The thread of all Olympic Threads

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I think they're using a fair amount of terminology that wouldn't be understandable to a non-horsey audience anyway and BTV isn't a complicated thing to give a little explanation to.
Realistically how many non horsey people are watching dressage qualifiers given there are so many other less niche sports streaming

SAS56

Visit site
Not sure what I was hoping for when I decided to watch but it's no more horse friendly than it was before. So many horses wishing (if they could) that they were anywhere but there. Since I'm now feeling slightly nauseated after flipping back to look at Freestyle's test, I'm going to have some tea and do some work and try not to think about the practically zero influence I have in this situation.
With you on this. It was never made public what the fallout was with MSJ and CJD over Freestyle. It seemed to happen after the blood incident and choosing Gio for the Olympics. Strange, she will obviously be competed until her nerves get the better of her but she does seem to be very fragile, mentally.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Listening to her comments gives me a good insight into why dressage judging is as it is now. Top riders are awarded best marks, flashy front end movers ditto, ignore the mouth and obvious tension and undermark perfectly correct movements that lack pizzazz. A halt that is all over the place gets a mark of 8 if you are a "name" - Time to move on FEI
Also quite unsympathetic to the horses in many ways - 'the rider can only work with what horse they have on the day' well ditto, the horse can only work with the rider it has on the day!

Burnttoast

Visit site
Also quite unsympathetic to the horses in many ways - 'the rider can only work with what horse they have on the day' well ditto, the horse can only work with the rider it has on the day!
And the moment where the Finnish horse shot away from the spur in the zigzag and the commentator said 'the horse has dropped him there'. I was open-mouthed. A tall guy with long spurs who appears to have no control over his leg in the changes and it was the horse's fault.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
It's a very nice rendition of it. I'm not a fan of this French test at all, the horse is very tense and the frame very tight and BTV, but, if nothing else, the music has been lovely.
Yes, I struggle to see tension etc but even I can see how sticky this horse is.i focused on the music as not enjoying seeing this one.

SAS56

Visit site
Done plenty of writing for dressage judges and I am now getting as bored as I used to, watching this today. The test seems so long after the eventers shortened one. Surely this must add to the reasons dressage horses seem so much sourer than their eventing counterparts. Not a lot of enjoyment to be had in their lives is there?
She's fangirling again over the Polish horse. Another flashy front ender.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Only 8 yrs old. Very willing horse but will that be to her detriment to be trained to this level so quickly? (Asking as genuinely curious about thoughts on that).

SAS56

Visit site
Only 8 yrs old. Very willing horse but will that be to her detriment to be trained to this level so quickly? (Asking as genuinely curious about thoughts on that).
My thoughts are yes, it depends on how she is managed. She has obviously got a good temperament unlike some of the progeny of Totilas who were competed far too early and blew up mentally as well as being unable to perform the movements physically. This is a mare though so will always be used for breeding when finished competing - and during with embryo transfer I expect. Times have changed.

piebaldproblems

Visit site
As much as I want to be complimentary about a Polish rider, and the test was pretty harmonious though the mouth got unsettled at times, I wonder if Maxima Bella's perfect (for modern dressage) movement and build has meant she's been pushed a little faster than she should have been.

I wish her a long career as she's clearly got the heart for it.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Come on Nicky - what about the BTV?
It's interesting that's the second really clear example I can think of today where the male commentator invited some discussion on something questionable and Nicky dodged it. The other was the guy doing fairly obviously weird stuff with his hands (although that horse got the blame for the contact issue).