The HHO LGV (HGV) Info clinic

Nick2612

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your informative posts.

I'm looking to find an instructor who can provide me with training and enter me for my C1 test

I only intend to drive a 5 tonne box. Do you know any local instructors to me that provide training in a 5/6 tonne van? I'm based in Nuneaton.

Thanks in advance

Nick

ROG

Visit site
Thanks for your informative posts.

I'm looking to find an instructor who can provide me with training and enter me for my C1 test

I only intend to drive a 5 tonne box. Do you know any local instructors to me that provide training in a 5/6 tonne van? I'm based in Nuneaton.

Thanks in advance

Nick
DATA ACADEMY would be my first choice - near M1/M69 junction - I think they just got a 5 tonne van for C1

The only other nearest one to you I can think of with a C1 van would be J COATES in leicester city centre

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

You seem to be very honest and knowledgable in the C or C1 department!
I am currently taking my class C as I want to drive my 7.5t horsebox, but I am sorry to say I have failed the test twice now so my pride and pocket has taken a battering - would I be best to re test and do my C1 and leave my C untill i have more road experience. The mistakes I have failed on are silly to close to car pulled out to soon on a roundabout - but I feel like the 3rd time I maybe a nervous wreak so maybe doing the c1 confidently would be a better option for me? What do you think?

If its purely down to the size of the vehicle then certainly consider doing C1 in a large 4 or 5 tonne van rather than a lorry but the downside might be that if your horsebox is going to be a 7.5 lorry then you might still have the same issues

If its not the size but simply down to your general driving ability then stay with cat C

Try KALMS tablets or see your chemist for other options for test nerves

If driving confidence is the issue then perhaps contacting your local advanced driving group for a free assessment drive in your own vehicle is an idea to try

Rock14

New User
Visit site
Yes I think your probably right, I just feel with the 7.5t I have so much to think about and consider that I am making silly mistakes and would I drive better in the C1 for the test and get my confidence back up. My instructor says there is nothing wrong with my driving and to keep going but I cant help feel I may do it again and I can not afford too!

coloured_c0b

Visit site
Rog - can someone who has taken a higher class test act as a supervisor? My dad has a class 1 Hgv license but has not sat the test for the c category. Or would he have had to sit that test too? Thanks for all the useful advice :)

ROG

Visit site
Rog - can someone who has taken a higher class test act as a supervisor? My dad has a class 1 Hgv license but has not sat the test for the c category. Or would he have had to sit that test too? Thanks for all the useful advice :)

Yes he can because higher classes cover lower classes

C+E covers C C1 C1+E B B+E
C covers C1 B

Emma86

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Any recommendations for C1 training in the South Bucks (or close enough) area. After having a search on the net a few have popped up that you suggested people should avoid!

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Any recommendations for C1 training in the South Bucks (or close enough) area. After having a search on the net a few have popped up that you suggested people should avoid!

Where would you like to test - Reading berks, Weedon N'hants

There are limited LGV test centres so it makes sense to use a provider near to one of those centres

ROG

Visit site
For you folks looking for schools then may I suggest looking HERE as those are schools which have been recommended by trainees who did training with them

Some might have been over 5 years ago but its the best I can come up with

I know of various trainers across the UK but only in certain places so any outside that I cannot say yay or nay to

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I've read all that, and it might be that I am a bit dim, but I need to ask anyway :)
I'm looking at getting a C1 licence in order to drive a biggish van (no air brakes - they frighten me, lol).
I have a livery yard and ride horses for other people for a living, but the lorry will be used to take out my own 2 horses to some shows, and I never offer transport to liveries - will I need an operator's licence?

ROG

Visit site
I've read all that, and it might be that I am a bit dim, but I need to ask anyway :)
I'm looking at getting a C1 licence in order to drive a biggish van (no air brakes - they frighten me, lol).
I have a livery yard and ride horses for other people for a living, but the lorry will be used to take out my own 2 horses to some shows, and I never offer transport to liveries - will I need an operator's licence?
No O licence needed if all you are doing is transporting horses on a non commercial basis

Please read the advice in the first posts before jumping into getting the licence

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
No O licence needed if all you are doing is transporting horses on a non commercial basis

Please read the advice in the first posts before jumping into getting the licence
Thanks for that, that's what I thought, but this incidental to business talk confused me.
Now, the reason for C1 is a bit tactical for me, tbh, I don't want to be able to drive anything bigger or I will be railroaded into doing the big cattle runs and I just flatly refuse to :D I suppose it could be considered a bit of a waste of money not going for the C cat, but then again, I just don't see the point in driving something that scares the daylight out of me :eek:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
This may be the silliest of silly questions....... BUT, are there any rules about how the load of horses is distributed? Do the different axels carry different weights? :confused: See I did say it may be the silliest of silly questions :)

ROG

Visit site
This may be the silliest of silly questions....... BUT, are there any rules about how the load of horses is distributed? Do the different axels carry different weights? :confused: See I did say it may be the silliest of silly questions :)
Not silly
Axles do have different weight limits with rear being greater than front in every case I have come across

It would depend on whether living has been built in as to how the distribution of other things such as horses would need to be loaded

Loading weight evenly from the front to rear of the original length of the loading space is always recommended

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Hi Rog, I'm getting a 10 tonne lorry next month to replace my 7.5 tonne lorry which has sadly rusted away. Will I have to operate the tachometer on the 10 tonne (I'm a private user)? I never did on the 7.5 even though it was fitted.

Also, in LGV job adverts what does 'must be a digi card holder' mean?

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog, I'm getting a 10 tonne lorry next month to replace my 7.5 tonne lorry which has sadly rusted away. Will I have to operate the tachometer on the 10 tonne (I'm a private user)? I never did on the 7.5 even though it was fitted.

Also, in LGV job adverts what does 'must be a digi card holder' mean?
Any LGV where the GVW is over 7.5 tonne comes under the EU driver regs even if being driven privately so the tacho will need to be used and you must legally record any other work you do in any capacity on officially recognised recording methods - a diary will not suffice

Other work only needs to be recorded in any fixed week which is sunday midnight to sunday midnight if any part of that fixed week has been driven in under EU regs

No Eu regs driving done in a fixed week then no records needed - VOSA will assume that were no records exist that time is assumed to be rest but they will usually ask what you did

the easiest way to record other work is to use a separate analogue card for each day worked with name, date, start and finish time on it

All this is so that VOSA etc can see if you have conformed to the weekly rest requirements

You cannot work mon to fri and then drive on both sat and sun unless you can show an unbroken rest period of 24 hours

Ok to work in another job mon to fri 8 to 6 then drive on sat until noon then on sun after noon because from noon to noon is 24 hours
The week following the driver must have an unbroken 45 hours off so fitting any driving is going to be difficult to do legally

ROG

Visit site
For those privately driving LGVs over 7.5 tonnes GVW and on digital tachos the unit and card needs to be downloaded within certain time frames which could cause problems for a private user

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Thank you, that's very usefuL.

So how do people find out about these rules if they don't have access to a Rog?

Some people I teach recently bought a trailer and had no idea that you need to take a trailer test if you hadn't passed your test before a certain date. I know of another young woman who insists she can drive an information Williams 505 and 4x4 on her car licence, the combined weight must be over that allowed on a car licence? Sorry, that's trailers, not lorries!

ROG

Visit site
Thank you, that's very usefuL.

So how do people find out about these rules if they don't have access to a Rog?

Some people I teach recently bought a trailer and had no idea that you need to take a trailer test if you hadn't passed your test before a certain date. I know of another young woman who insists she can drive an information Williams 505 and 4x4 on her car licence, the combined weight must be over that allowed on a car licence? Sorry, that's trailers, not lorries!
As a driver of a LGV it is your responsibility to find any rules that cover what you are doing

Its no difference to a car driver that is so old that they never took a car test or a car driver who took the test some 25 years ago but has not bothered to find out what has changed since - it is their responsibility to find out

Many drivers do not need to pass a trailer test even if they passed after 1997 because the B licence towing laws allow them to do so

I think what you are saying is that those driving set ups which require a B+E licence are either unaware or have taken advice from those who passed before 1997 who assume the laws are unchanged

GinaGeo

Visit site
LICENCES
The age for drivng ANY LGV was lowered to age 18 from age 21 on 10 Setember 2009
LGV rigid C1 = 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes
LGV rigid C = 3.5 to any weight

DRIVER CPC (DCPC)
This is NOT required for the PRIVATE driving of any LGV ..... with one minor exception ....

Those who are under age 21 and wish to drive a PRIVATE LGV OVER 7.5 tonnes GVW on the public highway AFTER passing the LGV C test WILL need to take and pass the INITIAL LGV DCPC
They will not be required to take any of the 35 hours of LGV PERIODIC training because the INITIAL lasts for 5 years and that easily covers the age period from 18 to 21
As the likelyhood of anyone under age 21 will be driving a PRIVATE LGV over 7.5 tonnes is rare then I will only go deeper into the INITIAL LGV DCPC if needed.

Just to clarify - does this mean that at nineteen, I could do the cat C test? It would only be for personal use, moving my own horses around in a 6.5 ton van type horsebox.

If so that beats being reliant on parents for another two years before I can do my towing test.

Thank You!

ROG

Visit site
Just to clarify - does this mean that at nineteen, I could do the cat C test? It would only be for personal use, moving my own horses around in a 6.5 ton van type horsebox.

If so that beats being reliant on parents for another two years before I can do my towing test.

Thank You!
All LGV categories can be done at age 18 as of 10/09/2009

A driver under age 21 can drive a 7.5 or less privately without needing initial driver cpc

If a driver under age 21 wants to drive (after passing test) anything over 7.5 tonnes GVW then they will need to pass the initial driver cpc but that will not affect you as you will be driving under 7.5 GVW

you can do the towing test (B+E) at age 17 and if parents have B+E then they can supervise with you as learner

Last edited:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Not silly
Axles do have different weight limits with rear being greater than front in every case I have come across

It would depend on whether living has been built in as to how the distribution of other things such as horses would need to be loaded

Loading weight evenly from the front to rear of the original length of the loading space is always recommended

Thanks for that ROG, I think I need to put the heavier horses further towards the rear if I am travelling them on their own, rather than in the first bay in the partitions. Thanks again for your ever helpful replies :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
you can do the towing test (B+E) at age 17 and if parents have B+E then they can supervise with you as learner

Really!?! I always thought you had to be 21! That's very useful! So if I apply for my B+E provisional, get insured on the tow vehicle, and have L plates with I can tow with parents who have grandfather rights in the car? Glad I'm asked, I'd have spent another two years waiting! No idea where I got the 21 thing from!

Thank You ROG!

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Really!?! I always thought you had to be 21! That's very useful! So if I apply for my B+E provisional, get insured on the tow vehicle, and have L plates with I can tow with parents who have grandfather rights in the car? Glad I'm asked, I'd have spent another two years waiting! No idea where I got the 21 thing from!

Thank You ROG!
SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner