The Peel case horses - the lost ones

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What!!! , and all of you are sensibly responding are you... I think not!
And my information is very valuable.

Valuable to whom?

And there quite a few 'sensible' answers and points you've yet to address.

Sorry your input thus far has absolutely no value.

saalsk

Visit site
What!!! , and all of you are sensibly responding are you... I think not!
And my information is very valuable.

Your information is as flawed and pathetic as the excuses given as to why those horses ended up in that state. I think it sad that you are trying to justify what you did, and hide behind lies, excuses, and ridiculous attempts to make it look like other people are supporting your hideous acts.

be positive

Visit site
Well for someone who's an ex officer I've seen my fair share of abuse , and those photos were taken at the equine support centre which is based at raskelf the GG centre as I took them ! Case closed !!

So you took the photos at what stage, many of the horses were shot within days so even if they arrived in "perfect" condition they could not have gone downhill so quickly for the so called rescue centre to be blamed for them losing weight and becoming covered in rainscald etc. Did you also take the video of the stables and kennels?

The fact that many were shot is a separate issue from the original case, but did have an effect on the outcome, and is not abuse in itself provided the end was humane and quick, Taragun was definitely badly treated but the fact that they were signed over by the Peels speaks for itself, no one would allow their horses to be taken if there was not clear evidence of problems.

There are two different issues 1 the Peels negligence 2 the handling of the whole case by the charities involved, both sides were in the wrong but two wrongs do not make one side right.

Last edited:

Bare hoof

Visit site
I can only give my account of what happened , so if people what to ask relevant questions relating to the case , I will do my best to answer.

be positive

Visit site
I can only give my account of what happened , so if people what to ask relevant questions relating to the case , I will do my best to answer.

But you haven't given an account of what happened, you have only hinted and made a few points, give a detailed account of what went on and we can then ask for details to be explained more fully, rather than a random collection of questions, not that I think you know what went on as so far your posts seem to be fairly pointless but it would be interesting to have an insiders view on how these poor horses were dealt with once they were in what should have been a place of safety.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
All the ones that were taken for our records which was leaked by a certain person to the paper

Well yes, there is straw in those pics, so I always assumed they were not taken on the premises which seemed to have none. I didn't think there was any question as to where those pics were taken?

Damnation

Visit site
She was convicted of 4 counts of animal cruelty. The conviction was overturned due to the RSPCA's inability to contest the appeal due to the witnesses not coming forward. NOT because Rachelle Peel is innocent.

I am not interested in getting involved in your dsiplays of emotion so I have decided to approach this from a more clinical point of view - something I am rather good at.

Abuse dictionary definition: treat with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly.
"riders who abuse their horses should be prosecuted"

Legal definition of animal abuse: n. the crime of inflicting physical pain, suffering or death on an animal, usually a tame one, beyond necessity for normal discipline. It can include neglect that is so monstrous (withholding food and water) that the animal has suffered, died or been put in imminent danger of death. (See: cruelty)

Opening the case for the RSPCA at Blackburn Magistrates’ Court, Iain O’Donnell said representatives of the Horses & Pony Protection Association attended Peel’s home address at Brookhouse Green Farm following a report of a dead horse in a field.

There were two living horses in the field and what appeared to be the remains of at least two more horses.

Inside the barn there were three horses which were living among the remains of four dead and decomposed horses.

7 horses all dead, some decomposed so been there for some time.

I would say that having them in the same living quaters as living horses is within the legal definition of Animal Abuse.

Everything I have said here Barehoof is a direct quote from the internet in the public domain.

I would also lastly like to draw your attention to the legal requirements of the disposal of animals in England which Rachelle Peel and family also neglected to do.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fallen-stock

Bare hoof

Visit site
The horses that arrived at equine support were not shot within days upon arrival. Yes they needed a good brush , and quite frankly a good bath. There was some that needed a trim, but we're not excessively long. There body scoring was lean. There was 3 with rainrot and mud fever but again not aggressive , we had notes to say there were been treated. A lot of the horses were bungled into a very dark barn which was overcrowded. I expressed my concerns regarding the welfare of the horses been in the overcrowded barn, But they were at breaking point and had no room. Hence why some got shot. They also could not be bothered to help them and spend money on medications to treat them. Also cooper Wilson got some of the horses mixed up in another case and unfortunately the peels horses got shot.

Last edited:

DD

Visit site
Rachelle Peel, the horses destroyed needlessly by the rspca were signed over to them by you. If you are as innocent as you claim, why did you sign them over? If you had not done so, they could not have destroyed them but once they had ownership they did what they do to many animals they "own". It seems to me you signed over horses and ponies that no longer had any use to you - including dear Taragun. And why on earth did you allow those horses to be transported over 70 miles on what appears to have been a cattle wagon? Again, proof that these horses meant nothing to you or your family. Why could you not bring yourself to come on this forum and ask for help. There were any number of people who would have been there to help the horses but I guess you have far too much pride to ask for help after everything you used to write as Templars. You had most of us fooled but like our horses we have long, long memories and the Arab world will never ever forget those souls unlucky enough to have come into your ownership.

copied and pasted from AL.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Your wildly varying ability to write is becoming hilarious. Exactly who do you think you are helping with these posts?

ossy

Visit site
I also find it curious that my factual posts and questions are being ignored.

I have asked brought this up 3 times now, I await your response.

Yes mine too about the h&h report video. Thankfully ester answer for me.
I won't comment further on the rug hanging off as I've had to "rescue" one of mine once in the field that did that but in particular the condition those dogs were living in? Is that acceptable to you bare foot?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The horses that arrived at equine support were not shot within days upon arrival. Yes they needed a good brush , and quite frankly a good bath. There was some that needed a trim, but we're not excessively long. There body scoring was lean. There was 3 with rainrot and mud fever but again not aggressive , we had notes to say there were been treated. A lot of the horses were bungled into a very dark barn which was overcrowded. I expressed my concerns regarding the welfare of the horses been in the overcrowded barn, But they were at breaking point and had no room. Hence why some got shot. They also could not be bothered to help them and spend money on medications to treat them. Also cooper Wilson got some of the horses mixed up in another case and unfortunately the peels horses got shot.

I am not involved in the case, but think you are incorrect about the horses being shot by accident. I recollect a newspaper article where Cooper Wilson was quoted as saying that he wanted to find a home for at least one of the horses, but was ordered to PTS by the RSPCA nevertheless. I particularly remember the article as I recollect thinking that his quote would not have gone down well with the RSPCA, and his business with them may suffer.

I believe it was at a time when he was having a lot of public flack, and I thought that he was trying to confirm that he was employed to PTS in a legal capacity, and was doing what he believed to be legally correct.

I have never knowingly met the man, I did once visit the GG centre to use the arenas, about 12 years ago, but will not be going back.

Nor will I be using C & C transport.

Bare hoof

Visit site
There was only two bodies at the farm. Black mare was one of them. As for cooper been ordered by the rscpa , yes this is true , but there's more to it. They were trying to cover up the deaths and keep it a secret, whilst claiming board and lodge for the dead horses. There were only 7 horses signed over all of which were older horses, and before you jump down my throat, no I don't think you should toss aside a older horse, or any animal for that matter. The peels were struggling and I could clearly see this, with the amount of animals they had. So signing over a few of them, would Indeed take the strain of the already difficulty situation they were in.
Taragun chestnut mare was never signed over.

Damnation

Visit site
There was only two bodies at the farm..

Seven carcasses were put forward as evidence within the trial and reported in the papers. If this were untrue it would have been removed, therefore seven were found. This cannot be disputed.

Also, I find it alarming that you describe two dead animals, probably from the result of lack of care as "only two dead bodies". Two dead rotting carcasses that have not been disposed of is illegal. The fact that there were any at all is too high.

I suggest you remove your rose tinted glasses.

paddi22

Visit site
There was only two bodies at the farm. .

The fact that you say 'only' is disgusting. and also i'd assume false as it wouldn't have been allowed into evidence.

If the Peels hadn't mistreated the horses so badly, then none of this would have happened. Both the peels and rspca are at fault, but the bigger guilt should rest on the peels for causing the situation in the first place.

Anyone who leaves two dead horses rotting on their property is disgusting, and there is no excuse in the world that can cover it

paddi22

Visit site
just watched that video. Barefoot, do you honestly believe that is deep littering??? really

its a disgusting, unmucked out bed that is just maid up of flattened ****. to keep a horse on that is disgraceful

Bare hoof

Visit site
The two bodies we're buried and had to be dug up. They had already been desposed of, they were buried like any beloved pet or a loved one.
And as I mentioned earlier in one of my posts , the filming took place In the morning so fresh bedding had not been provided at that Time. And they were shelter sheds, they could come in and out as they pleased. A shelter is not on your priorities as first job at hand, especially when it's in a field not close to the stables.
I don't need to justify myself as Iam going off the notes we had handed to us from this case.

paddi22

Visit site
that is bullshit about the beds. i have shelter stables and they don't look like that in the morning, and i have three horses that can go in and out as they please dragging mud from the field. what happens is poo builds up in areas, it doesn't just turn into a caked inches deep layer of pure **** like in that video, so thats a complete lie. i'l take a pic of mine tomorrow, and mine is direct from a grass paddock that gets muddy

you still don't answer why seven bodies were submitted as evidence?

be positive

Visit site

This is actually, apart from the alleged mix up identity shooting, pretty much how I see the horses from the photos and veterinary notes that were available, none had life threatening conditions, none were in really poor condition that a few weeks of tlc would not make a huge difference and I do think the RSPCA were completely wrong in how they dealt with the whole scenario, it seemed to be that they took the easiest option rather than look at the bigger picture, the fact that they were all quality horses that would have been far easier to rehome than many they take in was never considered, they didn't look for solutions they just assumed that blood horses would not find homes easily and had them shot which as they were signed over they legally could.

BUT it does not explain why there were several, 7 probably, dead horses in the fields and barns at the Peels, it does not explain why the horses were allowed to get into the state they were while the "better" horses were cared for to a reasonable standard, it does not explain why the "unwanted" ones were signed over or why ALL the horses were removed at the same time or why RP has never shown any remorse for what went on, from reading the threads on AL RP has been having problems for many years yet continued to buy and breed more and more when it should be obvious that 30 plus horses require a huge amount of money, time and effort to care for properly and cutting down rather than getting more should have been the way forward, there is no sympathy for someone who cannot see what is going on around them and "deals" with it by burying their head in the sand while their horses are suffering, if RP had asked for help before the horses were taken she would have had offers of help from her many contacts but she was still in denial then and she is still in denial now.

I know how easy it is to have too many horses and how easily the odd thing gets missed when you have more than you should in the winter, I have missed the odd injury/ weight drop myself because I have rushed about trying to fit in too much but I deal with it at the first opportunity, in the case of injury this will be the next day and ensure the horse gets the care required ASAP before it becomes a welfare case, one horse looking a bit poor can be excused, them all looking a bit scruffy can be excused, but nothing can excuse live horses living with dead ones under their feet while they try to get to some hay, even if it was "only" 2 dead that is 2 too many and the bodies should have been removed or the live horses removed from the dead ones.

Last edited:

Bare hoof

Visit site
I don't know why there was 7 horses on the farm. Our notes we were handed there was 7 that were signed over , 2 dead on the farm that had to be dug up , and 14 returned, 4 rehomed.