The thread of all Olympic Threads

KEK

Visit site
Yep she and JK are in Australia and she’s been saying it how it is. Have not heard her mention CDJ but lots of good chatter.

conniegirl

Visit site
6 non auto qualifiers i think.
1) Lottie Fry - 78.913
2) Carl Hester - 77.345
3) Isabel Freese - 76.397
4) Therese Nilshagen - 73.991
5) Emma Kanerva - 73.680
6) Sandra Sysojeva - 73.416

piebaldproblems

Visit site
Nicky commented that Sertorius looks to find trotwork easier than the canter and you could see that reflected in the frame, with the head dropping behind the vertical in the canter but not so much in the trot.

SAS56

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but I thought the idea of spurs was to give aids with smaller leg movements, quite a lot of the riders seem to have quite exaggerated movements, can anyone explain why?
It's a combination of poor riding, some horses less sensitive to the leg and poor training of the movements. Look at Carl Hester, his legs barely move and yet others have legs like pendulums especially asking for flying changes .... lol

Maxine67

Official Waffle Counter 🤣
Greater Manchester (although I still say Cheshire)
Visit site
It's a combination of poor riding, some horses less sensitive to the leg and poor training of the movements. Look at Carl Hester, his legs barely move and yet others have legs like pendulums especially asking for flying changes .... lol
Thank you that makes sense, I remember watching dressage years ago and hardly being able to see leg aids at all

Burnttoast

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but I thought the idea of spurs was to give aids with smaller leg movements, quite a lot of the riders seem to have quite exaggerated movements, can anyone explain why?
Should be possible to train changes to a movement of the seatbone. The only time I ever did one-times was because I wriggled about slightly and inadvertently in the saddle. The horse's owner, who was training me, found it hilarious. I was very pleased lol (just to be able to say I'd done them) but a lot more careful about my wriggling after that. I imagine if a horse's attention is taken up almost entirely by the discomfort in its mouth/head, large and obvious aids are needed to get through to them.

Maxine67

Official Waffle Counter 🤣
Greater Manchester (although I still say Cheshire)
Visit site
Should be possible to train changes to a movement of the seatbone. The only time I ever did one-times was because I wriggled about slightly and inadvertently in the saddle. The horse's owner, who was training me, found it hilarious. I was very pleased lol (just to be able to say I'd done them) but a lot more careful about my wriggling after that. I imagine if a horse's attention is taken up almost entirely by the discomfort in its mouth/head, large and obvious aids are needed to get through to them.
That's what was puzzling me, surely in these very sensitive horses the aids should be practically invisible 😕

SEL

Visit site
At least you got something fancy - I just got fabulous extended trot the one and only time I've ridden a top level horse.

Didn't matter what I thought I was asking, extended trot was what I got!!

Couldn't sit to it either so kudos to a patient horse who wondered why the idiot had been dumped on his back.

Still totally fascinated by the BMX tricks. Bonkers.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
🙄 some horses are naturally not as hot which Carl loves hence his legs don’t need to move as much. It’s nothing to do with poor training, some horses also shrink in the ring, some drop the leg and some find some movements easier than others and it gets highlighted in the piaffe/passage which needs a lot of energy from the horse. Some horses also get fatigued.
Making blanket statements like this drives me mad.

Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
With endless time like the classical bunch have because it’s about the purity of the training then this is correct because it’s not about competition and needing to do set movements in a set pattern like a GP test. The reality in a fast paced GP test this isn’t so feasible so the change is done with weight in seatbones and backed up with leg.

Burnttoast

Visit site
With endless time like the classical bunch have because it’s about the purity of the training then this is correct because it’s not about competition and needing to do set movements in a set pattern like a GP test. The reality in a fast paced GP test this isn’t so feasible so the change is done with weight in seatbones and backed up with leg.
Perhaps, but he was a horse competing for his country in his discipline (WE) and I don't think 'endless' time was taken in his training. Just the time required. He wasn't an ancient schoolmaster, he was about 12 at the time. It's also obvious that some riders need to 'back up' their seat aids a lot more than others - it's not as if tickling your horse's stifle with your spur should be necessary if you are among the elite.

Burnttoast

Visit site
At least you got something fancy - I just got fabulous extended trot the one and only time I've ridden a top level horse.

Didn't matter what I thought I was asking, extended trot was what I got!!

Couldn't sit to it either so kudos to a patient horse who wondered why the idiot had been dumped on his back.

Still totally fascinated by the BMX tricks. Bonkers.
Oh yes I've definitely been in that position as well 🤣

Burnttoast

Visit site
Also quite interesting that you distinguish between 'purity' of training and what's required for competition. I guess we do all accept that competitive dressage ceased to be anything other than quite grubby a long while back, though.