The agility thread

MurphysMinder

Visit site
A4A Bounce and Squeak for us yesterday. Zig was 1st in beginners agility , yet again with 5 faults- the brat, this time the weaves. 2nd in Novice Steeplechase, E'd in the jumping for putting in a round the back that wasn't needed. Very proud of him in the team, I somehow managed to end up in a team with 2 x grade 7s, one of which is a Champion, both of which have competed for GB (no pressure at all 🙄) . Zig was clear in the individual round and picked up just 5 faults in the relay which was a really tricky course which saw a lot of dogs eliminated including one of my team mates. I think our team ended up 3rd overall.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
It continues to amaze me how I can get disoriented in a 1-3 with a circular pattern, yet have no problem knowing where I am in a more complex 3-5 course 🤣
I totally get it! Anything where you do the same tunnel more than once confuses the hell out of me 🙄 At the last show I came out of the ring and someone said to me...." you were saying the jumping numbers" I replied yes or I get lost! 😂 and its true. I am not your standard agility handler 😂😂 heaven forbid that I forget the sports bra and have to contend with the GGs jumping about too. 😬😬 Unique....that's me 😁

sarah.oxford

Visit site
I totally get it! Anything where you do the same tunnel more than once confuses the hell out of me 🙄 At the last show I came out of the ring and someone said to me...." you were saying the jumping numbers" I replied yes or I get lost! 😂 and its true. I am not your standard agility handler 😂😂 heaven forbid that I forget the sports bra and have to contend with the GGs jumping about too. 😬😬 Unique....that's me 😁

Tomorrow is our last day as a G3 so I guess this problem will solve itself.
I had a ridiculous situation in 1-3 jumping where I became completely lost after a front cross.
It feels easier when there are more cues needed somehow. It encourages more positively from me where as I tend to get a bit lazy on a more straightforward course.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
It continues to amaze me how I can get disoriented in a 1-3 with a circular pattern, yet have no problem knowing where I am in a more complex 3-5 course 🤣
Totally get the circular course thing, I can never remember how many times I’ve done a loop . Last year I called Zig off a jump to do a circle, I should have listened to him, I’d put in an extra one 🤦‍♀️

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Last training session last night before our first show on Saturday and Sunday 😄 trainer said as long as he stays in the arena and kind of does the course it will be a win! We are doing anysize at Wigton is anyone else going?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Thrilled with my little girl yesterday at the Country Shows Agility near Baginton. The jumping courses were more like a steeplechase and basically went right round the outside of the ring with one turn across the middle then back round the outside. No way I could run round it but as there was a tunnel in it I knew mine would drive on to that so was able to just send her round while I stayed near the middle. She was clear in the C1-3 and the judge came over to complement me on the remote handling. Felt brilliant, unplaced 5th. All went to pot in the agility as that was a very handly course and she was still expecting to drive on so ignoring me. The buzz from that one class was worth more than any prizes.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
A win for each dog today. Arthur winning 1-3 jumping and lyl winning veterans (age 13).
Back to Agility Vision on Friday, our first time as a Grade 4.
Prepared for a dip in form, and I'm in no hurry to move up. We've come a long way while we've been in G3 and it's all a learning curve, as this is the first dog I've run at kc. I was always a uka/a4a person till last year.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Thrilled with my little girl yesterday at the Country Shows Agility near Baginton. The jumping courses were more like a steeplechase and basically went right round the outside of the ring with one turn across the middle then back round the outside. No way I could run round it but as there was a tunnel in it I knew mine would drive on to that so was able to just send her round while I stayed near the middle. She was clear in the C1-3 and the judge came over to complement me on the remote handling. Felt brilliant, unplaced 5th. All went to pot in the agility as that was a very handly course and she was still expecting to drive on so ignoring me. The buzz from that one class was worth more than any prizes.

Sounds really positive! Well done 👏

Spotherisk

Visit site
I need to buy some jumps for use at home, I have five secondhand wooden ones which are all dying at once!

Looking at what’s out there I’d prefer not wood, as I can leave mine out all the time. Do I spend about £100 per pair of wings made of plastic or ali from somewhere like Galician, or do I go for four sets of stick in the ground ones from Jump 4 joy for £100 for all four? What do you all have, and recommend (or not).

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I need to buy some jumps for use at home, I have five secondhand wooden ones which are all dying at once!

Looking at what’s out there I’d prefer not wood, as I can leave mine out all the time. Do I spend about £100 per pair of wings made of plastic or ali from somewhere like Galician, or do I go for four sets of stick in the ground ones from Jump 4 joy for £100 for all four? What do you all have, and recommend (or not).
I have the stick in ones, getting pretty old now and quite a few of the cups have broken. I find them useful as they don't take up much space when not in use. Definitely the cheap way to do it. Set up I have used. Middle jump is a hogsback as I wanted a spread that could be jumped both ways.

IMG1708A.jpg

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I have a set of Jump 4 Joy and they are perfect for the small dog, but bordering on unusable for the large one except for grids. The pole is only 3ft long vs a standard 4-5ft, and it’s hard to properly recreate things like slices and threadles without the correct width and an actual winged bit sticking out.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I have a set of Jump 4 Joy and they are perfect for the small dog, but bordering on unusable for the large one except for grids. The pole is only 3ft long vs a standard 4-5ft, and it’s hard to properly recreate things like slices and threadles without the correct width and an actual winged bit sticking out.

Oh that’s interesting - I have plenty of standard poles here which I would have used, but maybe that makes them unstable. Hmm. I did like the look of the new Galican collapsible lightweight ones, but everything except the stick in the ground ones is big bucks!

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Adams do a more reasonably priced jump at £51 a jump including a pole I think. They are also a plastic type jump. Mine are wooden and not the best but as my dogs are small it doesn't matter as much. I do like to have a wing for rounds etc. Am desperately excited as I rashly ordered a junior ally dogwalk and AFrame which should arrive tomorrow.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Anyone competing this weekend?
We are back at Agility Vision again. It's the last show here for a while.
It's our first show at G4 and today Arthur won
G4-5 agility.
We won't talk about the jumping run too much which reads as a steady 5r on paper. The reality was that Arthur did a stunning threadle wrap and I forgot to do my front cross at the end of the next line. Tried doing something weird to save it which ended in a collision and me on the floor with grass in my mouth. The 5r was incurred while I was dragging myself upright and the rest of the run was entirely as planned.
Poor dog has a lot to deal with 🙈

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Congratulations on your agility win 🏆 you must be well chuffed. We are not out until end of June as have hols coming up in the cold and wet! However both were fabulous at training on Wednesday eve.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Thank you.
A successful training session is such a good feeling.
I am chuffed, if a little nervous. We were in G3 for 6 months. Mainly redoing dogwalks or putting him back after breaking his wait.
A similar time in G4 would suit me perfectly as I have a fear of forgetting the more difficult courses.
I feel more confident in agility than jumping. They are definitely easier to navigate.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
It really is a good feeling 😊 I really can't wait to compete pup. She is so special (needs lol) she'll either be amazing or dreadful. Pebs needs 2 more wins to get out of G3 but we don't compete as much as some . With Pebs confidence issues I have backed off a lot. She is hopefully back on track so will see. Annoyingly she usually goes clear,it's the time penalties that get us when she frèezes on the contact equipment.

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Somewhat embarrassed report from Agillidogz independent show yesterday. I entered Ziggy in micro which has previously been combined with small, but this weekend ran as a separate class, which meant that Ziggy was the only competitor in 3 classes as others ran nfc as training runs. So we won 4 classes (but I didn't pick up the agility 1st as he had 10 faults 😳. However he won the steeplechase which was a combined class of all grades from beginners through to advanced, had a lovely clear in jumping and was clear in the Power and speed , getting all contacts, and was faster than all micro and smalls in other grades too. I just wish there had been more competition in his actual classes.