The HHO LGV (HGV) Info clinic

GinaGeo

Visit site
Thank You Rog! Have broken the news to the parents, plans are in motion for adding L-plates and going out on a quiet evening!
Big Thank You!

Django Pony

Visit site
Quick question for you ROG, does having either a C or C1 mean you can tow a trailer as well, or would you have to do the trailer test separately?
Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Quick question for you ROG, does having either a C or C1 mean you can tow a trailer as well, or would you have to do the trailer test separately?
Thanks
To tow any trailer over 750 kgs max MAM needs a +E on the licence with the exception of the 3500 kgs max MAM/GVW rule for B

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
HI there can i ask a question?
I intend to buy a horse box for taking my two horses to shows etc but as the combined weight of my horses is over a ton i really need something bigger than a 3.5ton. I have no need or desire or money for a HGV lorry though, so only need a C1 I think. This is my situation - what would you recommend?
I am 37 - passed my driving test 3 years ago but in an automatic (So i have a restricted licence). As far as I can tell there is no way to get a Auto C1 licence (and anyway I gather automatic boxes are very rare) so is my only option to FIRST get a full manual driving license and then to get my C1? Or is there any other route with less tests or is there a C1 (auto restriction) option? Just not looking forward to all those tests ... any advice? thanks in advance

ROG

Visit site
HI there can i ask a question?
I intend to buy a horse box for taking my two horses to shows etc but as the combined weight of my horses is over a ton i really need something bigger than a 3.5ton. I have no need or desire or money for a HGV lorry though, so only need a C1 I think. This is my situation - what would you recommend?
I am 37 - passed my driving test 3 years ago but in an automatic (So i have a restricted licence). As far as I can tell there is no way to get a Auto C1 licence (and anyway I gather automatic boxes are very rare) so is my only option to FIRST get a full manual driving license and then to get my C1? Or is there any other route with less tests or is there a C1 (auto restriction) option? Just not looking forward to all those tests ... any advice? thanks in advance
You can go directly for a LGV C1 manual with your B auto licence

On passing C1 manual your B gets upgraded to manual for life

HGV is no more they are all LGV if over 3.5 tonnes GVW

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
You can go directly for a LGV C1 manual with your B auto licence

On passing C1 manual your B gets upgraded to manual for life

HGV is no more they are all LGV if over 3.5 tonnes GVW

Oh thanks! You just saved me from taking a whole test needlessly! Though I might still have a few lessons in a manual car first - just so that the first time I forget the clutch I don't moo down shoppers or something!

Seriously though do you have any recs for a nice LGV instructor in the midlands - Stratford Upon Avon way?

Liz

ROG

Visit site
Oh thanks! You just saved me from taking a whole test needlessly! Though I might still have a few lessons in a manual car first - just so that the first time I forget the clutch I don't moo down shoppers or something!

Seriously though do you have any recs for a nice LGV instructor in the midlands - Stratford Upon Avon way?

Liz

You have provisional for B manual so will need a supervising driver and be on L plates if driving a manual car

JLD driver training at Banbury woulld be my suggestion but not sure if they have C1 vehicle

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
You have provisional for B manual so will need a supervising driver and be on L plates if driving a manual car

JLD driver training at Banbury woulld be my suggestion but not sure if they have C1 vehicle

Thanks again - I knew the first point - I really meant I might have some lessons in a manual car before trying it in an LGV! Thanks for the Rec though - I will investigate
Liz

RobinHood

Visit site
Hi ROG. I've got a cat C licence and therefore C&E provisional. I've been driving an 18t rigid lorry with a 7t trailer, on L plates accompanied by a full licence holder. My question is can I drive combo on a motorway on L plates?

I recall when I did my cat C training we went on the motorway every morning and I'd like to think the LGV training company would know the rules, but I can't find the answer on the DVLA website.

Thanks

ROG

Visit site
A little update - cannot remember if I have mentioned already ... me getting old !!

Within the next few weeks a driver with a manual car licence who then pass any LGV test in an auto will get LGV manual due to an EU directive which should have been in force from 1st January this year

Those doing LGV C will also find that they will be loaded with 5 tonnes of weight in the form of 5 x 1000 litre water IBCs

No weight in C1s

ROG

Visit site
Drivers CPC sorry and yes modules 2 and 4
The best info on this is in the LGV TRAINING TIPS thread on the trucknetuk site newbies forum

Generally the mod 2 is done at the theory test centre and is a set of senarios with a few questions of multiple choice on each scenario

Mod 4 needs training for and is done at the practical test centre

Gemmabel

Visit site
Hi

Having just purchased a 6.6T horsebox i have some questions about the load.

If i just do the C1 license am i correct in that i will only be able to travel 1 horse and be under my weight limit?
If i do the full C test i can travel with a load up to the maximum vehicle limit which i think is 10T?
If i do the full C test and travel 2 horses i have to use the tacho which is fitted and record all my working hours inc what i do (8.30-5.30) during the week which is an office job?
My OH has a full HGV1 license, i think once i have taken the medical and got my provisional he can take me driving if we have L plates on? do i need to pass the theory & hazard perception before this?

sorry for the long list :)

ROG

Visit site
Hi

Having just purchased a 6.6T horsebox i have some questions about the load.

If i just do the C1 license am i correct in that i will only be able to travel 1 horse and be under my weight limit?
If i do the full C test i can travel with a load up to the maximum vehicle limit which i think is 10T?
If i do the full C test and travel 2 horses i have to use the tacho which is fitted and record all my working hours inc what i do (8.30-5.30) during the week which is an office job?
My OH has a full HGV1 license, i think once i have taken the medical and got my provisional he can take me driving if we have L plates on? do i need to pass the theory & hazard perception before this?

sorry for the long list :)
The licence you need depends on the plated GVW of the vehicle

If your horsebox is 6.6 tonnes GVW then its a LGV C1 licence and having a C will make no difference because the max the vehicle can be when fully loaded is 6.6 tonnes

If the vehicle is 10 tonnes GVW then it cannot be driven on a C1 licence but must be a C

Yes, the supervising driver can be OH as long as he has had a C for at least 3 years - L plates - correct insurance - you with LGV provisional

No tacho required for C1 vehicle if non commercial use

Full tacho regs if C vehicle in which case all other sorts of work done in the same week must be officially recorded and generally if you work mon to fri then you would only be able to drive for one day every other weekend

WHAT IS THE PLATED GVW OF THIS HORSEBOX?
WHAT IS THE EMPTY WEIGHT OF THIS HORSEBOX?

Gemmabel

Visit site
I remember seeing 10T somewhere so presume this is the GVW? The tax disc that has just come through said 6.6T so presume this is the empty weight?
will have a look on the plating when i get home. This stuff just really confuses me!

ROG

Visit site
I remember seeing 10T somewhere so presume this is the GVW? The tax disc that has just come through said 6.6T so presume this is the empty weight?
will have a look on the plating when i get home. This stuff just really confuses me!

Tax disc usually gives the GVW if I remember correctly

The V5 form will usually give lots of info

Gemmabel

Visit site
Hi ROG, me again!

here is a pic of my lorry plating. Still cant seem to find the empty weight or the payload? any ideas :)

TonbridgeandMalling-20140217-00049_zps1e08b7a3.jpg

ROG

Visit site
You will not find the empty weight to work out the payload from any plate

You have to take the vehicle empty to a weighbridge and weigh it with a full tank of fuel with the driver sitting in it

Once you have the ticket from the weighbridge you can then work out how many passengers horses tack etc etc you can load in it by taking the weighbridge weight from 6600 which is the GVW

that is a LGV C1 vehicle because the GVW is not more than 7500

You can tow a trailer but how big will depend on what licence you have such as C1 only or C1+E with 107 code or C1+E with no code or C+E

Last edited:

Gemmabel

Visit site
Thanks ROG that helps loads.

I am not looking to do a trailer test just the HGV. I am still undecided whether to do C1 or C, i think the cost will be around the same for both but am unsure how much harder the test will be.

Generally speaking with a lorry that size are you usually safe to travel 2 horses and not be overweight or does it vary hugely?

ROG

Visit site
Thanks ROG that helps loads.

I am not looking to do a trailer test just the HGV. I am still undecided whether to do C1 or C, i think the cost will be around the same for both but am unsure how much harder the test will be.

Generally speaking with a lorry that size are you usually safe to travel 2 horses and not be overweight or does it vary hugely?

Easily ok for 2 horses unless a very heavy living area has been fitted

You can tow a trailer with max plated MAM (or MTPLM if caravan) with a LGV C1 licence