The agility thread

sarah.oxford

Visit site
We had a good few days at the UK Agility Nationals last week.
Both my dogs got through to the final of the nationals, and both won their respective heights. Very happy for the old girl as she will probably be fully retired by this time next year, and my youngest who isn't yet 3.... well, to say I was surprised is an understatement. Actually going clear in the final was amazing.
He also won a steeplechase, and a games class, and got another 3rd in games.
Next stop KCI which I'm absolutely dreading!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Well done. Why are you dreading KCI? I used to love going, great atmosphere and once running a course no different to anywhere else. I haven't been since lockdown and probably won't again but would love to.

ihatework

Visit site
Well I took away some of the wait/stay advice and over last couple of weeks really focused on it.

Went agility training this week and …. I managed to keep him in a wait until I got to the other side of fence 1 😁 It’s still very fragile but a noticeable improvement!

Also he seems much more amenable to a standing wait than a sitting wait, to standing it is!

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Well done. Why are you dreading KCI? I used to love going, great atmosphere and once running a course no different to anywhere else. I haven't been since lockdown and probably won't again but would love to.
The size of the thing is freaking me out. I have no idea how much extra time I need to allow compared to regular shows so will be leaving stupidly early for day one

Clodagh

Visit site
I’m at Paignton tomorrow which is at Westpoint, the Devon a county showground, and then SWAT on Sunday, which is (70 miles away!) near Glastonbury. Good luck to anyone competing this weekend!
Is it indoors at Westpoint? Or are you only allowed undercover on the winter season ? 😄

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
The size of the thing is freaking me out. I have no idea how much extra time I need to allow compared to regular shows so will be leaving stupidly early for day one
I can't help you there as I haven't been since it was at Rockingham. No idea either what the entries are like. Worst points I always found were being parked a long way from the rings apart from when our club was running a ring and we were able to park close by. How many rings is it this year? Usually 20+ I think. I won't go because my sister's dog is retired and we used to go together so always someone to hold a dog. I do hope you enjoy it.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site

I also haven’t been since Rockingham, sorry, and am camping with a ring party so hoping not to be at the furthest reaches. I will have a full cooler and am good for a beer if anyone is not driving home 😉

Entries are way down on what I remember, excepting qualifiers I’ve only got 50ish in graded classes, 17 rings.

ihatework

Visit site
Can I ask a really dumb novice question?

What are the relevant competition organisations - there seem to be a few names floating around?

Of those, are there any more suited to complete beginners?

In terms of classes are there any that are kind of equivalent to clear round at horse shows - ie you can have a go with no strict rules and have low jumps? Presumably you could then just go around the equipment your dog isn’t ready for (eg weave & seesaw)

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
At one time there was only really one organisation running agility shows and that was KC. There were a few unaffiliated shows but the KC frowned on them. However times change and other organisations now exist. UKA is the best known but there are other series of shows as well. Locally we have an organisation running little indoor winter shows designed to help people just starting out as well as providing fun for more experienced combinations. The lowest level classes are aimed at new dogs and older dogs winding down. You can choose height of jump and there are no weaves so great for bringing on a dog. Some KC shows will include Anysize classes which are for young dogs and older dogs who can't jump full height any more. These usually run at 3 heights and you can choose what height you want your dog to run at. These don't include weaves or contact equipment You can't just turn up on the day at a KC show, you have to enter in advance. Some of the other organisations might allow entries on the day if they aren't oversubscribed. You can only progress through the grades at KC shows, wins at other shows don't count. UKA have their own progression system.
This probably hasn't helped very much, best I can do.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Bl88dy dog had a party on his second run, leaving the unfenced ring and running into the one next door to bark at another dog. I completely see his point, it looks like one big unfenced field of high energy dogs.

I think I was the only Grade 1 running in my classes - I won’t be running in unfenced classes again!

Clodagh

Visit site
Bl88dy dog had a party on his second run, leaving the unfenced ring and running into the one next door to bark at another dog. I completely see his point, it looks like one big unfenced field of high energy dogs.

I think I was the only Grade 1 running in my classes - I won’t be running in unfenced classes again!
It’s a big ask. As long as he had a good time 😄

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
We had a very wet day!🌧 When we ran in the Agility Pebs was not impressed as we had an absolute downpour. Her beard and eyebrows were extremely soggy. When she got to the dog walk she tippy toed up..across...down and was pretty much the same on the see saw 🙄 she wasn't too keen to come out of the tunnels either although I must admit I don't blame her.😂 We were an unplaced 2nd with masses of time faults but everything else apart from the winner was eliminated. Sausage and egg bap cheered us up before our jumping run. Being so small she gets quite wet and doesn't like it but went well in the jumping for a clear and a win! Was well chuffed, although would have preferred an agility win 😬 In the combined we back jumped for an E. Couldn't wait to get home for a hot shower! Next up DINAS.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
We have just had our first ever non-elimination run on Agility G1 and 2, absolute miracle, I am so chuffed! Got all our contacts, did weaves (so slow, he walks them, and we got time faults), our faults were just communication breakdown ie my fault!
Such a great feeling, I hope you kept dry?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Three Es and an unplaced clear today but I'm not even mad, they were 'good' Es - really giving it the gun due to the company and he felt fab.

A friend filmed one run and I'm dismayed on watching it back that not one but two collies were eyeballing and lunging at him right at the ring ropes as he ran towards them. Wee dog was a saint but I shouldn't have to ask him to do that.

Indy

Visit site
Three Es and an unplaced clear today but I'm not even mad, they were 'good' Es - really giving it the gun due to the company and he felt fab.

A friend filmed one run and I'm dismayed on watching it back that not one but two collies were eyeballing and lunging at him right at the ring ropes as he ran towards them. Wee dog was a saint but I shouldn't have to ask him to do that.
The independent shows we go to have a rule where you have stand 2 metres away from the rings

MurphysMinder

Visit site
At the show I was at yesterday the queue was fenced with orange net fencing. I was standing in queue with Pickle and a dog from other side of fence pushed in towards Pickle and sniffed at him . As bc knows Pick isn't a big fan of this sort of thing 😏 and had a pop, fair enough other owner and I were maybe equally at fault for not watching our dogs. But a minute or so later the person booking in had to ask the lady with this dog to move it as it started doing the same thing again !