The thread of all Olympic Threads

equidstar11

Visit site
Just caught King Edward who looked as though he was finding it easy and would have been happy with another foot on the fences.

Ben's round was lovely, he is such a quiet rider. Lovely mare who looked to have plenty of scope!
Did you spot his shoe (or maybe even shoe*s*) fly off at the end of the round? Shame not barefoot anymore….

Also noticed lack of browband, didn’t know that would be comp legal! Good to know…

U.N.Owen

Visit site
Sure.

However, I suppose without giving the rider stick; the point still remains that this test scored 72.5% 😕.
Yes that to me is the issue. Sure the horse got tense and reverted back to original training/nature but if the judges marked accordingly then it would be seen as less of a "problem" I guess.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Compared to the eventers, and especially compared to the dressage riders, a lot of these showjumpers don't seem to be patting their horses.
Fully owning that I'm not really into SJ but at one of the handful of things I've been to I did comment once that very few people ever seem happy regardless of how their round went, compared to the Eventing I've been to. Faults? Serious face. Clear? Serious face. Ignore the horse. Not everyone obviously and I do understand for some people they are at work when competing, but many people it's their hobby and I just thought there was a lack of joy around compared to eventing. Even the dressage I've written for, most people breathe a big sigh of relief and smile at the end and give the horse some fuss.

equidstar11

Visit site
Compared to the eventers, and especially compared to the dressage riders, a lot of these showjumpers don't seem to be patting their horses.
I noticed this - also more frustration when fences come down. I understand tensions are high, but the horses are trying nonetheless.

I’ll be honest most of the showjumping looks very messy - so much ‘tack’ and big bits -
Fully owning that I'm not really into SJ but at one of the handful of things I've been to I did comment once that very few people ever seem happy regardless of how their round went, compared to the Eventing I've been to. Faults? Serious face. Clear? Serious face. Ignore the horse. Not everyone obviously and I do understand for some people they are at work when competing, but many people it's their hobby and I just thought there was a lack of joy around compared to eventing. Even the dressage I've written for, most people breathe a big sigh of relief and smile at the end and give the horse some fuss.
I’m a showjumper, and I’ve really, really gone off top / higher level sport. Always thought the height etc was a bit much, would rather see slightly lower and more complex lines/distances personally, but I know they can clearly manage it…

Agree there’s much less appreciation for the horses, and they’re all out there doing a bloody good job. :(

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I had heard he is wearing shoes now, I think I heard it was behind only which is unusual
I heard the Swedish team have had to put shoes on in front as they found this arena too hard but glue on.
.my teams meeting which was supposed to end 19:30 has only just finished so setting down to Eurosport. Only till just after 12 though as I have a hospital appointment this afternoon

piebaldproblems

Visit site
This has been my experience too. I think all the dressage riders yesterday instantly dropped the reins and gave their horses huge pats as soon as the test were over, even the tests that weren't nice watching.

Maybe it's a cultural difference because there's so much more money in showjumping?

SAS56

Visit site
I really, really wish th commentators would say when the lesser riders are out of their depth. The horse is not a machine, if fence after fence is down and the rider isn't seeing a stride, I couldn't less if he is only 23 or 63 he shouldn't be at this level ... by all means invite all countries to take part but not at the expense of horse welfare.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I really, really wish th commentators would say when the lesser riders are out of their depth. The horse is not a machine, if fence after fence is down and the rider isn't seeing a stride, I couldn't less if he is only 23 or 63 he shouldn't be at this level ... by all means invite all countries to take part but not at the expense of horse welfare.
Really noticing that in the commentary for Eventing and the Dressage particularly we were very much 'all about horse welfare' being mentioned a lot. I don't think it's been mentioned at all yet this morning.

piebaldproblems

Visit site
Really noticing that in the commentary for Eventing and the Dressage particularly we were very much 'all about horse welfare' being mentioned a lot. I don't think it's been mentioned at all yet this morning.
It's interesting, isn't it, when you think that showjumping has arguably had more controversy than eventing recently with the various rapping allegations.

They have mentioned the vettings several times though.

piebaldproblems

Visit site
Brazil's first horse has been eliminated for blood after leaving the arena. Commentator stressing that it doesn't mean anything untoward has happened so they are clearly aware of social license.