The agility thread

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’ve just had an amazing session with Dalton, feels like it’s coming together at last. When I think that a year ago I had to hold Rew at the start, and he’d ping off anywhere, today he waits, 1st was a pull through, then push over two to wrap back to a double of tunnels, we had wraps and around and slices, 12 weaves, dw… amazing. First time training outside this year too.

Blackdown on Monday.
IMG_0820.jpeg

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’m at Blackdown today, it’s lovely and quiet. Course which should be within our capability, but today Rew has forgotten he’s ever weaved before, has forgotten contacts, and cannot drive on, ffs…

We couldn’t even go clear in the Steeplechase, not by a long shot!

I have one more class agility C1-3, I’m going to run it as if it just doesn’t matter at all, if he ignores my directions I’m just going to keep on running…

It’s getting very wearing, oh for a steady dog that goes everywhere at a sedate canter and has an average stride length!

Edited to say ha, I just read my post 602, well that didn’t last long!!!

ihatework

Visit site
Little update from Loki since I last posted,

We have religiously done 3 x 20 min sessions a week at a local dog paddock with some equipment in, working on our start line, tunnel entry and forward drive.

It’s definitely paying off. The start line is now reasonably good in that situation, and then translated pretty well to club night - yey! Yet to try in competition mind.

He is starting to look for the tunnel without me having to literally be at the entrance.

And drive over a jump is slightly better too, but still a way to go.

On another note, local A4A comps seem pretty sparse in my area for next few months, are there any other good non-KC to consider? Glouc/N Wilts/N Somerset/Oxon?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I’m at Blackdown today, it’s lovely and quiet. Course which should be within our capability, but today Rew has forgotten he’s ever weaved before, has forgotten contacts, and cannot drive on, ffs…

We couldn’t even go clear in the Steeplechase, not by a long shot!

I have one more class agility C1-3, I’m going to run it as if it just doesn’t matter at all, if he ignores my directions I’m just going to keep on running…

It’s getting very wearing, oh for a steady dog that goes everywhere at a sedate canter and has an average stride length!

Edited to say ha, I just read my post 602, well that didn’t last long!!!
I was also at a little show yesterday. Mine decided to break every wait, had thought she was improving on her waits but no. Rock solid stay anywhere else. So 2 Es in agility and jumping and a good round but 10 faults in helter skelter. Having had a very steady dog in the past who was pretty well guaranteed a clear and often a low place, I prefer my mad dog. Frustrating at times but the buzz when we get it right is fantastic.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Little update from Loki since I last posted,

We have religiously done 3 x 20 min sessions a week at a local dog paddock with some equipment in, working on our start line, tunnel entry and forward drive.

It’s definitely paying off. The start line is now reasonably good in that situation, and then translated pretty well to club night - yey! Yet to try in competition mind.

He is starting to look for the tunnel without me having to literally be at the entrance.

And drive over a jump is slightly better too, but still a way to go.

On another note, local A4A comps seem pretty sparse in my area for next few months, are there any other good non-KC to consider? Glouc/N Wilts/N Somerset/Oxon?
Have you had a look at A4A Nationals in Gloucester?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
2 days at Oswestry & High Lane this weekend, the coldest “summer “ show I’ve ever been to . Some lovely runs from Zig, but frustratingly we still need that grade 2 agility win to progress . On Saturday he won the class with 5 faults , got all contacts but missed weave entry . He was also 2nd in combined 1-4 jumping . Sunday he was clear in the agility , but not quite fast enough so ended up 2nd 🤦‍♀️. Also had a clear and unplaced 4th in 1-4 jumping . At the moment I have no more kc shows planned for this year so looks like we will be starting 2025 as Grade 3 😝

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Careful what you wish for...
We had our first G4 show a couple of weeks ago and just realized we have 2 classes a day at Golden valley this weekend that are G4-7 😳
I'm terrified!

Well done on all those places though. I bet you will get your next wins very quickly when you compete at kc again.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Careful what you wish for...
We had our first G4 show a couple of weeks ago and just realized we have 2 classes a day at Golden valley this weekend that are G4-7 😳
I'm terrified!

Well done on all those places though. I bet you will get your next wins very quickly when you compete at kc again.
I have to admit part of me is quite happy to stay Grade 2. My other heeler got to Grade 6 and I used to panic every time I got to the start line that I’d forgotten the course ! More often than not I did get lost at some point 🙄

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I may look like a shapeless old biddy but they are so warm!

I got an Equidry, with the big hood, in jet black, in size tall so it comes down to my ankles. I look like the grim reaper 😅

I once met a lady in the queue for the showers at a show who dropped in to the conversation that she was totally naked under hers. She would shower, bung it straight back on damp and then go and dry and dress in the comfort of her own caravan without further holding up the queue. Eminently sensible but I have since forever wondered who else is in the nip under theirs!!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I got an Equidry, with the big hood, in jet black, in size tall so it comes down to my ankles. I look like the grim reaper 😅

I once met a lady in the queue for the showers at a show who dropped in to the conversation that she was totally naked under hers. She would shower, bung it straight back on damp and then go and dry and dress in the comfort of her own caravan without further holding up the queue. Eminently sensible but I have since forever wondered who else is in the nip under theirs!!

Mines a moonrobe from Agilitywear . I call it my traitor’s coat 😀

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
There’s knowing that, and there’s having the person stood next to you unexpectedly and proudly declare their nakedness. 😂

Making plans for the fallow day at Lune - does anyone have any recommendations for a nice day out in the Lakes? We’re in striking distance of Kendal, Windermere etc.

Clodagh

Visit site
There’s knowing that, and there’s having the person stood next to you unexpectedly and proudly declare their nakedness. 😂

Making plans for the fallow day at Lune - does anyone have any recommendations for a nice day out in the Lakes? We’re in striking distance of Kendal, Windermere etc.
Windermere is incredibly busy, I’d head north if I were you. Kirkstone Pass is a lovely walk and the Kirkstone Inn is an amazing pub.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
That’s looking like a fab idea, thanks. We may or may not have an elderly dog in tow so being able to park up and either potter about or split up, with a pub available to retreat to, is ideal.

A few very frustrating A-frame nights on the trot and I am wibbling over giving up and putting a 2o2o on her. I really didn’t want to on a dog this size but she needs absolute black and white criteria and there’s proving to be too many variables on a running. We’re ok static but sequencing it is just 🤯

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Yup, my small has nice running with minimal maintenance. I’d already compromised on a stopped DW with her (I think these are the hardest to train if you don’t have super regular access to a full length one) but thought I could crack the AF.

She set off the loud environment warning on my watch twice last night. 🙄

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Yup, my small has nice running with minimal maintenance. I’d already compromised on a stopped DW with her (I think these are the hardest to train if you don’t have super regular access to a full length one) but thought I could crack the AF.

She set off the loud environment warning on my watch twice last night. 🙄
Ziggy sets mine off 🙄

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Disaster day at Golden Valley, hammering with rain first thing. Missed weave entry in his first two runs which is entirely unlike him, then in his third run the reason became apparent - pulled up lame. Called home to see if we had any anti-inflammatories and we didn't, so home via work to get some Metacam. Consensus is soft tissue injury rather than anything dramatic, however we're meant to leave for Lune next Friday. :(