The agility thread

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’m not sure it’ll ever stop raining 🙄

My email has been pinging today, as well as usual weekly sessions I have two ‘specials’ in May, another with Barrie James and my first with Dalton Meredith. I hope he doesn’t expect me to run as fast as he does! 😳😁

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I’m not sure it’ll ever stop raining 🙄

My email has been pinging today, as well as usual weekly sessions I have two ‘specials’ in May, another with Barrie James and my first with Dalton Meredith. I hope he doesn’t expect me to run as fast as he does! 😳😁
Good luck, I would never dare sign up for a workshop with any of the younger , fast handlers, it would kill me 😂

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I have Chloe Brown in May too!

When I’m in the ring I feel like Usain Bolt, when I watch my videos I wonder who is the old woman shuffling around!?

Oh yes! I finish a run thinking I have really sprinted and then watch a video and I'm hardly jogging . This is why I have signed up for a distance handling workshop :p

Spotherisk

Visit site
We have done a bit too much this week really - normal training on Wednesday night, this with Penny Douds doing layering, was a four hour trip door to door. Then Rew came to work with me on Thursday, all day, not stressful for him but not like lying on the sofa at home…. Went home for an hour then out locally for a few runs with the club, a twisty course so I shelved the last run, as this morning we had our first outdoor training this year with a lovely lady who trains the One Mind Dogs way… I really like this system as my dog looks to me a lot (sighthound) and so body language rather than voice makes sense to me. We tried the OMD challenge (to get a free month of training!) so the vid is on the fb page if anyone’s interested.

Although I have plenty of different trainers booked for the next few months I can see me veering more towards OMD, it just seems to work for us and I love the body language work.

Next show Blackdown 12th May, when it will be too hot for Rew, or raining… 🤣

Clodagh

Visit site
We have done a bit too much this week really - normal training on Wednesday night, this with Penny Douds doing layering, was a four hour trip door to door. Then Rew came to work with me on Thursday, all day, not stressful for him but not like lying on the sofa at home…. Went home for an hour then out locally for a few runs with the club, a twisty course so I shelved the last run, as this morning we had our first outdoor training this year with a lovely lady who trains the One Mind Dogs way… I really like this system as my dog looks to me a lot (sighthound) and so body language rather than voice makes sense to me. We tried the OMD challenge (to get a free month of training!) so the vid is on the fb page if anyone’s interested.

Although I have plenty of different trainers booked for the next few months I can see me veering more towards OMD, it just seems to work for us and I love the body language work.

Next show Blackdown 12th May, when it will be too hot for Rew, or raining… 🤣
And you say I’m obsessive! Good to find a training method that gets you though.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
No club for large dog for two/three weeks as she is in season (the politics it has caused 🙄) which isn't helping my perception that we've completely stalled. She is allowed to attend a workshop at a different venue next week and if she manages ok with the environment we'll be able to pick up another training spot hopefully, and crack on with things a bit.

Champ course running and a skills workshop for small dog next week, if his balls don't overtake his brain. 🙃

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Oh tell us about the politics.

Bearing in mind I am completely on the fence about the topic, as I have a male as well... Seeing as bitches in season can now compete at prestige events at KC, both our instructor and the club owner were happy to have her, at least at either end of it and with a few sensible precautions. I have a live-in ovulation meter who lets me know when she'd need to stay home. 😳 However out of courtesy they informed everyone else, some of whom then threatened to withdraw if she was present, despite being in a different group on the other side of a fence.

I get it, I would not be happy queuing my male at a show next to a bitch who was actually 'hot', and I do recall cursing the owner of a very ripe BiS in the camping area at a show last year, so I can't point fingers. It's just frustrating for me as she started early and her cycle is 4 monthly so she's missed out on a lot of training already.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Bearing in mind I am completely on the fence about the topic, as I have a male as well... Seeing as bitches in season can now compete at prestige events at KC, both our instructor and the club owner were happy to have her, at least at either end of it and with a few sensible precautions. I have a live-in ovulation meter who lets me know when she'd need to stay home. 😳 However out of courtesy they informed everyone else, some of whom then threatened to withdraw if she was present, despite being in a different group on the other side of a fence.

I get it, I would not be happy queuing my male at a show next to a bitch who was actually 'hot', and I do recall cursing the owner of a very ripe BiS in the camping area at a show last year, so I can't point fingers. It's just frustrating for me as she started early and her cycle is 4 monthly so she's missed out on a lot of training already.
Have you seen the post on Agilitynet fb from a very experienced handler saying how helpful it is to have bitches in season at training so she can train her entire male.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I did (and the person who is letting us train this weekend has also liked it, LOL).

I am surprised in our case that the opinion of a couple of club members has trumped the decision of both the instructor and the club owner.

Again I can still respect both sides, small dog is working perfectly fine right now and his head hasn’t fallen off from living with her. I wouldn’t necessarily want to try running him at a show immediately following a bitch actively at the point of ovulation, but a training scenario is very different IMO.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
We had bitches in season at a4a Easter and Arthur coped fine.
We were there all 4 days and he was amazing.
We have also been training with a bitch in season with no issues.
However I do not currently allow bitches in season in my beginners agility groups, because they are beginners and they are already easily distracted by things like rabbit poo, and I feel currently this would be a step too far.
I am open to reviewing this in the future though as it's clearly the way forward.
Note that most of my beginners will not be competing in the near future

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
It had to happen some time, first wipeout by the large dog. I cued a ketschker and ran on without really connecting, expecting to pick her up on my right hand and send her to a tunnel, only she came through on my left and cut across me to the tunnel before I could even blink. Went down like a sack of spuds. 😳

Rest of it was fabulous work, new venue and new dogs no problem, super focus.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
It had to happen some time, first wipeout by the large dog. I cued a ketschker and ran on without really connecting, expecting to pick her up on my right hand and send her to a tunnel, only she came through on my left and cut across me to the tunnel before I could even blink. Went down like a sack of spuds. 😳

This is my biggest fear with Arthur, because although he's only knee height, he's muscular and heavy.
It's actually only my little one whose wiped me out on more than one occasion. She sees blind crosses as a personal challenge and aims between my legs.
Hope you have not suffered as a result of your collision....

Errin Paddywack

Visit site

One of my collies did this to me. Blind cross at a tunnel but she came out faster than I expected. I hit the floor face first. Taught me a useful if rather painful lesson.

Spotherisk

Visit site

I hope you’re not sore tomorrow. Rew wiped me out in competition by stopping dead in front of me after the last jump… I didn’t stop.

ihatework

Visit site
Anyone at Lydiard A4A on Sunday? Loki entered for 3 classes but might have to play it by ear and just do whatever I don't miss as event neddy is competing in the morning and takes priority!

sarah.oxford

Visit site
I'm there both days. Entries are huge for A4A and they've had to expand to 6 rings for the first time ever.
You should have plenty of time.

I'll be in novice performance and steeplechase with my red stafford. You will probably hear him shouting at me in the queue and on the startline, although I do try to get him in first or last to save everyone's ears.

Won't be running my older dog in casual though, as she's pulled a muscle chasing deer. Not that she got anywhere near them even in her younger days as her legs are far too short. Very frustrating though as I am so alert to the presence of wildlife, but the 3 large deer cut across the corner of the field behind me while I was scanning the horizon ahead .

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Watching videos of training from the last couple of weeks trying to work out why large dog has started dropping poles now we're sequencing aaaaaand it's me. 💀

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I just need to up my game really, what is 4/5/6 strides to a small dog is one to her so there is absolutely no room for late cues, to a degree I am only just beginning to understand. Small dog is also experienced enough to change lead or shorten/extend on the fly, she has neither the experience nor the body awareness to do that yet. Nor would I expect it at her age, it's just that switching between handling the two is a bit mind blowing.

Hoping Barrie will sort me out next week 😅

Spotherisk

Visit site
I do often think how hard I’ve made things for myself, running a 52cm lurcher as my first ever agility dog, he can reach the top of the A frame in one stride, and jump from the top without faltering, his stride is just huge.