The agility thread

P3LH

Visit site
watching with interest as it is my OH’s intention to do agility with our latest pup when old enough - the woman who when we first got together many moons ago never got why I went to dog shows or varying canine events!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
watching with interest as it is my OH’s intention to do agility with our latest pup when old enough - the woman who when we first got together many moons ago never got why I went to dog shows or varying canine events!
Hope she gets hooked, it is great fun. How old is your latest pup? They can start training at 12 months but no competing till 18 months.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Three runs at training last night and he was sound - one last walk this morning and if all is well we'll be on our way. 🤞

Gave large dog her 2o2o cue on the A-frame for the first time, just to see what happened - understood straight away. She's not coming down like a lawn dart and loading through her elbows as I feared, she's rocking her weight back and sliding the last six inches into position. It'll do for now, we can work on better striding. Seesaw and dog walk in sequence all good, poles are staying up. Glimmers of hope!

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
@blackcob. Grrr how frustrating for you. Have our first comp on Sat after a bit of a break. Hope it isn't too hot as Miss Sensitive doesn't like lt too hot or the grass too dry or too prickly or too long 🤔 🙄😂 It will also be pups debut in the jumping 😳 Not been able to get to an Indy so straight in at KC and we will see how it goes. As she is so er unique and Special🙄no idea what to expect. Excited though!

Spotherisk

Visit site
Training session yesterday, this sport can make me feel so stupid. The lovely trainer (first time we had met) told me all the things that other trainers tell me, and I consistently do wrong…

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Training session yesterday, this sport can make me feel so stupid. The lovely trainer (first time we had met) told me all the things that other trainers tell me, and I consistently do wrong…
I feel your pain. But if everyone was perfect these trainers would have no income! I struggle with some stuff as I am so uncoordinated and however much they say dont do a front cross do this...I just can't 😢 That was part of my problem as I lost all confidence and then so did Pebs. I now train where they help me and I do try stuff. However if I cant do it they accept that. So far we have regained confidence but it's been a long road. Saturday will be first comp for a while so will see how it goes. All you can do is your best 😊 it's all we can all do.....and have fun.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I feel your pain. But if everyone was perfect these trainers would have no income! I struggle with some stuff as I am so uncoordinated and however much they say dont do a front cross do this...I just can't 😢 That was part of my problem as I lost all confidence and then so did Pebs. I now train where they help me and I do try stuff. However if I cant do it they accept that. So far we have regained confidence but it's been a long road. Saturday will be first comp for a while so will see how it goes. All you can do is your best 😊 it's all we can all do.....and have fun.

Thank you for your lovely comments, I too turn the wrong way, think I’ve just executed what we’ve talked about, but I haven’t etc! I have training again tomorrow with Dalton Meredith, who is lovely and very positive… I can only keep trying! Best of luck for Saturday!

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Thank you for your lovely comments, I too turn the wrong way, think I’ve just executed what we’ve talked about, but I haven’t etc! I have training again tomorrow with Dalton Meredith, who is lovely and very positive… I can only keep trying! Best of luck for Saturday!
Thankyou that's so kind. Whilst I've never personally met Dalton he always appears very normal and down to earth. Enjoy, but remember we are all unique and so are our dogs. Sometimes "our way" works best and there is nothing wrong with that. Nothing is one size fits all so do what's right for you and your dog. Take and use what works for you but don't be afraid to compromise either x

Blimey that sounds a bit preachy sorry x

Spotherisk

Visit site
Thankyou that's so kind. Whilst I've never personally met Dalton he always appears very normal and down to earth. Enjoy, but remember we are all unique and so are our dogs. Sometimes "our way" works best and there is nothing wrong with that. Nothing is one size fits all so do what's right for you and your dog. Take and use what works for you but don't be afraid to compromise either x

Blimey that sounds a bit preachy sorry x

Haha that’s okay! I took the advice of a very lovely young woman whose dog handling I admired, she told me that when she started learning she trained with any trainer she could, and then really assessed who suited her and her dog. I think I’m beginning to understand who works for us.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Haha that’s okay! I took the advice of a very lovely young woman whose dog handling I admired, she told me that when she started learning she trained with any trainer she could, and then really assessed who suited her and her dog. I think I’m beginning to understand who works for us.
I agree totally. Where I now go there is no pressure and that suits me. So because there is no pressure I now try more different things. There are some places/people that are better in theory but if you don't like them and they don't "get" you its a waste of time....and money. It's all a balance really but also trusting your own gut feeling.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Pup was great at training tonight and I think our holiday break was what she needed. I didn't take Pebs as tbh needed to not be too late as have to be in office tomorrow 🙄 will do some weaves and then show Saturday. I must relax...I must relax....so excited for pupsters debut!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Small dog’s first championship run today. 5R in jumping as I overcooked his weave entry, then an E in the agility for another weave entry. Dog walk to slightly offset 90 degree weaves, with handler on the off side so needing to threadle them in - he mistook my left threadle cue for a backside wrap on the trap jump right next to them (fab course design!)

If only I’d got him in he would have gone through to the final in 19th place even on faults which I am absolutely thrilled with on our first attempt, a double clear and/or a final spot is not out of our reach. One day 🤞

ETA:

IMG_6748.jpeg

Last edited:

Spotherisk

Visit site
Small dog’s first championship run today. 5R in jumping as I overcooked his weave entry, then an E in the agility for another weave entry. Dog walk to slightly offset 90 degree weaves, with handler on the off side so needing to threadle them in - he mistook my left threadle cue for a backside wrap on the trap jump right next to them (fab course design!)

If only I’d got him in he would have gone through to the final in 19th place even on faults which I am absolutely thrilled with on our first attempt, a double clear and/or a final spot is not out of our reach. One day 🤞

ETA:

View attachment 141956

That’s a lovely, twisty course, lots of traps for the fast dogs!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I admit I still haven't done one in mid sequence with the large one, only from static. 31kg coming directly at you is 😬

This course is terrifying 🤣🙈

They run smoother than they look, it was good fun! I will be pinching bits of this for class exercises, especially that lovely natural layer 5 to 7.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
I admit I still haven't done one in mid sequence with the large one, only from static. 31kg coming directly at you is 😬

They run smoother than they look, it was good fun! I will be pinching bits of this for class exercises, especially that lovely natural layer 5 to 7.

Arthur is 16kg but it's all in a medium package, just below knee level. What could possibly go wrong 🤔

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Oh what a day.. proud Mum alert. Today was very, very long and extremely hot! Pups first class 1 2 3 graded jumping. She was so focused. We picked up 10 pens on weaves as they were right handed and a few time faults. In the 1/2 wow she was brilliant blew me away we were E as I was in wrong place and she back jumped having gone round a jump.... but she behaved brilliantly and was so focused and I am so so pleased🥰

Pebs had a jumping clear but some pesky time faults and agility 2nd and an E in the combined agility. Mainly as it was end of an extremely long day and I was knackered. She had been there all day before her 2 agility runs right at the end and straight after each other. Happy days 😀

Last edited: