Taught Mr G to rear on command in-hand :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
My horse can rear all by himself on the lunge, learnt that when once I was lungeing him, the lunge line clip broke (whilst I was lungeing in our 6 acre field, something I have done many times) and he pegged off :rolleyes:

I got him back, and everytime he got to the point on the circle where he 'escaped' he reared, took me the whole session (half an hour) to get that neat 'trick' out of him ;)

ClassicG&T

Visit site
i can understand you wanting to teach your horse tricks on command, but maybe kissing or something instead of rearing? rearing on command can turn into rearing whenever the horse damn well likes, seen it too many times.
Tricks like these where it could turn dangerous in inexperienced hands are best left to pros eg Spanish Riding school.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think there is a difference in the methods of training that the OP and JFTD both use (from looking at video and pics). Flashing a lunge whip in front of your horse, along with flicking the lunge line doesn't seem like a great idea tbh :eek:

I don't even own a lunge whip? :confused: The schooling whip doesn't go near the horse other than to touch his legs and give the aid to move them - it's an extension of my arm...

(mine won't ever be for sale, btw)

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
If he reared as a vice when you first got him, and you taught him to do it only on command so you could stop him doing it I would understand your motives. But I suspect this isn't the case. He kicked out at you at the end of the vid, and not only did you step back but you went on to reward him with a treat, can you not see where this will lead?

TigerTail

Visit site
I've read on here for ages but was actually compelled to join cos of this video!

I have nothing against teaching tricks provided you know what you're doing and you have your TIMING spotless. OP you do not. And as has been so bluntly pointed out its fairly silly to play with fire unless you're the one holding the matches....

If you've got a horse that does these things already sometimes teaching a cue and rewarding for doing it on cue and ignoring the other times works as a tool to take the weapon factor away from the horse.

OP what you actually did, if you watch the video back critically, is to reward him kicking out, not the rear. Instead of him standing side on to you and you going to him, id be asking him to come to me, in a controlled manner, for the reward - establishing you as boss as you are moving his feet not vica versa.

Your timing needs to be much much quicker so he connects the
command -> rear -> reward as the sequence not you messing about with the rope, looking at the cameraman then nearly getting kicked before giving him a treat. NEVER EVER give him a treat for lashing out with his hindlegs!!!

I look forward to seeing the progress!

PS wear a hat!!!

rockysmum

Visit site
I apologies to anyone who does not agree with me doing this with my horse, but in the end he is my horse, and if this causes problems, it is down to my stupidity. Feel free to critise me all you like and tell me how stupid and dangerous this is, but at the end of the day he is my horse, and my choice with what to do with him. So sorry if you do not agree!

I agree, its your horse, do what you like.

BUT if you ever get fed up of him, or cant afford him, or any other reason why you need to move him on. Please dont.

Apart from a very limited market of people who think this is clever, your horse will be unsaleable.

Be prepared to have him PTS if no-one with similar ideas to yourself wants him.

I hope for his sake you can give him a home for life because no-one else will want to.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have no problem with a horse being taught to rear on command, safely and using a command that's not easy to mistakenly give. but the way Mr G has his bum tucked in while kicking out at you should tell you that he's not happy or at all sure what you are about.

Natz88

Visit site
Sorry but as the owner of a rearer I sincerely advise you to stop now and hope your horse forgets it, because rearing is dangerous. Not a trick but dangerous to all around the horse.
FDC

I am with this I am the owner of a rearer (or he was a rearer) took me at least 2yrs to get him out of it. I am not judging you as he is your horse so it's up to you what you do with him, but do be careful. If your goign to carry on with it at least wear a hat...

JFTDWS

Visit site
This!
Now JFTD says they won't learn to do without he command

Actually I didn't say that - plenty of horses learn to do it without any form of input from their trainers. What I mean is that by teaching them to do it on command, it is a logical progression to teach them not to do it on command.

My horses are definitely smart enough to differentiate between being asked to do something (and therefore being rewarded) and not being asked to do it (when they don't expect a reward!)...

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I don't even own a lunge whip? :confused: The schooling whip doesn't go near the horse other than to touch his legs and give the aid to move them - it's an extension of my arm...

(mine won't ever be for sale, btw)

I wasn't suggesting you did :) The rears you posted pics of seem to be controlled, under command rears, whereas the OPs seems to be a scared 'get that whip outta my face rear' - :(

I was trying to point out a difference, obviously not very well! :)

Enfys

Visit site
OP clearly states it is being taught as a trick. Yes, I read that, we are going to have to agree to disagree here I think

It won't be so funny when he does it in the field in a moment of excitement, boots her in the head No, indeed it would not, but can't any horse go up or lash out at times of excitement, stress? and then has to be sold on as a rearer. No responsible person that has trained a horse - to do anything - sells it on without an instruction manual as it were. It doesn't make them unsellable

3Beasties

Visit site
I've read on here for ages but was actually compelled to join cos of this video!

I have nothing against teaching tricks provided you know what you're doing and you have your TIMING spotless. OP you do not. And as has been so bluntly pointed out its fairly silly to play with fire unless you're the one holding the matches....

If you've got a horse that does these things already sometimes teaching a cue and rewarding for doing it on cue and ignoring the other times works as a tool to take the weapon factor away from the horse.

OP what you actually did, if you watch the video back critically, is to reward him kicking out, not the rear. Instead of him standing side on to you and you going to him, id be asking him to come to me, in a controlled manner, for the reward - establishing you as boss as you are moving his feet not vica versa.

Your timing needs to be much much quicker so he connects the
command -> rear -> reward as the sequence not you messing about with the rope, looking at the cameraman then nearly getting kicked before giving him a treat. NEVER EVER give him a treat for lashing out with his hindlegs!!!

I look forward to seeing the progress!

PS wear a hat!!!

Ditto! (Great first post btw, welcome to the forum! :) )

I have no problem with you teaching him to rear if that's what you want to do but as Tiger Tail said you rewarded him for kicking out at you. Have a treat ready in your hand to reward him after the rear and please wear a hat, you were so lucky that you didn't get you kicked in the face in that vid :(

ETA - Just because the OP posts something that you don't agree with it DOESN'T mean she is a troll, think some of you are a bit confused as to what a troll is!

And also just because the horse is being trained to rear on command it does not make it unsellable or only worth meat money :rolleyes: Plenty of horses rear out of sheer excitement/naughtiness but it doesn't mean they should be PTS!

Last edited:

jessikaGinger

Visit site
i wouldnt usually comment on these kind of posts

but when i was younger a friend of mine had taught hers to rear, he was brill at it never went up too high never got giddy
until one day he lost his footing went over banged his head on a fence post blood coming from every hole possible vet came bang bang he was dead

Is it really worth it for your own entertainment?

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
well whatever floats your boat. I don't really know what the benefit would be though. Also if you have to ever part company with him then it could be his downfall. You might tell the next person about his clever trick but they might forget to tell the person after that and then there is a problem, he won't be a pony with a party trick, he'll be a rearer! I am a wee bit concerned that when you bent down to pick the bottle off the floor, Mr G kicked out at you. That didn't look like too much of a playful thing to me and then if you actually watch carefully, he steps his hind leg towards you again an and only changes his mind when he notices that you have a treat and it distracts him. It is very subtle but horses body language pretty much is. If he is so quick to learn, perhaps he has just learned to kick at you too.

ets Puppy, that must have made your blood run cold!

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Not only that, my horse can do the fandango!!!!

Yeah, beat that!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

I taught my highland to Gay Gordon with me. No joke.

I wasn't suggesting you did :) The rears you posted pics of seem to be controlled, under command rears, whereas the OPs seems to be a scared 'get that whip outta my face rear' - :(

I was trying to point out a difference, obviously not very well! :)

I see, I re-read your post and I see what you mean - I thought you meant we were both using the same method of waving whips and lunge lines (I do most of my training with the highland competely loose in the field like the photo below, which is rubbish 'cos I was trying to use the timer on my camera, but illustrates my point that he isn't stressed by my request - he chooses to be there!). I misunderstood 'cos I'm having a thick evening :D

IMG_9530.jpg

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Send him round here, my stairs need doing! Well you are at it don't suppose you could teach him to clean ovens? Mine is getting done on Friday but if your pone can do it I'd be grateful!
FDC

Hmmm.... ovens.... tricky :rolleyes:

geddit???

:D:D:D:D:D

Oh dear, ok, que for my bedtime methinks... night all and god bless.

Mancha

Visit site
I think your time would be much better spent trying to improve the bond that you and your horse have. He doesn't look like a happy horse to me :eek:
I appreciate it's only a short video clip, but i would be mortified if i thought my horse had deliberately tried to kick me in the head, because yours did!