The HHO LGV (HGV) Info clinic

jon1210

Visit site
Hello ROG I noticed that your guide on the licences and various elements of horseboxes was excellent, but... could you help me out haha

im 18 with a full clean car licence who would like to be able to drive the 7.5tonne horsebox at work for my employer who regularly is driving abroad around europe, can you please advise on what would be the best steps to do as the VOSA guide tells me I need a different licence if its for my job and if im not just driving in the UK. I have contacted a few people who do intensive courses for C1 licence is that correct I just dont want to go any further to find out I have the wrong licence

PM me with a reply if you dont mind :)

Cheers
Jon

ROG

Visit site
im 18 with a full clean car licence who would like to be able to drive the 7.5tonne horsebox at work for my employer who regularly is driving abroad around europe, can you please advise on what would be the best steps to do as the VOSA guide tells me I need a different licence if its for my job and if im not just driving in the UK. I have contacted a few people who do intensive courses for C1 licence is that correct I just dont want to go any further to find out I have the wrong licence
VOSA do not deal with licence issues - the DVLA do

A C1 licence is the same whether you are using it for the UK or abroad

You will need to do the initial driver CPC modules 2 & 4 if you intend to use it for commercial purposes such as for your job

I would seriously consider doing the LGV C course instead of the C1 if intending to use LGV for commercial - more difficult gearbox but otherwise its virtually the same course and test

perfect11s

Visit site
Rog what do you know about rules for vehicles being speed limited
as in my iveco 5.5t is 56mph limited, am I allowed to have it removed? :)
thank you
Not if the truck was registered after oct 2001 , 51 reg or newer, they will check its function during the annual test(plating) so not the best idea to mess about with !!!but there is nothing to stop you having it reset if its set lower than 90kph...

perfect11s

Visit site
Good thread ROG, and maybe it's time for a transport forum maybe we could have the olyimpics forum when that's run its course or put vet and breeding together??? , transport issues are important to most horse owners and people who work with horses..Admin????

ROG

Visit site
This may be a silly question, but why would anyone want to over-ride the limiter? Isn't 56 mph enough to travel a horse at?

Limiters are not such an issue for those using horseboxes but are more of an issue for the general commercial LGV industry.

Sites like trucknetuk have many threads on this issue

I have Email alerts for this thread so if anyone poses a question it will be picked up quite quickly :)

ROG

Visit site
Good thread ROG, and maybe it's time for a transport forum maybe we could have the olyimpics forum when that's run its course or put vet and breeding together??? , transport issues are important to most horse owners and people who work with horses..Admin????
Looking at the number of transport related posts I do not think a forum would be that well used IMO

perfect11s

Visit site
Looking at the number of transport related posts I do not think a forum would be that well used IMO
Maybe but there is quite a few trailer, lorrry or tow vehicle posts every day?? perhaps there would be less if it was on a seperate forum
as the posters would see old threads that answer questions they were going to ask...it does seem quite an important part of horse ownership ??? and you have a fair number of posts on your towing sticky, people post on differnt forums so having its own maybe would get better coverage and help we have a vet a breeding a stolen missing etc but not transport one wonder what others think???

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
HERE is a link to the experiences of one member who booked their LGV training through a broker and not a LGV training school

At the time of posting this the experience is not concluded so it might be interesting to follow it in the future weeks and months......

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
This may sound like a very silly question, but is there anyway, other than going to a weight bridge, to find out what the pay load of a 7.5 tonnes horsebox is? Thanks :)

Spendtoomuch

Visit site
Rog - next year I plan on getting a 7.5 ton or lower (but over 3.5t) horse box.
I passed my test in 1999, I have a c1 provisional which I got in 2004, had forgot about tbh but spotted it on my licence the other week.
So I can either now do lgv theory anytime and then be able to do practical training and test next year? this would allow me to drive up to a 7.5t
Or
I have medical, apply for provisional to be able to do c licence so over 7.5t?
Am I correct?
if I am would I be best to just carry on with c1 as max I will probably ever have is a 7.5t?
Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Rog - next year I plan on getting a 7.5 ton or lower (but over 3.5t) horse box.
I passed my test in 1999, I have a c1 provisional which I got in 2004, had forgot about tbh but spotted it on my licence the other week.
So I can either now do lgv theory anytime and then be able to do practical training and test next year? this would allow me to drive up to a 7.5t
Or
I have medical, apply for provisional to be able to do c licence so over 7.5t?
Am I correct?
if I am would I be best to just carry on with c1 as max I will probably ever have is a 7.5t?
Thanks
If the C1 provisional is already on your licence then no need to do another medical if under age 45

Bit surprised that you did not tick C & D on the D2 provisional licence form !!

Lets stick with C1 - you can now do the theory modules 1a & 1b which will last for 2 years

After passing the theory you can book the practical

Easiest way to pass C1 is to look for schools which use a 5 or 6 tonne van

VISIT BEFORE PAYING ANY MONEY TO ANYONE

Spendtoomuch

Visit site
Ok thanks, not sure what or why I ticked boxes as 8 years ago. Not sure anyone fully understood it then?
I am between northampton and kettering any recommendations for training?

ROG

Visit site
Ok thanks, not sure what or why I ticked boxes as 8 years ago. Not sure anyone fully understood it then?
I am between northampton and kettering any recommendations for training?
Not managed to find a school in your area that does C1 in your area in either a 7.5 lorry or a 5/6 tonne van .... yet ....