Summer...ID bought unseen from Ireland...

catembi

Visit site
Lesson took place in a very windswept outdoor school! Beforehand, I was looking at all the showjumpers on the yard with their pretty heads and thinking that I’ve got the riding school plod with an enormous head, but OMG she has got some engine! The steering is erratic and she doesn’t really understand the aids, but she is forward and wants to go! She is also probably nearer 16.3 than 16.1. Due to not currently having a lot in the way of brakes or steering, we will be working out our buttons in the indoor school tomorrow rather than hacking...!

tashcat

Visit site
I always browse through Irish sport equine - they appear to have some lovely and easy-to-do stock and a lot of their Connemara types keep catching my eye - I'm always so tempted so its exciting to see someone having bought one!

She looks lovely, best of luck with her! Keep us updated :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Very windy this morning, wasn’t it? Loving the dapples and how settled she looks.

An Irish draught arrived at my yard for the riding school this week, big lump of a chestnut, 17hh2, I may steal him!

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
Wow! I keep looking at their videos, currently looking for a safe 15.2hh cob, will be very interested to hear how you get on. Well done for taking the plunge.

Mule

Visit site
Forwardness is a great quality. You can put the schooling on her yourself. Personally, as I've become more proficient at dressage, the more I enjoy the training aspect. So sounds like you have fun times ahead.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Wow! I keep looking at their videos, currently looking for a safe 15.2hh cob, will be very interested to hear how you get on. Well done for taking the plunge.

As a general rule anything coming via an Irish dealer straight from Ireland will be greener than grass. Safe won't come into it. Horses imported from Ireland into a dealer in UK might have a rudimentary education for a week or two before being advertised, depending on which dealer you get involved with. A maxi cob mare I have spend 4 weeks with Clip Clop traders as a four year old before being sold as a bombproof family cob to a very novice family whom the mare terrorised for 18 months before coming to me as a mannerless thug.

I was chatting to a lovely lady last weekend whose grandfather is an Irish dealer. He breds and/or finds youngsters, at 2 1/2 to 3 yrs old, a rider is thrown up and as long as the rider stays up, the horse is sent out with others for a farm hack. If rider and horse survive that the horse is sent hunting for a couple of days and is then sold to the UK as a made hunter.

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
Eeeekkkk! and that is why I am not brave enough to consider buying unseen. Thanks for the reality check. I think I better start looking for an older been there seen it one, which are like hens teeth. Its so difficult.

Mule

Visit site
As a general rule anything coming via an Irish dealer straight from Ireland will be greener than grass. Safe won't come into it. Horses imported from Ireland into a dealer in UK might have a rudimentary education for a week or two before being advertised, depending on which dealer you get involved with. A maxi cob mare I have spend 4 weeks with Clip Clop traders as a four year old before being sold as a bombproof family cob to a very novice family whom the mare terrorised for 18 months before coming to me as a mannerless thug.

I was chatting to a lovely lady last weekend whose grandfather is an Irish dealer. He breds and/or finds youngsters, at 2 1/2 to 3 yrs old, a rider is thrown up and as long as the rider stays up, the horse is sent out with others for a farm hack. If rider and horse survive that the horse is sent hunting for a couple of days and is then sold to the UK as a made hunter.

To be fair most of the traditional Irish types are so good natured and calm the dealers tend to get away with it because while they are often not well schooled they are safe. Of course this is contingent on there being a lot of ID blood in the animal and definitely not the continental warmblood influence that often masquerades as an ISH, these days.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
As a general rule anything coming via an Irish dealer straight from Ireland will be greener than grass.

This is almost exactly what I got when I bought mine. To be fair, my very experienced YO tried him out for me, but the dealer basically goes over, points out the dozen he likes the look of in a field and fetches them over. Mine had ‘hunted for a season’, yeah, right. He was reasonably well schooled and he’s very easy going, so I’m very fortunate.

An Irish horse agent I know says basically, with the less scrupulous dealers, they get a saddle put them, get to jump ditches, go in straight lines, get smacked with blue pipes when naughty, then get sold over here for a decent price. Obviously, not all dealers are like this!

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
This is almost exactly what I got when I bought mine. To be fair, my very experienced YO tried him out for me, but the dealer basically goes over, points out the dozen he likes the look of in a field and fetches them over. Mine had ‘hunted for a season’, yeah, right. He was reasonably well schooled and he’s very easy going, so I’m very fortunate.

An Irish horse agent I know says basically, they get a saddle put them, get to jump ditches, go in straight lines, get smacked with blue pipes when naughty, then get sold over here for a decent price.

I agree about the blue pipes, especially out hunting. It makes me uncomfortable to see a young horse being hit for not jumping a ditch when the whole thing is new to them. Some people (farmers generally) still rush them too much.

The people I've learned from as an adult starting riding again run a riding school and also produce high quality eventers for sale and it's a relief to see they're a world away in their treatment and training of horses from the people I knew as a child.

Also, although things are improving, Ireland is still behind the UK in animal welfare concerns. While new laws have been introduced the judges haven't moved with the times in regard to sentencing. Interestingly as society has become more affluent and human/ civil rights have become more respected, people are more cognisant of animal welfare.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
An example of buyer beware is over there >>>>>>>>>>>>> £3950 grey mare 'Kelly' she is advertised as being in Sussex, yet the advert clearly says price includes delivery to UK and to enquire about her you have to ring an Irish telephone number. 'Kelly' is from the same dealer as the original poster purchased from. The ad pictures are all the same or similar. Just a four year old, hunted, jumps and a paragon of virtue.

Cynical, me..........never.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Lesson took place in a very windswept outdoor school! Beforehand, I was looking at all the showjumpers on the yard with their pretty heads and thinking that I’ve got the riding school plod with an enormous head, but OMG she has got some engine! The steering is erratic and she doesn’t really understand the aids, but she is forward and wants to go! She is also probably nearer 16.3 than 16.1. Due to not currently having a lot in the way of brakes or steering, we will be working out our buttons in the indoor school tomorrow rather than hacking...!

Interesting on what you’ve experienced so far.

I’ve ridden about 5 ISH at various dealers this last week from 15.2-16.2hh aged 5-7 and not one can do a balanced canter or canter easily on request, or stops easily when asked. I sort of expected it from a 5yr old but thought maybe that a 7 yr old would be more advanced and they’re not cheap either! My old 23yr old is like Valegro in comparison :D

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Interesting on what you’ve experienced so far.

I’ve ridden about 5 ISH at various dealers this last week from 15.2-16.2hh aged 5-7 and not one can do a balanced canter or canter easily on request, or stops easily when asked. I sort of expected it from a 5yr old but thought maybe that a 7 yr old would be more advanced and they’re not cheap either! My old 23yr old is like Valegro in comparison :D

With horses and life in general I suppose, you only get out what you put in.

Remember the vast majority of purchasers for the 'suitable novice, good in all ways' type of horse will have no idea what a balanced educated horse actually is or have ridden one.

In 2005 I went buying for myself with a very healthy budget. I wanted a ID HW. Visited many dealers including a few who had horses brought over from Ireland for me. What an experience and how very disappointing. I got bucked off 2, not a single one was 17h plus and only a couple knew left from right. A few had a bit of go and most had no whoa. None had manners, a few had a limp or a roar or both !

I love going buying and often go for other people, but I will never forget searching for the 2005 purchase. A learning curve to say the least.

Chiffy

Visit site
Loving the ‘Irish’ stories!

Quite a few years ago I met a young man out hacking, he was a good rider and was on a very green looking youngster. I asked if it was new. Yes, he said from Ireland, think it was broken in on the boat coming over!
We both laughed. It was a pretty good horse in the end.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Quite a few years ago I met a young man out hacking, he was a good rider and was on a very green looking youngster. I asked if it was new. Yes, he said from Ireland, think it was broken in on the boat coming over!

The ID is a fabulous horse and it will be lovely watching the OP's mare develop and be successful, it is certainly in the right hands to be made the most of.

Mule

Visit site

:D At least he had a sense of humour.

catembi

Visit site
Yes, there is def a lot to work on! She is an unschooled version of the late Catembi. We shall see what tomorrow brings. I am excited and hoping that I’m up to it. :)

Mule

Visit site
Yes, there is def a lot to work on! She is an unschooled version of the late Catembi. We shall see what tomorrow brings. I am excited and hoping that I’m up to it. :)

Of course you're up to it. You'll learn lots as well as have fun

kimberleigh

Visit site
What people have said about the Irish trade sellers is so accurate I actually laughed - I moved here last year and their idea of broken&riding means basically someone can get chucked on, trot/canter up a lane and not get rodeoed off...

An acquaintance has sent a couple to me for manners/handling etc with the tagline "broken&riding". First was a filrhy heavily feathered black cob mare, about 15.2hh. 5 years old but I think more like just turned 4. He said he'd spent a long time breaking her, doing all the groundwork etc.
She tried to kick me across the stable when I tried to touch her back feet, she would retreat to back of stable anyyime you went in, she actually shook when I first took a saddle into her. I spent first week grooming her, washing her, bonding with her. Then the next having tack laying about, putting it on/taking it off, then had a go at lunging/long reining...well she didnt have the foggiest clue! He said "I want her to stand still when you get on as she rushes off and you fussy English people want something that will stand like a robot at a block while you mess about with stirrups/girths etc" 🙈

She was nervy but honest when I got on - had a few leaps and starts but settled really nicely and had a lovely mouth. She was very nappy at the gate to begin with though and when he came to see how she was doing I was informed that "it just needs a good thrashing up and down the lanes" 😏

I would've bought her myself had he not wanted stupid money for her as she would've made a cracking show cob if hogged/clipped out. He tried sellingher at a few horse fairs but never got the money he wanted...not sure where she ended up.

Next up was another "broken&riding" beautiful 5 year old Connie gelding. Stunning to look at but by god he was dangerous as hell. Cold backed is all I was told. Told the bloke I wouldn't even consider getting on him until I had gained his trust and he stopped trying to double barrell me anytime he was able to. You could pick up his front feet without too much hassle, but get past girth area and he would turn himself inside out to try and kick/stamp you. When I finally broke the kicking habit and reported back owner responded with "I dont give a ******* if you can touch his feet, I wanna know what hes like riding" to which I responded that with the gteatest will in the world, a 14hh pony which would be more than likely ending up with a kid is useless if it wants to kill people!!
He was just a very, very scared chap and resorted to attacking to protect himself...god knows what he'd been through!!

He was sent to england to be sold via a dealer...

Have been told that what they do with the more difficult ones is have someone about 15st get on them on the bogland, because most horses will find it almost impossible to get up enough 'go' to buck a rider off on that land, and even if they do go mad then they soon tire.

Its certainly an eye opener hearing some of the "methods" employed here!

Im sure there are those who put in the time and effort, and some horses are just so genuine that they cope with this sort of thing...but the ones who dont are the ones who end up getting passed pillar to post

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
With horses and life in general I suppose, you only get out what you put in.

Remember the vast majority of purchasers for the 'suitable novice, good in all ways' type of horse will have no idea what a balanced educated horse actually is or have ridden one..

You’re absolutely right I was pretty naive a week or so ago on the ISH front that’s for sure. I certainly wasn’t looking for a made horse but underestimated the lack of education.

I’m also very one horsed so it’s been quite a revelation. I feel I can hardly ride at all but pleasingly the videos were not as bad as it felt! :D

I wish I had someone with your experience to come with me it’s difficult sometimes to be objective.

Bernster

Visit site
Following the Irish breaking stories with interest too. F had been with a rider/dealer in the uk for a few weeks so I suspect had a fair amount of polishing done on him as by the time I saw him he knew how to be lunged and looked pretty good in the school. However by the time I got working with him, we lost our left turn completely!

Never fear, it came back, just took me a while due to my rickety riding. He’s been a fab purchase though despite being greener and younger than I wanted. Proper straightforward but talented ID (grey too). Hope you have masses of fun with yours OP.

dibbin

Visit site
I bought Jazz as a 6-and-a-bit year old ISH, he was 6 weeks over from Ireland at the time. He'd spent that time with a local (to me) dealer. He could walk, trot and canter, and he'd been out jumping. Green as the grass :p

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
An example of buyer beware is over there >>>>>>>>>>>>> £3950 grey mare 'Kelly' she is advertised as being in Sussex, yet the advert clearly says price includes delivery to UK and to enquire about her you have to ring an Irish telephone number. 'Kelly' is from the same dealer as the original poster purchased from. The ad pictures are all the same or similar. Just a four year old, hunted, jumps and a paragon of virtue.

Cynical, me..........never.

The same pictures as Catembi’s new one?

catembi

Visit site
Nope...this is Kelly: https://www.irishsportequine.com/product/kelly and this is mine:https://www.irishsportequine.com/product/summer-lovely-purebred-irish-draught

Oh dear, I'm starting to realise that if I start getting bucked off/run away with etc etc I am not going to be able to post on here for advice as I shall be Told So...! But my last two buys that I chose myself in person were Adrian the ISH who had immaculate sj breeding (Coevers Diamond etc etc), his half brother was 2nd in the Hickstead Derby in 2007, his full brother retired after the water jump in the same year & he passed a 5-stage & cost me £8,500 but turned out to have EPSM, & Trev who had ulcers, KS & a load of psychological issues... And this time round, I've had my first two choices fail the vet.

Off to ride shortly and we shall see what happens. I may post if it goes well...!

Michen

Visit site
My friend has a Connie from Gerty. He was green as grass and a little head shy, wouldn’t stand at mounting block etc but was safe as anything and everything you could expect for a 4 year old.

Don’t be put off by people on here enjoy your new Horse!

Nope...this is Kelly: https://www.irishsportequine.com/product/kelly and this is mine:https://www.irishsportequine.com/product/summer-lovely-purebred-irish-draught

Oh dear, I'm starting to realise that if I start getting bucked off/run away with etc etc I am not going to be able to post on here for advice as I shall be Told So...! But my last two buys that I chose myself in person were Adrian the ISH who had immaculate sj breeding (Coevers Diamond etc etc), his half brother was 2nd in the Hickstead Derby in 2007, his full brother retired after the water jump in the same year & he passed a 5-stage & cost me £8,500 but turned out to have EPSM, & Trev who had ulcers, KS & a load of psychological issues... And this time round, I've had my first two choices fail the vet.

Off to ride shortly and we shall see what happens. I may post if it goes well...!

Follysmum

Visit site
OP, she looks lovely, I wish you well.

For those thinking of buying from the same dealer, best do a search on her on here first :). Experiences are mixed.

Yes I would also my friend bought one and it was not as described sent it back got another, again not as described eventually she did get one sorted and horse is fantastic

Last edited: