The thread of all Olympic Threads

Fieldlife

Visit site
There's no turnout at most shows but they normally have areas where horses can be hand grazed and the grooms will take them for a walk and a graze however much suits the horse.

I have a family member who grooms at the top level (not dressage) and they all have plans for their horses. He has some horses who aren't that bothered about hand grazing and so they might only go out a few times a day, and another who lives out at home so they take out as much as possible and they hand graze it for many hours a day, wheneverthey aren't doing something else.

At the Olympics the grooms have one horse rather than several so the horses will get more one on one time, and will get out as much as they need.

My warmblood lives out 24-7. I take him to lots of camps and stay away competitions. If coralling him isnt an option, I hand walk and hand graze him multiple times a day. Including last thing at night and first thing in the morning.

Mixture of reasons - he is used to being able to move and graze, he's not a fan of too long being stabled, I want to keep grass going through his gut so no a huge change of diet, it's important for his mental welfare.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Nicky Pasco has obviously had a lot of comments about her commentating, judging by her FB post.
Wow, sounds like more than just comments on her commentary which isn't really on. And so once again it becomes about a social media spat rather than opening up valid conversations about, for example, do we really need more 'pizzazz' in dressage? Can we be more horse-centred when we talk and think about horse sports? Can we be more mindful about pedestalling top riders? Etc.

ETA - totally going to own my critique of the commentary but it never occurred to me to go on her Insta and tell her I thought it was awful. Where's that going to get us?

teapot

Visit site
Commentary must be one of the hardest jobs in the world, especially if you're not doing it week in, week out. Was she that bad? I've not watched any of the dressage.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
The bits I saw were far from great but I dont think it's necessarily wholly a reflection on her per se but of the wider dressage community & what they think is acceptable, ideal etc.

I mean, to be fair, there are plenty of times at work I can't publicly say it as I see it so who knows if she could even talk freely?

So, yeah, not great but a long way from being justifiably vilified on SM.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Commentary must be one of the hardest jobs in the world, especially if you're not doing it week in, week out. Was she that bad? I've not watched any of the dressage.
Second day was better I think. First day got into the CDJ stuff in a way that was really frustrating to listen to, and I thought it was unwise and unhelpful to bring up that the person in the video laughing is the horse's owner (I've not seen that written anywhere, don't know if true). I thought she was quite negative about some people who were actually doing okay (and to many of us preferable) tests as if they were doing a really crap job, and it was raised on here about a bit of a 'fangirling' (pedestalling) tone for the big name riders. Her comment about horses being correct but needing to have more 'pizzazz' was also picked up on, but as @MuddyMonster says I think it's a reflection of the wider competitive dressage scene.

If I'd have know that she had sort of been roped into it, I would take back my comment about her dodging a couple of the questions from the male commentator as I think on reflection that was quite unfair of him to ask someone who isn't really used to commentating. Also I'd said about facing up to using BTV rather than the euphemistic language but now I get the context I can understand better why she wouldn't have.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I don't think anyone cancelled necessarily. She just says on her FB page she didn't apply, she's not a professional and was asked to do it and was totally unprepared for the attacks on social media

YourValentine

Visit site
Team final order to gohttps://olympics.com/OG2024/pdf/OG2024/EQU/OG2024_EQU_C51(S)B_EQUOJUMPTEAM----------FNL-000100--.pdf

Starts at 1pm UK time, Brits are 8th, 18th and 28th in. Ten teams only for this one, lowest team score wins. If there are equal team scores, it goes to a jump off.
Until I read about the jump off I thought this related to the DR and was very confused about the lowest team score...😆

saalsk

Visit site
Eurosport 2 from 1300 according to my listing - I can watch the 2 Eurosport channels for free with sky (well, you know what I mean, they are in the basic package, not an extra option)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site

I can't embed the link for some reason but here's a breakdown of tack in the show jumping yesterday if anyone interested.