Stressed

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Ok. I can't guarantee anything. I am based in Norfolk so Colchester is close (ish).

Can you get an indication of when rspca will be coming out and/or apparently enforcing the pts? If I am able to take the day off work, I'll come down to you and be there as a legal advocate for you. I am not a qualified lawyer (everything but a training contract) but I have experience in making representations and providing I can be given all info and evidence, I could prepare something in advance or in writing to put them back in their box.

tabithakat64

Visit site
What terrible luck Jess :(

Regarding the RSPCA as others have suggested get the BHS welfare officer reinvolved, print all pictures as evidence of Princes improving condition and get your vet to write a report of treatment, character reference etc.

I was involved in something similar to this eariler in the year and the RSPCA's behaviour amazed me and not in a good way.

I'm only in Herts so if I can be of any assistance please PM me.

babymare

Visit site
Oh dear god what???? Surely rspca can see a good steady improvement not just in weight but his whole self eyes coat personality. beggars belief. i can help practicaly but i hope someone can help you sweetheart. just a huge hug useless i know but still a huv x x

Visit site
Still at work. Bhs just phoned. Said that if the rspca think he should be put down they are probably right, better he be put down at his yard with me than taken away and put down at theirs. It is confusing, but everything im saying is true. Bhs lady said i was being bullied to pts in their timeframe.

Now trying to answer some questions.

Vet is the same person, ive used her for 4 years, no idea she worked with the rspca until she came to examine prince.

the rspca arent coming back, they want the vet out by next week to weightape and if not significant improvement then pts at my expense, which i dont care about but it suggests that it is my choice
Last weight was 350kg by vet, 4 weeks ago
Last weight by me was 435kg last week. I did it in every possible way, 435 was the lowest reading.

I feel like im being treated like a criminal.

Visit site
Ok. I can't guarantee anything. I am based in Norfolk so Colchester is close (ish).

Can you get an indication of when rspca will be coming out and/or apparently enforcing the pts? If I am able to take the day off work, I'll come down to you and be there as a legal advocate for you. I am not a qualified lawyer (everything but a training contract) but I have experience in making representations and providing I can be given all info and evidence, I could prepare something in advance or in writing to put them back in their box.

Could you call me? I'll tell you everything you want to know, from the last 3 years of his life. Next time i get an unknown call i will record it, including my vets call.

To the person who asked if i have heard it wrong, i wish, she told me that the horse should have been pts when i got it but Apparantly i was told i had a month to improve his weight, no evidence. ( the only thing i have is the note and ive kept it) Month is up and the rspca officer that saw him says he is still 'grossly underweight' so pts it will be unless the vet (also theirs) decides he has made considerable improvement

slumdog

Visit site
Still at work. Bhs just phoned. Said that if the rspca think he should be put down they are probably right, better he be put down at his yard with me than taken away and put down at theirs. It is confusing, but everything im saying is true. Bhs lady said i was being bullied to pts in their timeframe.

Now trying to answer some questions.

Vet is the same person, ive used her for 4 years, no idea she worked with the rspca until she came to examine prince.

the rspca arent coming back, they want the vet out by next week to weightape and if not significant improvement then pts at my expense, which i dont care about but it suggests that it is my choice
Last weight was 350kg by vet, 4 weeks ago
Last weight by me was 435kg last week. I did it in every possible way, 435 was the lowest reading.

I feel like im being treated like a criminal.

If they weren't coming back and wanted him pts at my expense, then "the gate would be left open by someone and he'd escape never to been seen again"

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
PM me absolutely everything. Whole history, details of anything you have in writing, pictures, details of phone calls (when who etc).

I'll speak to friends who are barristers. When vet comes out, get her to note weight tape and ask her to bring records with her of when he was first seen with you as owner. Ask her outright if she agrees or disagrees, and if she disagrees, get a second opinion. I can very easily draft a staying letter to rspca to advise if a second opinion is needed. I get so would up by things like this.

Pm me your email so we can correspond. Get everything to me by Friday and I'll look it all over on the weekend. Pm me your mobile number too and I'll arrange to call you on weekend. I'll start some preliminary research regarding rspca powers and pts.

People are rooting for you and will help anyway possible.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Fine_and_dandy that's so good to hear.
It can't be right that the vet is batting for both sides she has a financial incentive not to piss off the RSPCA.

be positive

Visit site
They have no power to enforce this nor has the vet, he is your property now and unless they take proper steps to get him signed over or seized as far as I understand there is nothing they can do, they should have acted before he was yours but failed him then, I think they see you as an easier target to intimidate than his previous owner.
He is not grossly underweight and even if he was he has water, shelter and food so his basic requirements are being met surely that is the only concern they should have, can you get someone to be with you when the vet comes out to give you support.

I am too far away to offer any help but I am sure someone will be there for you.

star26

Visit site
Oh Jessi, what a horrible mess this is. I wish i were closer so i could come and physically do something. :(

How very kind of fine_and _dandy to offer to help, what a hero! :)

I really hope you can sort something out so you can keep both horses- perhaps someone on here wants a loan?
Keep us updated and don't be afraid to ask for help if needed- remember, we are all on your side and you can come here for support any time.

Sending positive vibes and hugs. :)

One More

Visit site
Oh gosh, poor you! I think fine_and_dandy has some very wise words of advise. I also have a TB who arrived in the same state prince was in, it's taken me 5 months to build his weight back up to where it should be. You have done an incredible job in the timeframe, and I'm sure prince really appreciates being loved by you.
Just so angry on your behalf OP, RSPCA are making a right hash of this.

cbmcts

Visit site
Jess

I wish I could say I was surprised by the RSPCAs behaviour but sadly I'm not!

While not legally trained, I'm a fairly bolshy old bird who is quite articulate and not too far from you so if FandD can't make next Wednesday, let me know if you like and I'll shoot up the A12...

babymare

Visit site
By god this forum steps up to the mark time and time again. you people are truelly amazing. jess somany people myself inc are rooting for you. please stay strong so many have seen the difference in prince and all support you if not in person in spirit. x x

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Jessie did they leave you improvement notices? Any and all of those are integral. Also request copy of vet file on him.

Can any other forum users help me out?This will be fairly big in terms of research in terms of their powers. I've already been through the animal welfare act 2006. Can a few people run searches as to powers to destroy if the animal doesn't belong to the charity? And pm me the results?

Animal welfare act is the first port of call but save after prosecution and convictions, and certain other circs there is no power. I just want to confirm this as far as I can before I start drafting my rocket in terms of where they stand legally.

REMEMBER Jessica, they have no power to enter your premises unless accompanied by an officer with a warrant etc.

mightymammoth

Visit site
wasn't there a member who used to work for the rspca/bhs? I can't for the life of me remember who. I'm sure there's a member on here as well called something like "BHSLee" who may have some info/advice. Does anyone know who these folks are or have I dremt it?

Visit site
They already entered the premisis. And entered the rooms, she admitted to it, shed have had to hop both fences.

Id just had a long chat with my vet. I love her dearly, she helped me so so much when magic was put to sleep, she said she will come on my behalf, not theirs and check him over and she will offer her honest opinion. She spoke to me about if i could offer prince a permanent home, i answered honestly and said i didnt know. She asked me to think about where he might end up if something should happen to me, or i lost my job. She asked me to think about what we talked about when magic was pts, about how i could promise that he would never be in pain or struggle through another winter again by letting him go. She asked me to think about these things should the prognosis be poor.
She is coming next wednesday.
She said the rspca are wrong and all decisions are mine.
I dont like this

jenki13

Visit site
Jess big hugs!

Hopefully your mare is on the mend & you can find a loan/share that allows you to keep her.

The RSPCA are just being ridiculous! How can they say there hasn't been a significant improvement.. he's fed, rugged has water & looks tons better than when you took him on :mad:

Fine_and_dandy has made a fantastic offer & if you weren't 5 hours drive away I'd come & give you support when the RSPCA were about.

Remember they have no powers of entry & the police only do if they have a warrant (or to save a life).

I'm trying to find out the powers of the RSPCA when it comes to PTS but can't find anything other than a House of commons debate & the rspca sight saying that they prosecute...

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Thanks all for help - keep it coming. One thing that would help is looking into feeding guidance for neglected horses. General advice is "slowly but surely" to avoid colic etc but if there is any online guidance or notes from rspca or other more horsey institutions that would be great.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow at that angle.

Thanks also for pms!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
F&D it might be worth contacting Bransby - they did a 4 page article on the rehabbing of Carrot and Spud - they were condition scored at zero when they arrived and they were successfully rehabbed SLOWLY with a fibre based diet. Not sure if it archived on their website - will find a link - but I am sure they would be worth a call if not.

BWa

Visit site
I'm so mad for you Jess, all those times you tried to help Prince and they didn't want to know and now this! I hate the RSPCA anyway, but even more now. I would love if it you point this out that to them At some point!
Thinking of you. X

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Thanks slinks. That's ace. I'll be using that...and BWa, we'll see what it takes but that will be coming out at some point. It depends on how stupid they wish to be as to how quickly my claws start coming out.

Jessica - who is the mp for your area? That is also a good way to get some leverage and weight. Once we've got something in writing that you are happy with, we can cc them in on it to draw it to their attention.

texas

Visit site
Jessi I will not let you put him down without good reason. He is in much better condition than he was and is obviously happy and enjoying life. If we all worried about losing our jobs none of us would have horses. Cross that bridge if you ever reach it. I would love to meet you and the boy at the weekend if you have time.