The thread of all Olympic Threads

SAS56

Visit site
It's been years since I've seen or read about equestrian disciplines and it shows as there are so many riders and horses I've not heard of.
Me too , used to love SJ andd competed a bit up to about 1.5 mtrs but gone off it a bit now. Fences are monstrously big and I just think the horses have too make too much of an effort. They don't seem to enjoy the jumping as much as the eventers. I was watching the video of Laura C jumping London 52 for the first time after Tokyo and he was bucking and squealing - it was fabulous.

Kat

Visit site
Some of these look like walking tack shops and you can barely see any face, hideous
I've seen lots of snaffles too though, and a bitless bridle in the ring a second ago.

I'm not watching closely so don't know what the proportion is though. I'm a bit wary of some of the "look at all the metal" posts having recently seen a friend of a friend who show jumps getting crucified on social media due to "all that metal" when it was a snaffle and bitless with two reins. Looks a lot but is actually a pretty good set up for lots of horses, and is used by a few show jumpers.

SAS56

Visit site
What a nice team of great horsemen we have for the UK. Messrs Charles, Maher and Brash are all terrific riders and some of the lesser riders could do worse than looking at their styles and horsemanship. Just lovely to watch.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I really, really wish th commentators would say when the lesser riders are out of their depth. The horse is not a machine, if fence after fence is down and the rider isn't seeing a stride, I couldn't less if he is only 23 or 63 he shouldn't be at this level ... by all means invite all countries to take part but not at the expense of horse welfare.

That’s kind of why I wonder whether horse sports belong at the Olympics. You sometimes see good horses bought by unknown countries and riders and not looking very nice going round.

SAS56

Visit site
That’s kind of why I wonder whether horse sports belong at the Olympics. You sometimes see good horses bought by unknown countries and riders and not looking very nice going round.
Agreed, and with the dressage - I wonder how many of them are trained and ridden by others and handed back to the rider to compete ( A Pidgley and C Dufour!)