Terrible names

Caol Ila

Visit site
Could be worse.

"Mike Hunt... Who wants to see Mike Hunt in action this afternoon?"

It is worse. When OH was in high school, their regular bus driver was called Mike Hunt. The guy could have called himself Michael, Mick, Mickey, but he didn't. As you can imagine, all these teenagers found this infinitely amusing. Apparently, he took early retirement. I bet.

J&S

Visit site
"Some people don't do their research do they? Mother's little helper was the valium dished out to depressed/bored housewives in the 60's which gave rise to some severe addictions."

Being of this generation....... i think it was librium, not valium!!!

Mustard

Visit site
I have a little Welsh A called Toad. His registered name is Windwillow Kimble, and windwillow plus his big dark eyes took us to Toad.

On human names, I came across a Wayne Kerr years ago.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
We went to view a horse who was called 'Grey Mare' which I thought rather sad. She was a very nondescript horse..

Made me think of the song by Don Maclean ' The More You Pay ' ,
( which we always knew as ' The Grey Mare ' ) . Makes me cry every single time I hear it - saddest song ever written about a horse ??

Last edited:

Cloball

Visit site
It was benzedrine first then valium and librium... Erm liberally prescribed. Drug use is quite geographical maybe librium was favoured where you were.
"Some people don't do their research do they? Mother's little helper was the valium dished out to depressed/bored housewives in the 60's which gave rise to some severe addictions."

Scarlett

Visit site
My Appy is called Pinky. Passport name Euphoria. Out of a mare called Irish Twinkle who was known as Purdy. All terrible names!!!
I had a Pinky. She was an exracer and her racing name was Pinky too. I didn't think I'd keep her so I never changed it, and by the time I'd admitted that I wasn't letting her go it was to late to change it.

[153312]

Visit site

It was..... Although I only know that can watching The Queen's Gambit ?

Although i do know that Valium's LD50 is really high, more than double that of librium (so librium overdose is a lot more likely), and valium is considered moderately less addictive as its withdrawal symptoms aren't as extreme or unpleasant.

FFAQ

Visit site
Our dog has become known as Winky. Her name is Rosie, but my husband started calling her stinky winky because she used to love rolling in anything nasty, and then it got shortened to Winky and it's unfortunately stuck ?

Caol Ila

Visit site
A friend got a nameless weanling, and we started calling him "Weensie." His owner was struggling to choose or commit to a name, and it stuck. For a really long time. And he was a warmblood, so not that weensie after a while. When she finished uni and moved states (and thereby yards), she finally gave him a real name because yeah, she didn't want him to be "Weensie" forever. I think the horse was about three by then.

chaps89

Visit site
My mares registered name was downright odd - Son Sweet Pea ?
Maybe if she’d been a colt/gelding? But she was definitley a mare ?
Apparently she was named Mary before I had her (the lady who I bought her from changed it) it wouldn’t have suited her one bit!

Lyle

Visit site
Had an ex racehorse, who's dam had the word Petite in her name. He was called, Son of Petite. I renamed him Sir Real :cool:

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Had a Dutch horse whose passported name was Tiet Over - I believe that tiet means teat ? which seemed odd!

Yes, it does mean "titty" in colloquial. In several dialects it also means "time". Seems more logical, because "titty over" doesn't mean anything. Though I wouldn't want to name my horse "Time Over" either.

jumbyjack

Visit site
My cob came as Dobbin, that's her on my avatar, she certainly did not match the name as she would chase anyone out of her field. A 15·2 massive cob charging towards you was not funny!