Struggling with hacking

emiliaa

Visit site
I am probably repeating what others have said but I would strongly recommend investing in a pro rider to teach him to get out of these habits before they get any worse, if you could have someone a few times a week for a while I am sure this will be sorted in no time, I have watched so many horses like this and worse come in from owners that throw this behaviour and worse at them and they will be able to have the experience and confidence to say no and ride it out and then will help you learn how to do once he has learnt it isn't going to be tolerated. They are quickly turned into polite and respectful horses with the right training.
I realise 'pro rider' covers a huge variety of people and when you ask for recommendations make sure they are very experienced with this kind of thing and I realise they can be expensive but its definitely worth the investment at this point!
Good luck x
Thanks X

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
This was my first ever show, look how bad my riding is? Is he really that atrocious horse you were describing? Just because I struggle hacking him (which I barely even do) I should sell him as a whole? Not right. I have worked so hard since getting him. He was unfit underweight and he was overjumped at one of those professional places you were talking about (Jumping him 1.30 which he can barely do) which really messed up his back but it is better now. All horses have quirks and hacking is my horses one, I am not just going to sell him because of that.

Um..... when you posted the You-Tube footage, and asked for advice on here, I thought it was because you were actually actively SEEKING advice??? That was the impression I (and no doubt others) gained?? Yes??

You've been riding for 3 years, and yep OK fair enough, you know it all, plus some!! The advice that I and others on here who've spent a lifetime working with horses, is of no account; and that advice was well-intended, and basically out of concern for your safety. But you don't need advice. Obviously.

So I'm outta this. Frankly I can't be arsed to give advice to someone who obviously doesn't need it.

TPO

Visit site
Um..... when you posted the You-Tube footage, and asked for advice on here, I thought it was because you were actually actively SEEKING advice??? That was the impression I (and no doubt others) gained?? Yes??

You've been riding for 3 years, and yep OK fair enough, you know it all, plus some!! The advice that I and others on here who've spent a lifetime working with horses, is of no account; and that advice was well-intended, and basically out of concern for your safety. But you don't need advice. Obviously.

So I'm outta this. Frankly I can't be arsed to give advice to someone who obviously doesn't need it.

Rude and unnecessary!

This is a 15yr old girl with her first horse asking adults for help.

This forum spends so much time posting about how nasty and discouraging people can be, about the ill effects on their mental health from bullies and nasty comments and reminding people to be kind and understanding and then an adult feels the need to go out of their way to be nasty to a child who is having a problem. Not ok

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Reading this thread has made me think of a few points:

Because of all the good work you have done with him, he is now much fitter and better muscled than he was when you tried him at his previous home. He feels well and stronger.

Many horses don't respond well to a single-jointed snaffle bit as it can often poke them in the soft pallet (roof of the mouth), it sounds to me as if this happens when you try to lift his head up from the ground. It may happen when you are riding along too. He might respond to a different snaffle bit, maybe double-jointed, or mullen-mouthed. It would be worth discussing bits with your instructor, imo.

He has probably been having too much food of the wrong kind for him, it can take several weeks for this to work out of the system and spring grass is now coming through, even though the nights are still cold.

I think that the plan of asking your RI to hack the horse and then, if there is no real problem found, hack with you is a very good one. I hope it works out for you.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Visit site
Rude and unnecessary!

This forum spends so much time posting about how nasty and discouraging people can be, about the ill effects on their mental health from bullies and nasty comments and reminding people to be kind and understanding and then an adult feels the need to go out of their way to be nasty to a child who is having a problem. Not ok

Sorry but I beg to differ; if you ask for advice on here, then you basically need to be able to listen to that advice, and even if it isn't what you want to hear, then either discard it or consider it.

The "15yo girl with her first horse asking adults for help" seems not to want to listen to that advice, when that advice is actually seeing a problem and trying to keep her safe!! Some of us have seen some very nasty accidents which have occurred through the years, and my advice (i.e. that this horse is maybe too much horse for her - no shame in that), was meant well.

15yo or no, if you ask for advice on a public forum, and you get it, then don't then get all defensive!!

I rest my case. Up to her what she does with her horse. Not my problem thank god.

The Trooper

Visit site
I have just read this thread start to end. I would be concerned that a bit with nutcracker action isn't right for him (as PaS said above), so you may want to try a lozenge or something similar.

As others have said he may just not like hacking, one of my mares; Belle hates schooling and being in an arena so she will only ever hack.

I also support having someone else take him out and see what happens, your RI or a very experienced friend.

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
Sorry but I beg to differ; if you ask for advice on here, then you basically need to be able to listen to that advice, and even if it isn't what you want to hear, then either discard it or consider it.

The "15yo girl with her first horse asking adults for help" seems not to want to listen to that advice, when that advice is actually seeing a problem and trying to keep her safe!! Some of us have seen some very nasty accidents which have occurred through the years, and my advice (i.e. that this horse is maybe too much horse for her - no shame in that), was meant well.

15yo or no, if you ask for advice on a public forum, and you get it, then don't then get all defensive!!

I rest my case. Up to her what she does with her horse. Not my problem thank god.

Justify it to yourself however you want but you were rude and nasty in that completely unnecessary post.

The OP has posted a few times now thanking everyone for taking the time to reply and offer their opinions and thoughts so you are wrong about that too.

I hope you feel good having gone out of your way to post something nasty to a child.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Visit site
Justify it to yourself however you want but you were rude and nasty in that completely unnecessary post.

The OP has posted a few times now thanking everyone for taking the time to reply and offer their opinions and thoughts so you are wrong about that too.

I hope you feel good having gone out of your way to post something nasty to a child.

Thank you for your opinion. I still stand by mine. We all see things differently.

Hope OP gets on OK with her horse.

emiliaa

Visit site

All you did was suggest I sell my horse...? I was asking for advice on how to make hacking safer not on how to sell him. If you read my comments you can see I am very accepting and thankful of all the advice I am getting. Telling me to sell my horse is NOT helpful at all. Maybe you’re one of those people who sell horses just like that but I am not. If you want to pick on someone don’t make it me, I am not backing down. Have a nice day, Mimi X

emiliaa

Visit site
Rude and unnecessary!

Thank you TPO you are really kind X

Peter7917

Visit site
I cant see the videos however it sounds like this is a big, capable horse who needs the confidence from his rider. What was once a good horse can quickly be undone with the wrong rider and even with professional intervention I would be concerned that this horse will revert back to this behaviour unless there is a change in the way the rider handles him. Too much horse it would seem.

emiliaa

Visit site
Thank you for your opinion. I still stand by mine. We all see things differently.

Hope OP gets on OK with her horse.
You’re the only one with that opinion and yes, I am doing great with my horse he has shown me the ropes and taken me showjumping dressage etc what a wonderful horse! Hacking is just an issue we need to overcome (or not) Thanks, Mimi X

emiliaa

Visit site
I have just read this thread start to end. I would be concerned that a bit with nutcracker action isn't right for him (as PaS said above), so you may want to try a lozenge or something similar.

As others have said he may just not like hacking, one of my mares; Belle hates schooling and being in an arena so she will only ever hack.

I also support having someone else take him out and see what happens, your RI or a very experienced friend.
Thank you X

emiliaa

Visit site
I cant see the videos however it sounds like this is a big, capable horse who needs the confidence from his rider. What was once a good horse can quickly be undone with the wrong rider and even with professional intervention I would be concerned that this horse will revert back to this behaviour unless there is a change in the way the rider handles him. Too much horse it would seem.
Lucky I am not planning on being a happy hacker 🙂 Just something I wish to improve. If he can let my tiny cousins ride him then I doubt he is too much “horse” for me. I am getting a professional involved. Thanks Mimi x

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Visit site
All you did was suggest I sell my horse...? I was asking for advice on how to make hacking safer not on how to sell him. If you read my comments you can see I am very accepting and thankful of all the advice I am getting. Telling me to sell my horse is NOT helpful at all. Maybe you’re one of those people who sell horses just like that but I am not. If you want to pick on someone don’t make it me, I am not backing down. Have a nice day, Mimi X

FYI all of my horses I've had, plus the two I've got, are life-longers, they stay with me until PTS time comes.

I didn't TELL you to sell your horse, I merely suggested that you maybe were not compatible. It was your SAFETY I was concerned about, and nothing else.

It was your choice to post the You Tube footage which didn't show the partnership in its best light.

I was NOT trying to pick on you, that wasn't my intention at all; and as for "backing down" - what is there to "back down" about? If you don't like someone's advice then you don't need to take it!! But from my own experience I know that even if certain "advice" isn't what you want to hear, then it can still be helpful. For e.g. someone once told me that I'd never in a million years get my old boy out hacking solo - which then spurred me on to prove them wrong, and we did!! So even if you feel people's expressed opinions may be a little harsh - and perhaps an old bag like me doesn't know anything anyway!!, then that can still act as a positive factor - it is really all about learning how to accept criticism and advice, both negative and positive, and learning from it.

Hoping all works well for you and this horse and that you go on to prosper together.

Last edited:

emiliaa

Visit site
Reading this thread has made me think of a few points:

Because of all the good work you have done with him, he is now much fitter and better muscled than he was when you tried him at his previous home. He feels well and stronger.

Many horses don't respond well to a single-jointed snaffle bit as it can often poke them in the soft pallet (roof of the mouth), it sounds to me as if this happens when you try to lift his head up from the ground. It may happen when you are riding along too. He might respond to a different snaffle bit, maybe double-jointed, or mullen-mouthed. It would be worth discussing bits with your instructor, imo.

He has probably been having too much food of the wrong kind for him, it can take several weeks for this to work out of the system and spring grass is now coming through, even though the nights are still cold.

I think that the plan of asking your RI to hack the horse and then, if there is no real problem found, hack with you is a very good one. I hope it works out for you.
Thank you. Me and my mum tried to get a bit person out for advice about what bit we should use for hacking (he schools really nicely on the regular snaffle) but she kept messing us around and now we have to find another but will definetly be looking into it thanks, Mimi X

indie1282

Visit site

Gosh that's very rude and uncalled for...

I think the OP is younger and may have taken some of the comments the wrong way but has apologised and taken them all on board.

emiliaa

Visit site
FYI all of my horses I've had, plus the two I've got, are life-longers, they stay with me until PTS time comes.

I didn't TELL you to sell your horse, I merely suggested that you maybe were not compatible. It was your SAFETY I was concerned about, and nothing else.

I was NOT trying to pick on you, that wasn't my intention at all; and as for "backing down" - what is there to "back down" about? If you don't like someone's advice then you don't need to take it!!

Hoping all works well for you and this horse and that you go on to prosper together.
I won’t be taking your advice, clearly I am too good to anyway. Thanks Mimi X

be positive

Visit site
As someone who has trained many riders I think the video is fine and any negative comments are uncalled for, as a first outing the OP obviously looks inexperienced but I think the horse is the right type to be a schoolmaster and apart from the hacking will teach her a lot, it really is not the be all and end all to be able to hack, as long as the horse gets plenty of turnout and a variety of exercise he will be fine, it is preferable that they can go out hacking and may be possible in the future but it is no reason to sell him if he is suitable for the job he was bought for, which he appears to be.

emiliaa

Visit site
As someone who has trained many riders I think the video is fine and any negative comments are uncalled for, as a first outing the OP obviously looks inexperienced but I think the horse is the right type to be a schoolmaster and apart from the hacking will teach her a lot, it really is not the be all and end all to be able to hack, as long as the horse gets plenty of turnout and a variety of exercise he will be fine, it is preferable that they can go out hacking and may be possible in the future but it is no reason to sell him if he is suitable for the job he was bought for, which he appears to be.
He definitely is everything I ever could of asked for he has taught me so much and is the perfect schoolmaster thanks a lot X

emiliaa

Visit site

Sorry only just seen this as I said if I wanted a happy hacker then this would be an issue but luckily hacking isn’t really my thing anyway. I hate going on the roads the cars scare me the only reason I do it is because it’s more interesting for the horse but if it doesn’t work out then it doesn’t work out X

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
1) Do you need/want to hack, alone/in groups.
2) I'd put someone else experienced with this sort of behaviour on him
3) depending on the result of 2 I would possibly get some experienced to long rein him out and see how that went.
4) I'd ask said person to teach me the tools of how to deal with it (/his likely anxiety).

Reactions: TPO