retirement I wish him a long and happy retirement as he has certainly earned it...it looks like he is really enjoying life and I love the fact that is not just the like of amatuer horses like my lovely Ginge, who are capable of warming up beautifully outside and then coming in as if they have never been in an arena in their life and it is the most exciting thing ever!! hehehe even Grand Prix horses are sent to try us sometimes :D.