Storm

southerncomfort

Visit site
Husband said he struggled to get youngest to school this morning as the usual route was heavily flooded. Not sure what he's planning for picking up time.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im NE Scotland so think we bore a lot of it, although I know a bit further south of me was worst. Was very windy and wet last couple days and squally today. Loads of flooding although we live on a hill so thankfully none up here. My 2 have stayed out with heavyweight full necks on which Ive changed every 12 hours as they were getting soaked through! They have open stables they can go into anytime they like but nope they'd rather stand under a tree during it all... so glad I spent thousands on those stables for them never to choose to use them!

Got team SJ on Sunday (as long as not cancelled...) so horses will be wild. Mine wont have been ridden in a few days because of this (field is now a bog to ride in) so fun times ahead

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That is a five bar gate in the middle of that field- I don’t know whether I should be moving them now. The water has reached my hardstanding
Oh heck 😳. If there’s higher ground that you can safely shift them to you might be best doing that now while you can.

ETA Just seen your earlier post, you are in Derbyshire and the river has burst its banks. Yes, move them.

Birker2020

Visit site
It was a horrendous night in Wiltshire and lots of roads are blocked with floodwater. We have a stream which goes under the road and crosses between our two west paddocks, with a foot/horse bridge between. I’ve never seen the water so high, half way up the near paddock and any number of vehicles stuck in the floodwater on the road. I fear our bridge may have washed away, still too much water to tell. The horses enjoyed a play in it thoughView attachment 125519View attachment 125520
OMG! I'd be totally distraught! 😮

SEL

Visit site
@Melandmary that's horrendous! How are they?

Got away lightly in Bucks. I've got lakes on the fields but the rain stopped first thing so it's draining. My little stream is a torrent. I rode the ponies - no need for water treadmills

Jambarissa

Visit site
In general mine are out 24/7 and naked. However half our field is a flood plain. Most are still out but had mine in overnight to save lying awake worrying!

We have loads of trees on the bank between the flood plane and higher ground, where the horses tend to shelter if its raining. One fell down last night. No one else is in any way concerned about this. Mine will be in when it's heavy rain or high winds for a few days until the ground dries out.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Lots of flooded roads here in N Cheshire. I went out at 2pm and along a road which I know well enough. There was one spot which was completely covered with a good 4 to 6 inch of water. Another spot which is usually flooded after rain, was dry.

Heading back along the same road 90mins later and the flooding had changed completely. The bit that was flooded before was now clear while the bit that was fine, now just half the road clear.

Looks like the water level in the back garden will narrowly avoid getting high enough to come in the conservatory doors.

The horse got a duvet day to spare his paddock (and because he gets grumpy when left out in the rain) he'll be much happier indoors with a net and he's being ridden by our trainer later so he'll have a good leg stretch.

Melandmary

Visit site
I am just waiting to move them to a friends place and will have to walk them there through the heavy traffic as all the roads are gridlocked. They are currently penned in on my drive. Hay barn , their barn all flooded. The sleepers round my arena have floated away and all my fencing is under water. Grateful to all the lovely people I know that have offered me fields and stables- just dreading the walk now to get them safe. I feel absolutely sick.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I am just waiting to move them to a friends place and will have to walk them there through the heavy traffic as all the roads are gridlocked. They are currently penned in on my drive. Hay barn , their barn all flooded. The sleepers round my arena have floated away and all my fencing is under water. Grateful to all the lovely people I know that have offered me fields and stables- just dreading the walk now to get them safe. I feel absolutely sick.
Can you ask them all to come in their hi-viz and walk along with you? Get people in cars with hazards on to drive in front & behind. Generally make "an event" of it, rather than trying to sneak along the edge. Don't delay until it gets deeper.
Thinking of you.

palterwell

Visit site
Good luck melandmary, I’m also at Chesterfield and I’ve never seen anything like this. We live on a hill but all roads to the village are closed.

w1bbler

Visit site
Sorry to all those struggling & good luck
For a nice change the southwest seems to be escaping. I've been out for a lovely ride on Dartmoor whilst my washing was drying outside.

Squeak

Visit site
The rain overnight and in the morning here has been horrendous! There was chaos on the roads this morning with everywhere flooding. Massive appreciation to the Rhino LW that withstood the torrential rain and for so long!

I hope everyone in Scotland and the areas effected have been ok.

M&M I'm so sorry to hear you've been flooded, I hope you got your horses to the other field ok and that there isn't too much damage to your land and stables.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The rain is easing somewhat here now but is still predicted to continue through most of tomorrow.
We have rugged the horses for the 1st time in 3 years! They have lived out with a shelter for all that time, on one occasion when it snowed they were a bit shivery but soon warmed up with some hay. Today the hay didn't do such a good job, so we had to dig out the rugs. The horses were very pleased to see them. Sister and I got kisses all round as we were putting the rugs on.
I went out for lunch and had to drive through a couple of 'fords' on the way. The grates simply can't cope with the amount of water, partly because they are clogged up with leaves, and we appear to have streams running down the sides of many roads. It's nowhere near as bad here as in some places though.

Melandmary

Visit site
Thankyou for all your well wishes. We didn’t end up moving in the end- the roads around us were gridlocked and my friend couldn’t get to her yard to open up. Luckily around 5.30 they must have decided to open the sluice gate because the water started going back quite rapidly. We had made a pen on the drive where we have 2 stables. 1 we filled with my hay and the other left open as Mary won’t be shut in. They were both pretty chilled throughout having a paddle and eating a ridiculous amount of hay which is normally rationed!! The levels went from well over 5ft to completely gone by morning and luckily not too much damage. A lot of horses near us had to move and I was overwhelmed by offers of accomadation and transport for them - even from people I don’t know. Restores your faith in humanity when everywhere around you the world has gone mad! Apologies for late update- it took a while to “come down”from the stress of it all

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 91

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Phew for that, M&M, but 😳😳😳 at how close the floodwaters got to your highest point. Thanks for the update after such a stressful time, we were all so worried for you.

As you will be all too aware, your area was mentioned on the national BBC news that night and subsequently as being especially badly affected.

Last edited:

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Thankyou for all your well wishes. We didn’t end up moving in the end- the roads around us were gridlocked and my friend couldn’t get to her yard to open up. Luckily around 5.30 they must have decided to open the sluice gate because the water started going back quite rapidly. We had made a pen on the drive where we have 2 stables. 1 we filled with my hay and the other left open as Mary won’t be shut in. They were both pretty chilled throughout having a paddle and eating a ridiculous amount of hay which is normally rationed!! The levels went from well over 5ft to completely gone by morning and luckily not too much damage. A lot of horses near us had to move and I was overwhelmed by offers of accomadation and transport for them - even from people I don’t know. Restores your faith in humanity when everywhere around you the world has gone mad! Apologies for late update- it took a while to “come down”from the stress of it all
Very relieved to hear the update. I was so hoping that everything went alright.