Summer...ID bought unseen from Ireland...

catembi

Visit site
Okay, I will try to get some more pictures... but I need o/h to do so!

Bernster, mine doesn't understand canter either. I have to admit to being mildly baffled - she looked fine in the sale video & was cantering & jumping with no issue. Not planning on jumping yet as the balance simply isn't there. Left canter - strikeoff doesn't exist. Right canter - v unbalanced and wall of death. To be fair, Trev was as bad when I first got him.

Up shortly to have a ride. I will see if o/h will take pictures, but he finds it all tremendously boring.

catembi

Visit site
Oh good, another one with no brakes, steering or canter! Not just me! TBH I'm not that worried as I quite like the tinkering about stage.

catembi

Visit site
Haha, back from riding, no tanking today! We have just about installed a stride or two of leg yield and the same of shoulder fore which is just enough to stop her getting strong & fixed. Also managed 3 canter trans on each rein without a wall of death. Yay! Didn't do more as didn't want to make an issue of it.

We were outside today, so much to look at, a digger, tons of lorries, piles of building materials, other horses working in other arenas... Her eyes are on stalks but she never actually reacts, which is nice :)

Photos will follow, if I can figure out FB...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Does the OH know the full story yet, Catembi?!

Beau was the same when I first got him, no clue about canter, would just trot faster and faster. He certainly didn’t know about the canter signal of sliding the leg, I honestly don’t think any Irish horse is taught this! Squeeze if you wanna go faster was my thing, probably the way most of us learnt. Corners were a big no no, he would follow the wall of the school for balance, but otherwise only did straight lines, typical of a horse who has been hunted over ditches but never schooled in subtleties. I had to do extreme looking/leaning even in the direction I wanted to go. Looking a5 his passport, he comes from a very quiet seaside area and had never seen traffic (or Shetlands, that was fun finding this out!)

I think you’re going to have great fun teaching this horse, Catembi. Yes to lots of pictures, please.

Facebook, open picture, click copy, paste between this with no spaces.

catembi

Visit site
PaddyMonty, I am trying to pin down a somewhat elusive dressage trainer. If no joy, I will get the school availability for the weekend when I go up later and we will see what we can arrange.

Must remember to book the vet later for teeth as I think there may be something going on there.

buddylove

Visit site
Interesting about the teeth. My mare came over from Ireland in March and spent a little too much time on her back legs. My very good EDT came to have a look and found someone had gone a little power tool crazy in her mouth and exposed nerves on one tooth.
Swapping to a happy mouth bit whilst the tooth recovers has made a world of difference.
ka5PKYO

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
Sold as 16.1. My last two were 16.1 so I know what that feels like. Judging by the height when jumping off, I’d guess 16.3...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The reputable English dealer in Irish imports that I mentioned upthread always gave her new arrivals a basic mot before starting work on 'englishifying' them. Teeth definitely, also feet and backs. They'd have a month off chilling in the field whilst this was all done, then be brought in to start the assessing/polishing up for sale.

Your new mare is the sort she'd have dealt in :).

catembi

Visit site
O/h actually finds it all quite exciting... He is a former economist, so very, very sensible & has hobbies like reading The Economist & doing cryptic crosswords. He has said that he envies people who have an all-consuming passion for things as that's something he's never really felt. There is literally *nothing* beyond household bills that he wants to spend money on.

I doubt if Summer has ever seen the dentist. There is a sudden, occasional head-throw which makes me suspicious. Trev had dental issues that resulted in an intermittent extreme reaction to the rein. We will see.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The reputable English dealer in Irish imports that I mentioned upthread always gave her new arrivals a basic mot before starting work on 'englishifying' them. Teeth definitely, also feet and backs. They'd have a month off chilling in the field whilst this was all done, then be brought in to start the assessing/polishing up for sale.

Your new mare is the sort she'd have dealt in :).

Yes, much as I said up there ^^^ somewhere :)

gunnergundog

Visit site
Bernster, mine doesn't understand canter either. I have to admit to being mildly baffled - she looked fine in the sale video & was cantering & jumping with no issue. Not planning on jumping yet as the balance simply isn't there. Left canter - strikeoff doesn't exist. Right canter - v unbalanced and wall of death. .

Gerty deals primarily in young, raw and unbalanced horses and she is a master of showing them off in the best possible light. :) Hence, all cantering and jumping is shown in a straight line only. You never see a horse jumping a full course of SJs as that would involve turns and changes of direction etc etc. There is one shot of yours in the SJ arena where she is on a slight curve going around a couple of jumps, but those jump wings will have given her support, kept her upright and prevented 'the wall of death'.

Similarly, on the flat, the paces are only ever shown in a straight line - no 20m circles! Nor do you ever see any upward transitions. The editing of the final videos Gerty produces is quite clever and they always follow the same formula. :)

gunnergundog

Visit site
I doubt if Summer has ever seen the dentist. There is a sudden, occasional head-throw which makes me suspicious. Trev had dental issues that resulted in an intermittent extreme reaction to the rein. We will see.

A horse a friend bought from Gerty a couple of years back turned out to have quite severe dental problems. None of this was evident on the sales video, BUT a lot of the Irish dealer riders tend to ride with a 'barely there' contact and a much longer rein than most over here. If you watch the young girl on Summer's video, she is no idiot, has good balance and barely touches her mouth at all whilst allowing her to keep her neck extended at all times.

The issues with my friends horse only became apparent when she started taking up a contact and asking the horse to accept the bit in a prelim type way of going.

Mule

Visit site
Gerty deals primarily in young, raw and unbalanced horses and she is a master of showing them off in the best possible light. :) Hence, all cantering and jumping is shown in a straight line only. You never see a horse jumping a full course of SJs as that would involve turns and changes of direction etc etc. There is one shot of yours in the SJ arena where she is on a slight curve going around a couple of jumps, but those jump wings will have given her support, kept her upright and prevented 'the wall of death'.

Similarly, on the flat, the paces are only ever shown in a straight line - no 20m circles! Nor do you ever see any upward transitions. The editing of the final videos Gerty produces is quite clever and they always follow the same formula. :)

I had one like this - my avatar. Nothing to do with Gerty. He competed successfully at BE 100 level (came in the top 5 places multiple times) with his former owner.

However when I got him I got plenty of experience of the wall of death!

His former owner held him together with strong legs and pulling hands. When I let his mouth go he couldn't hold himself up :eek3: So both horse and I had to get dressage lessons. He's great now.

The thing is, he and his former owner got some pretty good dressage scores (eventing dressage).
So did the judges not know what they were looking at? Horse had head down and didn't open mouth because of a tight flash. The rider obviously did accurate tests but the judges mustn't have noticed the tension. Makes you think...