The HHO LGV (HGV) Info clinic

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, just wondering if you could help me. My lorry is an F reg, and over 7500kg GVW. I've been told that as it is now over 25 years old it is exempt from the European driving regs. Is this right?
Thanks for the help,
BCG
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...chographs-goods-vehicles-in-gb-and-europe.pdf = page 14 EXEMPTIONS for UK

Commercial vehicles that have a historic status according to the legislation of the Member State in which they are driven and that are used for the noncommercial carriage of goods
In the UK, a vehicle is a historic vehicle if it was manufactured more than 25 years before the occasion on which it is being driven.

I assume this is for private use?

BCG

New User
Visit site
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...chographs-goods-vehicles-in-gb-and-europe.pdf = page 14 EXEMPTIONS for UK

Commercial vehicles that have a historic status according to the legislation of the Member State in which they are driven and that are used for the noncommercial carriage of goods
In the UK, a vehicle is a historic vehicle if it was manufactured more than 25 years before the occasion on which it is being driven.

I assume this is for private use?

Thanks for the link ROG, I will have to wait until later tonight to look at it. Yes the lorry is only for private use. I try to start it take it for a little run round every weekend and just wanted to check I'm not doing anything I shouldn't!

Xtra

Visit site
hi a friend is looking to tow a double trailer (one horse) with a ford focus. Reading up on it this doesnt look safe. Will they be ok with just one horse?

Optimist

Visit site
Hi Rog, My 20 year old daughter and I are trying to fill in form D2, and are stuck on question 1..... Obviously she needs to apply for C, but what is the benefit of D as per your original post? She wants to get it right!! Also, does she need to have the medical before applying?

Do you have any recommendations for training schools near us? We are between Grantham and Melton Mowbray.

Finally, re trailer towing, assuming she has the correct provisional licence (do we need to apply for that or is it automatic?) Can I sit next to her on L plates? I have grandfather rights only (and know I can't sit next to her in our 7.5t lorry)

Thank you so much in advance.

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog, My 20 year old daughter and I are trying to fill in form D2, and are stuck on question 1..... Obviously she needs to apply for C, but what is the benefit of D as per your original post? She wants to get it right!! Also, does she need to have the medical before applying?

Do you have any recommendations for training schools near us? We are between Grantham and Melton Mowbray.

Finally, re trailer towing, assuming she has the correct provisional licence (do we need to apply for that or is it automatic?) Can I sit next to her on L plates? I have grandfather rights only (and know I can't sit next to her in our 7.5t lorry)

Thank you so much in advance.
By ticking C &D only on the D2 form it enables the driver to be medically covered by the D4 form for the whole lot which could be useful in the future - no extra cost for doing that

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

If going for C or C1 or B+E then I can HIGHLY recommend - http://www.dataacademy.co.uk/category-c

Tern

Visit site
Heya ROG, couldn't PM you but was told that if you passed driving text by "x" year you could drive a 7.5 ton with no additional tests? If this is true please could you confirm the year? many thanks.

ROG

Visit site
Heya ROG, couldn't PM you but was told that if you passed driving text by "x" year you could drive a 7.5 ton with no additional tests? If this is true please could you confirm the year? many thanks.
Those who passed the car test before 01/01/1997 got given free LGV C1 allowing the driver up to 7.5 tonnes GVW

To drive a LGV C1 commercially you now also need a DQC = driver CPC card

Private LGV C1 horsebox does not need DQC and does not come under EU tacho regs

The free pre 97 LGV C1 is medically valid until age 70

HMIS13

Visit site
Hi ROG,

I am looking to do my Cat C training soon in the Southampton area, is there anyone you could recommend for the training?

Thanks

Zerotolerance

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Thanks for all the info & clarification on here - really helpful and much appreciated.

Quick question regarding the EU Other Work regulations and apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere - haven't read the entire 17 page thread!

I have a Cat C licence and drive our 18ton horsebox and religiously fill in my analogue tacho cards. (Despite being told be a VOSA tester that he wasn't going to check the tacho as truck being private didn't need one!!! I did double check with VOSA as was convinced I was right and report him for misinformation....)
I am a self employed consultant and usually work 3-4 days per week. I can be flexible about the days I work, so what would be the best option to allow me to drive to shows on both Sat and Sun?
Also I have to date been keeping a diary in the lorry in which I record other work, plus driving, however I see that this is actually insufficient and I should be keeping cards for each day - is there anywhere that these can be bought or downloaded from, or do I just design my own?

Many thanks.

PS -A useful tip for medicals - I used a company called "Doctors on Wheels" last time and had my medical in a camper van in a lay by on the side of the A21 - at a very reasonable price if a little strange!!

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Thanks for all the info & clarification on here - really helpful and much appreciated.

Quick question regarding the EU Other Work regulations and apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere - haven't read the entire 17 page thread!

I have a Cat C licence and drive our 18ton horsebox and religiously fill in my analogue tacho cards. (Despite being told be a VOSA tester that he wasn't going to check the tacho as truck being private didn't need one!!! I did double check with VOSA as was convinced I was right and report him for misinformation....)
I am a self employed consultant and usually work 3-4 days per week. I can be flexible about the days I work, so what would be the best option to allow me to drive to shows on both Sat and Sun?
Also I have to date been keeping a diary in the lorry in which I record other work, plus driving, however I see that this is actually insufficient and I should be keeping cards for each day - is there anywhere that these can be bought or downloaded from, or do I just design my own?

Many thanks.

PS -A useful tip for medicals - I used a company called "Doctors on Wheels" last time and had my medical in a camper van in a lay by on the side of the A21 - at a very reasonable price if a little strange!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tachograph-...=1422462952&sr=8-1&keywords=tachograph+charts = One supplier but google for others

Diary is good as a back up

As a private LGV the tacho seal must be in place but that's it - no regular calibration checks needed

Official records only need to be made for each day worked in a week (sunday midnight to sunday midnight) where any EU regs driving was done
No records need to be made for non EU reg driving weeks
Each days record must have your name date start and finish time on it
Each record can be binned after 29 calendar days

Simplest way I can say this is ....... not legally precise but should do ....
No more than 6 days in a row can be worked which by default means each week will have one day off
At least every other week must have 2 days off together
Any day off that includes sunday midnight may be used for the week ending or the week starting but not both

Zerotolerance

Visit site
Thanks for speedy reply ROG - that's interesting re tacho. Having been told one year that I didn't (a) need to use it at all - which I ignored as per my original post and (b) it didn't need calibrating either, then the following year (different VOSA guy) truck failed as tacho hadn't been calibrated!

I have boxes of the paper tacho discs as per your link as that's what I already use for the tacho in truck, so can I just use one of these to manually record "other work" for EU purposes in the weeks where I drive?

I don't work Fridays, so if every other week I don't work Thursday too, think that means I'm okay....

ROG

Visit site
Thanks for speedy reply ROG - that's interesting re tacho. Having been told one year that I didn't (a) need to use it at all - which I ignored as per my original post and (b) it didn't need calibrating either, then the following year (different VOSA guy) truck failed as tacho hadn't been calibrated!

I have boxes of the paper tacho discs as per your link as that's what I already use for the tacho in truck, so can I just use one of these to manually record "other work" for EU purposes in the weeks where I drive?

I don't work Fridays, so if every other week I don't work Thursday too, think that means I'm okay....
YES and YES

avthechav

Visit site
Looks like one of them, I did my medical there on sat and it seemed like a nice set up and I liked the thought of the free initial assessment service that they offer. I am based in evesham Worcestershire and am open to recommendations if you have any :)

ROG

Visit site
Came across these videos all by the same training provider (who does plug his own company from time to time = expected) that explain much of what you need to know
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA4tO3fAovBEPmZ4mOcae5A
The driver cpc bit can generally be ignored because for the private (non commercial) driving of a horsebox it is not needed unless you are driving a LGV C and are aged under 21

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, I have just finished a CAT C driving course with Phil Brown's LGV driver training in Droitwich and they were completely fab. When I asked you, you said that you had not had experience or heard of them but just wanted to give you a recommendation for them in case anyone wanted to know good places in Worcestershire :).
Thank you for that

Mariposa

Visit site
Hi Rog

I'm completely confused and I hope you can help! Do you have to have a Drivers CPC if you just drive your own horses to competition? If I go to polo and drive my own ponies ( in a 7.5 tonne LGV) I thought I didn't need one, but I'm hearing through the polo grapevine that you do? And if our groom drives the ponies does she need one ( I'm assuming yes?!) SO confused!

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog

I'm completely confused and I hope you can help! Do you have to have a Drivers CPC if you just drive your own horses to competition? If I go to polo and drive my own ponies ( in a 7.5 tonne LGV) I thought I didn't need one, but I'm hearing through the polo grapevine that you do? And if our groom drives the ponies does she need one ( I'm assuming yes?!) SO confused!

No dcpc for you - no tacho for you as its private less than 7.5 tonnes GVW

Yes dcpc for groom as its being done commercially as part of a business - tacho could be needed but a distance exemption may apply if never goes more than 100 km from base

A1dexter

New User
Visit site
Hi there,

I have recently purchased a trailer and collect it on Saturday. I have read up on the laws but can't seem to make 100% sense of them and obviously want to be legal!

So, I passed my driving test after 1997 so will be required to hold my B+E license in order to drive it alone. My question relates to driving with someone who holds a license pre 1997 -

If I am in the car with someone who passed their test in 1990 (but hasn't since done a separate test for towing) can I drive legally with L plates displayed? On a separate note, if the answer to the above question is yes, can I drive on the motorway?

I aim to complete the B+E test later on in the year but would like to have some experience initially so I don't have to book as many days training as it is ridiculously priced!

Apologies if this has been asked before - I did search the forum but couldn't find anything specific.

Thanks in advance.
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...aws-Urgent-advice-please!#ifMeTtrlrx0KdwoK.99

popsdosh

Visit site
No dcpc for you - no tacho for you as its private less than 7.5 tonnes GVW

Yes dcpc for groom as its being done commercially as part of a business - tacho could be needed but a distance exemption may apply if never goes more than 100 km from base

Vosa are starting to take a view that if there is prize money involved it then becomes commercial use and will take you out of private use,so CPC and tacho would be required its a very grey area with horse sport and prize money and sponsorship.