Summer...ID bought unseen from Ireland...

Carrottom

Visit site
OP, your horse looks lovely and it sounds like you are prepared to take it slowly and be patient so I'm sure she will be fine.
Interesting comments on the differences between the Irish descriptions on horses for sale, I met a young horse trainer who took horses in to back and school and he said he had horses over from Ireland for a few weeks to be trained 'English' - this included standing still when required and picking up feet when asked.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Interesting comments on the differences between the Irish descriptions on horses for sale, I met a young horse trainer who took horses in to back and school and he said he had horses over from Ireland for a few weeks to be trained 'English' - this included standing still when required and picking up feet when asked.
Agree. I bought my late maxicob from Patsy Day at Stubley Hollow Farm, a renowned dealer in her time (she's now retired). She routinely imported good but very green Irish sorts. A lot of time was spent getting them used to English ways, including standing at the block, hacking out and hot shoeing before they were put up for sale.

Even so, a couple of RI's told me that that I was 'very brave' to have taken the late maxicob on, he was, err, über sensitive.

The OP is no greenhorn, so she should be fine with her new mare. The less experienced of us may be better advised not to buy unseen.

Louby

Visit site
Ooooh she looks lovely! I know of a lady who took a chance on buying a 4 yr old from down south unseen from a private buyer and she turned out to be an absolute diamond. Hope everything works out for you too. Look forward to seeing your updates x

catembi

Visit site
Oooookay, so we ventured into the indoor this eve after a competition had finished. The school is quite spooky - seating area, windows to tack room/restaurant along one side, large mirror, lots of banners, etc etc so lots to look at. Her eyes were on stalks, but she kept it together & didn't actually spook at anything. The first thing to get sorted is the tendency to get strong & tank - I had spurs & schooling whip today, so it was possible to insist on a small circle with lots of bend to break the deadlock, then soften as soon as poss. She also doesn't understand halt, so lots of halts, then move off before she fidgets.

She will NOT be a snaffle mouth for jumping, despite what her advert says. God only knows what happened to whoever took her hunting in a snaffle (as per advert). I simply cannot wait to get back on tomorrow & have another play. I really do enjoy tinkering about seeing what works & what doesn't. I don't think I'll be competing as soon as I'd hoped, but never mind - I'm enjoying myself and learning, and she does seem to be basiccally sane. There was a lot to take in this evening and it was still howling a gale, and she did very well.

Sheep

Visit site
Sounds like some really good progress, hope you can keep us updated on how she goes. It sounds like she's basically sane, but green, so it'll be brilliant to follow her progress and hopefully see you out competing soon. :)

I have to say, I know the dealer debate is interesting etc but I didn't think this thread was the time or place for it.

catembi

Visit site
Oh, thank you Sheep! Yes, it is indeed a bit late to be second guessing myself!

I have just watched some vids that o/h took and I think she might actually be quite nice once we've sorted out who's in charge :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Sounds like some really good progress, hope you can keep us updated on how she goes. It sounds like she's basically sane, but green, so it'll be brilliant to follow her progress and hopefully see you out competing soon. :)

I have to say, I know the dealer debate is interesting etc but I didn't think this thread was the time or place for it.

I can see why you say that but I take a slightly different thought patter in that thousands of novice riders/potential purchasers will read this thread and the comments regarding taking care when buying from dealers or indeed, private homes are very relevant. The mare has landed with a highly experienced owner/rider and will soon be squared up and become a cracking horse. If it sold at the advertised price, the OP took a fair risk buying unseen.

In the hands of a novice the story could be very different and very possibly the horse would be yet another sad story being passed from home to home. None of the comments have been patronising or rude, there is no need for that. The comments were factual and gave relative guidance in respect of the potential pitfalls of buying unseen or from dealers. Every horse deserves a good home yet so many find themselves in dire straits through no fault of their own.

Reading adverts is very much a case of reading what is not in the advert rather than what is. The OP's open and honest comments about what she is finding as she gets to know the horse is very educational for any novice reading this thread and contemplating buying unseen or from the same or similar dealer

A good proportion of topics on the forum are educational at every level, grass roots or highly experienced and I really hope it stays that way and this thread is a good example. A lovely new horse with a member who shares the bringing on and schooling experiences both good and not so good.

Sheep

Visit site
Thanks AA, that's a very sensible post so thanks for following up and elaborating. Can't argue with any of that :) out of context then absolutely useful to show both sides. I don't know the OP but seeing her posts, I can only dream of having the experience and knowledge of the OP (and yourself!).

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I can see why you say that but I take a slightly different thought patter in that thousands of novice riders/potential purchasers will read this thread and the comments regarding taking care when buying from dealers or indeed, private homes are very relevant. The mare has landed with a highly experienced owner/rider and will soon be squared up and become a cracking horse. If it sold at the advertised price, the OP took a fair risk buying unseen.

In the hands of a novice the story could be very different and very possibly the horse would be yet another sad story being passed from home to home. None of the comments have been patronising or rude, there is no need for that. The comments were factual and gave relative guidance in respect of the potential pitfalls of buying unseen or from dealers. Every horse deserves a good home yet so many find themselves in dire straits through no fault of their own.

Reading adverts is very much a case of reading what is not in the advert rather than what is. The OP's open and honest comments about what she is finding as she gets to know the horse is very educational for any novice reading this thread and contemplating buying unseen or from the same or similar dealer

A good proportion of topics on the forum are educational at every level, grass roots or highly experienced and I really hope it stays that way and this thread is a good example. A lovely new horse with a member who shares the bringing on and schooling experiences both good and not so good.

That gets the 2018 most sensible post award.

jaquelin

Visit site
I have bought two great horses from Gerty, but the first one was a multiple exchange til we got it right. I would rate her as a dealer, she knows everyone in Ireland and if you want a particular type, and you like traditional Irish horses, she can find them. When our horse of a lifetime colicked fatally, I spent six months looking for a replacement, and ended up back at Irish Sport Equine.
Current horses is RID bought at 3 direct from producer in Ireland. A great horse, but we have to feed him racehorse food ( turbo-flakes) to liven him up. Super safe & good all rounder.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

I have just watched some vids that o/h took and I think she might actually be quite nice once we've sorted out who's in charge :)

I’m really looking forward to hearing how you progress with Summer. Any horse you buy is a bit of a journey of discovery regardless of how you went about it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

I agree with this! I think every young horse (and many older ones) comes undone when they move homes. I mentioned on another thread, we as a Police yard borrowed a schoolmaster from a neighbouring force, and the first week he was a little devil! But, he was 18 years old and had spent 14 of them in the same Police yard, so even though we had a similar (to us) set up it was enough to change his behaviour entirely.

After a week he was back to his natural self, a true trooper. After 2 months at the end of our 'borrow', he was back in his home force and happy, but I did hear that a couple of years later he was retired to a hacking home and he came undone again!

I think Summer is doing brilliantly!

Looking at her videos I would not give up on the snaffle jump/ easy hunt just yet, once you have worked out your relationship.

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
Rode first thing, had the small indoor to ourselves (why doesn't anyone else ride...there are hundreds of horses there...) and she was faaaaaar more ridedable. No tanking - I watched back the videos & could see what I was doing wrong, so circled every time she tried to set & tank. Lots of transitions, spiralling in & out on a circle, bit of leg yield, bit of shoulder-fore...

I thought I'd bite the bullet & try canter & discovered 1) she doesn't understand the aids 2) she will only strike off on one lead 3) she isn't used to cantering in a confined space. And it was all verrrrry exciting - couple of (lighthearted) bucks & a slight wall of death but nothing that can't be sorted. I really do think that there is a reasonable dressage test in there somewhere.

OMFG I'm tired now!

kimberleigh

Visit site
Rode first thing, had the small indoor to ourselves (why doesn't anyone else ride...there are hundreds of horses there...) and she was faaaaaar more ridedable. No tanking - I watched back the videos & could see what I was doing wrong, so circled every time she tried to set & tank. Lots of transitions, spiralling in & out on a circle, bit of leg yield, bit of shoulder-fore...

I thought I'd bite the bullet & try canter & discovered 1) she doesn't understand the aids 2) she will only strike off on one lead 3) she isn't used to cantering in a confined space. And it was all verrrrry exciting - couple of (lighthearted) bucks & a slight wall of death but nothing that can't be sorted. I really do think that there is a reasonable dressage test in there somewhere.

OMFG I'm tired now!

She sounds great - like a very honest baby! You'll have tons of fun with her 😀 Im collecting my unseen TB on Saturday...5hr drive 😏

monte1

Visit site
Have really enjoyed reading this thread, she look super mare and I am sure you will have great fun with her.
Very interesting to read about the irish interpretation of backed and the english :)- That was certainly my experience when looking for my current chap three years ago. one irish dealer I spoke to pretty much asked me what I expected in buying green horse to bring on, as a green horse from ireland would be very different from the english expectation - and he was absolutely right, the one i bought I love to bits but it has certainly been a journey and learning curve.
when looking I also looked at Gerty Tynan's website and was very tempted by one I saw on there.. but I found my boy at a dealer much more locally in the end. enjoy her and look forward to more photos and updates.

Goldenstar

Visit site
An example of buyer beware is over there >>>>>>>>>>>>> £3950 grey mare 'Kelly' she is advertised as being in Sussex, yet the advert clearly says price includes delivery to UK and to enquire about her you have to ring an Irish telephone number. 'Kelly' is from the same dealer as the original poster purchased from. The ad pictures are all the same or similar. Just a four year old, hunted, jumps and a paragon of virtue.

Cynical, me..........never.

Pretty sure that ones the same seller so I would speculate that it does not suit the original buyer and is being passed on definatly not one to buy without seeing .

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Pretty sure that ones the same seller so I would speculate that it does not suit the original buyer and is being passed on definatly not one to buy without seeing .

There are half a dozen ads for Irish Sports Equine listed in East Sussex, either it’s a mistake or she advertises in other areas so that people who would normally exclude importing from Ireland see them.

McFluff

Visit site
What a great thread, and lovely horse OP. Wishing you many happy years with her.
The info about how the Irish horses are started is really interesting and explains so much about my mare. When I got her, she had no understanding of seat aids, didn’t really do stopping or turning and did not stand at the mounting block. She’s a really fast learner, and is turning into a lovely ride now, but boy did I need a good trainer to keep us on track (an early lesson was that she learnt the wrong things just as well as the right things!).

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Sounds as though she's landed in EXACTLY the right home. As AA said, I think the thread highlights potential pitfalls to people with or without experience. Clearly this could go so very wrong in the wrong hands. It will be lovely to see how she progresses :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think if you were a first time buyer, we might all be gasping for you. I do worry that so many Irish horses are sold as absolute paragons when actually, they’re nice natured but green as grass. However, you seem experienced and sensible so I don’t think you should worry about coming on here for advice if you need it. It sounds like you have the makings of a cracking horse.

I admit, I’m a little jealous that you’ve got a fresh, big horse that I would have loved back in the day. I’m looking forward to seeing you progress her.

Mule

Visit site
I think if you were a first time buyer, we might all be gasping for you. I do worry that so many Irish horses are sold as absolute paragons when actually, they’re nice natured but green as grass. However, you seem experienced and sensible so I don’t think you should worry about coming on here for advice if you need it. It sounds like you have the makings of a cracking horse.

I admit, I’m a little jealous that you’ve got a fresh, big horse that I would have loved back in the day. I’m looking forward to seeing you progress her.

The ID has got very popular with Dutch dealers. They're weight carriers, calm and the Dutch put the flatwork on them. It will be a while before the average Irish rider

Mule

Visit site
I think it will be awhile before the average Irish person who rides just to hunt or showjump embraces dressage training. Perhaps if we got better at it, qualified a team for international events etc, it would become more high profile.

Last edited:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

When I was in England I lost count of the number of clients who told me they had bought a lovely "quiet" made Irish hunter, often spending quite a lot of money in the process ..... first thing I did was quarantine, because you never knew what they had picked up on the boat, then top to toe general health checks and treatment and vaccinations, then usually teach them to stand to be mounted (instead of being vaulted on as they walked out of the yard), then general manners and schooling, and by the time they had had a bit of work, a bit of food, had got over any minor health niggles and the trauma of travelling, they would be really quite perky and lively, and not "quiet" at all :D

There are a few people here in Ireland now that are putting a bit more time and trouble into producing youngsters, but there are plenty still that I wouldn't take a gift horse from. And there are still too many breeders who leave their youngstock out on ragwort infested bogs for the first three years, with no health care at all, no foot care, and have some fairly rough handling methods.

It really is a buyer beware situation, and as others have said, not something for an inexperienced horseperson to venture into.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I see a lot of Irish purchases go wrong , but of course purchases from everywhere go wrong .
It’s a huge risk to buy a horse unseen particularity as you will be trusting an unknown vet to vet a horse you have not had your own hands over .
I loved the horse OP has chosen I would have bought it for a man to hunt I would never have picked it for me .
I would expect it to know nothing but not to have a lot nasty done to her her attitude looks very straight forward I am so looking forward to following her progress .
A great many Irish hunters are not nearly as quiet when they get to England there’s lots of reasons for that .

Mule

Visit site
I see a lot of Irish purchases go wrong , but of course purchases from everywhere go wrong .
It’s a huge risk to buy a horse unseen particularity as you will be trusting an unknown vet to vet a horse you have not had your own hands over .
I loved the horse OP has chosen I would have bought it for a man to hunt I would never have picked it for me .
I would expect it to know nothing but not to have a lot nasty done to her her attitude looks very straight forward I am so looking forward to following her progress .
A great many Irish hunters are not nearly as quiet when they get to England there’s lots of reasons for that .

Kinda off topic but about people not taking the time to train properly. When I first got my horse he was afraid to jump ditches. His previous owner used to event him and would gallop him over them to get him over them.
I wasn't going to take my life in my hands doing that so I taught him to lunge over them, on his own and then with a rider on. It took no time and he couldn't care less about them now. I don't know why some people don't take the time to do these things properly.

Last edited:

Floxie

Visit site
I'm enjoying the conversation but I would like to take a moment to point out that there are not nearly enough photographs in this thread...

Mule

Visit site
I'm enjoying the conversation but I would like to take a moment to point out that there are not nearly enough photographs in this thread...

This is the grey that wouldn't jump a ditch. He came 6th in the riding club national eventing championships last year.
adbvas.jpg

Would have been 4th if I hadn't panicked in the showjumping and got time faults :D

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Haha rowreach, very pertinent points! I remember trying an Irish youngster over here (with a dealer who I've since seen a lot of bad comments about!) and he went sweetly for him but I couldn't get it to go left or right or canter! Very embarrassing.

Agree with floxie, sadly lacking in pictures but I find it painful to post pics so I don't blame the OP !

eggs

Visit site
Haha rowreach, very pertinent points! I remember trying an Irish youngster over here (with a dealer who I've since seen a lot of bad comments about!) and he went sweetly for him but I couldn't get it to go left or right or canter! Very embarrassing.

Agree with floxie, sadly lacking in pictures but I find it painful to post pics so I don't blame the OP !

Glad it's not just me. Some years ago I ended up at an Irish dealers in the UK (that wasn't made clear when I phoned up about the horse but that is a different story) to look at a horse that I was assured would be suitable for my very novice husband. Horse went OK for the rider but when I got on I found I had no brakes, no steering and no accelerator. I decided not to embarrass myself by trying to get the horse to canter!

When I got off the horse and advised my husband that it wasn't the one for him and not to get on it I got a mouthful of abuse from the dealer.