The thread of all Olympic Threads

TheMule

Visit site
Thank goodness, the clip I saw was just a few seconds of him hopping on three legs but I didn’t want to click on it because I thought it might be clickbait.

He kicked it hard with his spurs as the horse went to stop instead of transitioning to passage out of the final piaffe. The horse reacted like a horse would if it's used to being jabbed in the ribs with sharp spurs 👎

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
He kicked it hard with his spurs as the horse went to stop instead of transitioning to passage out of the final piaffe. The horse reacted like a horse would if it's used to being jabbed in the ribs with sharp spurs 👎
I found that very hard to watch. Not necessarily because I thought it was lame but such a sorry sight hopping around on three legs, and then the horse was just so unhappy all the way out afterwards. Most of them seem to relax when they finish and wander out, some have a bit of a spook, but this one just seemed kind of 'stuck' in passage and looking really stressed.

GreyDot

Visit site
I found the amount of open mouthed, teeth baring horses really difficult to watch. To see them rewarded with 7s and 8s was difficult to understand. Freestyle looked horribly tense, as did that chestnut from the USA team.
This type of obvious stress would never be rewarded at UA or your standard BD competition, so why at the Olympics? And the amount of horses who couldn't even halt. I am a complete dressage enthusiast but have found the majority of tests difficult to watch.
I look forward to the double bridle no longer being mandatory and hope for a properly fitted noseband, and freedom for the horse to relax into their movements.

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
I'm just catching up on some key tests after a morning of work calls.

I didn't think Glamourdale was more open in his frame than usual tbh - he has a much better neck conformation than Everdale and has always presented a nicer picture IMO. Lottie rode it fairly quietly, he can do a far more 'spectacular' test but I suspect team orders have been to play safe for qualification and save the horses for the weekend. Let's hope they maintain the softness while they go for more expression...

Freestyle definitely looked a bit tense, aside from the contact issue her ears are usually a lot floppier! She looks better than she did with CDJ because she's stronger and more experienced - I don't think we should underestimate how many of the basics were installed by CDJ (hopefully without whips.....).

Back to work now so will watch more later, I'm not sure I can face watching the Werth/Helgstrand combo though!
I miss her floppy ears, they are lovely!

Janique

Visit site
Shame about Steve Guerdat, i like him, he has a good name for caring for his horses, he is one of the good one,
resting them and looking after them well.

teapot

Visit site

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Anyone watching the SJ qualifiers?
Me.

I think SJ, perhaps more-so than dressage, is a prime example of where 'the bit is only as harsh as the hands on the reins' really really goes out of the window! Hoping to see some harmonious rounds though.

ETA - it will be interesting to see how the wider criticism of horse sports touches on the SJ compared to the dressage.

Kat

Visit site
Just caught King Edward who looked as though he was finding it easy and would have been happy with another foot on the fences.

Ben's round was lovely, he is such a quiet rider. Lovely mare who looked to have plenty of scope!