Stressed

cbmcts

Visit site
Jessi has asked me to post this for her as I was there today.

Prince was pts at lunchtime today, not because he was a welfare case, the vet was delighted with his progress since Jessi took him on - but because his underlying issues that meant that he was likely to struggle through the winter. He was showing signs of liver damage, bad arthritis in his hocks and of course the heart damage, not surprising since he was so badly neglected for so many years. Jessi very bravely, decided that it was better for him to go today in reasonable health and a full belly with the sun on his back rather than risk him struggling through bad weather and having to be PTS as an emergency case.

Prince was a lovely boy and I was pleasantly surprised - as was the vet - how good he looked today, not at all skinny, he just looked like an old horse lacking in topline really. He felt well enough to boss Jessi's mare around and to demand headrubs :) That girl worked wonders on him and I feel privileged to have met them both.

RIP Prince.

khalswitz

Visit site
I've been a lurker with regards to all things Prince so far, but had to comment on this turn of events - well done to Jess for being brave, and lots of hugs. You did so well with him, you went above and beyond, and it's heartbreaking that his underlying problems were just too much. At least he had a happy ending. RIP.

happyhack

Visit site
I've been following this and Jess has done such an amazing job, and she shouldn't feel disheartened at todays outcome.

He will rest in peace knowing he was well loved. He was a very lucky boy to have ended up with her.

RIP Prince, travel well.

xx

Moomin1

Visit site
why can't you just back off for a while and let Jess have some time to deal with this before you start with your interrogations!!

It is a genuine question? I don't get what's changed? The whole thread has been about how much he has improved and shouldn't be pts. So genuinely surprised that all of a sudden OP has made the decision to pts that's all.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Don't come the inocent, you commented to stir. Again.

FGS search deep within yourself and find the little spark of sympathy that must be there somewhere and leave the poor girl to grieve for the horse she loved.

cbmcts

Visit site
I'm confused. Wasn't the vet aware of these issues a month ago? What's changed now all of a sudden?

The vet may have been (as she was his previous owners vet too) but Jessi didn't have access to those records due to DP or something similar. When she took him on he was in such a state that the priority was to feed, worm and get his teeth done and hope for the best and make any decisions later. The big change of course is that it is mid October with a hard winter forecast!

Moomin,

Be kind please. I know you can be as you've been very kind to me in the past. Jessi gave this horse a chance at great cost to herself both financially and emotionally. He had a lovely few months after life long neglect and for that alone, I hope she feels like all the effort was worth it. There are very few people who would do what she has done and as we all know there are very few fairy tale endings but that doesn't mean that it wasn't worth it.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Dear Jess, you have made a brave decision and I'm sure it was very hard to let him go, but in your heart you know it was absolutely the right thing to do. You made such a difference to his life, he was lucky in the end.

RIP Prince

Dollysox

Visit site
Jessi - you have been truly amazing with the care, love and concern you have had for Prince. After such a hard life he had a wonderful few weeks knowing that he was loved, cared for and had a full tummy. You made an incredibly brave decision today, one that only a person who truly loved their horse could make, and you ensured that a lovely old chap went out in style.

cbmcts - your support and concern for Jessi & Prince does you credit.

RIP Prince - you will be remembered for a long time. Lots of love to you Jessi - be kind to yourself.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Just like to add my sympathies. You did a fabulous job on getting Prince look, more like a Prince! You should give yourself a medal. May Prince be at peace now, forever loved. x

ridefast

Visit site
HUGE hugs Jess, you did a fantastic job with him and lovely to see how happy and healthy he was looking in your pictures. RIP Prince. I hope your mare is also on the mend, I can't remember how long mine took to recover but I think it was about 6 months before he was back to full fitness, just took everything slowly xx

wyrdsister

Visit site
I too have been lurking here. Sympathies, Jess, hold onto the fact that you gave him a few lovely months being cared for and that's all he will have been aware of until it was over. Horses tend to live in the moment; you made his last ones safe, contented and loved.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I have a lump in my throat - which is nothing compared to how Jess must be feeling - Prince knew love and kindness in his last months, thanks to Jess - RIP Prince and big hugs to Jess.

P