T/O after 5 months - for those who don't T/O in the winter

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I thought you said you hadn't trawled through all the posts so how would you know, or know what advice/suggestions had been suggested to the OP then?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
To be honest Ffion most people merge into one on this thread....unfortunately. Little help to anyone, especially the OP.

You are standing out in a class all of your own.

I think if you will read one of AC14's latest posts you will see she has now had the information from her vet that the horse could live out 24/7 without its legs falling off. This is good news, it could help the horse live a sounder life. That seems like a positive result to me.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Right, obviously you have quality peer reviewed statistical evidence for this information.

You're a right charmer aren't you, which stone did you crawl out from?

Sorry JFTD turns out I am older than you thought too, and likely fatter (you know I know most things so we can get over that bit at least) will you still have me?

Age and weight I can get over. The trout bit is concerning. Does this mean our relationship will have to be conducted in a river? I like water, but I don't have gills...

I do wonder how insulting you is helpful to the OP though. I suspect hypopit misspelled their name when they signed up ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Is single an insult too now?

'cos last time I checked, women are allowed to be independent people who aren't defined in their success by their marital status. This is 2016, not 1816, y'know ;)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Well if we are talking about how much of us is available to go around, then I could probably eat JFTD and it not make a noticeable difference to how much of me there is :lol: Any takers? :lol:

Moomin1

Visit site
Whilst I've not always agreed with OP's approach to SOME things, I cannot help but cringe when I see EVERY thread of hers descend into the same childish bullying from so called 'intellectual' posters, It really is sad.

jokadoka

Visit site
Whilst I've not always agreed with OP's approach to SOME things, I cannot help but cringe when I see EVERY thread of hers descend into the same childish bullying from so called 'intellectual' posters, It really is sad.

Agreed

Pinkvboots

Visit site

this thread certainly has taken a funny turn the last two pages are quite bizarre

ester

Visit site
I mostly just get frustrated that applecart seems to skip over the more key points that seem blatantly obvious to everyone else.
I never did get an actual answer on her not believing that lack of movement can have a detrimental effect on soft tissues which really was the key point people were trying to make given the horse's history of injury.

I also think it is pretty obvious to see who has been the most childish and bullying. I'm pretty unfailingly polite despite my frustrations and at least no one has had to ban me throughout the ridiculous amount of posts I have.

I'm not sure I like so-called 'intellectual' :p. I am an intellectual, I rely on my intellect to be able to do life at all, I'd be completely stuffed without it. :eek3:

The last two pages are quite bizarre because someone with an alternative name decided that being single was an insult and that I was a know-it-all fat old trout while apologising to AC. It is pretty hard to bring it back up from that!

X

xspiralx

I mostly just get frustrated that applecart seems to skip over the more key points that seem blatantly obvious to everyone else.
I never did get an actual answer on her not believing that lack of movement can have a detrimental effect on soft tissues which really was the key point people were trying to make given the horse's history of injury.

I just don't understand what you get out of it though. If you find her so frustrating, why do you continue to post on her threads and try to force her into agreeing with you - you know already that she isn't going to listen.

There are many people on this forum and in real life whose approach I don't agree with. If asked for advice I would give it, but then it's up to the individual whether to take it or not - none of my business. I certainly wouldn't continue to bash them over the head with my unwanted advice, over and over again - particularly when it wasn't even asked for to begin with. That's when it starts to verge into bullying.

Agree or not with the OPs approach, she clearly cares a lot about her horse and looks after him well. There are many many people who abuse and neglect their animals - those would be the ones I would save my contempt for.

ester

Visit site
Honestly, at times it isn't good for me, I don't get anything 'out of it' I guess when you always have the horse's best interests at heart and think even a small change might make a big difference (which is why you see me hanging out with their feet so much ;) ) it makes it even trickier. I struggle if I don't think people have understood why I have said so tend to try and reiterate it in a different way which can make it seem like I am banging on about the same issue. I am working on it but it has taken me a long time to work out quite what goes on.
You know that 'wait a minute someone is wrong on the internet' meme, yeah that ;). and the more factual the actual answer the worse I am - I've had a few issues with people's inability to understand the highway code recently, when it is down there, in black and white. However this is only limited to the information I actually have or know to be correct, hence I wouldn't state the grass wasn't green, I might give you a more complex answer though ;).

Applecart frequently asks for advice and people always try to give it even though it is frequently turned down and if a more holistic view is taken that is always wrong. Even though I would have thought one could have predicted the response to declaring a rehabbing horse still in walk and trot was going on a fun ride) If people ask I will try and help from what I know, it is only because I like to try and help and I have made more friends than enemies that way. I have posted on her other threads on different topics without animosity. I certainly don't hold her in any sort of contempt.

Neversaydie

Undecided
Visit site
I too have noticed on here, as a lurker, that some posters do have a tendency to keep trying to get responses out of others for their own amusement or some sort of agenda, even if the poster they are targeting isn't responding or clearly not reading their posts and little digs. Why not just pop them on ignore instead of trying to use a perceived intellectual dominance to get them to respond in a negative way? Does it give some sort of satisfaction to have someone upset because you have tried to browbeat them over a post on a forum?

I enjoy the information this forum has at times and the way threads can hilariously turn off topic, but this type of baiting does waste what could be a good thread.

HashRouge

Visit site
Honestly, at times it isn't good for me, I don't get anything 'out of it' I guess when you always have the horse's best interests at heart and think even a small change might make a big difference (which is why you see me hanging out with their feet so much ;) ) it makes it even trickier. I struggle if I don't think people have understood why I have said so tend to try and reiterate it in a different way which can make it seem like I am banging on about the same issue. I am working on it but it has taken me a long time to work out quite what goes on.
You know that 'wait a minute someone is wrong on the internet' meme, yeah that ;). and the more factual the actual answer the worse I am - I've had a few issues with people's inability to understand the highway code recently, when it is down there, in black and white. However this is only limited to the information I actually have or know to be correct, hence I wouldn't state the grass wasn't green, I might give you a more complex answer though ;).

Applecart frequently asks for advice and people always try to give it even though it is frequently turned down and if a more holistic view is taken that is always wrong. Even though I would have thought one could have predicted the response to declaring a rehabbing horse still in walk and trot was going on a fun ride) If people ask I will try and help from what I know, it is only because I like to try and help and I have made more friends than enemies that way. I have posted on her other threads on different topics without animosity. I certainly don't hold her in any sort of contempt.

But I think the point is that the advice she asked for at the start of this thread was very specific, yet most people didn't answer her question at all and just insulted the way she keeps her horse. For what it's worth, I agree with you completely regarding the best way to keep horses - I'd have a nervous breakdown if I had to keep my own mare in for 4 months. But I have also worked with competition horses who didn't get that much turnout over winter and, though it may not be ideal, I don't think it's quite the death sentence it has been made out to be on this thread (okay, I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift!).

Also, I can't help thinking your approach might be somewhat counter-productive...it's making AC feel like she has to defend the way she keeps her horse, rather than making her see your point of view.

ester

Visit site
Yes I struggle a bit because as far as I am concerned we are all learning, I read as much/more than a type and we all know it is generally impossible to keep our horses quite the way we like but usually able to recognise the downfalls and compromises of each scenario. I guess it is was the lack of recognition that gets to me! That and the suggestion that everyone that turns out in winter does so into some mud pit. That is enough to get anyone's back up and a need to show how that isn't the case, cue pics!

I have crap social communication skills in real life let alone behind a screen and come from a group of people who are inflicted with the ability to 'bang on a bit' about stuff no one else is interested in or cares about :) as I said, working on it. I can look at it in reflection now and spot where I go wrong but at the time not so much!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

This ^^

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I just don't understand what you get out of it though. If you find her so frustrating, why do you continue to post on her threads and try to force her into agreeing with you - you know already that she isn't going to listen.

There are many people on this forum and in real life whose approach I don't agree with. If asked for advice I would give it, but then it's up to the individual whether to take it or not - none of my business. I certainly wouldn't continue to bash them over the head with my unwanted advice, over and over again - particularly when it wasn't even asked for to begin with. That's when it starts to verge into bullying.

Agree or not with the OPs approach, she clearly cares a lot about her horse and looks after him well. There are many many people who abuse and neglect their animals - those would be the ones I would save my contempt for.

Well said.

ester

Visit site
Well I hope I have answered some of those points.
Though I still don't see what is wrong with being an intellectual, so-called or not!

JustKickOn

Visit site
OK, so everyone has had their say, so now why not turn things around and try and HELP the OP in a practical way ? :)

A number of people have mentioned or insinuated that they know of yards or could find yards better than that the OP is on, so come on, I challenge you, list them! People on here are great at sleuthing out trolls so lets sleuth out some new yards for her , eh? :)

Make it easy for the OP who has obviously got a lot going on in life - you should be able to deduce her requirements from the various posts above (ie environs of Solihull, 25 mins drive from centre, assisted/part livery, reasonable cost, good surface and hacking) then you can add on the horses requirements as you have discussed above - oh, and reasonable availability too! (No three year waiting lists!)

Will be interested to see what is proposed.

Off the top of my head, 20-30 mins from Solihull are.. I will probably think of more if I did a quick Google search and thought a bit more about where friends keep theirs.

Swallowfield Equestrian in Lapworth - their standard of care is impeccable! Brilliant arenas and I have always seen horses out there even in the winter time

Sovereign Horses in Claverdon - Jake is great and have heard wonderful things about them

CMC Equine in Chadwick End - Claire is full of knowledge and will do all she can to help. If Rachel and Mitch still worth there, they are super too.

Jemma Bentley Dressage/ Wootton Hill Farm in Hill Wootton - Jemma is really lovely and does her best to accommodate individual horses needs. Fields rarely seem to get muddy. Indoor and outdoor arena plus a boundary ride bordering the river and good hacking routes

Meadow View Stables in Burton Green - fab hacking nearby on a bridle way, they have a lovely arena there with mirrors. No one on site though but have heard good things all the same

Might be worth contact Sam Dewar or James McCullough too to see if they have space on their yards.
Worth seeing if you can get hold of contact details for John Townsend in Claverdon if he is still there, Irish chap and really lovely, did have stables, arena and good hacking round the area.

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk

Got to agree with this. Some awful things have been said to the OP in other threads. There are ways of making suggestions if you don't agree with someone without being glib, smug or rude. For what it's worth I agree that you need to take a holistic view of your horse management but it's rare for everything to be spot on 100% of the time. My yard has had very limited turnout for a few months with awful mud but I accept that there are always compromises. It isn't easy to find the perfect set up and sometimes you have to make the best of what you have available.

Moomin1

Visit site
Well I hope I have answered some of those points.
Though I still don't see what is wrong with being an intellectual, so-called or not!

In fairness Ester, it wasn't only you I meant. There are certain posters (and I don't actually mean you here) that always have a good old laugh and muck about at the expense of the OP's feelings, whilst banding about their so called intellect at the same time.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sorry AC... really did not mean to offend you at all, was actually criticising yards that insist on keeping too many horses with no T/O.

Can't help as I don't know the area but really hope you find something.